Latest news:
New Page 1

Welcome to The Saracens. Our message board is primarily a place for Saracens fans to discuss our club. We welcome posters from other clubs as long as their posts are respectful and not repetitive and our guidelines are followed. To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE,
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
LOCKDOWN!

Latest: SARACENS 23:14 LEICESTER TIGERS
Next: God only knows!

Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: tbc

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Big Will Skelton
Discussion started by Sarriebone , 21 January, 2020 15:19
Big Will Skelton
Sarriebone 21 January, 2020 15:19
4 week ban for his red card offence on Sunday

Re: Big Will Skelton
dixipus 21 January, 2020 19:02
i watched this carefully on replay several times. Will was practically stationary, caught flat footed as oppo passed. Oppo then fastened his eye on Will and ran four or five strides straight at him. More a case of ref deceived in my view. Surprised at 4 weeks. Who argued the defence?

DoubleChampions 21 January, 2020 19:16
The game is changing fast and in our current predicament I would not object if Will moved on.

+1

Gray_Lensman 21 January, 2020 19:46
Quote:
dixipus
i watched this carefully on replay several times. Will was practically stationary, caught flat footed as oppo passed. Oppo then fastened his eye on Will and ran four or five strides straight at him. More a case of ref deceived in my view. Surprised at 4 weeks. Who argued the defence?

You watched a completely different incident from me then. I saw late, no arms and shoulder to the chin. Under current guidelines that's a red every time. Don't argue that its difficult for a big man to get out of the way in these types of challenges but for Skelton to get shoulder to chin it had to be him dipping not the other player.

Adey 21 January, 2020 19:51
He was always fixed on the player he hit even when the ball went. Would have been red, before the law changes this season.

BlackheathSarrie 21 January, 2020 20:14
Can have no complaints about that nor the card during the game.
I have actually been really impressed with his tackling recently as he was a bit loose when he first came. I appreciate he is a big guy and it can be difficult to hit and the right height but the one on the weekend was just dumb.

Sorry Sarrie 21 January, 2020 22:14
He could be useful in Dublin. As would Billy even more so. Hope he's not feeling too down with all the nonsense going on in addition to his arm break

hertsman 22 January, 2020 11:02
Wonder if he will go back to Oz and try and reclaim his gold shirt.

MaroonTyke2 22 January, 2020 11:27
Quote:
hertsman

RugbyPass say that Rugby Australia are keen on his return.

Sarriebone 22 January, 2020 12:03
Quote:
hertsman
Certainly a possibility and I wouldn't blame him if he wanted to go. Turning down an international chance when you're winning premiership/european trophies is one thing, but turning it down to play at Ampthill and Bedford is another.

Sorry Sarrie 22 January, 2020 12:55
Quote:
Sarriebone
Quote:
hertsman
Certainly a possibility and I wouldn't blame him if he wanted to go. Turning down an international chance when you're winning premiership/european trophies is one thing, but turning it down to play at Ampthill and Bedford is another.

Certifiable insanity I'd suggest. Do Ampthill have a 4G surface? (Sm22)

The Substandard Biscuit 22 January, 2020 15:58
Big Willie may disappear to Australia, particularly now Cheika has gone, but I also think he wasn't treated that well by some of the clubs over there.

However, his wife is embedded in the Sarries club, she's something to do with the women's team, and apparently they both gets the whole Saracens family thing completely and love it.

I hope he stays. He's great.

AlanE 22 January, 2020 16:19
Who will look forward to it least - Big Will facing Ampthill, or Ampthill facing Big Will?

I was 17 miles from Graybridge before I was caught by the school leopard

derbyshire fan 22 January, 2020 19:42
Kate Skelton has captained the women’s development side the last two outings

Adey 22 January, 2020 20:26
It would show a complete lack of ambition if he wanted to stick around just because his missus plays women’s rugby.

derbyshire fan 22 January, 2020 21:01
Adey - will you say that to Kate? Most couples take joint decisions on big choices like this - which weigh up the interests, cash flow AND long term plans of each partner.

ScrummageMachine 23 January, 2020 07:32
For me big Will really needs the Saracens family to put his arm around him.
He gave up the world cup to be us, with the investigation hanging over us.
He is not subject to the international appearances, buys into the culture and is a top level player.
Maybe he had a bad day, his frustration came out, but this is one player I feel for, gave up the world cup and his country to support us.

Adey 23 January, 2020 07:52
Yep. There’s a reason that women’s rugby is a second rate sport with no money in it. We keep getting told playing careers are short and you need to make the most of it while you can. She certainly won’t have earning power of her husband.

