Latest news:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
ANOTHER SEMI-FINAL

Latest: SARACENS 28:21 HARLEQUINS
Next: SARACENS v NORTHAMPTON SAINTS
Sat 19th Oct Allianz 15.00 GP

Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Sat 19th Oct Northampton Saints v Saracens GP BT Sport 2 15.00

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Seven Up, Juan too!
Discussion started by Sara'sman , 06 October, 2019 12:20
Seven Up, Juan too!
Sara'sman 06 October, 2019 12:20
Are we becoming spoilt? In one of my earliest posts on here I reflected a conversation I'd had whilst playing golf. The latest England Squad had just been announced, one club had no representatives - even Leeds were represented with Fourie. Now we've just had eight involved in a World Cup game and apart from Faz's HIA no comments on such an incredible stat. So I'll offer my thoughts on our contingent so far.

Great to see Mako back, looking lean. Too early to comment further! George is irreplaceable for both us and England (despite Cowan-Dickie's try scoring heroics). His lineout and scrummaging stats are top drawer - his "missed" throw consequently newsworthy. Terrific around the field too - he should be captain imo, he has a great relationship with refs. Itoje again very good (no penalties too!) strong with the ball, disruptive without, and covers a huge distance every game. (The Bath site is, imv, overall the most objective, informed and two-eyed on here, frequently recognising his class, occasionally debating his failings). Kruis solid again, didn't hit the heights around the park that he so often does but his lineout work is exceptional and his graft helps Itoje to shine. Billy quiet even before his injury. Ever since his first serious setback I feel he has tried to be more varied, used as a decoy or offloading and stepping rather than taking contact every time. Not at his best, hopefully pacing himself for the bigger games. I didn't watch it again, but thought that he took a Sinkleresque no arms tackle - they need to be more heavily punished.

Farrel's kicking for goal was clearly poor, but 4/8 after being 0/4, to me shows his exceptional mindset - I can recall Charlie when at Sale (and Ford) going to pieces after a couple of poor early kicks. I still think he's a better 10 than 12, leader not captain, but he's England's best inside centre and Ford is consistently excellent. Well done Jones through gritted teeth for giving England different options. Daly was excellent though I remain in the he's not a 15 camp. I think this game showed why he will fit so well into our footballing game (at 11 or 13!).

Figallo scrummaged well, won a good (dodgy legality) turnover and seems to have grown as the World Cup progressed. I worry about his fitness - knee and neck, though we'll be welcoming Juan and Titi (Taylor and Maitland too?) with open arms for the start of the Premiership.

England are in a good place, maximum points, few injuries, no suspensions, building nicely, with strength in depth. I'd rest as many as possible v France (don't think Jones will) as we're in the far harder half of the draw. NZ first, SA in the final please!

Re: Seven Up, Juan too!
SarrieSaint 06 October, 2019 13:02
Interesting post as always Sara'sman.

Agree with pretty much all of that. I do wonder if both Billy and George couldn't have done with a bit less game time to date but the England lead narrative (and injuries to Wilson) is that Billy HAS to play to be fit and presumably George does so that we have a reliable lineout? Thought Maro was excellent and like you that whilst Kruis wasn't as exceptional as last week (MOTM for me) was still very good.

Tough day at the office for Farrell but he gets stick beyond what's warranted IMO. Interesting that the four he missed he nailed from almost identical positions in the second half. Also heard quite a few commentators mention rightly how composed he was despite being targeted and it's worth noting that after the game went very flat in the second half we scored a try almost as soon as Slade came on and Farrell went to 10 with a lovely wrap around and miss pass from him and ofc the exceptional pinball finish from Nowell.

Missed Chippy but if selected Maitland and Superdunc will need huge performances for Scotland and I am sure Williams will be helping Wales avoid the Fijian banana-skin.

Just a couple of hours till we can enjoy the non-International crop!

myleftboot 06 October, 2019 13:34
Can't go that far, Saint! I'll go as far as hoping Sanjay scores all 3 Wales' consolation tries!!

SarrieSaint 07 October, 2019 17:21
Quote:
myleftboot
Can't go that far, Saint! I'll go as far as hoping Sanjay scores all 3 Wales' consolation tries!!

mlb I want England to win but if they don't how great would it be for Wales to and Williams have; a Premiership title, European Cup title, Grand Slam and RWC all in one (-ish) season (Sm128)

beshocked 07 October, 2019 17:34
Itoje really impressed me by giving away no penalties. He showed more control than normal. I know it is high octane style to play on the edge but in this game he showed his athleticism without getting pinged. He helped out George a bit, particularly with one throw where Itoje really had to stretch.

Itoje’s ability has never been a problem, it has been his discipline that has occasionally been a bit suspect.

Kruis was a bit subdued as you say but a controlled performance was okay in the circumstances.

BACK TO BLACK 07 October, 2019 19:55
Great observations Sara'sman.
My fear is that England have not yet had an opponent who asks the really searching rugby questions. Argentina down to 14 so early neutered their ability. Will France turn up or will it be 2 second 15s on Saturday resting key players. Doubt we'll see Faz, Billy, Maro, Jamie. Mako needs the game time for sure.
We could arrive in the QFs facing Wales or my preference Australia despite that probably meaning ABs and SA in the final if we go the distance.
I just hope we do ourselves justice in the QFs and don't fail at the first stern test.
Pity Ireland who might end up with a washout and 0 - 0 result if they don't/can't move the game. This assuming that the big nasty tornado doesn't go away!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net