Latest news:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".


Thought for the Day:
SARACENS TOGETHER!

Latest: GLOUCESTER RUGBY 12:21 SARACENS
Next: RACING 92 v SARACENS
Sun 17th Nov La Defense Arena 16.15 (GMT) HC

Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Sun 17th Nov Racing 92 v Saracens HC BT Sport 16.00 GMT

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV


Saracens Academy
Discussion started by stevene , 07 November, 2019 13:10
Saracens Academy
stevene 07 November, 2019 13:10
Sorry for pouring salt in the wound but I have read lots about Sarries academy and how much you do for England etc on here and in the public statements by the club. Might be worthwhile pointing out that of the original 31 man England rugby squad your academy contributed 4 players, including one who doesnt represent Sarries any more. These are:

Itoje
Farrell
Kruis
Piers Francis

Spencer was then a call up making it five when he replaced Heinz.

However that four is directly comparable to Leicester (Ford, Youngs, Tuilagi Cole) with Irish and Wasps contributing 3 each.

Interesting Exeter (considering Rowe's comments) contributed none with both Nowell and Cowan Dickie originally from Plymouth.

Perhaps best to factor this in when claiming that you are suffering because of England etc. The likes of Mako and Billy were going to be successful no matter which Premiership club they landed at.

Re: Saracens Academy
AB 07 November, 2019 13:23
Your facts are wrong - Jamie George and Singleton were academy boys

Re: Saracens Academy
Poking With Sticks 07 November, 2019 13:52
Quote:
stevene
Interesting Exeter (considering Rowe's comments) contributed none with both Nowell and Cowan Dickie originally from Plymouth.

Nowell, Slade and LCD were all academy. Chiefs just had agreements with Plymouth and Pirates for dual-registration.

Re: Saracens Academy
DaveyP1982 07 November, 2019 13:55
Quote:
stevene
The likes of Mako and Billy were going to be successful no matter which Premiership club they landed at.

I very much doubt that. Billy was very much out of shape before coming to us and I'm sure he'd be the first to tell you he owes the club a great deal for making the player he is now. Equally Mako's mobility and scrummaging improved significantly from being part of a superb coaching setup.

It's extremely naive to suggest that players are somehow god given at academy level and any club would produce identical results.

I don't believe for a second that England wouldn't have the depth to be a good side without Saracens but I'm pretty confident that Eddie Jones was happy to have so many world class players who grew up together with world class facilities, a supportive environment and a world class coaching team.

Re: Saracens Academy
JamboBris 07 November, 2019 14:05
Quote:
DaveyP1982
Quote:
stevene
The likes of Mako and Billy were going to be successful no matter which Premiership club they landed at.

I very much doubt that. Billy was very much out of shape before coming to us and I'm sure he'd be the first to tell you he owes the club a great deal for making the player he is now. Equally Mako's mobility and scrummaging improved significantly from being part of a superb coaching setup.

It's extremely naive to suggest that players are somehow god given at academy level and any club would produce identical results.

I don't believe for a second that England wouldn't have the depth to be a good side without Saracens but I'm pretty confident that Eddie Jones was happy to have so many world class players who grew up together with world class facilities, a supportive environment and a world class coaching team.

Mako left us as a 20 year old in the championship. He was obviously going to improve whatever happened.

Re: Saracens Academy
Ayerzawannabe 07 November, 2019 14:25
Quote:
DaveyP1982
Quote:
stevene
The likes of Mako and Billy were going to be successful no matter which Premiership club they landed at.

I very much doubt that. Billy was very much out of shape before coming to us and I'm sure he'd be the first to tell you he owes the club a great deal for making the player he is now. Equally Mako's mobility and scrummaging improved significantly from being part of a superb coaching setup.

It's extremely naive to suggest that players are somehow god given at academy level and any club would produce identical results.

I don't believe for a second that England wouldn't have the depth to be a good side without Saracens but I'm pretty confident that Eddie Jones was happy to have so many world class players who grew up together with world class facilities, a supportive environment and a world class coaching team.

You mean Billy the England international before he even played for Saracens and was in the England training squad before signing for Saracens wouldn't have made it if he hadn't joined Saracens?

Re: Saracens Academy
Dolph42 07 November, 2019 14:34
Quote:
Ayerzawannabe
You mean Billy the England international before he even played for Saracens and was in the England training squad before signing for Saracens wouldn't have made it if he hadn't joined Saracens?

I do think youíre right, but in fairness Billy was told to join Saracens by his Mum so didnít have much choice!

Re: Saracens Academy
WONKYWASP1 07 November, 2019 14:47
I sponsored Billy when he was 18 years old, in September 2012. That Christmas he left us an answerphone message wishing me merry Christmas and 'thank you for sponsoring me.' It is still on the phone. He played many games all that season. You signed him in early January. he played his first International in May 2013, against Argentina . Billy left us in June 2013. Had he been as out of condition as you claim it is unlikely he would have been selected. I deeply resent your continual claims that he is a product of Saracens Academy which is totally untrue. This twisting of the truth is finally catching up with you, thank goodness.

Re: Saracens Academy
Garym 07 November, 2019 16:14
And where has Singleton been developed for the last 3 years?

Re: Saracens Academy
Quinten Poulsen 07 November, 2019 16:29
5 years!


This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net