Latest news:
New Page 1

Welcome to The Saracens. Our message board is primarily a place for Saracens fans to discuss our club. We welcome posters from other clubs as long as their posts are respectful and not repetitive and our guidelines are followed. To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE,
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
A PRECIOUS BONUS POINT!

Latest: MUNSTER 10:3 SARACENS
Next: SARACENS v MUNSTER
Sat 14th Dec Allianz 15.00 ECR

Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Sat 14th Dec Saracens v Munster BT Sport 14.45

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Tigers for sale
Discussion started by mrangry , 25 June, 2019 09:40
Tigers for sale
mrangry 25 June, 2019 09:40
Reports that Leicester Tigers are being put up for sale after CVC bought a slice of the club. Also statements that Tigers are the most successful side in the professional era- surely open to debate. Does this represent the start of Rugby going the way of soccer, and teams being used as business ventures/rich mens (womens) playthings? Or are the peole running Leicester fed up with not being able to achieve things?

Re: Tigers for sale
Barty II 25 June, 2019 11:07
Ten Premiership titles, two Heineken Cups and 5 (I think) Anglo-Welsh Cups.

Like it or not, "most successful side in the professional era" is a fact - as rubbish as they have been recently.

We've got a way to go yet to match their level of prolonged domination... but it does show, the bigger they are, the harder they fall

Tigersfan1 25 June, 2019 11:20
Thanks for that post Barty, nicely put. I think the 5 (in total) HC finals and the 13 consecutive top 4 finishes etc are relevant too. Nobody comes close to the consistency over the 20+ years. Obviously I'm hoping the record, plus strong financial position and supporter base, will attract positive interest and that Peter Tim can manage a disposal to a good new owner.

Naturally the current on-field plight isnít a positive (in any respect!) but the right owner will hopefully be looking at the longer term. We shouldnít be in the doldrums on field for too long if managed properly.

Banzaiwarrior 25 June, 2019 11:23
£50 take it or leave it

ďThe boys have fight in them intrinsically and that comes when you lose tight games together before.But itís also the relationships we have,itís an amazing group to be part of.Everyone on the outside hates us but we donít care,if you come in,you will get so much love you wonít want to leaveĒ B.Vunipola 2017

JO'G 25 June, 2019 11:26
lets hope the new owner sweeps out the current farce at the top/middle management level which is almost certainly the cause of Tiggers situation

not to say individually they are well meaning, intellengent people - but together they could not run Everards Brewery

bg 25 June, 2019 12:45
Quote:
mrangry
Reports that Leicester Tigers are being put up for sale after CVC bought a slice of the club. Also statements that Tigers are the most successful side in the professional era- surely open to debate. Does this represent the start of Rugby going the way of soccer, and teams being used as business ventures/rich mens (womens) playthings? Or are the peole running Leicester fed up with not being able to achieve things?

The long standing owner/investor (smaller investor), Peter Toms is now 79 and has a much younger wife (early 50's I think) and accordingly youngish children so is probably aware that he needs to concentrate on their futures.

The major shareholder, Scott, seems to have acquired a lot of shares via the construction of the one of the stands (the Cat stand). He's been recieving loan interest payments plus received shares as an option and its seems this point in time was his first opportunity to sell all those shares, and as a businessman, he's done so making a hefty profit.

What's slightly peculiar is that the notice of the sale seems to have been made public, without the process seemingly even started.. i.e. normally all this would take behind closed doors out of the public/media's gaze, with a number of suitors already lined up.

