Latest news:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
SAINTS REVENGE

Latest: SARACENS 25:27 NORTHAMPTON SAINTS
Next: LEICESTER TIGERS v SARACENS
Sun 27th Oct Walford Rd 15.00 GP

Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Sun 27th Oct Leicester Tigers v Saracens GP BT Sport 1 14.30

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Le Crunch cancelled
Discussion started by lechef , 10 October, 2019 14:37
Le Crunch cancelled
lechef 10 October, 2019 14:37
I see that England v France and New Zealand v Italy have been cancelled due to super Typhoon Hagibis. Can't blame the organisers for this. But why couldn't they have moved the games to a different venue. The good news for England is at least they can make sure Billy is fit for the knockout stages.

Re: Le Crunch cancelled
To Mega Therion 10 October, 2019 15:35
Quote:
lechef
Can't blame the organisers for this. But why couldn't they have moved the games to a different venue.

Too many logistical problems e.g. to get out of the way of the typhoon the distance would be a big one. Imagine moving a match in London to, say, Toulouse. That is the approximate distance to where the typhoon would not be a factor. The stadium at the alternative venue might not be as big as the original one if everyone with a ticket could travel. There may not be enough hotel rooms or train seats for those wishing to travel. If there were no rugby fans in town World Rugby would be loath to play a match in a barely-full stadium.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMpKHV_mtVeNi9mSYLq3K1i9NvBslw7N8R4UvEbLchopTFrP2k
Who removed my H.R. Giger picture?

myleftboot 10 October, 2019 19:26
All this is missing the bigger point, what utter masturbator scheduled the Rugby World Cup in 'Typhoon Season'? Not A Bit Windy Season, not Ooh It's Raining Season, not Its A Bit Cold I'll Stay In The Bar Second Half Season. TYPHOON SEASON? Absolute farce.

AP 10 October, 2019 22:17
Quote:
myleftboot
All this is missing the bigger point, what utter masturbator scheduled the Rugby World Cup in 'Typhoon Season'? Not A Bit Windy Season, not Ooh It's Raining Season, not Its A Bit Cold I'll Stay In The Bar Second Half Season. TYPHOON SEASON? Absolute farce.

Allegedly it doesn't usually cause this much chaos. But I have sympathy with what you are saying.

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

Barty II 11 October, 2019 07:49
Quote:
myleftboot

Typhoon season in the pacific is generally May to October, with most storms early in the season. One of this magnitude this late in the season is pretty much unprecedented. When Japan were awarded the world cup, everyone was categorically against a 'winter' tournament so a balance needed to be found between that and the potential for typhoons. Therefore October. Fail to see what else they could have done given the restrictions. May as well throw your toys out the pram about the Superbowl being held at the start of tornado season too.

myleftboot 11 October, 2019 08:45
Er, so don't hold the World Cup in Japan, Barty.... I dont see Antarctica on the list. And why would I get 'get my knickers in a twist' over the American version of the grand Eton wall game finals?

Chops3 11 October, 2019 08:52
You hold the World Cup in Japan to spread the growth of this great game. Why shouldn't Japan hold the World Cup? It's part of breaking the stranglehold of the Tier 1 nations. Japan are currently hosting a fabulous tournament and they have been extremely unlucky with the scale and track of this typhoon so late in the season. I want to see an Argentina / Uruguay hosted tournament next and a North American hosted tournament in time as well.
Chops

myleftboot 11 October, 2019 09:11
Quote:
Chops3
You hold the World Cup in Japan to spread the growth of this great game. Why shouldn't Japan hold the World Cup?
Chops
Because they failed to have a decent back up plan to a not unpredictable event occurring. Cancelling crucial games, directly affecting the outcome of the group stages, is utterly unacceptable. If the nation did not have the resources to not only host the games, but reschedule them if and when necessary, makes it a pathetic, not fabulous, World Cup, and probably has done the opposite of 'spreading the growth of the great game' Whomever wins this World Cup will always have the trolls favourite on here, an asterisk, as we can't say what might have happened if the cancelled games were played.

Barty II 11 October, 2019 09:12
Quote:
myleftboot
Er, so don't hold the World Cup in Japan, Barty.... I dont see Antarctica on the list. And why would I get 'get my knickers in a twist' over the American version of the grand Eton wall game finals?

Don't be daft. Take it you're not bothered about encouraging growth in the Tier 2 nations in that case? Look at what its meant for Japan and engagement around the world.

When penguins learn to scrum we'll consider a bid to host from Antarctica I'm sure

Barty II 11 October, 2019 09:16
Before the world cup, someone on behalf of each nation signs a Participation Agreement. Within that agreement it states the procedure in the event of a game not being played. No one kicked up a fuss about it then, surely they have no right to now its actually happened?

