Latest news:
New Page 1

Welcome to The Saracens. Our message board is primarily a place for Saracens fans to discuss our club. We welcome posters from other clubs as long as their posts are respectful and not repetitive and our guidelines are followed. To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE,
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
LOCKDOWN!

Latest: SARACENS 23:14 LEICESTER TIGERS
Next: God only knows!

Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: tbc

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Covid - 19 consequences not all bad!
Discussion started by Sorry Sarrie , 19 March, 2020 07:18
Covid - 19 consequences not all bad!
Sorry Sarrie 19 March, 2020 07:18
Obviously speculation but in these days of no rugby on TV a thought provoking piece.

[www.rugbypass.com]

My wife and I are on the verge of splitting up because of my obsession with rugby.
I've decided to give it one last try......

Re: Covid - 19 consequences not all bad!
Roger G 19 March, 2020 08:54
Hard hats on......

daz_71 19 March, 2020 09:25
To be honest I think hard hats should be on. I know gallows humour helps a lot of people but I genuinely don't think now is the time to be even talking about rugby. When it comes to life and death who realistically gives a flying monkeys whether Saracens are relegated or not.

Duncan96 19 March, 2020 10:12
Quote:
daz_71
To be honest I think hard hats should be on. I know gallows humour helps a lot of people but I genuinely don't think now is the time to be even talking about rugby. When it comes to life and death who realistically gives a flying monkeys whether Saracens are relegated or not.

Mmmm. Interesting thought. So everything outside of Coronavirus issues comes to a halt while we all sit at home and only consider the virus and it's effects?

Or we talk about anything we want to because life goes on and will resume at some point with consequences?

My vote is that even in serious and tragic times life goes on and people can talk about what they want to. (For what its worth I think come hell or high water the PRL will make sure the season is concluded so that crucial TV money is preserved to reduce the risk of clubs going bust. The chances of a club going bust and so Saracens taking their place and avoiding relegation are therefore remote. I have no idea really though and in the meantime the speculation makes a change from watching the news about the spread of the virus in my home prison).

AlanE 19 March, 2020 13:00
Quote:
Duncan96
Quote:
daz_71

Mmmm. Interesting thought. So everything outside of Coronavirus issues comes to a halt while we all sit at home and only consider the virus and it's effects?

Or we talk about anything we want to because life goes on and will resume at some point with consequences?

My vote is that even in serious and tragic times life goes on and people can talk about what they want to. (For what its worth I think come hell or high water the PRL will make sure the season is concluded so that crucial TV money is preserved to reduce the risk of clubs going bust. The chances of a club going bust and so Saracens taking their place and avoiding relegation are therefore remote. I have no idea really though and in the meantime the speculation makes a change from watching the news about the spread of the virus in my home prison).

Quite - it's a dangerous position to take for one's sanity that all there is to life at present is the virus. I have watched too much about this on TV recently and have decided that all I am going to watch from yesterday onwards is the daily press conference where the government announce what they are going to do next (whether I agree with it or think they are idiots, it is actually what is going to affect us.) The rest is, largely, self-opinionated people giving their noisy views which I would rather not hear. Where there is someone worth listening to, it takes a huge amount of time to filter it out of the noise.

I will agree with Daz that the deaths are sad, and serious, but there is nothing I can do to change those facts.

So outside that I am going to get on with other stuff which I enjoy, and a small part of that will be thinking about Sarries.

I was 17 miles from Graybridge before I was caught by the school leopard

Primavesi2 19 March, 2020 13:24
Personally I would prefer that we were relegated as I see that as the only way of drawing a line under the affair and moving on.

No problem with trying to find moments of levity in times like these though.

Duncan96 19 March, 2020 14:23
Quote:
Primavesi2
Personally I would prefer that we were relegated as I see that as the only way of drawing a line under the affair and moving on.

I know what you mean but if I were running the club and looking at the extremely damaging effect on finances caused by relegation with the resultant threat to the new stand, training ground and squad I think I'd have a different view. Avoiding relegation is very unlikely though so largely acedemic.

NickL 19 March, 2020 15:28
Quote:
Primavesi2

I agree. If due to the current situation relegation was scrapped, we can be fairly certain that the other clubs would ensure the points deduction is carried over, leading to a further year of meaningless fixtures, more players leaving and a bigger risk of financial collapse. And it's not really fair on Newcastle either (and yes, I know Ealing, Pirates, Cov or Ampthill could still mathematically win the Championship, but that was highly unlikely). Take the punishment, go down, come back with a squad that's clearly within the rules and start writing a new chapter of memories.

