Latest news:
New Page 1

Welcome to The Saracens. Our message board is primarily a place for Saracens fans to discuss our club. We welcome posters from other clubs as long as their posts are respectful and not repetitive and our guidelines are followed. To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE,
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
LOCKDOWN!

Latest: SARACENS 23:14 LEICESTER TIGERS
Next: God only knows!

Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: tbc

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Squad and Contracts 2019/20
Discussion started by Barty II , 09 April, 2019 14:59
Squad and Contracts 2019/20
Barty II 09 April, 2019 14:59
Doing this again and getting in early to keep track... Tricky really as some players have their contracts renewed without announcement (fair), we often don't release news of a squad/academy player departing (poor), and players joining the senior academy are often kept under the radar (fair). But here goes nothing.And keep the quibbling over players primary position to a minimum - who knows where the likes of Lozowski and Daly will feature next year anyway!

Players Out
LP - Hayden Thompson-Stringer - Brive
HK - Tadgh McIlroy - Released
HK - Christopher Tolofua - Toulon
TP - Christian Judge - Ex Loan, signed for Bath
TP - Hisa Sasagi - Ex Loan (Otago)
TP - Billy Walker - Nottingham
LK - Dominic Day - San Diego Legion
FL - Schalk Burger - Retired
FL - Jack Nay - Released
N8 - Joel Conlon - Retired
N8 - Alfie Scopes - Loughborough Uni
N8 - Sione Vailanu - Wasps
SH - Alex Gliksten - Cambridge Uni/Bedford Blues
SH - Henry Taylor - Northampton Saints
C - Reuben Bird-Tulloch - Northampton Saints
C - Marcelo Bosch - Burton
C - Tom Griffiths - Dragons
WG - Oli Morris - Worcester Warriors
WG - David Strettle - Retired

Players In
LP - Rhys Carre - Cardiff Blues
HK - Jack Singleton - Worcester
TP - Josh Ibuanokpe - Harlequins
TP - Sam Wainwright - RGC 1404
SH - Alex Day - Cornish Pirates
FB - Elliot Daly - Wasps

Academy Inclusions and Promotions
LP - Sam Crean - New Senior Academy Contract
HK - Theodore Dan - U18 to Senior Academy
TP - Harvey Beaton - U18 to Senior Academy
TP - Mink Scharink - U18 to Senior Academy
FL - Ethan Benson - U18 to Senior Academy
FL - Tobias Munday - New Senior Academy Contract
N8 - Ollie Stonham - U18 to Senior Academy
C - Josh Hallett - U18 to Senior Academy
C - Charlie Watson - New Senior Academy Contract

2019-20 Squad
Loosehead Prop
Mako Vunipola (3 Yr)
Richard Barrington (Contract Expired?)
Rhys Carre (Contract Unknown)
Ralph Adams-Hale (2 Yr)
Sam Crean (1 Yr)

Hooker
Jamie George (2 Yr)
Jack Singleton (3 Yr)
Tom Woolstencroft (Contract Unknown)
Joe Gray (1 Yr)
Scott Spurling (Contract Expired?)
Theodore Dan (Contract Unknown)

Tighthead Prop
Juan Figallo (2 Yr)
Vincent Koch (3 Yr)
Titi Lamositele (Contract Expired?)
Josh Ibuanokpe (Contract Unknown)
Sam Wainwright (Contract Unknown)
Harvey Beaton (Contract Unknown)
Mink Scharink (Contract Unknown)

Lock
Maro Itoje (3 Yr)
George Kruis (2 Yr)
Will Skelton (Contract Expired?)
Nick Isiekwe (1 Yr)
Joel Kpoku (Contract Unknown)
John Kpoku (2 Yr)
Cameron Boon (Contract Unknown)

Flanker
Mike Rhodes (Contract Expired?)
Calum Clark (1 Yr)
Ben Earl (Contract Unknown - renewed 2018)
Sean Reffell (Contract Unknown)
Andy Christie (1 Yr)
Tobias Munday (1 Yr)
Ethan Benson (Contract Unknown)

Number Eight
Billy Vunipola (3 Yr)
Jackson Wray (Contract Unknown)
Ollie Stonham (Contract Unknown)

Scrum Half
Ben Spencer (1 Yr)
Richard Wigglesworth (1 Yr)
Alex Day (Contract Unknown)
Tom Whiteley (Contract Unknown - renewed 2017)

