Latest news:
New Page 1

Welcome to The Saracens. Our message board is primarily a place for Saracens fans to discuss our club. We welcome posters from other clubs as long as their posts are respectful and not repetitive and our guidelines are followed. To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE,
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
"THERE HAVE BEEN MANY PLAYERS WHO HAVE BLED BLACK AND RED
OVER THE YEARS BUT NONE MORESO THAN BRAD BARRITT
THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES SKIPS"

Latest: SARACENS 17:17 BATH
Next: your guess is as good as mine

Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV:

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: 2020/21 Saracens Men's Squad
tpr's headmistress 14 May, 2020 20:29
Quote:
Sarriebone
Quote:
Dolph42
Or maybe Wiese wants to back out as his value has gone up since he signed for us, I wouldn’t have a problem with that as we should only want players who want to be here.
On the plus side looks like Hunter-Hill is all but confirmed.

[scrummagazine.com]
Looks like he's heading to Sale instead

Maybe not .... See last post from the Sale forum
Wiese

McSaracens 14 May, 2020 21:10
That makes it ten South Africans amongst Sale’s ranks. Surely more than we had at the peak?

“I believe it might have been said before, but there is something special happening at Saracens, and I want to be part of it.” - Nils Mordt

Sarriebone 15 May, 2020 18:00
Joe Gray to make Quins move permanent [www.bbc.co.uk]

myleftboot 16 May, 2020 12:34
Quote:
Sarriebone
Quote:
Dolph42
Or maybe Wiese wants to back out as his value has gone up since he signed for us, I wouldn’t have a problem with that as we should only want players who want to be here.

[scrummagazine.com]
that would make sense, Mr Potato Head doesn't believe in any contracts other than his own

tpr's headmistress 16 May, 2020 14:43
Quote:
myleftboot
Quote:
Sarriebone
Quote:
Dolph42

[scrummagazine.com]
that would make sense, Mr Potato Head doesn't believe in any contracts other than his own

From the Sale forum "By FarnhamShark - Thu May 14, 2020 7:45 pm
But according to the Rugby Paper (!) we've pulled out, because he's not yet been released from the contract he signed with Sarries and we daren't put a foot wrong after RJVR's suspended 5 point deduction. Sounds believable."

tpr's headmistress 18 May, 2020 08:37
Latest on Wiese from Sale site - Saracens have released Wiese from his contract.

Don't know where the information came from as it's a screen shot.

Barty II 19 May, 2020 11:08
Updated with the latest TRP blindfolded dartboard of player rumours - Garvey and Socino (thanks McSaracens)

tpr's headmistress 22 May, 2020 13:32
Stolen from the Bristol board

Malins' interview with TRP

OldMarovian 24 May, 2020 09:54
TRP suggesting we can expect confirmation of Kruis move to Japan tomorrow. Rumoured 3 year deal!! which surprised me as that is certainly the end of his England (playing) career and also quite possibly any chance of a Lions place.

Sad as I find it and massive loss as it is for Saracens I wish him the best and I'd guess that the salary will offer him security at an increasingly uncertain time for rugby.

I still really hope to see him back at Saracens maybe in a coaching capacity as I think he's right up there with Borthers in terms of value.

myleftboot 24 May, 2020 11:34
I've often wondered why a player not considered for their national squad doesn't come into Lions reckoning. Surely there's no reason why not?

jonnybrowne 24 May, 2020 13:12
Quote:
myleftboot
I've often wondered why a player not considered for their national squad doesn't come into Lions reckoning. Surely there's no reason why not?

My understanding is that a player has to be eligible for his “home” country in order to be selected for the Lions, but that doesn’t mean he has to have been capped by said country (Didn’t Will Greenwood tour with Lions before he was capped by England?), although I would guess the Lions would understandably tend to pick players with experience at Test level.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/05/2020 13:17 by jonnybrowne.

