Latest news:
New Page 1

Welcome to The Saracens. Our message board is primarily a place for Saracens fans to discuss our club. We welcome posters from other clubs as long as their posts are respectful and not repetitive and our guidelines are followed. To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE,
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
LOCKDOWN!

Latest: SARACENS 23:14 LEICESTER TIGERS
Next: God only knows!

Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: tbc

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Marler.... cock!
Discussion started by 1876-Fez , 07 March, 2020 17:51
Marler.... cock!
1876-Fez 07 March, 2020 17:51
[www.google.com]

Video at bottom of page!!
I think he was struggling to find anything!!

Imagine the reaction if Saracens player had done that!!

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2020 19:53 by 1876-Fez.

Re: Marler.... cock!
myleftboot 07 March, 2020 18:51
I really struggle with Marler, he does so many good, honest things, then a ridiculous stunt like that

GazzaFez 07 March, 2020 18:59
Marler: "Unlike me, Alun Wyn Jones is not a complete pr*ck".

AP 07 March, 2020 21:25
The good thing about Marler is that he's more screwed on than Sinckler and Genge. Or less screwed up!

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

1876-Fez 07 March, 2020 21:44
AWJ not happy...

[www.walesonline.co.uk]

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

AP 07 March, 2020 21:50
From Wales online:

"Jones revealed the pair shook hands after the match and nothing more."

ďI look at the touch judge, obviously he didnít see what happened and thatís fine." Well, he's an assistant referee, so it's no longer in his job description.

Marler having fun, Quins the losers when he's banned for three games.

Jim 55 07 March, 2020 22:02
[quote AP]From Wales online:

"Jones revealed the pair shook hands after the match and nothing more."

ďI look at the touch judge, obviously he didnít see what happened and thatís fine." Well, he's an assistant referee, so it's no longer in his job description.

Marler having fun, Quins the losers when he's banned for three games.[/quot

I think the minimum is 12 weeks.

derbyshire fan 07 March, 2020 22:33
I donít think we can just treat this as a bit of banter; like it or not it is sexual assault. Done on prime time TV. Not an example to set.

Sorry Sarrie 07 March, 2020 23:22
Obviously the TOUCH judge missed his calling.

Where is Vincent Cock when you need him...

Bram1ey_Road 08 March, 2020 03:20
Joe stopped caring a year ago.

Convex Hull 08 March, 2020 04:15
Quote:
Bram1ey_Road

That would seem to be the case, but I am with Derbyshire Fan, just a nasty form of assault in an England shirt when watched by millions.

Similar behaviour has resulted in very lengthy bans in the past.

Regardez mon visage. Suis-je bovvered?

PhillFez 08 March, 2020 08:56
It was a serious assault but Vinnie Jones in Wendyball used to get away with more serious pressure - Gaza in particular.
Letís hope there is some degree of reaction by the regulators, but judging by their incompetence this season I wouldnít bank on it.

Gareth Thomas made light of it and claimed he wouldnít have given up playing if it became common (Sm141)

Sorry Sarrie 08 March, 2020 13:02
Quote:
PhillFez

Gareth Thomas made light of it and claimed he wouldnít have given up playing if it became common (Sm141)

And now he's had to apologise over a bit of gay banter;

sorry cock

JL904 08 March, 2020 14:19
Quote:
Convex Hull
Quote:
Bram1ey_Road

That would seem to be the case, but I am with Derbyshire Fan, just a nasty form of assault in an England shirt when watched by millions.

Similar behaviour has resulted in very lengthy bans in the past.

Marler is a loose cannon, but in an "old school"way which is thankfully becoming more and more anachronistic, although to label him as nasty would be rather harsh in my opinion.

For the ultimate example of pure unadulterated filth both on and off the rugby pitch, google the name John Hopoate.

GazzaFez 08 March, 2020 14:58
Poor old Quins. First it's #Bloodgate and now it's #Knobgate. Couldn't make it up really. Can't see anything less than the starting point 12 week ban TBH. I'd like to hear Marler's defence - 'I was feeling a bit frisky M'lud'. Not that it makes any difference to us though of course.

Roderick Flashheart 09 March, 2020 13:32
Quote:
PhillFez
It was a serious assault but Vinnie Jones in Wendyball used to get away with more serious pressure - Gaza in particular.

Vinnie is on par with Priti Patel ? Who knew ? (Sm100)

GazzaFez 09 March, 2020 15:22
Joe Marler has indeed been cited.

So has Manu Tuilagi and Courtney Lawes.

<< Six Nations Citing >>

Sarriebone 09 March, 2020 15:31
But no citing for Parkes... ridiculous

tpr's headmistress 09 March, 2020 15:33
What, only England players or does Wales Online not report on their own team.

TonyTaff 09 March, 2020 15:41
WoL stands for World of Lies, cariad.

I will wait for the original press release!

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

BlackheathSarrie 12 March, 2020 19:37
Only 10 weeks? Hopefully that's him done for England at least but with our head coach arguably an even bigger end of a bell I expect he'll get another chance.

Convex Hull 13 March, 2020 06:38
I really struggle to see merit in some of the comments that I have read that suggest that the punishment is too harsh for 'a bit of fun'.

I think it is a particularly nasty and sordid form of behaviour that is, rightly, recognised as serious assault by the law.

Something similar happened to a member of my family (in that case two females involved) and it left the victim distressed and very angry.

scrappydoo 13 March, 2020 07:08
If any of us had done this in the workplace, I imagine HR would be involved and may result in dismissal. Plus possible police investigation if the victim decides to report it. This is no different.

myleftboot 13 March, 2020 07:19
Being cynical, maybe Joe just fancied a long holiday this year, not like Quins have anything to play for this year....

