Latest news:
New Page 1

Welcome to The Saracens. Our message board is primarily a place for Saracens fans to discuss our club. We welcome posters from other clubs as long as their posts are respectful and not repetitive and our guidelines are followed. To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE,
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
LOCKDOWN!

Latest: SARACENS 23:14 LEICESTER TIGERS
Next: God only knows!

Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: tbc

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Maro to Racing, PRL to Perdition
Discussion started by mrangry , 13 March, 2020 21:51
Maro to Racing, PRL to Perdition
mrangry 13 March, 2020 21:51
Surprised no one has commented on this yet, but apparently Maro has been offered a 7 figure sum to play for Racing on loan for a season. Yoda and the dimwits at HQ are in favour, but PRL are blocking it on the grounds no English player based abroad can be picked except in exceptional circumstances. But he wouldn't be based abroad, as he would only be on loan , and PRL probably think 7 figure sum is X guineas, Y shillings Z pence and 3 farthings

Re: Maro to Racing, PRL to Perdition
tpr's headmistress 13 March, 2020 21:57
It's under Player Rumours, Mr Angry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/03/2020 21:57 by tpr's headmistress.

JL904 13 March, 2020 22:10
It's from the Graun, TPRH so likely to be more than just rumour to my mind.

mrangry 13 March, 2020 22:17
Sorry, didn't finish properly suffering from usual Friday night alcohol problem. Meant to say that PRL are trying to tell RFU what they want, not allowing proper development of situation . Also are PRL trying to drive players away from Sarries by making sure that they tell RFU who England can and cannot pick, regardless of who they are on loan to. Hence, to perdition with PRL, and their old fashioned ideas, they do not tell RFU what to do... or do they?

tpr's headmistress 13 March, 2020 22:27
We'll see what happens in the coming weeks. Conspiracy theories will be to the fore.

Duncan96 14 March, 2020 10:55
What an interesting situation. I can see that this is not “exceptional” circumstances. But it’s also obvious that the PRL will do nothing to help Saracens retain squad members and, indeed, will do anything to be obstructive in that regard.

But, anyone else think that there’s a high chance that England (but not the Lions) are about to lose their top two locks for a year?

TonyTaff 14 March, 2020 12:35
Racing would quite like Maro not to turnout for England in return for €1m!

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication.

(*) As at October 31, 2018.

The Bard 14 March, 2020 12:50
Interesting then that the enforced relegation of the European and domestic champions isn’t considered exceptional circumstances!
Not aware of it happening too often before!

BlackheathSarrie 14 March, 2020 17:46
I'm in the horrible position of actually agreeing with PRL. I don't think this is "exceptional circumstances" that would be Englands first six selected locks get injured together trying to rescue a cats homes worth of kittens out of a tree not a player deciding to go for a big pay day and effectively have his cake and eat it.

If he wants to play for Racing and cash in then good luck to him but it's quite right IMO that that takes him out of contention to play for England. Alternatively if the money is what matters ask to be released from his Saracens contract and find a club like Sale or even Wasps who can afford to keep his £1M aspirations in cap for a season or two.

The young players have shown the way re loyalty and paying back the clubs faith and time in them. If the money is what it's about for the bigger names I'd rather have rid sooner than later. No player is bigger than the club or at least they shouldn't be.

Roger G 14 March, 2020 18:02
Quote:
BlackheathSarrie
I'm in the horrible position of actually agreeing with PRL. I don't think this is "exceptional circumstances" that would be Englands first six selected locks get injured together trying to rescue a cats homes worth of kittens out of a tree not a player deciding to go for a big pay day and effectively have his cake and eat it.
If he wants to play for Racing and cash in then good luck to him but it's quite right IMO that that takes him out of contention to play for England. Alternatively if the money is what matters ask to be released from his Saracens contract and find a club like Sale or even Wasps who can afford to keep his £1M aspirations in cap for a season or two.

The young players have shown the way re loyalty and paying back the clubs faith and time in them. If the money is what it's about for the bigger names I'd rather have rid sooner than later. No player is bigger than the club or at least they shouldn't be.

Lots of assumptions about why the Racing deal might be on the table, and about Maro's aspirations and preferences. It could be, for example, that no GP club wants to take him on for either financial and/or ethical reasons, which is their right. Maro is, without doubt, a world class player in a sport with a short and unpredictable career path (just look at how many pros are forced to retire early through injury), and it's not unreasonable for him to look to continue to play at the highest level while he can. I presume he is still contracted to Sarries so will probably not be losing his income next season whatever happens. IMHO it is churlish of the other PRL chairmen to block his loan, especially if Eddie and the RFU are cool with it.

