Latest news:
New Page 1

Welcome to The Saracens. Our message board is primarily a place for Saracens fans to discuss our club. We welcome posters from other clubs as long as their posts are respectful and not repetitive and our guidelines are followed. To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE,
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
A PRECIOUS BONUS POINT!

Latest: MUNSTER 10:3 SARACENS
Next: SARACENS v MUNSTER
Sat 14th Dec Allianz 15.00 ECR

Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Sat 14th Dec Saracens v Munster BT Sport 14.45

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Maro joins the racism debate
Discussion started by Rupes , 04 July, 2019 09:27
Maro joins the racism debate
Rupes 04 July, 2019 09:27
BBC article

To me, a slightly odd way of looking at it. I'm fascinated to know as someone who watches Barnet and Saracens fairly regularly, plus I'm a member at Arsenal, exactly where I'd fall into this.

Guessing this wasn't PR-approved by the club or the RFU...

Re: Maro joins the racism debate
Trev's Big Tackle 04 July, 2019 11:08
I don't agree with Maro completely about the education thing. But it plays a factor, or has historically, in how the different games are supported.

Someone once said to me that the difference between football and rugby supporters is that rugby supporters want our team to win, and football supporters want your team to lose.

That leads to the antagonistic atmosphere you see in football stadiums. Jeering opponent players. Chants and songs targeted at specific opposition players. The jeering leads to booing. The booing leads to swearing. The swearing leads to general insults (you f'ing w****r). The general insults lead to personal insults. And the personal insults leads to racist or homophobic abuse. All very sad and completely out of order.

But well educated people can be racist too (they just use different language - e.g. "piccaninnies"), especially in an atmosphere where that seems "fun" and it builds a camaraderie with your fellow racists supporters.

JO'G 04 July, 2019 11:27
speaking of which my office is being subjected to the Tommy Robinson bandwaggon show

I'm reminded of the Jam 'they smelt of pubs, and wormwood scrubs and too many right-wing meetings'

boomer! 04 July, 2019 16:40
Is, quote:

"I think rugby fans - and people in rugby - are a little bit more educated than those in football."

The same as, quote:
"....because of a lack of education"

Coughie 04 July, 2019 19:53
Sorry Rupes, Arsenal have always had middle class tosspots as supporters, particularly after the season ticket prices went up considerably and also after Nick Hornby’s book was published....

~ You never knowingly let the facts get in the way of the story. ~

Rupes 05 July, 2019 09:11
(Sm152) LOL

Never accuse Arsenal fans of being middle class - I mean, have you seen the price of those chicken balti pies?!

TonyTaff 05 July, 2019 11:54
I am glad that neither the club nor the RFU have censored the interview and article...

He'll probably be suspended for the World Cup, now (Sm22)

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

JO'G 05 July, 2019 14:07
I'm sure Arsenal and Fulham fans are comfortably middle class. however they are balance by those of West Ham, Leyton Orient and Millwall

Ricardo121 05 July, 2019 14:13
Hold on, I'm still enjoying ragging my colleagues who support another team, reminding them that we're the true 'blue collar fans' in the Prem.

(and that's a discussion on here from a looong time ago!) smiling smiley

tpr's headmistress 06 July, 2019 22:50
Maro was looking very dapper at Wimbledon today.(Sm125)

TonyTaff 07 July, 2019 15:43
Quote:
Ricardo121
Hold on, I'm still enjoying ragging my colleagues who support another team, reminding them that we're the true 'blue collar fans' in the Prem.

(and that's a discussion on here from a looong time ago!) smiling smiley

Tee Hee. I enjoyed myself in a Corporate Box at the Stoop. The executive who had invited me was delayed; I laid the blue-collar shtick on with a trowel, while my glass was being topped up by a Harlequins executive. We won that evening.

The executive was one Tony Diprose. I had never heard of him ... Not!

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net