Latest news:
New Page 1

Welcome to The Saracens. Our message board is primarily a place for Saracens fans to discuss our club. We welcome posters from other clubs as long as their posts are respectful and not repetitive and our guidelines are followed. To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE,
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
LOCKDOWN!

Latest: SARACENS 23:14 LEICESTER TIGERS
Next: God only knows!

Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: tbc

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Coronavirus
Roderick Flashheart 13 March, 2020 12:47
Everest has now been closed for the rest of the climbing season.

GazzaFez 13 March, 2020 14:13
Breaking news................

Wales v Scotland Six Nations now off as well.

I see that the PRC Final between Sale and Quins on Sunday is still scheduled to go ahead however.

Surbiton Sarries 13 March, 2020 14:15
Wales v Scotland U20 still on, but behind closed doors. Coverage on S4C

Blanchefleur 13 March, 2020 14:29
The financial consequences of a suspended season for some clubs could be disastrous as up to 30% of revenues are generated by home match days according to the Telegraph.
I would hope that all clubs are insured for loss of income but whether any cover would be effective if there is a prolonged break may be down to the small print.
Possibly the club to feel a chilly wind most may be Wasps as they have to meet a 6.5% coupon on £32m of bonds and rely on income to achieve this through a range of activities at the Ricoh which one would assume are in the process of being cancelled. It would be unlikely that cancelled events or events that simply are not booked would be fully covered.
Difficult times ahead I fear.

maynas 13 March, 2020 14:47
It’s happening at short notice now with tomorrow’s Wales v Scotland match cancelled. Seems a bit daft this late as the fans are arriving anyway so pubs will overflow. I bet a pub is a much better transmission area than a stadium! Not much sport left this weekend now sadly.

TonyTaff 13 March, 2020 16:05
Quote:
Blanchefleur
The financial consequences of a suspended season for some clubs could be disastrous as up to 30% of revenues are generated by home match days according to the Telegraph.
I would hope that all clubs are insured for loss of income but whether any cover would be effective if there is a prolonged break may be down to the small print.
Possibly the club to feel a chilly wind most may be Wasps as they have to meet a 6.5% coupon on £32m of bonds and rely on income to achieve this through a range of activities at the Ricoh which one would assume are in the process of being cancelled. It would be unlikely that cancelled events or events that simply are not booked would be fully covered.
Difficult times ahead I fear.

Shirley, there will be a force majeure clause in the bond?

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication.

(*) As at October 31, 2018.

siNBin 13 March, 2020 16:37
Surely most of the Scots fans would be almost in Cardiff by 2pm.

le cheval a boulonné

GazzaFez 13 March, 2020 19:12
Quote:
GazzaFez
Breaking news................
Wales v Scotland Six Nations now off as well.

I see that the PRC Final between Sale and Quins on Sunday is still scheduled to go ahead however.

Well that didn't take long!

PRC final had been called off as well. Officially postponed however there are so many officially postponed fixtures now, as opposed to cancelled, it would now be impossible to fit them all in next season anyway. They'll all get canned no doubt.

maynas 14 March, 2020 10:04
PRC is People’s Republic of China??

GazzaFez 14 March, 2020 13:58
Quote:
maynas
PRC is People’s Republic of China??

Premiership Rugby Cup!

The replacement for LV cup, Anglo Welsh etc.

Ol'oneeye 14 March, 2020 17:57
I live in Norway... the country here has pretty much closed down. Along with most of mainland Europe, the authorities are taking unprecedented peace time measures to restrict the spread of this. For us here it's serious and very real....
I have elderly relatives in the UK and I am worried.... but I'm unsure if it's a massive overreaction from a lot of countries with a lot of experts here, or a massive underrreaction over there.
Time will tell and I just hope all come through this well.

If Europe is right don't expect any rugby until autumn.

Roger G 14 March, 2020 18:27
It seems pretty clear it's here to stay and that most of us are going to be exposed sooner or later. The scientists and politicians know very little about the disease yet so it's hard to tell how bad most people's symptoms will be, and whether there is over or under-reaction - time will tell.

For what it's worth, my uninformed opinion is that it's likely that tens of thousands probably already have been exposed in the UK (hundreds orf thousands or millions world wide) and that most are having such mild symptoms that they aren't being detected. I can see the point of trying to slow transmission to try to spread the load on the medical services, and to maximise time to discover/develop medical interventions, but I can also see why governments might want to balance that with the impact on livelihoods, businesses and day-to-day living as well. There is no longer any point in hoping to contain the disease - it's here and most of us are going to get it.

