Latest news:
New Page 1

Welcome to The Saracens. Our message board is primarily a place for Saracens fans to discuss our club. We welcome posters from other clubs as long as their posts are respectful and not repetitive and our guidelines are followed. To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE,
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
NOT OUT OF EUROPE JUST YET

Latest: SARACENS 27:24 RACING 92
Next: HARLEQUINS v SARACENS
Sun 26th Jan GP 15.00 The Stoop

Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Sun 26th Jan Harlequins v Saracens BT Sport 2.30

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Team for Ospreys
Discussion started by sodslaw , 10 January, 2020 12:10
Team for Ospreys
sodslaw 10 January, 2020 12:10
ELLIOTT OBATOYINBO WILL MAKE HIS HEINEKEN CHAMPIONS CUP DEBUT WHEN SARACENS TAKE ON OSPREYS AT THE LIBERTY STADIUM ON SATURDAY.
The Senior Academy speedster has featured six times for the Men in Blackís first team, scoring against Wasps in the Premiership Rugby Cup this term, and will add to that number from full-back.

Scotland international Sean Maitland joins Obatoyinbo in the back three after missing Sarriesí 62-5 victory over Worcester Warriors last time out and Nick Tompkins returns to partner Alex Lozowski in the centre.

Named in England Under-20sí 2020 squad, Manu Vunipola slots back in at fly-half to complete the backline changes.

Prop Rhys Carre has been named at loosehead for his first club outing back on home soil following his switch Saracens and another summer recruit in Jack Singleton takes his place at hooker.

In the boiler room, George Kruis links up with Will Skelton while the back row has two fresh faces in Calum Clark and Jackson Wray. The latter will captain the side in Wales.

The bench is made up of five Academy products. Rotimi Segun scored twice last time out against Ospreys and Ali Crossdale could make his European bow.

Saracens team to face Ospreys in the Heineken Champions Cup at the Liberty Stadium (KO 13H00):

15 Elliott Obatoyinbo
14 Sean Maitland
13 Alex Lozowski
12 Nick Tompkins
11 Alex Lewington
10 Manu Vunipola
9 Richard Wigglesworth
1 Rhys Carre
2 Jack Singleton
3 Titi Lamositele
4 Will Skelton
5 George Kruis
6 Nick Isiekwe
7 Calum Clark
8 Jackson Wray ©

Replacements

16 Tom Woolstencroft
17 Richard Barrington
18 Vincent Koch
19 Joel Kpoku
20 Sean Reffell
21 Tom Whiteley
22 Rotimi Segun
23 Ali Crossdale

Re: Team for Ospreys
AP 10 January, 2020 12:15
Interesting mix of young and old, plenty of them have chances to take in this match. But we do need a good win to stay in contention.

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

Sarriebone 10 January, 2020 12:16
Ospreys Starting XV
15. Dan Evans
14. Hanno Dirksen
13. George North
12. Tiaan Thomas-Wheeler
11. Luke Morgan
10. Luke Price
9. Shaun Venter
1.Darryl Marfo
2. Scott Otten
3. Ma'afu Fia
4. Adam Beard
5. Alun Wyn Jones
6. Dan Lydiate ©
7. Sam Cross
8. Morgan Morris

Replacements
16. Sam Parry
17. Rhys Fawcett
18. Simon Gardiner
19. Lloyd Ashley
20. Dan Baker
21. Aled Davies
22. Cai Evans
23. Lesley Klim

Sorry Sarrie 10 January, 2020 12:19
Interesting selection. A BP win with Munster taking nothing in Paris would set up Racing at home nicely. But it never works out how you want!

My wife and I are on the verge of splitting up because of my obsession with rugby.
I've decided to give it one last try......

The Bard 10 January, 2020 12:38
This looks like being a very tough match. Whatís happened to Matt Gallagher? If heís injured too then we are missing our top 5 full backs...

Primavesi2 10 January, 2020 13:04
Decent looking team. We were always going to make a lot of changes for Ospreys but plenty of experience still in there and more than enough to get the job done imo. I guess we will bring some of the big guns back in for Racing.

Primavesi2 10 January, 2020 13:07
Quote:
The Bard
This looks like being a very tough match.

Really? Ospreys have won 1 match all season and have been the worst team in both europe and the pro 14. If this is a very tough match then I donīt know what an easy one is.

The Bard 10 January, 2020 13:16
Alun Wynn Jones, George North and Lydiate now back so Iíll be delighted with any win,

MaroonTyke2 10 January, 2020 14:10
Quote:
The Bard
Alun Wynn Jones, George North and Lydiate now back so Iíll be delighted with any win,
+1

TOKS 10 January, 2020 14:20
Yes, returning players make a lot of difference when they are of the calibre of those three.

GazzaFez 10 January, 2020 14:45
For those who do not have BT Sports - good news. The match is also being shown live on Channel 4 tomorrow 1pm kick-off.

DublinSarrie 10 January, 2020 16:53
Even for those with BT Sport this is good news!

Ch4 coverage is a breath of fresh air compared to current viewing options...

TonyTaff 10 January, 2020 18:03
Strewth, that selection is 'innovative'!

We rest our stars as they bring theirs back.

I shall have a copious supply of ale to hand when watching this one!

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

flavman 35 11 January, 2020 06:43
I am liking this line up. I think this team could come away with the win

Sarriebone 11 January, 2020 11:06
Today's result will determine whether we go full noise next week or not I reckon

beshocked 11 January, 2020 13:13
I think that has to be the softest ever red card Iíve ever seen. If you can give a red for that literally any borderline challenge should be red from this ref.