I suspect Maro is as loyal to Sarries as any of the youngsters, and if other options fall through or are blocked, I wouldn't be surprised to see him happilly turning out for Sarries and England next season.

BlackheathSarrie 14 March, 2020 18:20
Quote:
Roger G
IMHO it is churlish of the other PRL chairmen to block his loan, especially if Eddie and the RFU are cool with it.

The point of the agreement is that is two party ie PRL and the RFU therefor Jones and the RFU being "cool" with it is largely immaterial. This is an agreement we entered along with the other clubs precisely because it protects our players. I'm not seeing any legitimate reason that this is extenuating circumstances as I understand it.

Roger G 14 March, 2020 18:30
Quote:
BlackheathSarrie
Quote:
Roger G
IMHO it is churlish of the other PRL chairmen to block his loan, especially if Eddie and the RFU are cool with it.

The point of the agreement is that is two party ie PRL and the RFU therefor Jones and the RFU being "cool" with it is largely immaterial. This is an agreement we entered along with the other clubs precisely because it protects our players. I'm not seeing any legitimate reason that this is extenuating circumstances as I understand it.

Fair enough. I just feel that if we had been relegated for the normal reasons then one or other of our PRL competitiors would have foudn space for Maro.

BlackheathSarrie 14 March, 2020 18:57
Could well be Roger.

Marlow Nick 15 March, 2020 07:17
Quote:
Roger G
Quote:
BlackheathSarrie
Quote:
Roger G

Fair enough. I just feel that if we had been relegated for the normal reasons then one or other of our PRL competitiors would have foudn space for Maro.

Roger
I think you're mixing two different questions here.

Should clubs agree to one year loans similar to Wilson from Newcastle? Clearly Bristol are OK with doing this with Saracens and there's nothing any other club could or should do to block it. Itoje can go on loan to Racing. Personally I think these loans should be banned but it appears under current rules they are allowed and no one could or should block that.

Should players outside EPL still be eligible for international call up? Well the agreement says no and I fail to see why Maro deserves special treatment compared to other players who had the difficult choice to make. Stick to the agreed policy.

The headlines in the press about PRL blocking Maro from playing for Racing are inaccurate. It's just an either or choice that has to be made. For the last several years it appears Saracens' management thought they could ignore rules that didn't suit their ambition. Living in a world of And rather than OR. There will be very little sympathy for a request to bend the rules now.

AP 15 March, 2020 09:18
It;s PRL "blocking the loan" only in the sense that the agreement with the RFU would prevent him playing for England and they see no reason to depart from it. Given that he wouldn't be playing in the Premiership if he didn't go to Racing, you could argue that letting him play for England while at Racing wouldn't undermine the agreement, but it's a bit like pleading for mercy after you've killed your parents on the ground that you are now an orphan.

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

Dolph42 15 March, 2020 09:43
Shields, Underhill and Francis were all selected for England while playing outside the PRL, Shields even returned to play in NZ following his debut. Itoje would be in the situation of choosing to play outside the PRL (different from those three examples), while being contractually obliged to join in the future (the same as those three), he could also write into the Racing agreement that he is treated like a PRL player with enhanced player release. It is a unique situation without precedent.

Ultimately he should do what is best for him, and only he knows what that is. What is great for Saracens is that none of our high profile players and most of our emerging talent (particularly the English ones) don't see other English clubs as permanent homes. That speaks tremendously for the culture of the club.

TonyTaff 15 March, 2020 13:45
I very much doubt that Racing would want him playing for England, let alone available for extended release.

They may however wish to buy a share in his image rights!

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication.

(*) As at October 31, 2018.

wolfgangvonb77 15 March, 2020 19:39
Good to see MN coming here to support Saracens as usual lol.

beshocked 16 March, 2020 12:15
Quote:
Dolph42
Shields, Underhill and Francis were all selected for England while playing outside the PRL, Shields even returned to play in NZ following his debut. Itoje would be in the situation of choosing to play outside the PRL (different from those three examples), while being contractually obliged to join in the future (the same as those three), he could also write into the Racing agreement that he is treated like a PRL player with enhanced player release. It is a unique situation without precedent.
Ultimately he should do what is best for him, and only he knows what that is. What is great for Saracens is that none of our high profile players and most of our emerging talent (particularly the English ones) don't see other English clubs as permanent homes. That speaks tremendously for the culture of the club.

It speaks tremendously of how well Saracens treat the players yes. Sarries players get treated the best in the league of course they want to stay. Wouldn't you?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net