Latest news:

Next Game: ERCC Sat 26th Sep Away v RC Toulon ko 8.00pm live on BT
Game After: AP Wed 30th Sep Away v Bristol Bears ko 5.30pm live on BT

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Bristol on standby for Premiership final if Wasps have more positive Covid tests
Discussion started by harlequinade , 16 October, 2020 18:32
Bristol on standby for Premiership final if Wasps have more positive Covid tests
harlequinade 16 October, 2020 18:32
bbc

Bristol will face Exeter in the Premiership final next Saturday if Wasps record more positive tests for Covid‑19 next week and are unable to prepare for the Twickenham showdown.

And no doubt Bath if Exeter get any infections tomorrow!

Can't be right though can it?

Life is short,
and art long,
opportunity fleeting,
experimentations perilous,
and judgment difficult.

Re: Bristol on standby for Premiership final if Wasps have more positive Covid tests
Rich W 16 October, 2020 18:56
Absurd.

Re: Bristol on standby for Premiership final if Wasps have more positive Covid tests
Yorkie 16 October, 2020 19:52
Perhaps not "right" but there is some logic to it if Wasps have to default because they can't put out a team. In a way, Exeter should be awarded the game but the tv and sponsors will want the payoff final played. And with the Bristol squad still together, rather than told to go off on holiday and rest, there is a ready made and logical team to be allowed to replace Wasps.

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Tiggs 16 October, 2020 20:36
A load more cases spread around the teams and Tigers might make the final yet !!

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/103/103_0_1529059667.jpg

daktari 16 October, 2020 22:39
Quote:
Tiggs
A load more cases spread around the teams and Tigers might make the final yet !!
We could field our strongest 23 against any depleted academy team from the oppo and still kick our possession away at every opportunity and heroically lose, whilst giving the oppo a TBP victory and the happy clappers would still see progress and continue to claim we are in yet another endless transition year, failing to recognise and smell the aroma of the aribica.(Sm161)

PrestonTiger 16 October, 2020 22:53
It would be nice to have a trip to Twickenham- not been there for Tigers final in quite some time...

....oh bhugger we're not allowed in even if we do get there by default.

IDLETIMES 17 October, 2020 14:12
So not only do we have the payoff farce, now it could be won by a team that didn't reach the final.(Sm132)(Sm132)

tigersimon 19 October, 2020 14:13
4 more Wasps players have tested positive!

Decision tomorrow on whether they can play or not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/10/2020 14:18 by tigersimon.

SK 88 19 October, 2020 14:54
Who the 8 players are is now pretty key to my mind.

If we're looking at academy boys like Toby Fenner, Rob Hardwick (yes popped up there), and fringe back guys like Sam Wolstenholme it's fairly low likely to be spreading further in the first team with the isolation etc.

If it's all the first team forwards then it's likely to be spread further among that group surely.

Certainly building Wasps into their favourite place for finals as absolutely massive underdogs!

RushdenTiger (KT at work) 19 October, 2020 14:59
I've said on many occasions (sort of) that winning this season's cup thing would be the most worthless trophy since King Pyrrhus of Epirus triumphed in the Southern European championships in 281 B.C. even before this latest nonsense. I don't know what further little wheezes they can invent in the next few days to make it even more farcical but I'm sure they'll be something else cooking.

Please let this season end!

harlequinade 19 October, 2020 20:05
bbc

Wasps: Three more positive Covid-19 tests puts Premiership final appearance in doubt

and this is the worst of it....
Quote:
"To be in a situation where even now, we're still waiting for sure if we've played our final match in this season of all seasons, I've got a players' room next door all decked out in tropical and Hawaiian gear where we were supposed to having our socially-distanced party to wrap up the season.
"We were told we were going to get an answer on Monday morning, so we were hoping to have that party in the afternoon, but we'll keep waiting."

Bristol already have plenty to celebrate after their 32-19 European Challenge Cup final win against Toulon on Friday, plus a third-place finish in the Premiership.

"The players have been great throughout all this," added Lam. "Myself included, we were all booked for holidays this week and ready to go.

"We've put them all on hold for now.

Life is short,
and art long,
opportunity fleeting,
experimentations perilous,
and judgment difficult.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/10/2020 20:13 by harlequinade.

PrestonTiger 19 October, 2020 21:13
Yes they're really going to keep their social distance when getting p1shed in hawiian garb.

RushdenTiger (KT at work) 20 October, 2020 08:46
The death of credibility by a sport to blind to see.

Cancel the @#$%& thing now and give it to Exeter. Who cares anyway?

Fat Boy 20 October, 2020 09:13
Quote:
RushdenTiger (KT at work)
The death of credibility by a sport to blind to see.
Cancel the @#$%& thing now and give it to Exeter. Who cares anyway?

I'm happy for Wasps to be given a chance to get the all clear - thought presumably it will mess up their preparation if they've been isolating/distancing while waiting for follow up tests, and confirmation of who is/isn't in the clear (and the odds of getting that all clear look increasingly slim)...

However, to have Bristol play instead would be a farce. They weren't good enough to qualify, so shouldn't be in the final. End of. If Wasps can't field a team, then they forfeit - it's tough on them and not how Exeter would want to win, but in my mind that makes Exeter champions. Probably deservedly so as well. If Bristol won after being knocked out in the semi it would be a farce.

tigerburnie 20 October, 2020 10:58
It's all about the money
[www.youtube.com]

AndyY 20 October, 2020 11:56
Exeter finished top of the league so they are champions anyway in the mind of most sane people.

What will happen if Wasps have to forfeit and both Bristol and Exeter produce a number of positive tests in the next couple of days following their "socially distanced" celebrations over last weekend?

PrestonTiger 20 October, 2020 15:57
You could always let them play... then just use Twickenham to isolate them all for 2 or 3 weeks

GT1 20 October, 2020 20:09
Why is this game being played at Twickers??
Seems strange to me that the Champions cup final was played at a smallish stadium but this lesser comp final will go to a huge stadium with no one in it!!!
I can only assume it's already paid for but once finalists were know it could have been played anywhere - Bath/Glos etc!

tigersimon 21 October, 2020 09:02
Wasps can play on Saturday

Brownian Motion 21 October, 2020 09:22
Quote:
GT1
Why is this game being played at Twickers??
Seems strange to me that the Champions cup final was played at a smallish stadium but this lesser comp final will go to a huge stadium with no one in it!!!
I can only assume it's already paid for but once finalists were know it could have been played anywhere - Bath/Glos etc!

I guess because the CC final had to be moved, whereas the Prem doesn't.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net