Primavesi2 11 January, 2020 13:14
Not an ideal start. Down to 14 after 4 mins. Still back us to win but making life hard for ourselves

beshocked 11 January, 2020 13:42
It was only a matter of time before the ref was going to send off another Saracens player. Was itching to.

Stumpy7780 11 January, 2020 13:48
I pretty sure all our players took stupid pill before the match. Playing like headless chickens

Sarriebone 11 January, 2020 13:50
Jeez this ain't pretty. Ospreys milking everything though

beshocked 11 January, 2020 13:51
Quote:
Stumpy7780
I pretty sure all our players took stupid pill before the match. Playing like headless chickens

They were looking good before the red.

Actually still better than Ospreys even with 13 men.

Static 11 January, 2020 14:03
By the law it was a red, no intent in it, but hit his neck with the shoulder without an arm wrapping. Certainly wasn't a vicious hit with excessive force.

Still at the end of the first half they look the better team, imo. Just need to make sure we don't suffer further cards or we'll tire towards the end and may be lose this.

Sarriebone 11 January, 2020 14:28
We're getting nothing from the ref, repeated playing the man in the air... nothing

Sorry Sarrie 11 January, 2020 14:46
Wiggy has had an epic game

My wife and I are on the verge of splitting up because of my obsession with rugby.

Primavesi2 11 January, 2020 14:54
Disappointing not to get a bonus point but win the most important thing. They only scored 3 points against our 14 men for 66 minutes. All the rest came when we were down to 13.

Special mention for Baz for going 76 minutes. Wiggle and Manu managed the game really well overall.

Will need a big step up next week.

Squawker2 11 January, 2020 15:04
"Will need a big step up next week."

Step 1 - avoid being red carded! We were playing great till then

-----------------------------------------------------

Stuart Barnes is a Cock Womble

RiponFalcon 11 January, 2020 15:28
Well done. Great result under the circumstances and keeps things alive for next week

Sorry Sarrie 11 January, 2020 16:45
Expecting a slightly different line up next week!! Can't wait.

Static 11 January, 2020 16:51
Great win today. Thought everyone put in a huge shift. All across the back row were immense, and Wiggy and Manu managed the game brilliantly.

The Bard 11 January, 2020 17:20
Superb effort. Personally thought the red harsh and Callumís yellow completely out of context to what had gone on before.
Wiggy at his very best, Manu very composed. Isiekwe outstanding yet again!

CambridgeSarrie. 11 January, 2020 18:08
Isiekwe is bloody fast for a big lad. Him Brad and Ben are my early favourites for player of the year.Kpoku looking very very good in recent games too.

Here we go! Dah. Dah-dah-dee-dah....

Mac L 11 January, 2020 20:08
Great result given they played with 14 for 75 minutes,

PhillFez 11 January, 2020 22:11
Quote:
The Bard
Superb effort. Personally thought the red harsh and Callumís yellow completely out of context to what had gone on before.
Wiggy at his very best, Manu very composed. Isiekwe outstanding yet again!

+1
I loved Wiggyís grin after blocking the wing by simply not moving. Plenty of experience as it was perfectly legal.

Eric Browett 12 January, 2020 08:09
I think he was actually grinning because the ball went between his legs as he had a hack at it. Whatever, he was outstanding today, and a word for Jackson Wray who captained and played superbly. After Brad, he is our best captain.

AP 12 January, 2020 09:49
Jackson was my MoM, though Wiggy and Manu were outstanding (as had to be everyone!).

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

BlackheathSarrie 12 January, 2020 13:00
A team performance to be incredibly proud of. Credit to the coaches and the players both the older heads who showed their experience and composure and the youngsters who backed the plan and stayed focused.

In a performance littered with possible MotM contenders a special mention for George Kruis. You can lead in a number of different ways, Wiggle did by remaining calm and directing play, Wray did through good communication with the referee but it was Kruis time and time again who could be seen rallying the troops both individually and when they huddled up. I'm treating rumours about his future as just that but he is for me one of the most important Saracen players and to lose him would be little short of a calamity. Not just because of the quality of his play and how under-rated he is as a player but also because he's a player who could/should be stepping up into a coaching role at Saracens in the future if that appeals to him. I'd suggest he's probably the pre-eminent lineout lock in World rugby right now and his value to the club is immeasurable. I look forward to seeing him play for the club for many seasons to come.

nicsue 12 January, 2020 15:00
Quote:
TonyTaff
Strewth, that selection is 'innovative'!
We rest our stars as they bring theirs back.

I shall have a copious supply of ale to hand when watching this one!

In Mark McCall we trust.
By the by - did anyone else hear his pre-match interview - the man is a genius at giving the answer he has planned regardless of the question!

tpr's headmistress 12 January, 2020 15:08
Poor devil has had to become a politician when he'd really like to quietly get on with what he's good at - coaching!

Dave Berko 12 January, 2020 16:04
I really feel that we saw the ultimate statement from the team yesterday.
'Whatever else is happening, we are UNITED for this club'.
Totally deserved plaudits for ALL the players but we MUST not forget the BEST coaching set up in the country. They are superb.

MGB 12 January, 2020 16:06
A special mention for Alex Lewington who has improved enormously under the high ball, perhaps through the influence of Liam Williams. I remember last season when he was bombarded by Exeter at Sandy Park and seemed to be completely lacking in confidence. Last week and yesterday he was supremely confident in dealing with high balls, leading to a MOM award last week and try against Ospreys.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net