Fly Half
Owen Farrell (3 Yr)
Max Malins (1 Yr)
Manu Vunipola (Contract Unknown)

Centre
Brad Barritt (1 Yr)
Alex Lozowski (1 Yr)
Nick Tompkins (3 Yr)
Duncan Taylor (2 Yr)
Viliami Hakalo (Contract Expired?)
Dominic Morris (1 Yr)
Charlie Watson (1 Yr)
Josh Hallett (Contract Unknown)

Wing
Sean Maitland (1 Yr)
Liam Williams (1 Yr)
Alex Lewington (Contract Unknown)
Rotimi Segun (Contract Expired?)
Alastair Crossdale (Contract Unknown)
Elliot Obatoyinbo (Contract Unknown)

Full Back
Alex Goode (Contract Unknown)
Elliot Daly (3 Yr)
Matt Gallagher (1 Yr)

Edited 17 time(s). Last edit at 17/07/2019 07:45 by Barty II.

Re: Squad and Contracts 2019/20
GazzaFez 09 April, 2019 15:18
Thanks Barty. That's a really comprehensive list. Other than the big worry (IMHO) over a strong deputy for Jamie George, I sincerely hope that we can keep Dave Strettle for another season. He's been scoring tries for fun and is exactly the type of player we need to keep us in contention throughout the season. His experience and finishing prowess are exemplary and he's still got some serious gas.

On a (very slightly) pedantic note I have yet to see it in writing anywhere that Marcelo Bosch is actually retiring rather than just leaving. In fact conversely I have heard through an unverifiable source that he's seeking a contract in France.

Barty II 09 April, 2019 15:27
Quote:
GazzaFez
Thanks Barty. That's a really comprehensive list. Other than the big worry (IMHO) over a strong deputy for Jamie George, I sincerely hope that we can keep Dave Strettle for another season. He's been scoring tries for fun and is exactly the type of player we need to keep us in contention throughout the season. His experience and finishing prowess are exemplary and he's still got some serious gas.
On a (very slightly) pedantic note I have yet to see it in writing anywhere that Marcelo Bosch is actually retiring rather than just leaving. In fact conversely I have heard through an unverifiable source that he's seeking a contract in France.

Cheers boss - agree with your sentiments, and disappointed in my thinly veiled ageism thinking the 35 year old would be hanging up his boots by default. The likes of Strettle and Wigglesworth might have something to say about that!

nicsue 09 April, 2019 15:30
I thought it was a done deal for Jack Singleton, hooker from Worcester Warriors. Or maybe I have just seen the rumour so often that I have believed it.

#wolfpack 09 April, 2019 16:16
I thought Dom Day was retiring at the end of the season and Skelts had signed for two more years

SarrieSaint 09 April, 2019 20:17
Not seen it officially but Rugbypass had suggested that Skelton has signed for two more years.

Barty II 10 April, 2019 09:56
Yep, all of the above is the rumour mill but not officially confirmed (although I certainly expect Skelton/Day is wrapped up)

David@Sarries 10 April, 2019 14:30
When you look at the players that we will most likely lose to the RWC then we really will be “bare bones” in some positions.

The backs are reasonably well staffed but the forwards have challenges at Tight Head and Number 8.

We will be heavily dependent on Richard Barrington, Jackson, Brad, Wiggy and Alex*2.

The new prop is going to have to hit the ground running and we need at least 1 more tight head.

We also need the Senior Academy players to come of age, especially in the back row.

I’m sure that Mark and his coaches have the matter in hand.

Ohh, and a shout out to Nick Kennedy; if Carré is as good as the pundits are saying then that’s a great start to his recruitment career.

daz_71 10 April, 2019 15:40
Quote:
SarrieSaint
Not seen it officially but Rugbypass had suggested that Skelton has signed for two more years.

Apparently we have to check in with Gussie first to work out if we can afford to keep Skelton!!!!! (Sm100)

Barty II 23 April, 2019 20:19
Update - David Strettle's retirement confirmed. Man, myth, legend!

GazzaFez 23 April, 2019 20:23
Quote:
Barty II
Update - David Strettle's retirement confirmed. Man, myth, legend!

As mentioned above that's one update I was really hoping you wouldn't have to make.

