Latest news:
New Page 1

Welcome to The Saracens. Our message board is primarily a place for Saracens fans to discuss our club. We welcome posters from other clubs as long as their posts are respectful and not repetitive and our guidelines are followed. To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE,
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
"THERE HAVE BEEN MANY PLAYERS WHO HAVE BLED BLACK AND RED
OVER THE YEARS BUT NONE MORESO THAN BRAD BARRITT
THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES SKIPS"

Latest: SARACENS 17:17 BATH
Next: your guess is as good as mine

Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV:

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: 2020/21 Saracens Men's Squad (Full list in first post)
Sarriebone 23 June, 2020 10:42
Will Hooley signs from Bedford: [www.saracens.com]

Barty II 23 June, 2020 11:27
Got it. No indication of a contract length so far. But a very good signing for me. International, premiership and championship experience, and a good player to have both as an understudy to Owen and an mentor to Manu.

With the Chairman's Update the other day, and the fact that contracts are up on the 30th June, would expect a bit more news to come in the next week

OldMarovian 23 June, 2020 13:10
A very interesting signing for a number of reasons and a player I have been following for a while. He's one of a small handful of exciting Academy players who were fairly poorly served by Mallinders time in charge of Northampton and then must have thought his dreams came true when he was signed by Chiefs only to find a similar pattern repeated there as Joe Simmonds matured sooner than expected and became Steensons back-up then rightfully claimed his starting spot.

To me has the makings of an exceptional squad player although even now I wonder whether he'll be mentoring Manu who already seems well on the way himself. Either way he's a thorough professional and a nice young chap and I can see him adding a lot to the squad. I'd hope that his experience with the realities of playing in the Championship might also be of benefit to the squad in the coming season.

Welcome Will and I hope it works out for you at Saracens.

jonnybrowne 23 June, 2020 19:22
Quote:
OldMarovian
A very interesting signing for a number of reasons and a player I have been following for a while. He's one of a small handful of exciting Academy players who were fairly poorly served by Mallinders time in charge of Northampton and then must have thought his dreams came true when he was signed by Chiefs only to find a similar pattern repeated there as Joe Simmonds matured sooner than expected and became Steensons back-up then rightfully claimed his starting spot.
To me has the makings of an exceptional squad player although even now I wonder whether he'll be mentoring Manu who already seems well on the way himself. Either way he's a thorough professional and a nice young chap and I can see him adding a lot to the squad. I'd hope that his experience with the realities of playing in the Championship might also be of benefit to the squad in the coming season.

Welcome Will and I hope it works out for you at Saracens.

Given our track record of helping players to fulfil their potential, I think the future at Sarries looks bright for Will, and I wish him well.

Barty II 24 June, 2020 10:13
Signing of Ealing centre Harry Sloan now confirmed by the club and added to my squad list in the first post - again no contract info

OldMarovian 24 June, 2020 17:12
[quote jonnybrowne]Given our track record of helping players to fulfil their potential, I think the future at Sarries looks bright for Will/quote]

thumbs down

The Bard 24 June, 2020 20:31
Will Hooley sounds an ideal man for the Storm team, particularly if Ian Tempest is reffing!

tpr's headmistress 24 June, 2020 21:22
How long before he gets called 'Tom Dooley' - I haven't been able to get that song out of my head since reading his name.(Sm105)

jonnybrowne 25 June, 2020 08:08
Quote:
tpr's headmistress
How long before he gets called 'Tom Dooley' - I haven't been able to get that song out of my head since reading his name.(Sm105)

Hang down your head.... 😄

Sarriebone 25 June, 2020 14:03
SEAN REFFELL COMMITS FUTURE TO SARACENS
The 21-year-old has signed a new deal to keep him in north London until 2022 and he will also make the step up from the Senior Academy to the first-team squad.

[www.saracens.com]

Barty II 25 June, 2020 15:04
always nice to fill in some of the unknowns in contracts

Barty II 26 June, 2020 10:25
Best news yet for me - Nick Tompkins only going on loan to the Dragons and will be back!

Sarriebone 26 June, 2020 10:27
Quote:
Barty II
Best news yet for me - Nick Tompkins only going on loan to the Dragons and will be back!
Yup great news

confirmation from the 'fish [www.saracens.com]

jonnybrowne 26 June, 2020 11:59
Quote:
Barty II

Iíd have thought in playing/experience terms heíd have been better going to Scarlets or Ospreys, but obviously a one year only deal was the obstacle (I lost track of the story a bit). Couldnít be more pleased that Nick will be back next year.