I also suspect that, in the long term, this will be a wake up call and people will take much more responsibility for themselves in terms of personal hygeine than in the past, which is a silver lining IMHO.

JohnI 14 March, 2020 20:44
Part of the problem currently is that some people keep quoting that it’s no worse than flu and the number of people that die from flu in a year is higher BUT we have lots of medical information about flu and how it tends to die off as soon as the weather warms up but very little about this strain and what it’s characteristics are and what immunity can be built up against it.
The figures quoted in the National risk register for something like a pandemic flu are not in the 100s they are in the 10,000s and the way this keeps rising exponentionally because some people refuse to accept what is happening for real and not taking any precautions (25% people surveyed) or listening to advice will only continue to fuel this.

AP 14 March, 2020 21:02
It is a bit more dangerous than flu (rather more for those with an underlying medical problem) BUT with flu we have personal and herd immunity through previous exposure plus the annual vaccines. So you are 100 - 1000 times more likely to catch it.

This is the basis of the UK strategy of letting it develop as slowly as possible so that the NHS isn't overwhelmed (as has happened in Italy) and any second or third wave will be resisted. Quite possibly in two weeks time we will be little better placed than Italy now is, but we wil be nearer the end of its run.

Basically, go out with your children but don't take them to your parents!

Largely, it will accelerate the deaths of some individuals who would otherwise have died within five years. As the government has said, that is regrettable. But it's not going to wipe out a generation.

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

Innings 14 March, 2020 23:06
This is a three-pronged fork. The medical stuff is playing out already, and the 'experts' seem to have disagreement about the way to handle it, in the light of the probability of a peak moment of major medical interventions for numbers of patients that no health service is ready to handle. The social stuff is a totally unknown experiment, and if the peak is not going to arrive for two/ three months, the cost to society's cohesion of trying to lock up the entire population at home for so long will be immense. The economic implications are also immense, and the sort of recession that the world faces will so damage national finances that the world will lose a decade or more of economic growth.

Personally, I think that the unemotional rational response is is going to be overwhelmed by irrational demands that governments 'do something', even if that something is neither effective in the short term nor socially or economically wise in the longer term.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

GazzaFez 15 March, 2020 09:21
Just had a look at the Saracens official website. To my surprise I see they are still advertising tickets for both the Quins game at Spurs and the GP Final. Quite extraordinary when it is now abundantly clear that neither will take place. The season is over.

moo-moo 15 March, 2020 13:25
From the BBC:

Premiership Rugby will consider a 12-week suspension of top-flight rugby at a special meeting about the coronavirus outbreak on Monday.... Exeter lead after 13 games, and one source told BBC Sport that they should be "given the title with an asterisk".

Anyone taking bets as to who the' source' might be?

Surbiton Sarries 15 March, 2020 15:41
Quote:
moo-moo
From the BBC:
Premiership Rugby will consider a 12-week suspension of top-flight rugby at a special meeting about the coronavirus outbreak on Monday.... Exeter lead after 13 games, and one source told BBC Sport that they should be "given the title with an asterisk".

Anyone taking bets as to who the' source' might be?

Would AZP be available to us in June/July/August?

GazzaFez 15 March, 2020 16:15
Quote:
Surbiton Sarries

Would AZP be available to us in June/July/August?

Technically yes. We would have to make the running track completely clear, so by removing the North & South stands and the demountable section of the East and reverting to the original West stand we could, albeit with a hugely reduced capacity, assuming no other objections from the athletics club of course. Also not quite sure how this would sit with our planning permission; the restriction is on the number of matches played (no increase) and on which days of the week. I'm not clear if there is any clause that the matches have to be 'in season' as such. However, in the circumstances I can't see why we would agree.

Add to the mix that if the Premiership could play during the summer, then why not the Summer tours for England, Wales and Scotland? Then you have teams missing key players. You then have a right old mess, as if we haven't already!

maynas 15 March, 2020 17:29
Can’t see how playing through the summer helps with next season supposedly starting normally end August??

Banzai1314 15 March, 2020 18:00
It appears that Saracens’s yet again start a new fashion with an asterisk being engraved on this years Premiership title.

wolfgangvonb77 16 March, 2020 18:04
If the season is a write off surely the title stays without a winner, as the winner is decided from the playoffs. I'd love to see Tony Rowes face hahaha.

