Latest news:
New Page 1

Welcome to The Saracens. Our message board is primarily a place for Saracens fans to discuss our club. We welcome posters from other clubs as long as their posts are respectful and not repetitive and our guidelines are followed. To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE,
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
LOCKDOWN!

Latest: SARACENS 23:14 LEICESTER TIGERS
Next: God only knows!

Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: tbc

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Well done Saracens
Discussion started by Stopsy , 07 March, 2020 14:57
Well done Saracens
Stopsy 07 March, 2020 14:57
Closer than I feared but annoyed that we didnít select our strongest available squad.

Re: Well done Saracens
Sarriebone 07 March, 2020 16:10
Quote:
Stopsy
Closer than I feared but annoyed that we didnít select our strongest available squad.

Cheers Stopsy. Shame your lads kicked so much in the first half or I think you could have taken it.

Eric Browett 07 March, 2020 16:19
Thanks, Stopsy. Not much quality in the match. Sarries were more adventurous but lineout was poor and we coughed up too much ball in promising positions. To be honest Tigers were pretty limited apart from a couple of lock forward 40m charges!

Bram1ey_Road 08 March, 2020 03:15
JP Doyle anyone?
Doing well for a visual impairment...

Convex Hull 08 March, 2020 04:17
Stopsy, always the gentleman.

Regardez mon visage. Suis-je bovvered?

Roger G 08 March, 2020 10:47
Quote:
Bram1ey_Road
JP Doyle anyone?
Doing well for a visual impairment...

I really would advise using the reflink thingys. Doyle missed a view things IMHO, but some of his bizarre looking decisions sounded much more plausible when he explained them to the players, for example when big Will picked up one of the Tigers, Doyle explained that a maul hadn't been formed because Will picking the other guy up had rendered the ball unplayable. If he leaves the other guy's feet on the ground scrum Sarries, off the ground scrum Tigers.

Eurosarrie 08 March, 2020 10:57
RG
Thanks for that insight. We were all wondering why that was the call. However, isn't that what a "choke tackle" is in the first place (rendering the ball unplayable). Was this actually the correct application of the rules, or just JP's interpretation?
Interesting....

Roger G 08 March, 2020 11:05
Quote:
Eurosarrie
RG
Thanks for that insight. We were all wondering why that was the call. However, isn't that what a "choke tackle" is in the first place (rendering the ball unplayable). Was this actually the correct application of the rules, or just JP's interpretation?
Interesting....

I've no idea whether that's the correct interpretation of the rules, but JP genuinely believed it was - and he probably knows better than most of us to be fair. He certainly repeated twice to the Brad that "your guy picking him up" was what had influenced the decision. It's also quite clear on he ref mikes what kind of relationship the various refs have with the players and, I have to say, JP doesn't seem to have much in the way of camaraderie.

BlackheathSarrie 08 March, 2020 12:18
Quote:
Stopsy

Did you perhaps pick a job to do a specific job? Looked like you tried to put out a pack to bully us at set piece and tbf that worked pretty well with a definite advantage at scrum time and some superb disruptive work at the breakdown. Where it felt a bit short was in ideas in attack. I never really had any feeling of Tigers building pressure as opposed to creating a breakaway moment.

That said I thought young Hardwick stepped up impressively and kicked beautifully. Both Tigers Reffell and your LH prop ably assisted by JP were a nightmare at the breakdown and your locks were hugely impressive. On that performance it seems somewhat odd that Spencer is being let go.

For Saracens I though that Gallagher was very impressive. Give a few weeks ago against Wasps I was wondering what had happened to him this was a return to his best and Munster have a gem for next season. I also thought this was Lewingtons best game, perhaps ever, at Saracens. A real glimpse of how he used to play on a regular basis at LI.

Both Wiggle and Spencer played very well as did Manu. Barritt reminded us of his abilities and variation as a play-maker as well as a direct option and defensive lynch-pin and he worked in tandem with Morris as well as I have seen any centre combination work for us for a while. Another big game from Skelton and if Kpoku is staying rather than moving to Saints and idea for him of the shoes he has to fill. Great as always by Isiekwe.

Lots of positive especially in the second half with some exceptional link play but the moves all to often broke down not under huge defensive pressure but because a player forced the last pass. Sometimes you have to bank a good break and just take the ball to deck and let it be recycled rather than go for a miracle offload.

The big work on for me is at hooker. Both Woolstencroft and Singleton looking good in the lose (although Woolstencroft needs to work on his contact skills) but both continuing to struggle at the lineout. Huge credit to Tigers jumpers who put lots of pressure on us and in some ways kudos to the boys for continuing to try long throws and complex moves even when it was going wrong. It feels like when we're struggling maybe we should simplify things but tbf maybe by challenging themselves they will improve quicker? if so, well done them.

Sarriebone 08 March, 2020 12:32
Have to agree BS, hooker/lineout is a huge problem for us right now when JG is away Woolstencroft ran some great lines yesterday but needs to work on keeping hold of the ball in contact.

We lost far too much posession in promissing postitions due to poor lineouts, could be that Tigers put a lot of pressure on at lineout time but it's been an issue for the last few matches...

The Bard 08 March, 2020 13:23
Actually thought Wiggy was a long way off his performance at Northampton. Very few of his kicks were contestable and he looked a bit slow at times.
Gallagher excellent under the high ball, great kicker and good runner. But distribution not good at all these past couple of weeks.
As Iíve said elsewhere, the more complicated our lineout drill the more likely we are to lose it.

Duncan Keene 09 March, 2020 15:40
Congrats on the win. As Stopsy says, we are a million miles away at the moment so it was closer than i feared. Disappointed to take the lead and then end up with nothing.

On the 'picking him up' thing, if that is lifting of a leg then it should be a penalty so i'm guessing it was a kind of bear hug scenario?!

Good to hear our pack was a bit more competitive than recent times, unsurprising to hear that our attack was non existent. Shows how good Ford and May are that you can drop them in to our team and we go from being totally blunt to scoring plenty of points (we just don't manage to marry that up with defence enough when they are playing!).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net