OldMarovian 26 June, 2020 12:27
Quote:
Barty II

+1

Looking at the nucleus of the squad for the future most of whom have signed on for "long" contracts shows the incredible value and output of the Academy:

RAH, Isiekwe, Kpoku(s) Earl, Reffell, Manu, Tompkins, Mallins, Morris, Segun, etc. Add the "old boys" of Mako, George, Farrell, Kruis, Wray, Goode and you're a TH away from an Academy XV that could give most club teams a very decent game!

JL904 26 June, 2020 16:35
When the SC scandal broke the general consensus among pundits and rival fans was that the squad would be gutted. Many sneered at the suggestion that many players (especially the younger squad members) were motivated to remain at the club for reasons other than money.

Having Sanjay, Big Will and George K + others off the books from next season saves a whole lot of salary - but the desire of the young loan players to return speaks volumes IMHO. Interesting to note that Owen, Billy & Mako V, Maro, Jamie & Elliott D look as though they didn't fancy being flogged into the ground at another club having been on a "rugby treadmill" for the last 4 years.

Sarriebone 26 June, 2020 17:26
Seems to me the squad weren't quite the bunch of mercenaries some people thought they were...

jonnybrowne 27 June, 2020 12:28
Quote:
Sarriebone
Seems to me the squad weren't quite the bunch of mercenaries some people thought they were...

Absolutely. Clearly suited the Daily Fail agenda to cast things as such, and maybe it tells us that the clubís culture is even stronger than we realise.

Sarriebone 29 June, 2020 10:23
CAPTAIN BRAD BARRITT HAS SIGNED A CONTRACT EXTENSION TO ENSURE HE WILL BE A SARACEN UNTIL THE CONCLUSION OF THE 2019/20 SEASON, HIS 12TH AND FINAL SEASON AT THE CLUB.

[www.saracens.com]

myleftboot 29 June, 2020 13:18
Makes that European Cup an even bigger target, send Brad off into the sunset with yet another trophy!!

jonnybrowne 29 June, 2020 19:30
Quote:
Sarriebone
CAPTAIN BRAD BARRITT HAS SIGNED A CONTRACT EXTENSION TO ENSURE HE WILL BE A SARACEN UNTIL THE CONCLUSION OF THE 2019/20 SEASON, HIS 12TH AND FINAL SEASON AT THE CLUB.

[www.saracens.com]

Canít figure out from the statements and reports Iíve seen if Brad will retire now or carry on playing. Maybe heís keeping his options open.

Sarriebone 29 June, 2020 19:42
Quote:
jonnybrowne
Quote:
Sarriebone

[www.saracens.com]

Canít figure out from the statements and reports Iíve seen if Brad will retire now or carry on playing. Maybe heís keeping his options open.

Agreed, though if he is planning on carrying on playing the extension suggest possibly Japan or SH as their season won't have started by the time ours finishes

Sarriebone 30 June, 2020 13:02
Saracens is delighted to welcome prop Alec Clarey to the club.
The 26-year-old tighthead has joined from Jersey Reds.

[www.saracens.com]

Barty II 30 June, 2020 13:05
Quite enjoying the daily squad update from the club!

Barty II 30 June, 2020 21:52
Rhys Carre has confirmed on Twitter he's heading back to Cardiff Blues

Barty II 01 July, 2020 15:11
Janco Venter the latest strong rumour to be confirmed!

OldMarovian 01 July, 2020 16:41
Quote:
Barty II
Rhys Carre has confirmed on Twitter he's heading back to Cardiff Blues

That's a real shame whilst it was totally expected. His signing was somewhat opportunistic given the Welsh clubs inability to offer him a contract at the time and I'd still be surprised if he wouldn't be better off long-term sticking with Saracens but given he is now an International maybe he's happy to just focus on those games rather than achieving anything at club level?

Barty II 01 July, 2020 17:31
I think his contract with us may have only been another two years, after which he'd probably need to go back to Wales to play international rugby anyway. With one of those years in the Championship I have to admit staying with us does seem like it wouldn't have been the best thing for him if he wants to be first choice prop for Wales

Dolph42 01 July, 2020 17:47
Quote:
Barty II
I think his contract with us may have only been another two years, after which he'd probably need to go back to Wales to play international rugby anyway. With one of those years in the Championship I have to admit staying with us does seem like it wouldn't have been the best thing for him if he wants to be first choice prop for Wales

He only had one year remaining from what I understand, but your point still stands we wouldn't have kept him in 2021 so better to release him now. I'm sure this strategy is going into our recruitment / retention in general i.e. it's not so much players for 2020/21, but for the season/s beyond that, hence why I can see Brad and Wiggy leaving.

myleftboot 01 July, 2020 18:34
Quote:
Barty II
Janco Venter the latest strong rumour to be confirmed!
confirmed
[www.saracens.com]

jonnybrowne 01 July, 2020 19:35
Quote:
Dolph42
Quote:
Barty II

He only had one year remaining from what I understand, but your point still stands we wouldn't have kept him in 2021 so better to release him now. I'm sure this strategy is going into our recruitment / retention in general i.e. it's not so much players for 2020/21, but for the season/s beyond that, hence why I can see Brad and Wiggy leaving.