Chops3 11 October, 2019 09:19
[quote myleftboot][quote Chops3]You hold the World Cup in Japan to spread the growth of this great game. Why shouldn't Japan hold the World Cup?
Chops[/quote]Because they failed to have a decent back up plan to a not unpredictable event occurring.

But we need to be very careful that the blame (for those that feel the need to play the blame game) is not dumped on Japan rugby. It is World Rugby that make the tournament rules.

World Rugby rules state that "where a pool match cannot be commenced on the day in which it is scheduled, it shall not be postponed to the following day and shall be considered as cancelled. In such situations, the result shall be allocated two points each and no score registered".

Japan is hosting a great World Cup. They did not write the World Rugby rules.

AP 11 October, 2019 09:30
I seem to remember that we couldn't cope with a little bit of snow for a European tie a few years ago, so perhaps we should be less dismissive of this.

myleftboot 11 October, 2019 10:06
Chops, absolutely World Rugby is responsible. And AP, was that game declared a draw, with two points for each? Or did all parties get together and find a sporting arrangement to allow the game to be played, whatever the cost?

Roger G 11 October, 2019 10:13
The problem isn't holding the WC in Japan per se, IMHO it's not having a contingency plan for the worst scenarios. To be fair to them, this is an unusually violent typhoon, and therefore not "predictable" as one poster has put it.

I was in Yokohama on business during a typhoon once, which was due to hit mid-morning. I was in a meeting room deep inside a large building complex and didn't even notice it, except the ground was a bit damp by the time I'd finished late in the afternoon. That was a "typical" Japanes typhoon - this one is a completely different proposition.

AP 11 October, 2019 10:57
Quote:
myleftboot
Chops, absolutely World Rugby is responsible. And AP, was that game declared a draw, with two points for each? Or did all parties get together and find a sporting arrangement to allow the game to be played, whatever the cost?

If I remember correctly, there were (and are) a lot of people who think we should have forfeited it 4 - 0.

Brighty_Fez 11 October, 2019 11:44
Quote:
AP
Quote:
myleftboot

If I remember correctly, there were (and are) a lot of people who think we should have forfeited it 4 - 0.

again different competition with different rules.

AB 12 October, 2019 09:35
I agree with lots of the points raised but letís remember Japan beat Ireland and Ireland beat Scotland.
Itís a bit rich for Townsend et al to complain about the situation when Scotland were abysmal against Ireland.
I personally donít think Scotland have a chance of taking 5 points from the Japan game and preventing Japan getting a solitary point!
The logistics of getting the game rearranged are very complicated.

It would be a travesty imho if Japan would end up like 4 years ago winning 3 games and not going through.

Anyway to more important issues like us smashing Quins.

TonyTaff 12 October, 2019 10:15
Quote:
AB
I agree with lots of the points raised but letís remember Japan beat Ireland and Ireland beat Scotland.
Itís a bit rich for Townsend et al to complain about the situation when Scotland were abysmal against Ireland.
I personally donít think Scotland have a chance of taking 5 points from the Japan game and preventing Japan getting a solitary point!

It would be a travesty imho if Japan would end up like 4 years ago winning 3 games and not going through.

It's hardly a travesty if three teams end up on 3 wins and one loss and only two can go through. It will be a travesty if Scotland aren't given the chance to get the result they need - far more satisfactory for them to try and fail.

World Rugby keep banging on about being fair to all other countries - an impossible goal - the only completely fair outcome is to cancel the competition (Sm20)

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

AB 12 October, 2019 12:23
Quote:
TonyTaff
Quote:
AB

It's hardly a travesty if three teams end up on 3 wins and one loss and only two can go through. It will be a travesty if Scotland aren't given the chance to get the result they need - far more satisfactory for them to try and fail.

World Rugby keep banging on about being fair to all other countries - an impossible goal - the only completely fair outcome is to cancel the competition (Sm20)

Is this meant to be facetious or what?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2019 12:25 by AB.

Roger G 12 October, 2019 18:55
Apparently Gregor Townsend insisted Ireland's game shouldn't be postponed when that was the game under threat.

TonyTaff 13 October, 2019 09:16
Quote:
AB
Quote:
TonyTaff
Quote:
AB

Is this meant to be facetious or what?

Yes

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

maynas 13 October, 2019 20:42
The 2 games cancelled didnít change qualification one iota, so stop bleating. People died in this typhoon. Have some respect. Moving games a thousand miles is extremely difficult, playing behind closed doors stupid.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net