Latest news:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
SARACENS TOGETHER!

Latest: GLOUCESTER RUGBY 12:21 SARACENS
Next: RACING 92 v SARACENS
Sun 17th Nov La Defense Arena 16.15 (GMT) HC

Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Sun 17th Nov Racing 92 v Saracens HC BT Sport 16.00 GMT

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Apprehensive about Saturday
Discussion started by McSaracens , 07 November, 2019 09:24
Apprehensive about Saturday
McSaracens 07 November, 2019 09:24
How do fellow Sarries fans feel about Saturday afternoon? I bought my tickets for the game at Gloucester a month or so ago, looking forward to what should theoretically be a good game. Now off the back of this weeks news & what I have read here, on Twitter and Shedweb Iím considering whether attending on Saturday will be more trouble than itís worth?

Interested to know if any other fans are feeling the same way. I suspect I will make the decision Friday night about whether to go.

ďI believe it might have been said before, but there is something special happening at Saracens, and I want to be part of it.Ē - Nils Mordt

Re: Apprehensive about Saturday
Ken I L Worth 07 November, 2019 11:55
That'd be a shame if you don't come along.

If you have read Shedweb you'll see there's no ill feeling to the fans and the hand they've been dealt. We have a few thoughts about those in denial, but please don't stay away it will be even worse for the game. You'll get respect and hospitality at Kingsholm, I think Mr Wray and the team will get a bit of a frosty welcome (more so than usual) but I've a feeling it will be a one of those 'I was there' moments not to be missed.

Come and enjoy the day.

AlexInSouthville 07 November, 2019 12:17
Depending how you define 'trouble', i wouldn't expect there to be anything worse, from Sarries fans perspective, from hearing the disdain and mockery of your club.

I would be really saddened if it went any further than that.

warwick5763 07 November, 2019 14:50
Hi Macsaracens, same as you we bought tickets a few months ago in the main stand. I am expecting some banter but nothing that unsavoury. Never ever had a problem at Kingsholm and have always looked forward to going, its my favourite ground.. See you there supporting the boys .

warwick5763 07 November, 2019 15:03
as a follow on, just looked at shedweb. . Wont it be funny if we win. You can say you were there !!

smitferbrainz 07 November, 2019 15:25
I only fear for you ďreputationally speakingĒ if you win. I dread to think of the reception Sarries will get if you win, supporters and team alike. If Wray had any honour heíd say to the management and team ďI know itís going to hurt but today, of all days, make sure we lose bigĒ.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2019 15:26 by smitferbrainz.

Quin Kong 07 November, 2019 15:33
Iím sure the referees will be aware that they have also been taken for fools.

QUIN KONG

NorthernTiger 07 November, 2019 15:38
Tigers fan here, just thought I'd pop in to try and reassure anybody who's worried about attending games. Harassing other fans isn't what we do in rugby and if anybody gets nasty at any stadium in the country they'll be shut down by their own fans quicker than you can say 'dodgy accountancy'.

smitferbrainz 07 November, 2019 15:39
Quote:
Quin Kong
Iím sure the referees will be aware that they have also been taken for fools.

I canít see referees ďsidingĒ against Sarries it would be way to obvious. This is happening because they have ďtoo many better playersĒ effectively. Better players will generally force more decisions in their favour because.......well.........theyíre better!

raedarius 07 November, 2019 15:47
Quote:
NorthernTiger
Tigers fan here, just thought I'd pop in to try and reassure anybody who's worried about attending games. Harassing other fans isn't what we do in rugby and if anybody gets nasty at any stadium in the country they'll be shut down by their own fans quicker than you can say 'dodgy accountancy'.

One of the better post Bloodgate moments was Tigers fans at The Stoop breaking into a chorus of 'You're not cheating, you're not cheating, you're not cheating any more'. A proper rugby moment.

Rupes 07 November, 2019 15:56
Two things re Saturday.

Firstly, what will BT Sport do? For example, will they lower the hand-held mics / effect mics when Saracens run out to reduce the noise of the (not unreasonable and totally understandable) vitriol which will come down from the stands? They cannot ignore the issue, but will be interesting to see how far they go in condemning the club and then reflecting the noise from the fans at Kingsholm.

Secondly, will Nigel and the other directors go to the game? Valid reasons to attend, valid reasons to stay away in my view.

Cereal Killer 07 November, 2019 16:03
I have had tickets for a while and to be honest I don't want to go. Not just because I'm worried about jokes and banter going to far but at the moment I don't really have much enthusiasm for supporting Sarries.

