Latest news:
New Page 1

Welcome to The Saracens. Our message board is primarily a place for Saracens fans to discuss our club. We welcome posters from other clubs as long as their posts are respectful and not repetitive and our guidelines are followed. To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE,
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
LOCKDOWN!

Latest: SARACENS 23:14 LEICESTER TIGERS
Next: God only knows!

Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: tbc

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

If you were in charge, what would you do?
Discussion started by boomer! , 16 March, 2020 13:25
If you were in charge, what would you do?
boomer! 16 March, 2020 13:25
My go first.....

On the basis that the Premiership semi finals and Grand Final are scheduled three months away, this season may not need to be terminated just truncated.

So my suggestion is to void all remaining league fixtures of the premiership and just play the playoffs but add in a quarter final round so clubs that thought they were in with a shout (5 to 8) are not disenfranchised.
The QF seedings would be determined on the usual 1 vs 8, 2vs 7 etc

QFs to be played on 6/7th June (instead of round #22).

QF1: Exeter vs Irish
QF2: Sale vs Quins
QF3: Briz vs Bath
QF4: Saints vs Wasps

Semi finals to be played on 12/13 June

Matchups would be determined by the final league standing (seedings), with the two highest seedings having home field advantage and where the highest ranked of the four qualifiers plays the lowest ranked and 2nd ranked of the qualifiers plays the second t lowest.

Grand Final 20th June

Probably would not suit Glaws but in all honestly who really thinks they are in with a shout this season?

NB:- By truncating the domestic seasons, EPRC could reschedule its QF and SF for the weekends of 9th May and 16th May respectively and thus still preserve their Grand Final on 23rd May.....

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 16/03/2020 14:30 by boomer!.

Re: If you were in charge, what would you do?
Chops3 16 March, 2020 14:22
However, not very fair on those in 9th to 12th - so how about 1st v 12th, 2nd v 11th ...........!!!!!!!!! OK, I'll get my coat.

Seriously, what you're proposing seems very sensible and hard to argue against. Gloucester in 9th can hardly be upset as you have already added 4th to 8th to appease clubs near the play off places. As it is fair and reasonable it will not be adopted by PRL!

I'm not sure things will have settled down by 9th May so the Euro games may need to be postponed to last weekend in June and first in July.

mrangry 16 March, 2020 14:43
What I would do would no doubt shock and horrify some supporters of this club let alone others. My evil schemes have been pondered over for years, debated and altered. The only one I think would not upset the majority- Basically scrap the lot and go back to being amateurs, then nobody can complain. European competitions? Keep them for Johny Foreigner. Back to basics, back to Bramley Road

Innings 16 March, 2020 16:23
Go back to amateur? At least the RFU executive and committee would accept that, they've been amateurs for years.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

myleftboot 17 March, 2020 07:19
So, is this back to the old days really just a ruse to get hair on the top of your head again mrangry? You can tell us, this is your safe space!

#wolfpack 17 March, 2020 08:14
Cancel the season and Saracens remain both Premiership Champions and European Champions. Broadcast the reaction of Tony Rowe and our frequent visitors to this board. We all need a laugh.

mrangry 17 March, 2020 08:17
I used to have hair until the onset of professionalism caused me to scratch my head in confusion so much it wore away

Sara'sman 19 March, 2020 17:07
Quote:
boomer!
My go first.....

QF1: Exeter vs Irish
QF2: Sale vs Quins
QF3: Briz vs Bath
QF4: Saints vs Wasps

Semi finals to be played on 12/13 June

Matchups would be determined by the final league standing (seedings), with the two highest seedings having home field advantage and where the highest ranked of the four qualifiers plays the lowest ranked and 2nd ranked of the qualifiers plays the second t lowest.

Grand Final 20th June

I mused on the following when boomer! first posted but since the Sanctimonials have come up with something similar - why not an extra Round of 8 (to give the likes of Tigers et al a fair chance of course!):

5 (Wasps) v 12 (Sarries) (A)
6 (Bath) v 11 (Leicester) ( B )
7 (Quins) v 10 (Worcester) (C)
8 (Irish) v 9 (Gloucester) (D) then

QF1: Exeter vs D
QF2: Sale vs C
QF3: Briz vs B
QF4: Saints vs A

SF 1 v 4
SF 2 v 3

The opposition en route to a possible final could not be friendlier - Roger can I borrow your tin hat please?

AP 19 March, 2020 20:38
"The opposition en route to a possible final could not be friendlier"

Er, wouldn't we get Exeter in the semis? Or do you mean we would be playing the two sides most hostile to us? My brian hurts!

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

JL904 19 March, 2020 21:03
That's right AP - Pests first, then Saints in QF and Exe in the semis. Three grudge matches.

tpr's headmistress 19 March, 2020 22:43
My brian hurts!

Better see the doctor, AP.(Sm124)

McSaracens 20 March, 2020 08:17
If I was in charge I would call the season off. I dont believe its realistic to expect any games to take place until July at the earliest.

Saracens relegated
No champion

Season starts again in September.

I believe it might have been said before, but there is something special happening at Saracens, and I want to be part of it. - Nils Mordt

Chops3 20 March, 2020 08:55
and all the Champions Cup qualifiers from last season get to have another go next season!!!![:wor kid:]

Surbiton Sarries 20 March, 2020 10:55
Season over for all Rugby below the Premiership

EDIT followed by Welsh Rugby

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/03/2020 17:49 by Surbiton Sarries.

Surbiton Sarries 23 March, 2020 10:58
Ealing consuidering legal action if Newcastle are promoted:

[www.bbc.co.uk]

AlanE 23 March, 2020 13:34
Quote:
Surbiton Sarries
Ealing consuidering legal action if Newcastle are promoted:
[www.bbc.co.uk]

Dean Richards is not happy

I was 17 miles from Graybridge before I was caught by the school leopard

wolfgangvonb77 23 March, 2020 14:04
I would like to see a final and it would be funny if Exeter didnt win it, that would shut Tony Rowe up lol. I would think Sale would give them a run for their money!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net