Monkey1 19 March, 2020 19:59
Quote:
AlanE
Quite - it's a dangerous position to take for one's sanity that all there is to life at present is the virus. I have watched too much about this on TV recently and have decided that all I am going to watch from yesterday onwards is the daily press conference where the government announce what they are going to do next (whether I agree with it or think they are idiots, it is actually what is going to affect us.) The rest is, largely, self-opinionated people giving their noisy views which I would rather not hear. Where there is someone worth listening to, it takes a huge amount of time to filter it out of the noise.

I will agree with Daz that the deaths are sad, and serious, but there is nothing I can do to change those facts.

I vote for Alan as the voice of reason to speak for the nation. Many would do well to adopt his attitude. If you make it up to Kingston Park for a future game sir, make yourself known & I will buy you a pint.
(Sm128)

Convex Hull 20 March, 2020 05:59
Someone suggested that we just look at the WHO situational reports in order to get some perspective.

Daily situational report 59 , for the 19th March, reported 828 deaths worldwide out of a population of 7.7 Bn. Most of those occurred in Lombardy using a metric that attributes any, and all, deaths within a hospital to the Corona virus.

The great majority of countries reported no additional deaths due to the virus.

[www.who.int]

Regardez mon visage. Suis-je bovvered?

myleftboot 20 March, 2020 06:43
No common sense here sir. I sentence you to death by toilet roll.... What did we call Corona viruses last year? Cold viruses.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/03/2020 06:44 by myleftboot.

AP 20 March, 2020 08:11
I have stopped reading The Guardian entirely and am keeping away from the comments in the online Times and my outlook on life has improved immeasurably.

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

maynas 20 March, 2020 10:11
Iíve dived into on line Bridge and a pint or 2 each evening. Thousands stuck at home are playing on line. I had a 4 with people in Italy, Israel and India the other day. Forget TV nothing on

boomer! 20 March, 2020 10:23
Regrettable as it is (and irrespective of whether I think we have been right, royally shafted by certain club owners) there is no justifiable reason Sarries should not take their punishment.

Any ducking and diving to keep Sarries up will be followed by howls of derision from the rest of the league and in particular from Ropey Stowe.

Saracens need to distance themselves from any of this media speculation.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/03/2020 12:39 by boomer!.

TOKS 20 March, 2020 12:31
Indeed, Boomer. If you look at the time and effort three clubs went to in order to rid themselves of their nemesis, meekly followed by their ovine-like fellow chairmen and wonderfully naive new PRL boss, they are not going to let a mere pandemic get in the way of their plan.

TOKS 20 March, 2020 12:35
Quote:
maynas
Iíve dived into on line Bridge and a pint or 2 each evening. Thousands stuck at home are playing on line. I had a 4 with people in Italy, Israel and India the other day. Forget TV nothing on

Love this joke...

S*x is like bridge - if you haven't got a good partner you'd better have a good hand.

PhillFez 20 March, 2020 13:39
So after a disastrous eveningís bridge by a husband and wife partnership the husband went off to the loo. The wife exclaimed ďat last I know what heís got in his hand!

Wayoutwest 20 March, 2020 14:38
The Rugbypass article misses another issue with Saracens relegation and the potential termination of the season.

In that the second points deduction was, I believe due to us not willing to open our books to prove we were under the cap this season AND hand our trophies back. The club were never going to agree to that unless all clubs were asked to comply. They weren't so we took relegation.

If this season was declared over, no trophies, winners or losers, in effect null and void, all results cancelled, as if there never was a season, then how can we be over the cap this year if there weren't any games played to be over the cap?

Worth discussing on here I think.

boomer! 20 March, 2020 16:22
Quote:
Wayoutwest
The Rugbypass article misses another issue with Saracens relegation and the potential termination of the season.
In that the second points deduction was, I believe due to us not willing to open our books to prove we were under the cap this season AND hand our trophies back. The club were never going to agree to that unless all clubs were asked to comply. They weren't so we took relegation.

If this season was declared over, no trophies, winners or losers, in effect null and void, all results cancelled, as if there never was a season, then how can we be over the cap this year if there weren't any games played to be over the cap?

Worth discussing on here I think.

Oh Lordy, nothing like giving the hornets nest a good whack. (Sm100)

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

big chopper 20 March, 2020 23:42
Chiefs fan in peace.....

Iíve always had a damn good laugh with a lot of you guys at your place. And more times than not come back to sunny Devon with not many points to show for it over the years!

But rugby is not important at the minute. Stay and safe well guys. We will meet again

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net