Barty II 24 April, 2019 08:19
Agreed Gazza! Alas all good things must come to an end. Guess on a normal day it makes it easier to accommodate everyone into our salary cap busting back line, however may be even shorter during the internationals. Would hope Segun has a contract beyond this year, previously had renewed to the end of 2019 but maybe there's been an option to extend and no announcement. Not entirely sure Crossdale and the rest are ready for Premiership action so perhaps need to bring a reasonable squad player in

TonyTaff 24 April, 2019 13:39
I don't think that we need a replacement. We will still have Sanjay, Sean, Lewington (who started brightly) and Daly plus Gallagher in the, er, wings.

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication.

(*) As at October 31, 2018.

Barty II 24 April, 2019 14:23
Just have to see what happens when 3 of those are off on international duty!

TonyTaff 24 April, 2019 14:32
Quote:
Barty II
Just have to see what happens when 3 of those are off on international duty!

Daly will be back after the Group Stages of the World Cup winking smiley Sean after the quarter-finals (Sm22)

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Barty II 24 April, 2019 14:55
(Sm22) it's started already!

Barty II 25 April, 2019 13:17
Next update with the rumour confirmed that Henry Taylor is joining Reuben Bird-Tulloch n signing for Saints.

A few stories about that we're looking at Cornish Pirates' Alex Day as a potential replacement.

myleftboot 25 April, 2019 13:26
I thought Quins got first dibs on our academy boys we can't retain?

scrappydoo 25 April, 2019 15:12
Quote:
myleftboot
I thought Quins got first dibs on our academy boys we can't retain?

Apparently the rumour that Quin's have first dibs ahead of the Saints are cobblers (don't know how to do the roll on the floor laughing icon)

Barty II 25 April, 2019 17:21
Second update of the day, Billy Walker is joining Nottingham for some more game time. Not sure who the next cab off the rank is, perhaps Harvey Beaton although not sure which side of the scrum he packs down on

Sara'sman 25 April, 2019 18:33
Alex Shaw names him as a TH. here.

David@Sarries 25 April, 2019 18:33
Beaton is a tight head.

We now desperately need 2 tight heads to cover the RWC period!

ninjafez 25 April, 2019 18:35
Getting a bit worried about the exidous on the academy or non international firsts now, guess price of long term success and I know the club hasn't been proven wrong yet but still

Ninjafez - supporting Sarries and cleaning their signs since 2006!

Barty II 25 April, 2019 18:43
Cheers all. Think it's a bit early to be calling it an exodus, its a fairly "normal" amount of departures so far

The Bard 25 April, 2019 20:33
Surely another tighthead on the way? I haven’t entirely given up hope that Judge will change his mind and stay!

McSaracens 25 April, 2019 20:59
Agree that a tight head is the priority. Titi was superb last weekend that said. Possibly another signing from the Championship?

“I believe it might have been said before, but there is something special happening at Saracens, and I want to be part of it.” - Nils Mordt

CT 25 April, 2019 21:18
Josh Ibuanokpe from Quins

Dolph42 25 April, 2019 21:44
I'd also hope for at least one back row but hopefully two, I've heard nothing further but Jordy Reid from Ealing was linked in Feb. Otherwise (assuming Ibuanokpe arrives) I believe our 'ins' cover our 'outs'.

Barty II 26 April, 2019 11:12
Singleton added to the mix with a 3 year deal.

Hoping Ibuanokope signs, looks a real beast!

Sara'sman 26 April, 2019 11:54
Quote:
Barty II
Hoping Ibuanokope signs, looks a real beast!

Agreed, though my abiding memory of him is of a televised game (@ Wuss?) where he went backwards at a rate pf knots. I'm sure our coaches will have an understanding of how to fix any issues, he's a relatively recent convert from No 8. An oil tanker on the turn too!

I too think we'll need yet another TH - I'd expect Kennedy to have this covered - c'mon Mr Judge, you know you want to! There was some ott criticism of Small a month or so back for raising the issue that we may struggle numbers wise around the World Cup. I didn't see the original quote but the criticism was wrt him allegedly requesting consideration of special dispensation in certain positions where we will struggle.

Dolph42 26 April, 2019 12:41
Why would you want Judge to break his contract with Bath? Assuming Chippi is fit, he'd be our fourth choice, Ibuanokope, if confirmed, would be more than suitable for that role. I don't exactly know Bath's TH pecking order but I assume he'll be better than fourth choice and he gets to be closer to home.