Banzaiwarrior 23 January, 2020 10:13
Adey ,I sponsored Will last year and met him and his wife many times. I have to say he is a family man through out and at the end of every game his first reaction would be to look into the crowd to find Kate.

Women's Rugby is a second rate sport ? Try telling that to the Cleall sisters. Maybe you should pop down and introduce yourself to the Saracens ladies team and tell them your thoughts !

“The boys have fight in them intrinsically and that comes when you lose tight games together before.But it’s also the relationships we have,it’s an amazing group to be part of.Everyone on the outside hates us but we don’t care,if you come in,you will get so much love you won’t want to leave” B.Vunipola 2017

Adey 23 January, 2020 10:31
Women’s rugby is a box ticking exercise for the politically correct. Just because sport should be all inclusive doesn’t make it any good. It’s completely inferior to the men’s game. The skill levels really aren’t there, which is why you get more people watching a local Saturday team than a women’s premiership match, and why there’s no money in it.

daz_71 23 January, 2020 10:41
Quote:
Adey
Women’s rugby is a box ticking exercise for the politically correct. Just because sport should be all inclusive doesn’t make it any good. It’s completely inferior to the men’s game. The skill levels really aren’t there, which is why you get more people watching a local Saturday team than a women’s premiership match, and why there’s no money in it.

Adey is fully buying in to the #metoo campaign!

All women's sport is looked at as being inferior as it's always being directly compared to the mens versions of those sports. It shouldn't. Some of the Saracens/Quins Womens games have been every bit as exciting as the Saracen's mens games but maybe for different reasons. That does not make it inferior!

JL904 23 January, 2020 11:03
@ Daz

It's interesting to note that womens sport - in particular team sport - is considered inferior by many when it's competing with an established mens equivalent, especially football, cricket and rugby. A notable exception is cycling ... before it was targeted by Sport UK and the Lottery for funding, the sport was fairly niche. The public funding was given to both men and women. As a result, womens cycling is regarded as on a par with the men, as they were never playing "catch-up.

Even more dramatic is the rise of the round ball game in the US. They were never a force in mens football, so the women started in an equally poor position. Whilst baseball, gridiron and hockey have attracted the best young men, football has had the pick of the girls.

Hence the US women have been finalists in all 8 Womens WCs since the first in 1991, and won four of them, the mens team is nowhere near the same standard.

GHA 23 January, 2020 11:19
Quote:
JL904
Hence the US women have been finalists in all 8 Womens WCs since the first in 1991, and won four of them, the mens team is nowhere near the same standard.

The US mens team haven't won any world cups but I'd be careful suggesting they aren't the same 'standard' as the women winking smiley

derbyshire fan 23 January, 2020 14:09
Very depressed by Adey’s attitude. I had hoped the dinosaurs were going extinct.

TonyTaff 23 January, 2020 15:50
The Saracens women's scrum-halves don't incessantly boxkick. Alternative uses of possession can be a breath of fresh air!

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication.

(*) As at October 31, 2018.

Adey 23 January, 2020 15:53
Quote:
derbyshire fan
Very depressed by Adey’s attitude. I had hoped the dinosaurs were going extinct.

Ahh Princess, did I hurt your feelings with my opinion?

JO'G 23 January, 2020 16:08
Quote:
Gray_Lensman
Quote:
dixipus

You watched a completely different incident from me then. I saw late, no arms and shoulder to the chin. Under current guidelines that's a red every time. Don't argue that its difficult for a big man to get out of the way in these types of challenges but for Skelton to get shoulder to chin it had to be him dipping not the other player.

different view from me too

all I saw was crossing; penalty to Saracens

oh and unfortunately one of those 'I'll get the bloke sent off' actions that seem to be creeping into the game

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/01/2020 16:09 by JO'G .

MGB 23 January, 2020 17:31
Quote:
derbyshire fan

+1 from another Princess apparently.

tpr's headmistress 23 January, 2020 17:36
Quote:
MGB
Quote:
derbyshire fan

+1 from another Princess apparently.

Don't kiss the frog boys - it might become an empathetic human being.

Banzai1314 23 January, 2020 19:07
Quote:
Adey
Quote:
derbyshire fan

Ahh Princess, did I hurt your feelings with my opinion?

Is this the same Rich Adey (Mindfullness Advocate )?

AP 23 January, 2020 20:20
Hi, Adey, has MBS hijacked your account?

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net