Sarriebone 24 May, 2020 13:36
Quote:
OldMarovian
TRP suggesting we can expect confirmation of Kruis move to Japan tomorrow. Rumoured 3 year deal!! which surprised me as that is certainly the end of his England (playing) career and also quite possibly any chance of a Lions place.
Sad as I find it and massive loss as it is for Saracens I wish him the best and I'd guess that the salary will offer him security at an increasingly uncertain time for rugby.

I still really hope to see him back at Saracens maybe in a coaching capacity as I think he's right up there with Borthers in terms of value.

He'll be a huge loss to us and to England, our lineouts are on another level when he's on the field.

myleftboot 24 May, 2020 15:01
Johnny, one famous example, Fatty Armitage was eligible for England according to World Rugby rules. The fact England chose not to pick him then made ineligible for Lions?

jonnybrowne 24 May, 2020 17:22
Quote:
myleftboot
Johnny, one famous example, Fatty Armitage was eligible for England according to World Rugby rules. The fact England chose not to pick him then made ineligible for Lions?

It’s an interesting point, myleftboot - if you qualify for England under the normal criteria as set out in the international rules, are you barred from the Lions because it’s the RFU’s policy not to pick foreign-based players except under exceptional circumstances?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 24/05/2020 18:55 by jonnybrowne.

Roger G 24 May, 2020 18:11
Didn't Billy Whizz play for the Lions before he got capped for England.....or is that my imagination/memory loss.

jonnybrowne 24 May, 2020 18:31
[quote Roger G]Didn't Billy Whizz play for the Lions before he got capped for England.....or is that my imagination/memory loss.

I thought he’d played in the Six Nations before the Lions...

tpr's headmistress 25 May, 2020 07:52
Kruis appears to confirm move to Japan for 1 year contract

Kruis to Japan

Barty II 25 May, 2020 07:52
Updated with Kruiso's confirmed move to Japan

jonnybrowne 25 May, 2020 11:00
Quote:
tpr's headmistress
Kruis to Japan

Good news if it’s accurate 👍👍

TonyTaff 25 May, 2020 13:35
Quote:
jonnybrowne
Quote:
myleftboot

It’s an interesting point, myleftboot - if you qualify for England under the normal criteria as set out in the international rules, are you barred from the Lions because it’s the RFU’s policy not to pick foreign-based players except under exceptional circumstances?

No such rule applies to the Lions. As far as World Rugby is concerned, George is eligible for one of the four Home Nations, so he is eligible for the Lions. The inanities of national selection protocols are of no relevance otherwise than to the union concerned.

If George were Interested, I would offer him a role as captain of the dirt-trackers in SA.

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication.

(*) As at October 31, 2018.

OldMarovian 25 May, 2020 13:57
Quote:
tpr's headmistress
Kruis to Japan

I feel much more upbeat for the prospect of seeing him again in black and red after reading that and other reports.

The edited highlights for anyone who hasn't read it: One year contract with an additional year option. He has been in touch with both Jones and Gatland and doesn't consider his International aspirations over and he could only see himself coming back to one club if he returned to the Premiership (Sm128)

Sarriebone 25 May, 2020 13:59
Tweet from Billy V about Kruiso: What a boy! To be continued....
[twitter.com]

Sarriebone 25 May, 2020 14:01
Joel Kpoku commits to Sarries: [www.saracens.com]

OldMarovian 25 May, 2020 16:07
Quote:
Sarriebone
Tweet from Billy V about Kruiso: What a boy! To be continued....

(Sm60)

Great news about Kpoku too. Very encouraging how many of the young players are committing their futures to the club.

Re: 2020/21 Saracens Men's Squad (Full list in first post)
McSaracens 27 May, 2020 10:21
First confirmed signing. Aled Davies on a three year deal.

“I believe it might have been said before, but there is something special happening at Saracens, and I want to be part of it.” - Nils Mordt

Barty II 27 May, 2020 10:51
It begins!

