Latest news:
New Page 1

Welcome to The Saracens. Our message board is primarily a place for Saracens fans to discuss our club. We welcome posters from other clubs as long as their posts are respectful and not repetitive and our guidelines are followed. To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE,
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
WHAT THE DOCTOR ORDERED!

Latest: SARACENS 15:6 MUNSTER
Next: SARACENS v BRISTOL RUGBY
Sat 21st Dec Allianz 15.00 GP

Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Sun 29th Dec Exeter Chiefs v Saracens BT Sport 1 14.30

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Saints today
Discussion started by Innings , 30 November, 2019 18:55
Saints today
Innings 30 November, 2019 18:55
Rugby as it should be played. A top-drawer performance, fast, athletic, adventurous and skills everywhere. Admittedly, Tigers were so woeful that Saints weren't exactly pressed, but from what I've seen of them so far, that style is how Saints will go against anyone during this season. Personally, as I cannot see Sarries in the mix, I'd like to see Saints end the season top and win at Twickenham, and not only to see how Rowe would spin that as NW's fault.

But Tigers? Oh Dear. They were playing like a park side who were recruited on Thursday and met each other for the first time on the bus south this afternoon. The England contingent were strangers to each other, and equally strange to their teammates. A telling shot on the pitch after the game, Tome Youngs and Mike Ford having a post-match chat: I don't think they were inviting each other to dinner, it looked more like Youngs inviting Ford to step outside. Poor George, standing next to his father, looked deeply uncomfortable. And looking at Tigers next two GP fixtures doesn't offer much hope of a quick turnaround in their fortunes.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

Re: Saints today
mfc 30 November, 2019 20:52
So sad, I donít like seeing Leicester this low , Iíd rather not us be battling them relegation

myleftboot 30 November, 2019 20:52
A rightly cocky cockers was interviewed in the week, how a squad with that many great players is where they are... Last year, I said they were too good to go down, this one with no discernable change? We're - 22 and closing fast!

mfc 30 November, 2019 21:51
Loved watching the Saints today, both 12 and 15 looked very balanced runners

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/11/2019 22:27 by mfc.

AP 30 November, 2019 22:51
Saints have made some good signings and integrated them well. Yes, let's see then against Exeter!

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

BlackheathSaracen 01 December, 2019 19:28
Sad to say that Tigers were so woeful it was hard to judge how good Saints were but it was still a very good performance considering where they were a few short years ago. Maybe there is something in the quality of coaching being a factor in how teams do?

They also seemed to adapt incredibly well to four? players dropping out at short notice. The cynic in me wonders if Boyd was paying homage to the old Cockerill trick of naming one team with the intention of playing another but given how experienced the players were I think the players who stood in just did brilliantly.

Like AP says better teams will test them but I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be with us trying to play them without the ball for the majority of the game. Right now discipline is their big weakness. Chiefs will draw penalties, kick to the corner and maul them as we saw in their last two games of last season. Until they sort or counter that I think they will be very good but not quite contenders.

Innings 01 December, 2019 23:37
I think Boyd has the clear idea that everyone has to be able to come in and play the plan, rather as MMC has always wanted his entire squad to be ready when the First XV needs them. Also, unlike Jim Mallinder, Boyd thinks that if you never make mistakes you're never trying to improve but are only trying not to get worse. I fully expect Saints to make errrors and give up penalties. for as long as it takes the players to get comfortable with the new regime's genuine belief in fun and adventure.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

Neil-H 02 December, 2019 08:21
Thanks for nice words and observations, itís definitely a good time to be a Saints fan at the moment

And yes, not only did we lose 3 players the morning of the game, but we lost our 3 most experience players of Owen Franks, Courtney Lawes and Dan Biggar, nearly 250 international caps between them!

Our youngsters really have been given an opportunity under Body and all have grabbed their chance with both hands! Thankfully, as we also lost both Hartley and Brussow to early retirement so far this season, again a lot of experience to lose

With the guys mentioned above to come back very some along side Piers Francis, finally Harry Mallinder and the youngster I rate highest in Alex Mitchell in January (Furbank is the other), then we finally also seem to have strength in our squad ... hopefully we will be fighting it out at the end of the season

One interesting stat from the game on Saturday... Big T n Matt Proctor made more meters between them than the whole of the Tigers team!!

TOKS 02 December, 2019 11:21
One of the positives of our current travails is that we are able to be far more objective, and thus far less parochial, about our fellow combatants. Other than the Premiership Cup where we are in a semi (albeit against a team that will put out a full-strength team for that game) we are unlikely to get anywhere near any silverware this season. Thus a nice objective eye to run over the other 11 teams for a change.

Given Saints' history, pedigree and downright improvement over the past 12 months under Boyd I'd be more than happy to see them in the mix. My feelings about Exeter are mixed. The boorish Rowe and fairly one-dimensional (but slowly evolving) playing style on the one hand, welcoming and positive vibe amongst the fans on the other. I'd also be very pleased if Bristol were top 4.

Some of the teams that should be on the up given their recruitment seem to be displaying glorious inconsistency. And some should be downright worried. Personally I'd be unhappy to see Tigers or Bath suffer a sad demise but Wasps on the other hand.....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net