Quinten Poulsen 07 November, 2019 16:05
Just force yourself to go and see how it pans out. You may enjoy it more than you think once the team takes the pitch.

Aberavon Wizard 07 November, 2019 16:30
BT will no doubt be talking up The Shed as usual when we all know that they are mostly middle aged @#$%& cats. That being said I have no doubt that Glaws fans will make any Saracens welcome as usual.......not so sure about the team and their management !

warwick5763 07 November, 2019 16:36
Bless, and with a tag of Cereal Killer.

Cereal Killer 07 November, 2019 16:47
Thanks Warwick.

TOKS 07 November, 2019 17:20
Looking at the players who are injured or rested, the value of those we actually manage to put on the pitch on Saturday will be worth about one-tenth of the salary cap.

MarchingIn 07 November, 2019 17:35
Quote:
smitferbrainz
I only fear for you ďreputationally speakingĒ if you win. I dread to think of the reception Sarries will get if you win, supporters and team alike. If Wray had any honour heíd say to the management and team ďI know itís going to hurt but today, of all days, make sure we lose bigĒ.

He's never going to do that.

If Saracens wanted to make a subtle statement about themselves this weekend, they would definitely leave out every player with a "co-investment" with Wray, and field a starting 15 who are all Saracens academy products.

I'm 99% sure they'll just field the best team they can put out and try to win though.

TonyTaff 07 November, 2019 17:35
I am going. The only doubt I had was about my wife coming along, but she's up for it as well. Ooh er!

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

Primavesi2 07 November, 2019 18:27
The players put their bodies on the line for the club every week. Best case scenario they get smashed for 80 minutes and are hurting for days. Worst case they get a serious injury. The least we as fans can do is brush off a few sarky comments from drunk oppositions fans to support them, so if you are still going to support sarries after whatís happened, go to the game, enjoy it and make sure the players know you are there.

BlackheathSaracen 07 November, 2019 18:38
I expect it to be a reasonably hostile environment. Unfortunately, I think we'll just have to get used to it for the foreseeable future and the Shed is probably something of a baptism of fire.

What I would say is in these modern times when you can't simply deck someone who steps over the line if you feel that you are being abused rather than having to take some, maybe robust, heckling then report the people who do it.
If you don't think you can cope with hearing "cheating Saracens" shouted a lot it's probably going to be a season to miss for you but don't accept any personal abuse or keep silent and go home feeling you were intimidated or threatened. No matter what has or hasn't happened we should never allow that behaviour to be acceptable in the rugby environment.

BACK TO BLACK 07 November, 2019 20:31
Quote:
Cereal Killer
I have had tickets for a while and to be honest I don't want to go. Not just because I'm worried about jokes and banter going to far but at the moment I don't really have much enthusiasm for supporting Sarries.

Please go CK. Attendance does not mean you are aligned with anything that has happened at our club but it does mean you have solidarity with the fans and players who have to carry on.

I'm hoping the next home game will be a communal event where we might express our feelings.

Whatever you do go well.

ricohchezwasp 07 November, 2019 20:49
I think Nigel Wray should get a ticket for the shed, itís a great experience

Not a Doctor and not a troll!!

Florida 07 November, 2019 22:51
Quote:
BlackheathSaracen
I expect it to be a reasonably hostile environment. Unfortunately, I think we'll just have to get used to it for the foreseeable future and the Shed is probably something of a baptism of fire.
What I would say is in these modern times when you can't simply deck someone who steps over the line if you feel that you are being abused rather than having to take some, maybe robust, heckling then report the people who do it.
If you don't think you can cope with hearing "cheating Saracens" shouted a lot it's probably going to be a season to miss for you but don't accept any personal abuse or keep silent and go home feeling you were intimidated or threatened. No matter what has or hasn't happened we should never allow that behaviour to be acceptable in the rugby environment.

As a London Irish fan living near blackheath I'll gladly go watch blackheath with you, give you a ribbing over your team's current affairs (and accept nothing less over my team's fortunes) and have a couple of jars.

I would be stunned if the majority of teams supporters weren't of the same mindset

Just 08 November, 2019 09:56
I've been a Wasps supporter since the days when a trip to Enfield (and later Watford) usually meant a pasting for Sarries, regularly, it must have been hard being a Fez Head back, but there are still faces in the crowd at Allianz from back then, stick with it, the worst you'll get is banter (I would hope).

