Latest news:
New Page 1

Welcome to The Saracens. Our message board is primarily a place for Saracens fans to discuss our club. We welcome posters from other clubs as long as their posts are respectful and not repetitive and our guidelines are followed. To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE,
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
A PRECIOUS BONUS POINT!

Latest: MUNSTER 10:3 SARACENS
Next: SARACENS v MUNSTER
Sat 14th Dec Allianz 15.00 ECR

Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Sat 14th Dec Saracens v Munster BT Sport 14.45

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Eddie Jones
Discussion started by maynas , 17 November, 2019 11:30
Eddie Jones
maynas 17 November, 2019 11:30
Love or loath him his new book looks a must read for anyone interested in both the England team and English rugby. The parts in the Times yesterday and the Sunday Times today fascinating for his comments on the lack of leadership in English rugby and effectively society. Love him arranging early morning meetings, no coaches turning up and watching on video how the players respond. Also explains the V sign to the Hakka. He must have been very tough to play for in his early days and I notice they hadn’t got a quote from Troy Jacques but he’s absolutely what you want as a head coach if you want to achieve things. Great quote “when a group of Englishmen get together they will often behave like they’re back at school”. What a contrast from the coaches that preceded him with England, no wonder he got us to the final. I for one hope he stays the next 4 years and goes one better, as he said in the Times yesterday he’s still learning and would do the final differently now if he could. Also very interesting comments over the Cipriani affair and the SA tour and Cips scuffle in Jersey. His coaching must rub off very positively and beneficially on all our players in his squad too. It’s behind the Times paywall but try and read it if you can, top writing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 17/11/2019 11:32 by maynas.

Re: Eddie Jones
JL904 18 November, 2019 00:27
After the WC, Eddie stated words to the effect that "this team is done, and there will be some changes".

Obviously there are a few players unlikely to make the France '23 WC due to age, but with an average age of 27 - most of the squad should still be in contention to go, form and fitness permitting. However, EJ is going to need to first - bring some new faces into the squad sooner or later, and secondly - give some of the younger/current 2nd or 3rd choice players a few starts rather than bench appearances.

I wouldn't be too disappointed (from a club POV) if that process were to start in next years 6N.

As team captain, I can't see Owen not being selected, and I expect Maro to feature, and possibly George Kruise for continuity in the set piece. However, a starting front row of Genge, LCD and Sinckler with a bench of a.n.other L/H, Jack Singleton and Harry Williams would make Mako and Jamie G available for 5 more club matches.

I can see us possibly losing Ben Spencer for the campaign too, maybe Billy V - maybe not, but much as I like to see England being successful - I'd happily accept a 3rd place finish if we only provided Eddie with 3 or 4 players rather than the 6 or 7 we've known in recent times.

Ricardo121 18 November, 2019 08:57
Great interview this morning with EJ on R5L

- doesn't hold out much hope of the Lions job as people have long memories about his 'jokes'
- couldn't believe how much the English class system still pervades amongst the players
- big on diversity within the team and what each player can bring

Innings 19 November, 2019 00:10
As I noted elsewhere, IIRC, Eddie says he has become aware of an idea that the entire Sarries England group have considered retiring from England rugby for this season to focus on GP survival.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

scrappydoo 19 November, 2019 03:15
Quote:
Innings
As I noted elsewhere, IIRC, Eddie says he has become aware of an idea that the entire Sarries England group have considered retiring from England rugby for this season to focus on GP survival.

Link to BBC sport article. I suspect this will be down to the individual players and would be sure that no pressure would be placed on them by club.

Eddie Jones wary England's Saracens stars may focus on club relegation fight - [www.bbc.co.uk]

Waldo 19 November, 2019 06:44
Quote:
scrappydoo
Quote:
Innings

Link to BBC sport article. I suspect this will be down to the individual players and would be sure that no pressure would be placed on them by club.

Eddie Jones wary England's Saracens stars may focus on club relegation fight - [www.bbc.co.uk]

if that happens that will give the Finance Director a headache ! Presumably we need the England credits to bolster the Salary Cap .

Sara'sman 19 November, 2019 08:41
Quote:
Waldo
if that happens that will give the Finance Director a headache ! Presumably we need the England credits to bolster the Salary Cap

Do we not already have most credits for many players? Are the WC and the warm-ups included in tis years figures with the maximum credit reached after 8 caps?

I posted nearly a year ago my opinion that it is time for player welfare and club/country balance to be given serious priority, with a reduction in games including a cap (I suggested of 8) Internationals per year (with a mechanism to claw back any overrun such as in a world cup year). Included was a suggestion that the WC squad's main players should not be selected for the following 6Ns and summer tour. In part this would be a natural beginning of a new cycle.

Even if our stars do rest from England (far from a given) I don't feel the season will be at all easy. Many will still be mentally and physically exhausted after such an intense 5 months; the cumulative effects on their long season will take a great toll as it progresses and I'd expect most opponents to raise their game against us.

Innings 20 November, 2019 00:16
Something came to mind during a moment during the anthems line-up for the RWC final. Five Sarries players lined up side by side, and only Daly and Spencer were not with them. It seemed odd to me. Daly hadn't yet played for Sarries and Ben, naturally, lined up with the other subs, The five looked dejected and I thought their minds were elsewhere. Had they been given an idea of events about to unfold back home, or were they just exhausted? Whatever the reason, I really hope that the idea that they'd retire from England rugby will not come about; the knock-on effect on the game in this country would be awful, as the game appeared to most people to be falling apart.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

Convex Hull 20 November, 2019 06:58
The knock on effect of Saracens being relegated would be worse for Saracens and equally bad for English rugby in the medium term.

Regardez mon visage. Suis-je bovvered?

Brown Bottle 20 November, 2019 13:59
Quote:
Innings
... Had they been given an idea of events about to unfold back home, or were they just exhausted? ...

Those involved would have known anyway but I thought the rumours had been around for some time - even before the tournament started? Or does my memory fail me?

BB

tpr's headmistress 20 November, 2019 16:01
Quote:
Brown Bottle
Quote:
Innings
... Had they been given an idea of events about to unfold back home, or were they just exhausted? ...

Those involved would have known anyway but I thought the rumours had been around for some time - even before the tournament started? Or does my memory fail me?

Rumours wouldn't have necessarily affected them but if they'd been told about the outcome then that may well have done.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net