I wonder if it was a somewhat rushed decision by the 2 main shareholders

Sarriebone 25 June, 2019 13:43
Quote:
Banzaiwarrior
£50 take it or leave it

I'll go £51 and a half eaten bag of Quavers and not a penny more!

tigerburnie 25 June, 2019 14:25
An external review was ordered and apparently this is the outcome of that review, with a new car park joint venture with the local hospital opposite, funds were going to be needed, then there's the hotel and new crumbie stand to be built, so I guess we will have to see what comes of it all.

renko 25 June, 2019 14:59
there has been no sale as yet - so no share holders have sold with a any kind of profit as yet. The announcement is of the opportunity to buy the club to the right investor through due process. They have certainly received overtures over recent months and I am sure have discussed opportunities with others but as of yet no deal. Also a poster above said that CVC bought a slice of the club - no, CVC bought a slice of Premiership Rugby not a part of any club.

mrangry 25 June, 2019 15:00
Thanks for the info bg, I did wonder how they were financing their ground developments. It does make a lot of sense for a few clubs to look for "extra" financing to pay for planned (as in the case of Tigers) or necessary development. But it does pose thge question of what we would do without Nigel.
And as for the sucess, what about Toulouse ( 4 HC wins, 2 losses, 9 French championships 2 losses) etc? I do feel that there is too much looking at English clubs and forgetting there are other nations too.

Banzaiwarrior 25 June, 2019 15:02
Prepared to add a further 2 bob and a bike lamp

ďThe boys have fight in them intrinsically and that comes when you lose tight games together before.But itís also the relationships we have,itís an amazing group to be part of.Everyone on the outside hates us but we donít care,if you come in,you will get so much love you wonít want to leaveĒ B.Vunipola 2017

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/06/2019 15:02 by Banzaiwarrior.

Duncan96 25 June, 2019 16:08
I hadnít realised that 39% of the club is owned by 10,000 supporters. Obviously strong supporter representation didnít stop the club being run badly here, which appears to be the accusation behind the sale/fund raising.

Am I right in believing theyíve had few players come up through their academy in recent years? I wonder if theyíve put that right. Might take a while to turn things round if thatís the case as simply buying in isnít easy.

tigerburnie 25 June, 2019 16:25

Bracken&Macken 25 June, 2019 17:14
I imagine they've looked at the financial practices of certain clubs and decided that this isn't the game for them.

Could see this happening more and more, decent rugby men turning their backs on clubs because they want to run a rugby club rather than concentrating on ways to break the rules to win.

london pride 25 June, 2019 17:37
Quote:
Bracken&Macken
I imagine they've looked at the financial practices of certain clubs and decided that this isn't the game for them.
Could see this happening more and more, decent rugby men turning their backs on clubs because they want to run a rugby club rather than concentrating on ways to break the rules to win.

Or even more likely they have looked at their own club,and thought it's time to get out.

GazzaFez 25 June, 2019 17:55
A lot of the reasons quoted for the sale of Tigers do resonate with me. However what I can't fathom is how on earth anybody realistically thinks the club is worth £60M. That seems fanciful at best. I appreciate it's a starting figure but anyone buying in that ball park is after a plaything rather than a solid investment.

King Zak 26 June, 2019 07:04
As Premiership rugby is owned by the clubs, I suppose it makes sense that CVC would now look to invest in a club too.

Nous sommes l'armťe noir et rouge !

NewPotnoodlehorn 26 June, 2019 07:24
I think Wasps should buy the club and move it to Newcastle

(Sm159)

saracen1971 26 June, 2019 12:45
Paging Mr Ashley, Mike Ashley to reception please.

TOKS 26 June, 2019 12:50
Quote:
london pride
Quote:
Bracken&Macken

Or even more likely they have looked at their own club,and thought it's time to get out.

Don't feed the .....

JO'G 26 June, 2019 13:00
Quote:
Duncan96
Am I right in believing theyíve had few players come up through their academy in recent years? I wonder if theyíve put that right. Might take a while to turn things round if thatís the case as simply buying in isnít easy.