In my opinion, the board thought they had found a loophole, they are definitely not the first nor will be the last club to think they have a way of stretching the cap within the rules, I think the appeal will most likely see a reduction in the fine or the points deduction but a warning shot has been fired across the bows of all of the Premiership clubs.

trummy200 08 November, 2019 10:43
One of the nice things about being a rugby spectator is you can just park yourself anywhere, usually strike up a conversation with whoever is next to you and basically relax and enjoy the game. However with the recent rulings I am not sure I would want to bother.
Hope all is resolved soon and the game can move on.

Adey 08 November, 2019 10:59
Iím not in the slightest bit bothered about going to other grounds or chatting to other fans about it. You can only agree with the underlying sentiments from that we cheated and the trophies over those 3 years are tainted.

Itís our own militant flock of Nigelís sheep at Allianz who I think will cause bother if there is any.

DoubleChampions 08 November, 2019 11:26
Quote:
Adey
Iím not in the slightest bit bothered about going to other grounds or chatting to other fans about it. You can only agree with the underlying sentiments from that we cheated and the trophies over those 3 years are tainted.
Itís our own militant flock of Nigelís sheep at Allianz who I think will cause bother if there is any.

Why bother going Adey? If all is as you say - are you believing that Mark McCall and the players were not complicit? That they believed the club had managed to amass several internationals more than any other team within legal terms whilst signing up for the co-investments? They never thought how come we can have a squad like this but no-one else?

If you think the players believed it to be OK then why not the management? Or do you think the players and the coaches are just Nigelís sheep too?

If there was cheating to the degree we have been found guilty of at this stage and you are so deeply upset by it - then in all honestly the whole club is in on it.

Until the all the information is made available I will continue to support NW, Saracens and Rugby.

However, if the worst is confirmed and we are deemed to have cheated after all the evidence is laid out - then I will never visit Allianz Park again as in my opinion - the players are not sheep and were happy to go along for the ride.

Quinten Poulsen 08 November, 2019 11:31
You are deemed to have cheated. And you're likely deluding yourself if you think all the information will be made available.

DoubleChampions 08 November, 2019 11:42
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen
You are deemed to have cheated. And you're likely deluding yourself if you think all the information will be made available.

I can see the difference between Investment and Salary - however, until we know the full extent of the details of how the investments worked etc I will reserve judgement.

Everyone on here should be able to decipher the difference in all honesty.

Were they done to get an edge? Yes - that is professional sport and I have no issue with that provided they did not break the rules.

All fans posting on here are deluded if they think professionalism would ever not come with teams looking for that advantage - the amateur days were rife with it so why would it stop now?

The problem here is one team is excelling at it because the chairman is prepared to throw his money at it and the others are not - do not think for one minute those chairman are not looking for results or an edge - it is just they are not going to fork out fortunes to do so.

To think anything else is deluded.

Quinten Poulsen 08 November, 2019 11:48
So you think all the clubs would love to cheat the cap but they're either too broke to be able to, too dumb to figure out how, or too naive to pay someone else to figure it out. So let's all commend Wray and Sarries for their excellence in cheating their fellow clubs and fans everywhere. What an inspiration.

DoubleChampions 08 November, 2019 11:54
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen
So you think all the clubs would love to cheat the cap but they're either too broke to be able to, too dumb to figure out how, or too naive to pay someone else to figure it out. So let's all commend Wray and Sarries for their excellence in cheating their fellow clubs and fans everywhere. What an inspiration.

Not an inspiration - just the reality.

Why did the clubs in the amateur days break all the rules to achieve when it wasnít anywhere near the level it is now for money or crowds or tv coverage?

That is sport.

Shouting Prarie Dog 08 November, 2019 11:58
Apparently Hasbro 's sales of "Monopoly" money have gone though the roof. The cleaners at Gloucester are going to be on overtime.

Just a farm team from Devon.
We know who we be!

The lowest depth to which people can sink before Truth is defined by the word 'God'.

Pawel Vygot. 2018

cwrich 08 November, 2019 12:02
Quote:
DoubleChampions

Why did the clubs in the amateur days break all the rules to achieve when it wasnít anywhere near the level it is now for money or crowds or tv coverage?

That is sport.

Doesnít make it right though

DoubleChampions 08 November, 2019 12:07
Quote:
cwrich
Quote:
DoubleChampions

That is sport.

Doesnít make it right though

Agreed - I have said above if the edge found is finally deemed to be cheating I will not visit Allianz Park again and will not renew my Season Ticket.

Adey 08 November, 2019 13:28
Quote:
DoubleChampions
Quote:
Adey

Why bother going Adey? If all is as you say - are you believing that Mark McCall and the players were not complicit? That they believed the club had managed to amass several internationals more than any other team within legal terms whilst signing up for the co-investments? They never thought how come we can have a squad like this but no-one else?

