Latest news:

Next Game: GP Sun 13th Sep Home v Northampton Saints ko 2.00pm live on BT
Game After: ERCC Sun 20th Sep Home v Castres Olympique ko 3.00pm live on BT

Rugby Commentators/Summarisers
Discussion started by Yorkie , 15 September, 2020 14:02
Rugby Commentators/Summarisers
Yorkie 15 September, 2020 14:02
My current favourite has got to be David Flatman.

"I got a few yellows but they were mainly for punching Lawerence Dallaglio which back in those days was deemed a forgivable offence, if not worthy of a bonus!"

Clear, concise observations that are bag on the button imvho. No flowery rubbish.

Austin has gone off the boil for me of late (but still quickly analyses what's going on far better than anyone else) and Ben Kay doesn't really seem to add any insight to what's going on nowadays. And the banter between to two is becoming repetitive and cringeworthy. Could never cope with the rubbish spouted by Dallaglio and Ugo Monye is another that adds very little, just stating the blindingly obvious.

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Re: Rugby Commentators/Summarisers
Tom Paine 15 September, 2020 14:16
Agree. Why I prefer Channel 5 highlights. I think Ugo is improving. Need to keep Austin and Ben apart as the banter has descended to childishness.

Brownian Motion 15 September, 2020 14:32
Just what does Ben Kay do? He just inanely agrees with the man from Everest and chunters on about his playing days. Seems about as much as he does as a director of Tigers, then...

ttbb 15 September, 2020 14:55
I agree that Austin seems to have by far the best understanding of defensive and attacking formations/tactics. I suppose that's how he was able to play every position in the backline- he took the trouble to understand it all the way a coach would rather than blindly doing his job as he was told to do it.

Captain Darling 15 September, 2020 15:08
Many Tigers fans may not like this... But I thought Hartley was a breath of fresh air in the 6 Nations coverage. Brian O'Driscoll and Paul O'Connell offer really good insight. There are a few of the more recently retired players who I feel are better as pundits.

The 'talking heads' side of 6 Nations coverage has been dire for a while on the Beeb and ITV it must be said though. Castaignade and Wood are solid but Guscott and Nicol give the impression that they get woken from cryogenic freezing each February for all the insight they give into the modern game. Woodward is no better on ITV. It pains me to say it but Johnno is tough to listen to at times as well during his appearances. Great player and bloke but you can tell he feels finished with modern rugby (as he's admitted in the past) from how he speaks about the game these days.

Wilko has some interesting insights but I often feel he'd be better on the mic as a secondary commentator going into more depth during breaks in play. Similar to what Moore does whilst Butler commentates on the play-by-play stuff. In the studio Jonny often just sits awkwardly looking like he's trying not to roll his eyes at Clive bringing up games from 2 decades ago.

Safe to say I feel the 6 Nations coverage could do with a whirlwind rather than a breath of fresh air!

SK 88 15 September, 2020 15:11
I still like Austin on most games, though he winds me up on our games.

Ben Kay just seems to be a thick blazer these days, "chunters on" is a good description.

The "banter" between Eykin or Mullins and then Kay in particular but also the others is so chummy and dull. It's like the bad old days of sky. Except arguably worse because the broadcast twice as many games!

Dylan Hartley was good on the BBC last 6N.

Captain Darling 15 September, 2020 15:22
It's easy to forget how dire the old Sky coverage was!

That said Greenwood was a rare bright spark in amongst it and I do enjoy Greenwood as a pundit and writer. His rugby podcast is one of the better ones out there as well in my opinion.

Kay isn't great these days (his technical input on areas such as the lineout are less frequent now it feels) but he's still light years ahead of Dallagio in the thick blazers role. LOL is painful to listen to as a pundit.

SK 88 15 September, 2020 15:30
My favourite Dallaglioism is where he explains how clear and obvious a decision was by the referee as they cue up the replay, then as it unfolds he realises it was much closer than all that and umms and errs all over it.

The job of the TV pundit is to be a critical and sceptical friend. They all seem very keen on the friend bit and not so much on the scepticism or criticism bits!

I don't mind Paul Grayson but he is a bit compromised with his son being a current player, and one with reasonable hopes for a international future. I like Chuter on the radio, I think I'd enjoy him being a pundit on TV.

000mjg 15 September, 2020 21:30
Agree Flats is great and favourite when he is with Ugo (for the laughing and being his straight man). I thought Austin not been at best since restart as well but still rate his analysis..
Nick Mullins seems to be able to get the best out of most people which shows his class.
Outside field was Wayne Barnes before the season paused which was especially interesting imo.

S4llyC 16 September, 2020 08:30
For pure match commentary itís hard to beat Nick Mullins.
Flats is a breath of fresh air, with good analysis coupled with just the right amount of humour.
Ugo has improved and makes a decent contribution when heís alongside the commentator.
Austinís analysis of the game is excellent and his explanations are great for the understanding of tactical play and skills development. Sadly he always has an agenda - be it slagging off a ref decision, taking a pop at a player (Zack Henry in the Saints game, taking an extreme view to avoid being labelled biased in Tigers favour?) or just being Oz - and for me that detracts from his good points.
BK and Dallaglio are nice enough blokes but both offer little original analysis these days. SKís description above re Lol is spot on.

ttbb 16 September, 2020 12:49
I beg to differ on Nick Mullins- can't stand him. Barnes reincarnated. Talks anti-Tigers twaddle.

Rich W 16 September, 2020 13:36
As a Wigston boy and lifelong Tigers fan I'm not sure about that.

S4llyC 16 September, 2020 14:33
Quote:
Rich W

Birstall (ex Stonehill school, so he told me once) or so Iím led to believe, Rich. Canít say Iíve ever noticed him show any particular bias, either for or against Tigers, in his commentary myself - very much sticks to the facts and the stats. Each to their own...

Duncan Keene 16 September, 2020 14:39
He did a good interview on the 'Cue Commentator' podcast with Nick Heath, he claims to still be an avid Leicester City fan but to have let his Tigers' support lapse so as not to be biased.

If he is negative i think only in the same way many of us are who have seen brighter days!

Rich W 16 September, 2020 15:04
Quote:
S4llyC
Quote:
Rich W

Birstall (ex Stonehill school, so he told me once) or so Iím led to believe, Rich. Canít say Iíve ever noticed him show any particular bias, either for or against Tigers, in his commentary myself - very much sticks to the facts and the stats. Each to their own...

I thought he told me Wigston - but it was in the week before Paris so my memory is likely playing tricks.

Either way I agree.

And with Duncan - he may be negative but there are plenty of us that are at times perceived as negative - most of us, I suspect, think we're being honest!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net