#wolfpack 13 March, 2020 09:08
I think he's been shafted for playing the ball not the man.

beshocked 13 March, 2020 09:50
So Marler supposedly got his ban reduced for remorse and good character.....

How does that work? He didn't show any remorse.

This isn't Marler's first disciplinary hearing either.

Bit worrying than Danny Care thinks grabbing someone's genitals is banter.

Mike Tindall thought it was fine. I am shocked honestly.

If a Welsh player did it would they be so forgiving? I doubt it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/03/2020 09:53 by beshocked.

TOKS 13 March, 2020 10:52
As Danny Care rivals Dayglo and Austin Healey for the mantle of biggest male chicken on the planet I don't think we have to take his comments particularly seriously.

beshocked 13 March, 2020 11:01
Quote:
TOKS
As Danny Care rivals Dayglo and Austin Healey for the mantle of biggest male chicken on the planet I don't think we have to take his comments particularly seriously.

I actually quite like Dallaglio and Healey.

Ugo is the one I like the least as he has nothing interesting to add. A lot of the time I find myself shaking my head when he speaks.

At least Dallaglio's partisan opinions make him different. Healey is a good pundit.

maynas 13 March, 2020 14:55
Does the suspension start immediately or when theyíre are actually some matches on ? If the latter that may be him with his feet up till new year!

Exiled Falcon 13 March, 2020 15:47
Quote:
scrappydoo
If any of us had done this in the workplace, I imagine HR would be involved and may result in dismissal. Plus possible police investigation if the victim decides to report it. This is no different.

Does that mean any player who has been punched, elbowed, kicked, gouged etc etc should be able to instigate a police investigation also? Any of these can come under the Ďassaultí umbrella. Not arguing with your logic, just wondering on your take on other misdemeanours.

AP 13 March, 2020 21:21
Dallaglio (like Piers Morgan) serves the very useful purpose of indicating what is definitely the wrong position to take on any issue on which they speak.

maynas 14 March, 2020 10:01
seems Quins are upset at the length of his punishment versus say Tuilangi. I would have thought any rugby player should be banned for a long time for doing this in todayís world and any club should support such a ban. Iíd happily say that if he was one of ours too. However they neednít worry I canít see Quins playing that many games if any in next 10 weeks!

AP 14 March, 2020 14:48
Although expressed as weeks, it's actually "meaningful games", so his ban was to 8 June (12 elapsed weeks). The players' clubs will not be pleased if, this season being abandoned, the bans are recalculated to run next season!

I'd guess that it will be left alone, possibly the unions will agree not to select the players for the rearranged 6 Nations matches, if played eventually.

Adey 14 March, 2020 23:17
Serious assault. Get real. Worse things happen on Saturday afternoon rugby matches up and down the country every week.

AP 15 March, 2020 09:31
Quote:
Adey
Serious assault. Get real. Worse things happen on Saturday afternoon rugby matches up and down the country every week.

Serious in a different way from outright violence. As you don't agree, which is fine by me, you might like to ask the teenagers whom we wish to be encouraged into the game.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/03/2020 09:32 by AP.

Adey 15 March, 2020 20:35
Have you ever played the sport? Kids, teenagers, adults all do stuff to get a reaction from the opposition. Marler just did it openly and on the biggest stage. People calling it serious sexual assault should be banned from commenting on the game.

AP 16 March, 2020 08:04
I haven't called it a serious sexual offence - clearly there are far worse ones - but it is a serious rugby offence.

If your own argument is that I should be banned for having a different view to you, then you clearly haven't got much of a case, have you?

Adey 16 March, 2020 18:41
I said people. And no itís not.

Convex Hull 16 March, 2020 20:21
Quote:
Adey

It is vile, perverted, behaviour that I have observed to cause teenagers to stop playing hockey altogether.

JL904 16 March, 2020 23:06
Quote:
Convex Hull
Quote:
Adey

It is vile, perverted, behaviour that I have observed to cause teenagers to stop playing hockey altogether.

Indeed.

There's a reason that the authorities put it alongside biting and intentional eye-gouging with punishment starting at 12 weeks if found guilty.

beshocked 17 March, 2020 09:06
Quote:
Adey
Have you ever played the sport? Kids, teenagers, adults all do stuff to get a reaction from the opposition. Marler just did it openly and on the biggest stage. People calling it serious sexual assault should be banned from commenting on the game.

Doesn't make it right. Saying winding someone up happens all the time isn't a justification for it.

Insulting someone isn't the same as grabbing someone's delicate parts.

Adey 17 March, 2020 13:30
Quote:
JL904
Quote:
Convex Hull
Quote:
Adey

Indeed.

There's a reason that the authorities put it alongside biting and intentional eye-gouging with punishment starting at 12 weeks if found guilty.

So it was fair when Ashton got banned for 10 weeks for eye gouging back in 2016?

BlackheathSarrie 17 March, 2020 15:38
So your case is that Marler accidentally touched AWJs genitals?

Charitably he should have played in a different time. Less so, the guys a prat and the sport would be better off without him.

Adey 17 March, 2020 23:35
Ah of course, Ashtonís was accidental. Nothing to do with the fact he was a Sarries player? If one of our England players had done that Iím certain it would be a different story.

beshocked 18 March, 2020 09:18
Well Marler was smiling when grabbing AWJ's bits. It was premeditated.

Ashton's action was clumsy and arguably reckless.

They are different.

One thing I would say is that if you're going to wind up the opposition do what Jamie Ritchie did. Not Joe Marler.

Run up to the opposition from far away, start a fight, provoke them, see if you can get a reaction.

AWJ didn't even give Joe Marler the reaction he wanted.

Jamie Ritchie got away with it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net