If you think the players believed it to be OK then why not the management? Or do you think the players and the coaches are just Nigelís sheep too?

If there was cheating to the degree we have been found guilty of at this stage and you are so deeply upset by it - then in all honestly the whole club is in on it.

Until the all the information is made available I will continue to support NW, Saracens and Rugby.

However, if the worst is confirmed and we are deemed to have cheated after all the evidence is laid out - then I will never visit Allianz Park again as in my opinion - the players are not sheep and were happy to go along for the ride.

Way back when, I started supporting Saracens because we got free tickets through our school when they first moved to Vicarage Road. Some mates and I went along to Vicarage Road and discovered theyíd sell us beer at 16/17 years old. The beer was Tetleys and side wasnít much up to much either. But it was a great day out and we enjoyed it because we loved the sport.

Weíve been going ever since. We take our own kids, although theyíre quite young, they love being there and donít really appreciate how lucky they are and that they havenít seen some of the early dross that we endured.

Then we put together a half decent side and started challenging for stuff. Which seemed like just rewards to all those years of celebrating relegation survival.

Turns out the club wasnít about the fans anymore. It was about winning at all costs and that included cheating those who pay to come and watch, not just our own fans but those of other clubs.

Itís also worth noting the Ďnew fansí we attracted with our success. Not many are real fans, theyíre like the mob who used to get the train from Surrey on a weekend to watch Man Utd when they were winning stuff. Thereís a group of fans who were there and have endured it and donít care if we go back to it. Because it means more to them than winning. Itís not about stars on a shirt, itís about the rugby.

I want to go because I love the sport. The friends I first went with 20 plus years ago are now family and Iíve made new friends along the way. I want my kids to grow up loving the sport as much as I do. I donít want them to suffer the humiliation that Nigel Wray is dragging the club, the sport and itís fans through currently.

My immediate reaction was to ask the club how to cancel my season ticket. In a hilariousMy hypocritical reply they told me I couldnít because Iíd signed up to the terms and conditions! I did say Iíd get a highly paid legal team involved to fight my case but they didnít get back to me again.

The worst has been confirmed. Thereís no Ďappealí which will overturn the verdict of guilty.

I might still go along this season. After all, why should I pay top end season ticket prices and miss out on time with family and friends. I also might support whoever the opposition are. But not Pests. Never Pests.

PhilH 08 November, 2019 13:50
Quote:
Adey
Quote:
DoubleChampions
Quote:
Adey

Way back when, I started supporting Saracens because we got free tickets through our school when they first moved to Vicarage Road. Some mates and I went along to Vicarage Road and discovered theyíd sell us beer at 16/17 years old. The beer was Tetleys and side wasnít much up to much either. But it was a great day out and we enjoyed it because we loved the sport.

Weíve been going ever since. We take our own kids, although theyíre quite young, they love being there and donít really appreciate how lucky they are and that they havenít seen some of the early dross that we endured.

Then we put together a half decent side and started challenging for stuff. Which seemed like just rewards to all those years of celebrating relegation survival.

Turns out the club wasnít about the fans anymore. It was about winning at all costs and that included cheating those who pay to come and watch, not just our own fans but those of other clubs.

Itís also worth noting the Ďnew fansí we attracted with our success. Not many are real fans, theyíre like the mob who used to get the train from Surrey on a weekend to watch Man Utd when they were winning stuff. Thereís a group of fans who were there and have endured it and donít care if we go back to it. Because it means more to them than winning. Itís not about stars on a shirt, itís about the rugby.

I want to go because I love the sport. The friends I first went with 20 plus years ago are now family and Iíve made new friends along the way. I want my kids to grow up loving the sport as much as I do. I donít want them to suffer the humiliation that Nigel Wray is dragging the club, the sport and itís fans through currently.

My immediate reaction was to ask the club how to cancel my season ticket. In a hilariousMy hypocritical reply they told me I couldnít because Iíd signed up to the terms and conditions! I did say Iíd get a highly paid legal team involved to fight my case but they didnít get back to me again.

The worst has been confirmed. Thereís no Ďappealí which will overturn the verdict of guilty.

I might still go along this season. After all, why should I pay top end season ticket prices and miss out on time with family and friends. I also might support whoever the opposition are. But not Pests. Never Pests.

You have my greatest of sympathies for having been let down by your club, I am sure I would feel the same but whatís wrong with we Waspies?

This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net