The Tiggers academy was once the best in the league. Having Loughborough on their doorstep also helped. I understand that a decision was taken around 10 years ago to spend less because there was a problem with too many academy players being in the side and choosing who to keep and who to let go was tricky. It also caused ill feeling with supporters

Unfortunately, the cutbacks coincided with other teams stepping up and where once Tiggers contributed 25% of the England U20s now they were lucky to get 1 or 2 per year - one or two years they had nobody at all. I understand that in the last year the investment is back to the previous level but they still only managed 1 member of the U20s RWCup squad

GazzaFez 26 June, 2019 14:06
Quote:
JO'G
They still only managed 1 member of the U20s RWCup squad

TBF we only had two in this year's U20 world championship ourselves; Joel Kpoku and Manu Vunipola as far as I'm aware anyway.

renko 26 June, 2019 17:14
Quote:
JO'G
Quote:
Duncan96

The Tiggers academy was once the best in the league. Having Loughborough on their doorstep also helped. I understand that a decision was taken around 10 years ago to spend less because there was a problem with too many academy players being in the side and choosing who to keep and who to let go was tricky. It also caused ill feeling with supporters

Unfortunately, the cutbacks coincided with other teams stepping up and where once Tiggers contributed 25% of the England U20s now they were lucky to get 1 or 2 per year - one or two years they had nobody at all. I understand that in the last year the investment is back to the previous level but they still only managed 1 member of the U20s RWCup squad

Yes, Tigers academy went off the radar but was put back on track 3/4 years ago. They have won the U18 premiership for the last 2 years with an unbeaten record. Whether any come through to England U20s (and onto their first team) is a different matter as the selection for U20 has been very odd this year with Jim Mallinder in charge and a poor WC campaign.

JO'G 27 June, 2019 08:38
Exeter 5
Sale 5
Glaws 3
Saints 3
Wasps 2
worcester 2
Sarries 2
Newcastle 2
tiggers 1
Bristol 1
Bath 1
Leeds 1

the high number of Exeter and Sale guys and then pretty well spread out - none from Quins though althuogh Smith did pull out to be in the senior squad

didn't do very well though compared to other years

SarrieSaint 27 June, 2019 16:19
Quote:
JO'G
the high number of Exeter and Sale guys and then pretty well spread out - none from Quins though althuogh Smith did pull out to be in the senior squad

didn't do very well though compared to other years

On the other hand a number of those Exeter Academy played against the Sarries Academy in the Premiership game at the end of the season and I don't recall any of the Sarries Academy being out-played.

Whether it's coaching, attitude or the raw talent this JRWC was not a great performance. The fact that both Vunipola and Kopoku can hold their heads up after it says a lot about their quality and contribution. Much of the rest of the squad won't be able to do the same.

Convex Hull 12 July, 2019 17:50
Quote:
NewPotnoodlehorn
I think Wasps should buy the club and move it to Newcastle

(Sm159)

(Sm102)smiling smiley

Regardez mon visage. Suis-je bovvered?

scrappydoo 13 July, 2019 11:11
Just been on the Tigers official forum where one fan has said what if Wray bought Tigers and merged them with us. Said only May, Ford and Manu would make a merged team.

[forum.leicestertigers.com]

The predictable Farrell v Ford discussion started. Not sure Manu would displace Brad, Alex or Nick. May I would be excited about.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/07/2019 11:14 by scrappydoo.

TonyTaff 13 July, 2019 15:51
If we did that, Manu and Ford would be playing in our 2nds and May might get a few starts but with otherwise be vying with Lewington and Daly for the 23 shirt!

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

myleftboot 15 July, 2019 18:46
May would be in, Tuilagi, maybe at 13, but not first choice every week. Ford? Struggles to make the bench, with no versatility

SarrieSaint 15 July, 2019 18:57
May cruises into our XV over anyone bar Liam Williams. The guy is genuine class and is probably one of the hardest working wingers in the League. Also ideally suited for Sarries kicking game.

At his best you'd want to find a place for Manu but it's been a while since his best and for how Sarries currently play he doesn't offer the defensive solidity of Barritt at inside centre or the pace and skills of Lozo or Tompkins at outside. Ofc he does offer a more direct threat than all three but would the compromises needed to accommodate that be worth it?

Ford is a very good flyhalf but mlb said above lacks utility. Not even sure he makes the bench tbh. Not because he's not good enough but because I'd probably prefer to see 10 covered by Goode or even Lozo and have a better utility player on the bench.

I'd happily see Genge at Sarries although with Barringtons form at the end of the season he wouldn't be guaranteed a start either.

Just goes to show what a great squad the coaches have assembled.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net