Latest news:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
ANOTHER SEMI-FINAL

Latest: SARACENS 28:21 HARLEQUINS
Next: SARACENS v NORTHAMPTON SAINTS
Sat 19th Oct Allianz 15.00 GP

Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Sat 19th Oct Northampton Saints v Saracens GP BT Sport 2 15.00

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Sup for Saints
Discussion started by GazzaFez , 04 October, 2019 12:31
Sup for Saints
GazzaFez 04 October, 2019 12:31
1. Barrington
2. Wollstencroft
3. Ibuanokpe
4. Skelton
5. Hunter-Hill
6. Christie
7. Reffell
8. Wray

9. Whiteley (c)
10. Vunipola
11. Lewington
12. Tompkins
13. Lozowski
14. Segun
15. Gallagher

Bench:-

Pifeleti
Crean
Wainwright
Kpoku
Isiekwe
Spencer
Watson
Obatoyinbo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2019 12:33 by GazzaFez.

Re: Sup for Saints
GazzaFez 04 October, 2019 12:39
Saints .......

15 Rory Hutchinson
14 Ryan Olowofela
13 Fraser Dingwall
12 Andrew Symons
11 Tom Collins
10 James Grayson
9* Henry Taylor*
1 Francois Van Wyk
2 Michael Van Vuuren
3 Ehren Painter
4 David Ribbans
5 Alex Moon
6 JJ Tonks
7 Teimana Harrison (c)
8 Mitch Eadie
Replacements:
16 Samson Ma'asi
17 Alex Waller
18 Karl Garside
19 Lewis Bean
20 Heinrich Brüssow
21 Connor Tupai
22 Tommy Mathews
23* Reuben Bird-Tulloch*

shendy 04 October, 2019 13:25
In which case

1. Barrington
2. Wollstencroft
3. Ibuanokpe
4. Skelton
5. Hunter-Hill
6. Christie
7. Reffell
8. Wray

9. Whiteley (c)
10. Vunipola
11. Lewington
12. Tompkins
13. Lozowski
14. * Segun *
15. Gallagher

Bench:-

Pifeleti
Crean
Wainwright
Kpoku
Isiekwe
Spencer
Watson
Obatoyinbo

mfc 04 October, 2019 18:56
All very petty, let’s view this as development opportunity. I for one am pleased Taylor has a chance to play rugby at the elite level

GazzaFez 05 October, 2019 08:54
Quote:
mfc
All very petty, let’s view this as development opportunity. I for one am pleased Taylor has a chance to play rugby at the elite level

Not aware of anyone suggesting otherwise. Same goes for Reuben.

Sarriebone 05 October, 2019 11:53
Anyone know when our first televised match is? Week 3 and we haven't had any coverage yet Exeter get their third(?) in a row

GazzaFez 05 October, 2019 12:27
Quote:
Sarriebone
Anyone know when our first televised match is? Week 3 and we haven't had any coverage yet Exeter get their third(?) in a row

Tomorrow! Saints v Saracens live on BT Sport 1

I didn't realise myself - just checked when I saw your post!

Sarriebone 05 October, 2019 12:35
Quote:
GazzaFez
Quote:
Sarriebone

Tomorrow! Saints v Saracens live on BT Sport 1

I didn't realise myself - just checked when I saw your post!

Doh, that would explain why I couldn't find it on the tv guide, I thought we were playing today (Sm164)

AnneGran 05 October, 2019 12:53
Pleased that at last a televised game. I had contacted BT and Premier Cup asking why the "boycott". I am a bit paranoid in my country retreat in Ireland.
AnneGran.

Sarriebone 06 October, 2019 16:00
21-23 to us at HT good game but far too many mistakes/penalties from us

derbyshire fan 06 October, 2019 16:41
Second half going much better

derbyshire fan 06 October, 2019 16:46
Harsh decision against Watson, I think

shendy 06 October, 2019 16:59
Not sure the ref could give anything but a red for that. Provocation was punished by the yellow, but boot to face can't be overlooked.
The ban will be interesting to see - can't imagine the entry point for a kick to the head is very low. Usual reductions for being young and polite I'd expect - ao never understand why good conduct in the hearing gets a reduction, it should be expected! Increase the ban for poor conduct instead (coughventercough)

Sarriebone 06 October, 2019 17:11
Agree, harsh red. I would have gone two yellows, one for holding on, one for not being now careful.
Good win in the end

PhillFez 06 October, 2019 17:35
Agree it seemed harsh at the time but Healy was corrected by Craig Doyle. Contact with the head gives no option. The Saints 12 has all the grace and slime of Waller, what is it about that side?

Sara'sman 06 October, 2019 17:57
Not sure CM-K had any option other than a red card, though there were plenty of mitigating circumstances. I expect shendy is upset that the Saints medical team didn't give their cheat an HIA, though for me it was little more than a daft glancing blow as Watson tried to shake his foot free. I do wish Healy would listen to referees (and learn the laws) - he wouldn't be so critical of individual decisions if he understood more; as a friend once said - God gave us two ears but only one mouth for a good reason. I thought CM-K largely had a good game, ignoring the baying hordes, other than the rucks being a mess with players lying over a lost ball.

A game littered with errors (especially Saints in the second half) and a nasty injury to Reffell but an enjoyable spectacle nonetheless. Loz started poorly but played well, Tompkins continues to prove me wrong, Barrington enjoyed himself, Ibuanokpe scrummaged far better than he did for Quins but still turns like a tanker, Wray became more and more influential, Saints couldn't cope with nor rival Skelton (though as always Harrison tried, Segun has great feet, Vunipola pleasing but needs to vary (kick) his game. Forwards won the game collectively by getting so much front foot ball, though our lineout defence and lack of a 7 (post Reffell - Christie not quick enough) concerns me.