I may have dreamt this, but Iím sure when he came to Sarries I saw a story somewhere to the effect that leaving Blues wasnít necessarily his preferred option although I suppose that could have been put out to soften the blow in Cardiff.

myleftboot 02 July, 2020 07:56
As I recall, the Blues completely bolloxed his contract negotiations, either forgot to offer, or didn't get back to him.

Sarriebone 02 July, 2020 14:44
SARACENS CAN HAPPILY REVEAL ALEX LEWINGTON HAS SIGNED A NEW DEAL TO KEEP HIM AT THE CLUB UNTIL AT LEAST 2022.
[www.saracens.com]

Sarriebone 02 July, 2020 15:07
Quote:
Sarriebone
Quote:
jonnybrowne
Quote:
Sarriebone

[www.saracens.com]

Agreed, though if he is planning on carrying on playing the extension suggest possibly Japan or SH as their season won't have started by the time ours finishes

Brad Barritt has spoken to the media following the news that he signed an extension with Saracens to remain there for the conclusion of the 2019/20 season. However, whilst confirming his UK career is done he didnít rule out a move to South Africa.
[lastwordonrugby.com]

jonnybrowne 02 July, 2020 19:36
Quote:
Sarriebone
SARACENS CAN HAPPILY REVEAL ALEX LEWINGTON HAS SIGNED A NEW DEAL TO KEEP HIM AT THE CLUB UNTIL AT LEAST 2022.
[www.saracens.com]

I havenít always been convinced by Alex, but I do like what heís said about taking a leadership role next season.

Sarriebone 03 July, 2020 15:02
Saracens is pleased to announce the signing of experienced second row Tim Swinson.

[www.saracens.com]

cardiff_steve 04 July, 2020 16:17
Quote:
myleftboot
As I recall, the Blues completely bolloxed his contract negotiations, either forgot to offer, or didn't get back to him.

You're half remembering it.

The WRU in their endearing wisdom imposed a moratorium on any contract offers for about three months. At exactly the time of year when teams tend to tie up contracts for the following season. Cardiff had made him an offer but couldnt negotiate it while that nonsense was in progress. In the meantime, Saracens stepped in.

myleftboot 04 July, 2020 17:05
Fairynuff steve, didn't Google it, just dimly recalled another Welsh contract xoxk up!

jonnybrowne 04 July, 2020 18:27
Quote:
myleftboot
Fairynuff steve, didn't Google it, just dimly recalled another Welsh contract xoxk up!

Ditto.

Sarriebone 06 July, 2020 13:03
Dom Morris extends until 2022
[www.saracens.com]

Barty II 06 July, 2020 14:13
Very encouraged by what I've seen of Morris, more in the Taylor/Tompkins mould than a Barritt - needs a good injury free run and suspect he will be very important in the Championship matches

Gryff 06 July, 2020 15:10
Dom has been one of the players I really like the look of if he can get a good run he will be a star

Japie 07 July, 2020 07:50
Hakalo announced he is leaving. No details of his next step.

[www.instagram.com]

Sarriebone 07 July, 2020 13:02
Great news: Ralph Adams-Hale has committed to the club until 2023

[www.saracens.com]

Sara'sman 07 July, 2020 13:12
Agreed great news, in part since 3 years suggests that his rehab has gone well. Hopefully this answers the question on here a few weeks back re his recovery. We've not forgotten you Ralph and look forward to watching your game continue to develop over the coming years.

jonnybrowne 07 July, 2020 15:28
Quote:
Sara'sman
Agreed great news, in part since 3 years suggests that his rehab has gone well. Hopefully this answers the question on here a few weeks back re his recovery. We've not forgotten you Ralph and look forward to watching your game continue to develop over the coming years.

Absolutely - I think his display when he came on against Exeter at Twickenham last year really showed his potential. Nice lad as well.

Sarriebone 08 July, 2020 14:04
Manu Vunipola re-signs until 2023

[www.saracens.com]

OldMarovian 08 July, 2020 14:12
Quote:
jonnybrowne
I think his display when he came on against Exeter at Twickenham last year really showed his potential. Nice lad as well.

Agree. Great break followed by a lovely offload as he went to deck straight to an onrushing Jamie George.

RAH, Manu and Morris all very good news. Good luck to Hakalo although I never saw him play for Saracens.

Sarriebone 09 July, 2020 14:01
We kinda knew it was coming but today Sean Maitland has extended until at least 2022

[www.saracens.com]

Barty II 09 July, 2020 14:18
Yeah anticlimax that one as we knew it already - but glad its all confirmed!

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net