Latest news:
New Page 1

Welcome to The Saracens. Our message board is primarily a place for Saracens fans to discuss our club. We welcome posters from other clubs as long as their posts are respectful and not repetitive and our guidelines are followed. To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE,
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
LOCKDOWN!

Latest: SARACENS 23:14 LEICESTER TIGERS
Next: God only knows!

Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: tbc

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Tompkins v Tuilagi
Discussion started by Sarakene , 07 March, 2020 20:44
Tompkins v Tuilagi
Sarakene 07 March, 2020 20:44
Obviously Nick is/was never going to displace Owen in the centre for England so today was a useful opportunity to compare him with Manu. Nick played well but imo he made the right decision to invoke his grandma. A shame for us and him given the poor state of the club scene in Wales.

Re: Tompkins v Tuilagi
AP 07 March, 2020 21:20
A little harsh, he seemed to be involved in the best of the Welsh attacks. But, yes, he is squeezed out of an England side. He's lucky he can look elsewhere. Unfortunately, it means we loose him.

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

BlackheathSarrie 07 March, 2020 23:25
I'd have him over Manu based on todays game but at his very best Manu is unstoppable.

Very disappointed that (via Sanderson) we hear part of the reason for Tompkins decision to play for Wales is England had informed him he was too small.

Neville 08 March, 2020 00:26
If that's so, its crass. Nick is as strong as a horse!

Eric Browett 08 March, 2020 07:47
He was the best centre on the park yesterday.

samgibbo 08 March, 2020 07:57
There was no competition between Tompkins and Parkes. You canít compare Nick to Manu IMO. Theyíre completely different players but both very capable of game changing influences on a match.

The Bard 08 March, 2020 08:41
Nick had an excellent game yesterday, possibly Wales best player along with Navidi.
It helped that George North seemed a bit more awake!
Parkes has gone backwards in this tournament in my view

Coughie 08 March, 2020 09:00
Even you'd look good at 12 with Jon Davies at 13 outside you...

~ You never knowingly let the facts get in the way of the story. ~

Field marshall 08 March, 2020 12:32
I'm a Tompkins fan but lets be real, Manu was, and is considerably better than Tompkins will ever be. That's a fact.

Sarriebone 08 March, 2020 12:35
They're very different players. Manu is a bowling ball, Nick is much more agile they play very different rugby. Plus it's only Nick's 4th international cap, he's still got plenty of time to grow in to test rugby. He was one of Wales' standout players yesterday.

TonyTaff 08 March, 2020 17:19
Nick is great going forward, but his defence falls short in internationals.

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication.

(*) As at October 31, 2018.

#wolfpack 09 March, 2020 09:10
Quote:
TonyTaff
Nick is great going forward, but his defence falls short in internationals.

I wouldn't be sure about that.

I think he needs to move to 12 because I do think there is a danger of him being caught on the outside, but at 12 I think his defence will be sound. I always go back to the game at AzP a few years back where he played at 12 for us against Nonu and Basteraud and they got no change at all from him.

beshocked 09 March, 2020 11:16
Yes Tompkins has made quite a few defensive errors in the tournament but that could be put down to a lack of experience.

I thought Tompkins did incredibly well for Wales on Saturday as he was only of the few Wales players making good gains.

Sometimes you learn more about a player when they are on the backfoot than going forward.

The England backs had a comparative armchair ride because of the physicality of the England forwards.

This is the issue a lot of the time with English backs, they look very good when the pack is on top.

When the going gets tough is when the pressure is on. England had crumbled a bit too easily.

Youngs had one of his best matches in years but the English pack was in control for most of the match.

Eric Browett 09 March, 2020 12:34
He's been bounced a couple of times in tackling but that happens to virtually any back. The try conceded against Ireland (scored by 15, my brain has gone walkabout for name) was more down to team defensive alignment than anything else and it just appeared to be down to Nick. I think he's had a really solid tournament; people think he might be weak defensively because he's small.

Sarriebone 09 March, 2020 12:36
He can't be that bad, he got picked ahead of Tuilagi in RugbyPass' team of the round at 13...

JL904 09 March, 2020 13:09
Quote:
Sarriebone
He can't be that bad, he got picked ahead of Tuilagi in RugbyPass' team of the round at 13...

He's certainly not that bad, SB - but has to be said the XV of the round simply can't include a player sent off (harshly or otherwise depending on alegiance, I suspect). Manu T may well have made it otherwise - he had a good game.

BlackheathSarrie 09 March, 2020 15:54
Quote:
Field marshall
I'm a Tompkins fan but lets be real, Manu was, and is considerably better than Tompkins will ever be. That's a fact.

I mean it's not but whatever makes you happy.

AP 09 March, 2020 20:04
Quote:
BlackheathSarrie
Quote:
Field marshall

Manu's the player of the season, don't see Tompkins playing ten for us. Best of the Vunipolae.

Am I on the right thread?

tpr's headmistress 09 March, 2020 20:11
AP, are you being deliberately obtuse or am I having a sense of humour bypass?(Sm124)

Sarriebone 09 March, 2020 20:22
Quote:
AP
Quote:
BlackheathSarrie
Quote:
Field marshall

Manu's the player of the season, don't see Tompkins playing ten for us. Best of the Vunipolae.

Am I on the right thread?
The subject we're discussing is Manu Tuilagi, not Vunipola

TAD1971 10 March, 2020 01:59
Well thatís gone down like a lead balloon AP haha

AP 10 March, 2020 09:42
OK, it wasn't a great attempt at humour (more grate than great) but the serious point is that Manu V has been a standout player for us this season and certainly one I would hope we are working hard to keep.

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net