GazzaFez 16 March, 2020 19:08
STATEMENT FROM SARACENS...........

To the Saracens family,

Following guidance from Premiership Rugby and the relevant national health bodies, including Public Health England and the NHS, it has been confirmed that all imminent Gallagher Premiership and Premiership Rugby Shield fixtures have been postponed for five weeks including the weekend of the 18th April due to the impact of coronavirus.

Saracens’ Heineken Champions Cup quarter-final away to Leinster at the Aviva Stadium on Saturday 4th April has also been postponed.

Saracens fully supports this decision and is working with PRL and EPCR to reschedule all Premiership games, including The Showdown at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, and the European fixture for a later date.

It’s important to reiterate at this point that all Saracens season tickets, hospitality packages and tickets purchased will remain valid for rescheduled games.

As soon as games are rescheduled or if there are any updates regarding the status of games we will be in contact with ticket purchasers.

Your patience is appreciated whilst we work with PRL, EPCR and all clubs on this unprecedented situation.

As a Club we put the well-being of our people first. We are awaiting guidelines from the relevant authorities and are preparing contingency plans for our players, staff and community departments to work remotely in the event of disruption to our normal day-to-day schedules.

At the very heart of Saracens’ ethos is the concept of family, unity and togetherness.

With that in mind, we would urge everyone to take every necessary precaution as we collectively aim to reduce the spread of COVID-19.

If you are feeling unwell and display any of the symptoms outlined:

• a high temperature – you feel hot to touch on your chest or back

• a new, continuous cough – this means you've started coughing repeatedly

We would urge you to avoid any public interactions.Do not go to a GP surgery, pharmacy or hospital. You do not need to contact 111 to tell them you're staying at home. Testing for coronavirus is not needed if you're staying at home.

Innings 16 March, 2020 19:24
I succumbed to the urge to go out panic-buying on Saturday. The wine merchant was very understanding and even offered home-delivery service.

Innings

Convex Hull 16 March, 2020 20:24
Quote:
Innings
I succumbed to the urge to go out panic-buying on Saturday. The wine merchant was very understanding and even offered home-delivery service.

I got an email this morning offering the same service. I can't imagine why he put me on his mailing list.

Regardez mon visage. Suis-je bovvered?

MaroonTyke2 16 March, 2020 20:35
Quote:
wolfgangvonb77
If the season is a write off surely the title stays without a winner, as the winner is decided from the playoffs. I'd love to see Tony Rowes face hahaha.
and Saracens retain the trophy as current holders(Sm100)

PhillFez 16 March, 2020 22:11
Quote:
Innings

All I got was emails from Mr Sainsbury and Mr Morrison asking me not to buy more that I need (Sm100). Maybe I should shop at more Majestic outlets winking smiley

Innings 16 March, 2020 23:03
Quote:
PhillFez
Quote:
Innings

All I got was emails from Mr Sainsbury and Mr Morrison asking me not to buy more that I need (Sm100). Maybe I should shop at more Majestic outlets winking smiley

Are you suggesting that my order, delivered in a large van, was greater than I need? A modest few dozen cases to top up my Bordeaux and Burgundy cellars is scarcely extravagant. In view of the unsettled times I felt it wrong to plan much need for champagne during the next few months, so was able to leave that bay of the cellar unreplenished, so I did my bit for the austere mood of the nation as well.

Innings

Barty II 17 March, 2020 08:02
My friend was given 2 hours to clear his desk at Ryanair yesterday, any chance you could spare a bottle or two for him from your collection to get him through the week Innings? (Sm147)

PhillFez 17 March, 2020 09:41
Quote:
Innings
Are you suggesting that my order, delivered in a large van, was greater than I need?
Certainly not, one has to be prepared these days (Sm128)
I was only reflecting on the virus-inspired emails flooding into our inboxes. I have several from professional bodies telling me meeting rooms and F2F meetings are no longer available, Neighbourhood watch is telling me not to fall for face mask scams and the NHS telling me how to recognise the infection. On the whole I’d rather have a list of decent Bordeaux any day. (Sm15)

lechef 18 March, 2020 10:56
Greetings from France, where we are in lock down. We have to take a form with us if we want to go shopping or go for a walk. If you are stopped by the Police and do not have the form you are fined upto €135. I was out yesterday having the MOT done on the car, and was stopped. Fortunately I had the form and also the bill from the garage so was OK.

To all in the Sarries family keep safe and well.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net