Latest news:
New Page 1

Welcome to The Saracens. Our message board is primarily a place for Saracens fans to discuss our club. We welcome posters from other clubs as long as their posts are respectful and not repetitive and our guidelines are followed. To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE,
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
WHAT THE DOCTOR ORDERED!

Latest: SARACENS 15:6 MUNSTER
Next: SARACENS v BRISTOL RUGBY
Sat 21st Dec Allianz 15.00 GP

Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Sun 29th Dec Exeter Chiefs v Saracens BT Sport 1 14.30

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Sarries Survival
Discussion started by MaroonTyke2 , 01 December, 2019 14:34
Sarries Survival
MaroonTyke2 01 December, 2019 14:34
The key metric in monitoring survival is how we progress against the next lowest club. Before this weekend, with 26 points difference and 18 matches to play. We needed to average 1.45 points per game more than the club above us. This is now down to 1.29.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2019 14:36 by MaroonTyke2.

Re: Sarries Survival
AB 01 December, 2019 14:42
i am sure we are going to finish mid table and would be great if we can finish in top 6 or even better top 4

Surbiton Sarries 01 December, 2019 15:49
Top 11 will do nicely

myleftboot 01 December, 2019 16:19
Realistically, happy with 11th, anything else is a bonus. It looks like top four is very unlikely in what appears to be a pretty competitive year, H Cup quali would be an achievement to rival toping the league!

Graeme D 01 December, 2019 16:19
Quote:
Surbiton Sarries
Top 11 will do nicely

Agree 100 %

BlackheathSaracen 01 December, 2019 16:26
Quote:
AB
i am sure we are going to finish mid table and would be great if we can finish in top 6 or even better top 4

I love the optimism and we have a great squad but as surbiton sarries says anything above relegation suits me.

Barty II 01 December, 2019 18:29
At the current rate teams in each position are scoring points, we'd finish 9th, 22 points clear of the drop (with Wasps and Leicester separated by 5 points in a relegation scrap!)

MaroonTyke2 01 December, 2019 19:48
To finish in the top 6 would be an incredible achievement as, at present, it would require us to average 1.76 pts more than the current 6th placed team.

Eric Browett 01 December, 2019 19:48
Early days, guys. I'd bite your hand off now for 11th.

tpr's headmistress 01 December, 2019 20:15
Me too, Eric.eye rolling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2019 20:16 by tpr's headmistress.

Rupes 01 December, 2019 22:08
"Sarries Survival" is pretty much guaranteed in my view, regardless of finishing position. I have no doubt that, if we finish 12th, ringfencing will be in before anyone can say "how much are flights to Jersey?"

But entering into the spirit of the thread, I'll go for 5th.

Sorry - edited to add, I assume "Survival" means not relegated! If it means the club surviving, then I think we need another thread...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2019 22:10 by Rupes.

Innings 01 December, 2019 23:32
MMC, many other coaches, and all the players who are ever interviewed constantly say that the game that matters is the next game. However, looking at the next three fixtures, we have to win two and must want at least an LBP from the other. Eleven points from the three wouldn't look great, but what will Leicester and Wasps get from their equally tough three fixtures over the same period?

The gap between Sarries and the next-placed side in mid-january could be anything from -37 to -7. Scarcely worth permutating the possibilities.

More interesting to me are three of the four following games, Sarries at home to Sale, Wasps at the Ricoh, at Saints and then home to Tigers. IMHO, by the end of that block we should have an idea whether the ask for the remainder of the season is looking very doubtful, or whether one or both of Wasps and Tigers will have at least one more than nervous eye on their rear-view mirrors, with a large red and black truck coming up the inside lane and looking to pass.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

1876-Fez 02 December, 2019 10:41
If we finish = 12 but ahead on points difference I'll take it...

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

Primavesi2 02 December, 2019 11:05
On the contrary, most of the chairman think we should have been relegated already. The last thing they would want if we went down is to let us off.

If we do finish 12th I would much rather we got relegated and preserve the integrity of the league than see ring fencing brought in.

boomer! 02 December, 2019 12:06
Quote:
Primavesi2
On the contrary, most of the chairman think we should have been relegated already. The last thing they would want if we went down is to let us off.
If we do finish 12th I would much rather we got relegated and preserve the integrity of the league than see ring fencing brought in.

Apart from the Exeter gobshite, which other Premiership chairmen have gone on record as wanting Saracens relegated?

JL904 02 December, 2019 15:05
Quote:
boomer!
Quote:
Primavesi2

Apart from the Exeter gobshite, which other Premiership chairmen have gone on record as wanting Saracens relegated?

I'm not sure whether he's actually called for us to be relegated - but I'm sure Ryan Walkinshaw at Glaws has had plenty to say about us cheating ...

... which is more than a little ironic, not to say hypocritical considering the antics of his father as both racing driver and head of TWR.

Convex Hull 02 December, 2019 17:37
Quote:
JL904
Quote:
boomer!
Quote:
Primavesi2

I'm not sure whether he's actually called for us to be relegated - but I'm sure Ryan Walkinshaw at Glaws has had plenty to say about us cheating ...