Was I imagining things or did Taylor kick better than Whitely and than he ever did for us? If he can add this to his game and stay injury free his future is bright.

BT yet to announce their 8th game - I think ours v Quins is the one with most resting on the result.

myleftboot 06 October, 2019 19:09
Quote:
shendy
Increase the ban for poor conduct instead (coughventercough)
slang at my work being called in for a bollocking is tea with no biscuits, should have earned the good doctor...

The Bard 06 October, 2019 19:31
Some pretty poor defence from both teams at times, we just had that bit more continuity in attack. Taylor did indeed outplay Whiteley, he certainly played a better allround game that I remember him doing for us. It was a bit ironic that another former Sarrie came on and kneed him in the head as soon as he got on the field.
Hunter-Hill had an excellent match, we see to have the Midas touch with second rows at the moment. Gallagher solid at 15, I've no idea why he didn't play there last week.
We saw a bit more from Ibuanokpe this week, he could be a handful.
Any news on Sean Reffell? The fact he needed oxygen implies he must have been seriously hurt.

Sarriebone 06 October, 2019 19:37
Sean Reffell watched the end of the match with the team and travelled home on the team coach, so I assume it's not too bad

maynas 06 October, 2019 19:59
I thought we had a much better performance than last week, albeit a stronger team, but a shame we keep the 50 pointers for the away games.

myleftboot 06 October, 2019 20:09
Quote:
PhillFez
Agree it seemed harsh at the time but Healy was corrected by Craig Doyle. Contact with the head gives no option. The Saints 12 has all the grace and slime of Waller, what is it about that side?
It's front page on BT now, and yeah, in the current climate, it's a red, all the old school idiots like that tool in the times Saturday will be up in arms! But my problem is, the stain would have completely escaped punishment if he hadn't lashed out like that. It was probably the latest in the series of annoying cheats, and the lad had enough, lost his head: Red card!

nicsue 06 October, 2019 21:03
Quote:
Sarriebone
Sean Reffell watched the end of the match with the team and travelled home on the team coach, so I assume it's not too bad

Thank goodness for that.

SarrieSaint 06 October, 2019 21:23
@ Sarriebone, thanks for the update that's good to know.

I thought that was generally a good watch. The players will be disappointed with some poor handling in the first ten or so when they left two tries out there but I thought they played with decent cohesion.

I was impressed by Ibuanokpe who looks a huge unit but showed great workrate whilst he was on. Skelton was immense and looks in great shape (congrats to him and S&C) Tompkins class as always. Overall a good result in that there is definitely stuff to work on and yet it was a good win.

The card is a red card all day long, you simply can't make contact with the head like that anymore. I was actually quite impressed that the referee carded the "instigator" of that silly situation. Far to frequent to see that person get away without sanction when they draw a reaction. Obviously good that the Saints player was ok.

Thought Taylor played really well and whilst I said last season that I backed him over Whiteley, the reality is that Whiteley had a good end to last season and a cracking start to this including Captaining the 7s to success. His ability to cover 9 and 10 in the French manner is also a huge asset so I personnaly wouldn't be getting to hung up on his "rival" having a better game than him today. I feel both will do well and serve as a further endorsement of the Sarries Academy and coaching set up.

Saint Stokey 07 October, 2019 09:03
Absolutely the right call for me. Symons shouldn't have antagonize the situation and rightly yellow carded but you can't make contact with the face and as such CMK had no option but to issue a red.

What annoyed me was how close the Assistant Ref was to the action but failed to see anything. The ENTIRE ground saw it, including the Saracens fans near me. It seemed to take an age before the TMO mentioned something to CMK. What if it had been something more serious and Symons hadn't been ok? There needs to be more some accountability on referees and their performances.

Generally, you guys were significantly better. Your handling was consistently better than ours, ours seemed to be much more stop-start so we couldn't get any momentum. Hopefully our coaches are still rotating, trying combinations and moves in readiness for Tigs and the League.

Hopefully we can give you a full 80 minute game on the 19th!

Sara'sman 07 October, 2019 10:43
Quote:
BT yet to announce their 8th game - I think ours v Quins is the one with most resting on the result.

My prediction problems continue - they've chosen Ex v Bear Bristols.

JO'G 07 October, 2019 12:47
Quote:
Sara'sman
Quote:

My prediction problems continue - they've chosen Ex v Bear Bristols.

I just think they like going to Sandy Park

Sarriebone 09 October, 2019 11:33
Charlie Wayson has been give a 4 week ban and will be free to play again on November 8th

Barty II 09 October, 2019 12:39
Just about the right call to be fair. Mid-range offence for the careless petulance and risk to the head, maximum mitigation for the scenario he was in.

And a note by the panel for the unprofessional behaviour by Symonds that instigated it.

TonyTaff 12 October, 2019 08:08
Quote:
Barty II
Just about the right call to be fair. Mid-range offence for the careless petulance and risk to the head, maximum mitigation for the scenario he was in.
And a note by the panel for the unprofessional behaviour by Symonds that instigated it.

Do you have a link for the panel report?

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

myleftboot 12 October, 2019 13:30

TonyTaff 13 October, 2019 09:24
Quote:
myleftboot
https://www.premiershiprugby.com/2019/10/09/rfu-disciplinary-hearing-charles-watson/

Thanks. I wondered if they were to have pleaded not guilty on the grounds of no contact with the head, but they decided against, perhaps because there were more angles available than were broadcast.

We are left with a kick to the head that resulted in Symons lying prone encouraging the crowd to bay for red ... yet he was uninjured.

Seems plausible, but I am only one day old!

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net