Latest news:
New Page 1

Welcome to The Saracens. Our message board is primarily a place for Saracens fans to discuss our club. We welcome posters from other clubs as long as their posts are respectful and not repetitive and our guidelines are followed. To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE,
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
LOCKDOWN!

Latest: SARACENS 23:14 LEICESTER TIGERS
Next: God only knows!

Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: tbc

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

RFU backtrack
Discussion started by Darraghgirl , 20 February, 2020 09:52
RFU backtrack
Darraghgirl 20 February, 2020 09:52
BBC reporting that the RFU are now prepared to sit down and talk to Championship clubs and to phase in the cuts over 2 years.
linky

Re: RFU backtrack
derbyshire fan 20 February, 2020 10:00
Better than nothing - but only a little bit!

TonyTaff 20 February, 2020 10:45
I don't trust Sweeney.

He says that the Championship hasn't delivered on the objectives agreed when the current deal was finalised, yet he doesn't publish those objectives. The clubs say they have never heard of them.

Whilst any lack of clarity will be the fault of his predecessors, it is mendacious of him to pretend that the Championship clubs have been failing to meet agreed objectives.

Furthermore, in his list of competing demands on the funds of the RFU, he fails to mention the grievous overruns on the East Stand project. He can claim that he didn't sign the contract, but he needs to take responsibility for the current management of the project.

The member clubs of the RFU should tell him to stop lying or do one, as they say in Kevball!

721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

nicsue 20 February, 2020 12:19
I'm so angry I gave up reading it all.
'Let's sit down and work together as a group and figure out what is the role of the Championship'. Rather basic and should have been done a long time ago.
'We haven't just cut this to save 3m. We've cut it because we are not clear of the benefit we're getting from that spending.' Well you bloody well should be clear. It's all out there, most of it is all over Twitter. You are a man obviously not doing your job properly.
I believe it says that the RFU employ 560 people - wouldn't we all love a list of their job descriptions. Starting at the top. Bet I could save them 3m by shortening that list.

boomer! 20 February, 2020 14:46
Quote:
Darraghgirl
BBC reporting that the RFU are now prepared to sit down and talk to Championship clubs and to phase in the cuts over 2 years.
linky

Resolution of a kind is not good for us.
Whilst the RFU & Premiership vs. The Championship brouhaha was going on it kept Saracens (to a degree) off the front pages. (Sm100)

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Duckonstilts 27 February, 2020 12:01
Its so frustrating. I think what they are overlooking is the benefit to Premiership clubs in having a Championship that is professional. We (The Premiership clubs) can send our young players off knowing they will still be training at a decent level and getting game time. If the Championship goes semi pro then although game time might still be an option it wont be of the same value.

I still think PRL should set their sights into the next 20 years, buy up the championship and develop a much stronger league structure

boomer! 27 February, 2020 16:36
Quote:
Duckonstilts
. (The Premiership clubs) can send our young players off knowing they will still be training at a decent level and getting game time. .
I still think PRL should set their sights into the next 20 years, buy up the championship and develop a much stronger league structure

My understanding is that Premiership Rugby Limited (aka CVC) want to develop the A league at the expense of the Championship.

If they are successful at that there will be no need to send players to the Championship as they with get their training "at a decent level" under the watchful eye of their contracted clubs.

Of course this notion ignores all the related history the clubs in the lower leagues have accumulated over the past 100 years.

Out of curiosity, what sort of attendance do we get for 'A' league games at the Saracens Copthall Stadium?

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Waldo 28 February, 2020 08:54
This may be a bit naive of me but won't the notion of developing the A league at the expense of the championship mean the salary cap needs to rise to facilitate that - which is kind of a moot point .

tpr's headmistress 28 February, 2020 09:55
Far too sensible Waldo - the A league would play for nowt!

boomer! 29 February, 2020 12:39
Quote:
Waldo
This may be a bit naive of me but won't the notion of developing the A league at the expense of the championship mean the salary cap needs to rise to facilitate that - which is kind of a moot point .

Fair point Waldo.

TonyTaff 29 February, 2020 14:46
Why has no-one required Bill Sweeney to publish minutes of the meeting at which the Championship clubs agreed with his predecessors to the linkage of the newly disclosed objectives to continued funding?

I suspect that he is lying about them ever having been agreed.

721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net