Sara'sman 26 April, 2019 13:39
Quote:
Dolph42
Why would you want Judge to break his contract with Bath?

I don't. Hence the exclamation mark! Just a tongue in cheek way of paying him a compliment. And showing disappointment that he's one who I feel we've missed out on (for understandable reasons before you jump again).

As others have posted elsewhere, with 3 international THs (one of whom has been long term injured) and Walker moving to pastures new, cover at TH is a concern to some of us. This has also been the case during this season when we have brought in Judge and Sasagi, and oft quoted "you can never have too many props". Judge has had plenty of top level exposure with us and since Koch, Figallo and Lamositele can pack down either side I suspect he would have had plenty more had we been able to secure his services.

Sarriebone 29 April, 2019 11:07
Alex Day confirmed [www.saracens.com]

Barty II 29 April, 2019 11:55
Gotcha - updated. No word on the length of his contract though. Would guess at 1 or 2 years...

Barty II 30 April, 2019 11:07
Josh Ibuanokpe signs and is updated to the squad as a (possibly nominal) tighthead

ninjafez 02 May, 2019 22:00
Barty, Oli Morris gone to Worcester next season

Barty II 03 May, 2019 07:52
Aye. Seen a few comments elsewhere about there being an "exodus" from our academy. Hardly think a handful of players who need game time to move to the next level, that realistically aren't making the strides that the likes of Malins, Gallagher etc have, counts as an exodus...

Imagine there'll be a reasonable intake from the U18s this year too as last year was a quiet one really.

JO'G 03 May, 2019 11:20
I recently listened to a Podcast where Chello announced that he was retiring. I recal hearing he was released, looked at the options and decided he wanted to go out at the top

I remember whn he joined us from Biarritz his carrer was on the rocks, and he has been great servant to the club. At least they are replacing him with like for like in Daly

David@Sarries 04 May, 2019 10:48
As with any Academy some players will make the bar that Saracens set, others won’t. As Barty says, the time to be worried is when we start losing the likes of Malins.

We also have to remember that we “rescued” a few Academy players from other clubs and developed them into first team players.

Good luck to the leavers, I hope that they achieve their full potential and then “do a Singleton” and come back!

Barty II 10 May, 2019 09:55
Many may not have spotted this on social media and the like...

But Marcelo Bosch will be playing grass-roots rugby next year, at 5th tier Burton, where his good friend is the Director of Rugby. Fair play!

TonyTaff 10 May, 2019 10:02
Quote:
Barty II
Many may not have spotted this on social media and the like...
But Marcelo Bosch will be playing grass-roots rugby next year, at 5th tier Burton, where his good friend is the Director of Rugby. Fair play!

I think he said something like coaching, motivating and playing if he can manage it!

tpr's headmistress 10 May, 2019 10:17
If you're interested, here's his video on Burton's site

Marcelo interview

myleftboot 10 May, 2019 16:05
He must really like a pint of Pedigree!

Barty II 16 May, 2019 09:04
Updated with the apparent list of leavers from the Big Bash (thanks Gryff). Those not previously mentioned:

Dom Day
Tom Griffiths
Jack Nay
Tadgh McIlroy
Alex Gliksten

ninjafez 17 May, 2019 20:29
That's quite the batch, shame about Tom, been really unlucky with injury..

Dolph42 20 May, 2019 12:16
Also on the BBC, TH Sam Wainwright to sign from RGC

[www.walesonline.co.uk]

GazzaFez 20 May, 2019 13:34
Quote:
Dolph42
Also on the BBC, TH Sam Wainwright to sign from RGC
[www.walesonline.co.uk]

We're going to run out of mansions in Snorbens before long! winking smiley

I think that makes a total of about 18 out and 6 in now. Apart from Daly, all fairly junior though.

Barty II 20 May, 2019 17:06
As one of very few superstitions I have, will only add Wainwright to the list once confirmed on the Fish... because you just never know!

Barty II 20 May, 2019 19:56
....and there it is!

BramleyRoad 23 May, 2019 10:16
Quote:
Barty II
Agreed Gazza! Alas all good things must come to an end. Guess on a normal day it makes it easier to accommodate everyone into our salary cap busting back line

Eh? ‘Salary cap busting’... Surely you jest! Lol.

Supporting Saracens for 52 years

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net