Latest news:
New Page 1

Welcome to The Saracens. Our message board is primarily a place for Saracens fans to discuss our club. We welcome posters from other clubs as long as their posts are respectful and not repetitive and our guidelines are followed. To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE,
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
LOCKDOWN!

Latest: SARACENS 23:14 LEICESTER TIGERS
Next: God only knows!

Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: tbc

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Kruiso to Japan? Telegraph interview today
Discussion started by Bram1ey_Road , 29 February, 2020 07:43
Kruiso to Japan? Telegraph interview today
Bram1ey_Road 29 February, 2020 07:43
“It’s been tough [to weigh up] but it is exciting on all fronts,” said Kruis of his future plans. “It has always been emotional playing for Englan, an absolute privilege. It will be a good opportunity whatever I decide to do.”

Kruis is a player’s player, admired for the consistency of his play as well as his commitment to the cause. He was something of an unlikely addition to the ranks after pitching up for a trial at the Saracens Academy in 2008.

“I remember him joining Saracens as an 18 year-old,” said club and country teammate, Jamie George. “He’d have to drive from Dorking every morning, getting up at 5am, not getting paid any money to do it. I think he was 90kilos. He was awful, nothing short of that, he was a bad rugby player. Everyone was like, 'We’re just handing trials out? He’s a competition winner?' Then the minute he gets in the gym, you see how hard he works, he puts on 30kg.
George Kruis is preparing for the probable end of his England career in the same unobtrusive manner that a once skinny, under-developed rake of an 18 year-old set himself the task of breaking into the professional game.

Kruis has yet to confirm that he will leave Saracens for a new role in Japan, a move that classifies him as an overseas player and which will mean a severing of links with England, but it is clear that the 30 year-old is on the brink of a new departure, one that might have come to pass in any circumstances but which has been brought to a head by the turmoil over salary cap transgressions at Saracens.

Kruis is one of the game’s most understated, most under-rated players despite the fact that he won his 45th international cap (including one for the Lions) in a dominant outing against Ireland last weekend. Even though England possess great depth at lock, there is little doubt that Kruis’s intelligent, grafting presence will be missed.
known George for over 10 years. He’s incredibly impressive. He’s squeezed the most out of his career that he possibly could because of the amount of work he’s put in. Everyone looks at his lineout, he’s a nause, he’s a guru, whatever you want to call it, he’s brilliant, but he works incredibly hard on his all-round game.

He is one of the hardest-working players you will find. He is always very tough on himself, but in terms of standard-setting, you don’t need to look much further than him.”

George’s tribute did not extend to Kruis’s shock attempt at a grubber kick during the game against Ireland, a fluffed effort that simply ricocheted off an opponent.

“That was the worst thing he has ever done on a rugby field, which is saying something,” said George.

Kruis acknowledges that he won’t be doing that again, adding that it was just “an execution error”.

Kruis will be up against one of his Lions comrades for the match against Wales in the enduring shape of Alun Wyn Jones.
The prospect holds no qualms for him

“He is obviously a great player but I’ll spend the next week looking at the work of Maro (Itoje), Joe (Launchbury) and Courtney (Lawes) and the rest so I’m focussed on getting the best from us so that we can put the meat on the bones for Wales,” said Kruis, who has been heartened by the upturn in English fortunes against Ireland.

“It ranked right up there. We were quite dominant and really imposed our game-plan on them. Set-piece wise we went after them a fair bit. Ireland clearly found it tough to deal with, especially in that first half. It was a good crack. I enjoyed it. There are still bits we can get out of the second half. To let them get a try towards the end was a bit disappointing. But it was a good day.”

And Kruis intends for that to continue on what might well be his last England appearance at Twickenham.

ENDS

So, mega thanks to PRL for not only screwing their domestic competition but also the whole National side! Well done PRL!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/02/2020 07:46 by Bram1ey_Road.

Re: Kruiso to Japan? Telegraph interview today
Dolph42 29 February, 2020 08:23
I wouldn't get to excited about it. Maybe he just plays one season there, earns more than he'd make in England or France, makes some more memories, rests his body and comes back to us for the start of 2021/22. Given his business interests I'd be surprised if he's playing there for the next 5 years.

nedrichards 29 February, 2020 09:23
Similar gloss on a guardian article.

BlackheathSarrie 29 February, 2020 11:03
I am not sure how feasible it is but I'd love to see both Wiggle and Kruis join Saracens in a coaching capacity at some stage even if they go off and pursue other projects first. Kruis in particular has the potential to be a future England coach IMO.

1876-Fez 10 March, 2020 13:29
Chris Ashton on Rugby Union Weekly Pod cast said that he spoke with George and he (GK) was told he wasn't going to be part of England set up after RWC... and was surprised when added to England WhatsApp group!

It sounded genuine from Chris (he also spoke about his leaving Sale and being picked up by Quins).

This could explain GK's possible move to Japan ...

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

samgibbo 10 March, 2020 14:09
Kruiso would be a huge loss to ourselves and England. I sincerely hope he stays and, as referenced above, can hopefully find himself a role at the club in years to come. Only time will tell and with Joel reportedly staying, a short-term move to Japan does look more likely...

On a side note, finding out about your international future on an England Whatsapp group, that sounds like Ashton talking ball locks. Do you really think the players would include Eddie (and the other coaches) in their Group.....?!

BlackheathSarrie 10 March, 2020 15:08
"that sounds like Ashton talking ball locks"

Players have made reference before to their first knowledge they were being dropped was being removed from the official players whatsapp group so I wouldn't be so sure.

1876-Fez 10 March, 2020 16:29
Quote:
BlackheathSarrie
"that sounds like Ashton talking ball locks"
Players have made reference before to their first knowledge they were being dropped was being removed from the official players whatsapp group so I wouldn't be so sure.

Looks like this is correct as it is run by team manager and his staff..... Danny Care and Chris Ashton both said they had often been on/off of it!!

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

samgibbo 10 March, 2020 18:33
I can't stand DC hence i'm not a listener of their podcast but, if it's true, that's shambolic and, irrespective of a strong World Cup performance, gives me more reason to think EJ is not someone who should be leading England.

tpr's headmistress 10 March, 2020 18:39
DC and UM - a mutual admiration society .....

wolfgangvonb77 11 March, 2020 11:09
Hope he comes back to us after Japan and acts as a mentor for some of our up and coming players as well when he finishes. I love him as a player as he works really hard and didn't let any knock backs keep him down.

Saraken 11 March, 2020 12:17
Quote:
wolfgangvonb77
Hope he comes back to us after Japan and acts as a mentor for some of our up and coming players as well when he finishes. I love him as a player as he works really hard and didn't let any knock backs keep him down.

I do too.
I think he would make a good captain

Sarriebone 11 March, 2020 12:27
He doesn't seem to think his England career is over, which is hopefully good news:
[www.rugbypass.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net