Latest news:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
ANOTHER SEMI-FINAL

Latest: SARACENS 28:21 HARLEQUINS
Next: SARACENS v NORTHAMPTON SAINTS
Sat 19th Oct Allianz 15.00 GP

Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Sat 19th Oct Northampton Saints v Saracens GP BT Sport 2 15.00

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Question for the Refs?
Discussion started by Coughie , 21 September, 2019 10:30
Question for the Refs?
Coughie 21 September, 2019 10:30
After the final whistle went in the France v Argentina game, a punch up started up between some of the players.

What, if any, disciplinary action could be taken if the players are identified? The Process? Is it the Referee's decision or some disciplinary committee deciding to cite players? How long after the final whistle goes can players face proceedings? eg if a punch up occured in the dressing room v a punch up occurring the next day.

Sorry was too idle to do refereeing or coaching courses after I stopped playing. Regretting that now....

~ You never knowingly let the facts get in the way of the story. ~

Re: Question for the Refs?
JO'G 22 September, 2019 10:42
Pretty sure the refs authority ceases with the final whistle

nedrichards 22 September, 2019 15:32
My knowledge on this is certainly out of date, but I believe that if it's within the playing enclosure (as that punch up was) then the referee absolutely has 'red card' jurisdiction before and after the game. For most other times (e.g. punchup in a changing room or at a bar) it'd be covered under 'misconduct' regs or 'abusing a match official' as a separate disciplinary matter. However I know that some countries have different playing conditions on this, and at a lower level it can be a toss up which route you go down to report something.

maynas 22 September, 2019 16:19
More interesting would be what started the punch up after the match was over

myleftboot 22 September, 2019 16:46
Read somewhere an Argie indulged in a bit of hair pulling

SarrieSaint 22 September, 2019 17:01
I don't know what the answer is to OP but on a more general refereeing point it has been pretty abject so far.

I'm not one of those who tends to blame referees after a loss (or even worse after a win) but we've had at least a couple of really significant results impacted by bad calls. My guess is the bad temper at the close of the game was at least in part due to Pumas frustration at France killing the ball at will under endless "last chance" warnings but with no sanction.

So far the Hodge tackle is the most egregious as it's a clear red from how it is currently being refereed with the fact that Auz "took out" one of Fijis best players and that Hodge contributed 8 points to their win really rubbing salt into the wound. His ban should he get one will not help Fiji in any way.

One thing I'd really like to see changed is scrum penalties being kickable. There is so much going on in any one scrum that normally there's about four things on each side you could ping either team for so it's very much about what the referee sees (and he's only looking at one side) unless the AR pipes up about something. At least two of Irelands kickable penalties today were ones the penalty was questionable given the obvious offence on the other side to the referee.

Good on the referee in the England game though with a well-explained decison on the Watson tackle. On which note, much as I rate Farrell he could really do with a more sympathetic short passing game.

Squawker2 22 September, 2019 18:48
I did feel that our ref today (1st world cup - 9th international) did very well. Good calls, good explanations and confident enough to rule against it being a high tackle.

Normally I'd say too much use of the video ref...but every time he did I had absolutely no idea, so I think all were reasonable.

-----------------------------------------------------

Stuart Barnes is a Cock Womble

AP 22 September, 2019 21:08
Interesting that the half backs make good refs - I suppose they are mobile and tuned into the game! They may even know the laws.

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

JO'G 25 September, 2019 13:02
Quote:
Squawker2
I did feel that our ref today (1st world cup - 9th international) did very well. Good calls, good explanations and confident enough to rule against it being a high tackle.
Normally I'd say too much use of the video ref...but every time he did I had absolutely no idea, so I think all were reasonable.

He would have to have been - after all he kept Glen Jackson out of the WRCup

Just wondered if Jackson had gone, would he have been allowed to ref England given he played with around 1/3 of the team

TonyTaff 26 September, 2019 18:44
Quote:
Squawker2

I felt that he was too often in the wrong position. I found it surprising when he was selected - I watch Mitre 10 and Super Rugby. It seemed too early, though the decline of Glenda has led to Williams getting higher profile gigs.

Unfortunately, I have not identified a better candidate, despite trying incessantly to identify who might serve the game well in future!

721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net