Sarriebone 27 May, 2020 11:05
Quote:
McSaracens
First confirmed signing. Aled Davies on a three year deal.
An indication that we're likely to lose Wiggy or Spencer?

McSaracens 27 May, 2020 12:51
Spencer to Bath is a done deal I think.

Let’s hope we can keep Wiggy on for a couple of seasons.

OldMarovian 27 May, 2020 16:46
As others have said the 3 year length of the contract offered to Davies would suggest that Spencer to Bath is a done deal. Best of luck to him and Bath have a very good player.

I don't know enough about Davies and he doesn't have the sort of highlights reel I'd expect from someone in their later twenties but I am looking forward to seeing how he goes. No doubt that we need back up/competition to Whitely. Who is the third option? is there an Academy one?

tpr's headmistress 27 May, 2020 17:01
He's played 20 times for Wales, last time in 2019. From BBC "Davies played in four of Wales' five Six Nations games when they won the Grand Slam in 2019, starting against Italy."

Sarriebone 27 May, 2020 18:46
Quote:
OldMarovian
As others have said the 3 year length of the contract offered to Davies would suggest that Spencer to Bath is a done deal. Best of luck to him and Bath have a very good player.
I don't know enough about Davies and he doesn't have the sort of highlights reel I'd expect from someone in their later twenties but I am looking forward to seeing how he goes. No doubt that we need back up/competition to Whitely. Who is the third option? is there an Academy one?

Or (he says hopefully) Spenno off for a year, Wiggy to (semi) retire at the end of next season?

Barty II 27 May, 2020 20:07
Still got Alex Day.

Sarriebone 27 May, 2020 20:17
Quote:
Barty II
Still got Alex Day.
And Whiteley

Sarriebone 27 May, 2020 20:39
Saints forum reporting Boyd has confirmed Nick Isiekwe on loan for a year

McSaracens 27 May, 2020 21:18
You would think we need some cover behind Davies. Whiteley is a decent third choice whilst Alex Day has hardly played. A real shame that Henry Taylor left the club.

Barty II 28 May, 2020 08:29
Isiekwe News

Following it being announced in Saints season ticket holders forum last night... confirmation that Nick Isiekwe will be loaned to Saints but has also signed a 4 year deal with us.

Has made me chuckle really, the one short sentence on him joining Saints embedded quietly in the middle of the article about Nick's long term future being with us (Sm100)

Roger G 28 May, 2020 09:23
Yet the Daily Wail headlines it as "another senior Saracens player walks away". And the media wonder why the public don't trust them to present impartial news.

OldMarovian 28 May, 2020 09:35
Thanks for keeping this all updated Barty.

Right now this all feels very positive for if we come back up (no chickens counted here!)

Malins, Earl and Isiekwe committing long-term to the club is huge IMO. They will be out on loan and are going to good clubs so who knows what the future may bring but right now it feels incredibly positive. Ditto Joel Kpoku staying. With Kruis on sabbatical in Japan for a season or two and Isiekwe at Saints it will be interesting to see who calls the lineout.

It's obviously also a big positive that a number of senior players; George, Farrell, Billy, Koch, Wray have committed to the club for next season. So to to see a new signing like Daly not looking for an escape clause.

Spencer going, which despite not being announced feels like a done deal, is a huge shame IMO. I 100% wish him the best but fear that if his move is at least partially about keeping himself in consideration for England he will be disappointed. I don't get why his face doesn't fit for Jones but I don't think it does.

Wiese off to Sale is good. Seems like a talented young chap but no place for players who aren't fully behind the club.

Mako signing would be huge as for me he is vital to the club so I hope that Mother Vunipola still has some say (Sm100) Would also be brilliant if Lozo was part of the long term plan. I think a player of his utility and skill will be like gold dust in the coming seasons.

Areas of slight concern still scrum-half and hooker for me. Fairly ambivalent to Maitland re-signing too.