... which is more than a little ironic, not to say hypocritical considering the antics of his father as both racing driver and head of TWR.

I was just about to say the same! I was at Le Mans when his Jaguar XJ220s were disqualified. I thought RW had sold Glaws?

Regardez mon visage. Suis-je bovvered?

tpr's headmistress 02 December, 2019 17:45
He did - 12m.

jonnybrowne 02 December, 2019 18:10
Quote:
JL904
Quote:
boomer!
Quote:
Primavesi2

As I recall, Gloucester had plenty to say in the run-up to the semi-final last season but I haven't noticed much noise from them in the press since the verdict was announced.

BlackheathSaracen 02 December, 2019 18:36
Interesting points innings. Also worth noting that giving nothing to the teams likely to be around us in terms of BPs, assuming we can win, is almost as important.

Quote:
tpr's headmistress
He did - 12m.

Wow. Not quite the businessman his Father was. What's that, about 1/3 or a 1/4 of its current value? no wonder he's so salty.

scrappydoo 02 December, 2019 18:59
Quote:
BlackheathSaracen
Interesting points innings. Also worth noting that giving nothing to the teams likely to be around us in terms of BPs, assuming we can win, is almost as important.
Quote:
tpr's headmistress
He did - 12m.

Wow. Not quite the businessman his Father was. What's that, about 1/3 or a 1/4 of its current value? no wonder he's so salty.

And the owners of Leicester want offers over 60M plus the cost of building the new hotel on the car park next to the ground that they have committed to build.

AP 02 December, 2019 21:27
Quote:
1876-Fez
If we finish = 12 but ahead on points difference I'll take it...

Wins are the first decider which we will inevitably be ahead on.

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

Brighty_Fez 05 December, 2019 13:36
looking at the fixtures and being realistic i think we could get to 39 points which would have been 8 points above newcastle last season but still behind the total leicester got in 11th. Those thinking of a midtable finish or better are being a little deluded imo. The key results will be against those in the bottom half and making sure they get nothing out of us so we can stay in touch

TOKS 05 December, 2019 13:50
Yes there may well be a case later in the season for rotating players against teams we cannot catch so that they are rested when we play the teams "around" us.

A season in the secondary European competition would be interesting and would mean we wouldn't have to play the full-on first team for those fixtures. This would give the younger players coming through lots of game time and keep the top players fresh and available for the Premiership games. Both of those factors would arguably make us stronger.

Possibly not the outcome the instigators of the (possibly unproven, certainly unpublished) witch-hunt had in mind! I do hope Tony Rowe's masterplan comes off and he wins it this year!

JO'G 05 December, 2019 14:29
I'd be amused if the lads at Northampton beat him

TonyTaff 05 December, 2019 14:58
Quote:
TOKS
Yes there may well be a case later in the season for rotating players against teams we cannot catch so that they are rested when we play the teams "around" us.
A season in the secondary European competition would be interesting and would mean we wouldn't have to play the full-on first team for those fixtures. This would give the younger players coming through lots of game time and keep the top players fresh and available for the Premiership games. Both of those factors would arguably make us stronger.

Possibly not the outcome the instigators of the (possibly unproven, certainly unpublished) witch-hunt had in mind! I do hope Tony Rowe's masterplan comes off and he wins it this year!

I agree. The player welfare inspired limits on appearances are going to hurt us in the New Year. So tactical rotation is called for - send the kids to Sandy Park and give our internationals the Christmas off!

A season in the Challenge Cup could be a hoot. The fans could enjoy fantastic locations such as French Provincial towns, Northern Italy and, er, West Wales!

721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

nedrichards 05 December, 2019 15:51
We might even be able to get the Saracens on Saracens dream matchups we've been waiting for!

JO'G 05 December, 2019 15:56
From the ERC site:

Nineteen clubs will qualify automatically for the 2020/21 Heineken Champions Cup in the following ways :.

Guinness PRO14 (7): The three highest ranked clubs from each conference. The fourth-ranked clubs from each conference will play off for the seventh place. (NB South African clubs are not eligible.)
TOP 14 (6): The six highest-ranked clubs based on their final finishing positions.
Gallagher Premiership Rugby (6): The six highest-ranked clubs based on their final finishing positions.
In accordance with a decision of the EPCR Board comprising the nine unions, federations and league bodies, the 20th place in the Heineken Champions Cup will be determined as follows:

i) Heineken Champions Cup winner, if not already qualified

doesn't even say anything about relegation - so the answer would be to make sure we won it

TOKS 05 December, 2019 16:00
Quote:
TonyTaff
Quote:
TOKS

I agree. The player welfare inspired limits on appearances are going to hurt us in the New Year. So tactical rotation is called for - send the kids to Sandy Park and give our internationals the Christmas off!

A season in the Challenge Cup could be a hoot. The fans could enjoy fantastic locations such as French Provincial towns, Northern Italy and, er, West Wales!

Or Siberia!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net