One thing which interests me is how ruthless the club will be. We have a few players who through injury or struggling to realise the potential the club saw in them haven't made the impact the club would have hoped. We're certainly quite a contrast to the ruthlessness of some other clubs when a cheaper option can be got from elsewhere or a player has been out injured too long. Might we have to be more realistic about the players we can keep hoping they come good?

Roger G 28 May, 2020 10:29
Quote:
OldMarovian
We're certainly quite a contrast to the ruthlessness of some other clubs when a cheaper option can be got from elsewhere or a player has been out injured too long. Might we have to be more realistic about the players we can keep hoping they come good?

Despite our misdemeanours I think our long term support of injured players, our commitment to players' post-rugby futures (I don't just mean dodgy property portfolios), and our confidence to trust the youngsters, is what sets us apart. These also may be key to the long-term loyalty being shown by many of our senior players through the current adversity.

myleftboot 29 May, 2020 20:00
OldMarovian, can see your concern around hooker, but can't help thinking it's a result of how spoilt we have been there lately. Having at least 2 world class players (accepting Jamie wasn't yet in that category when Smit was here, but....) in that position for so long was a privilege, but unsustainable. Seeing a top class operator like Tolufua fail to reach the standards necessary to wear our 2 shirt was quite the eye opener

OldMarovian 29 May, 2020 23:12
Quote:
Roger G
Despite our misdemeanours I think our long term support of injured players, our commitment to players' post-rugby futures (I don't just mean dodgy property portfolios), and our confidence to trust the youngsters, is what sets us apart. These also may be key to the long-term loyalty being shown by many of our senior players through the current adversity.

100% Roger G. As you say I think that could well be a significant part of why young players are prepared to commit. They see the club walks the walk as well as talking the talk. Lots of comments on other clubs board about our culture and if it's really that special. I genuinely think it is. It still makes for some big calls when two or three of the players you'd expect to be in your 23 are long-term injured.

Agree MLB. The level has been set very high. I haven't seen much of the Academy hooker, Pifeleti? but a friend says he's a good prospect. Woolstencroft is another very useful player but we do have an issue with the lineout if Jamie isn't throwing and this could be exacerbated when Kruis isn't calling next season. The coaches have it well in hand I'm sure but I'd happily sacrifice a bit around the field for good basics and very good arrows at hooker.

Barty II 30 May, 2020 09:02
Although he's probably a bit raw for first team matches, by all accounts our junior academy hooker is pretty highly rated by the club too. Has been in and around the England U20s setup but is a victim of being in what looks a brilliant crop of hookers, particularly Barbeary at Wasps

Barty II 05 June, 2020 09:06
Squad list in first post updated with Ben Spencer's confirmed move to Bath.
Starting to shrink the size of the rumours list at least...

Barty II 07 June, 2020 15:01
Squad list updated after Mark McCall's Times interview confirmed Skelton & Lamositele's departure. Lozowski, Goode and Barritt 'expected' to leave but not fully confirmed

Sarriebone 08 June, 2020 12:52
Loz to Montpellier on a 1yr loan deal [www.ultimaterugby.com]#

Barty II 08 June, 2020 13:42
Done!

Barty II 17 June, 2020 14:51
Callum Hunter-Hill confirmed as signing with us on a 3 year deal

OldMarovian 17 June, 2020 15:35
That feels like good news. So CH-H, the Kpokus and senior statesman (at 25) maybe Maro?! Maybe still one more signing to come at lock?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/06/2020 16:35 by OldMarovian.

Gryff 17 June, 2020 15:46
Scottish press is reporting we have signed Tim Swinson for a year persuading him out of retirement. Would be a good signing top quality old head to help Jon and Joel and Callum [www.theoffsideline.com]

Sarriebone 19 June, 2020 14:08
SKELTON TO DEPART SARACENS AFTER FOUR FANTASTIC YEARS:

[www.saracens.com]

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net