Latest news:
New Page 1

Welcome to The Saracens. Our message board is primarily a place for Saracens fans to discuss our club. We welcome posters from other clubs as long as their posts are respectful and not repetitive and our guidelines are followed. To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE,
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
LOCKDOWN!

Latest: SARACENS 23:14 LEICESTER TIGERS
Next: God only knows!

Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: tbc

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Australian NRL
Discussion started by Innings , 22 March, 2020 14:42
Australian NRL
Innings 22 March, 2020 14:42
Plans to continue playing despite government advice similar to that in UK. Of course sport is far more important than the well-being of others in many countries.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

Re: Australian NRL
Sorry Sarrie 22 March, 2020 18:56
Totally insane and the Aussie PM stating that he'd go to a rugby game - then had to u-turn. Also the American youth in Miami partying because it's more important. Let's see where we are in 3 weeks time - hopefully not like Italy or Spain. Stay safe people and let's look forward to the other side of this.

maynas 22 March, 2020 19:10
People all over Our town this weekend ignoring need to stay home. So selfish. This things is going to Ex and exponentially now. Even reported people on social media organizing big play groups at their houses. Mad

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/03/2020 19:11 by maynas.

Innings 22 March, 2020 22:58
Quite incredible. A survey by ORB this weekend says 25% of UK 18-25 cohort think the C/v threat is exaggerated, 20% of 26-35 cohort think the same. Will they change their perceptions when their own friends and family fall ill? No surprise that the inner London population are the least inclined to act as advised, even though population density indicates that they're the most at risk. The survey also notes that we have the lowest %age in Europe of all age groups saying the government isn't doing enough, and the highest saying things will get worse. It suggests that they intend to carry on undeterred unti lforced to change.

Innings

Innings 22 March, 2020 23:03
And there's absolutely every reason to think that the UK development trajectory is exactly the same as in Italy, uncannily so.

If so, within the next fortnight we can expect to total death toll to have risen from under 300 to 5,500, with the daily rate doubling ever three or four days.

Innings

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/03/2020 23:05 by Innings.

myleftboot 22 March, 2020 23:11
Sorry, innings, I can see your concern. I am a telecoms engineer, I enter anything up to 5 homes a day. I wipe everything I touch, I only enter homes under certain circumstances. The government has done too much. Today, whilst restoring Internet service to a vulnerable customer 3 km from the nearest dslam I struggled to find somewhere to provide me with basic provisions, I have been working 6 days a week since Ciara, and haven't been able to keep myself provided with provisions necessary. Shutting the country down has only slowed the progress of a common cold virus, yet made life pretty untenable for those of us working to keep things ticking over. The CV threat IS exaggerated. Many of us cannot and will not take those'necessary steps because we are working too hard allowing you to sit on your sofa, drinking red wine watching Netflix on tinternet.

Sorry Sarrie 23 March, 2020 06:36
Quote:
myleftboot
Sorry, innings, I can see your concern. I am a telecoms engineer, I enter anything up to 5 homes a day. I wipe everything I touch, I only enter homes under certain circumstances. The government has done too much. Today, whilst restoring Internet service to a vulnerable customer 3 km from the nearest dslam I struggled to find somewhere to provide me with basic provisions, I have been working 6 days a week since Ciara, and haven't been able to keep myself provided with provisions necessary. Shutting the country down has only slowed the progress of a common cold virus, yet made life pretty untenable for those of us working to keep things ticking over. The CV threat IS exaggerated. Many of us cannot and will not take those'necessary steps because we are working too hard allowing you to sit on your sofa, drinking red wine watching Netflix on tinternet.

So it's a disgrace that key workers cannot get provisions to properly feed themselves because the "me first" brigade are stripping the shelves, this makes me sick. There should be wider use of purchasing limits and preferred store access for these people. But MLB I think you are wrong about the severity of this virus. But let's say you're not - is it worth the gamble as we sit and watch Italy and Spain and who knows next, witness exponential mortality rates. Sure you can just let it take it's course build a bulk immunity and move on but millions will die - maybe that's ok with you? Then there's a possible second strain but more virulent....

My wife and I are on the verge of splitting up because of my obsession with rugby.
I've decided to give it one last try......

paulglynn 23 March, 2020 07:13
For anyone of a certain era, sing along to the words below. It'll make you smile. 😊

Struggling a bit today but this made me laugh 😂

At 1st I was afraid, I was petrified,
There was no loo roll down at Aldi and I nearly cried.
Oh I spent so many nights just thinking how you did me wrong,
I used to wipe,
And now Iím forced to just drip dry !

No anti-bac !
No bloody soap,
and if you think youíre buying pasta well youíve got no bloody hope !
I would have bought that box of eggs, I would have rationed out my bread,
If Iíd have known for just one second everyone would lose their head !

Go on now go, walk out the door !
All you bloody stockpilers,
You are not welcome any more !
Werenít you the ones who just bought all the sodding beans ?
You selfish gits !
I hope you spill them down your jeans !

Oh no not I, I wonít panic buy!
Oh as long as I have alcohol, I know Iíll stay alive,
Though I canít buy my usual cheese,
This will not bring me to my knees
And Iíll survive, I will survive, hey, hey !

It took all the strength I had not to fall apart,
There was just apples and 1 carrot in my shopping cart,
And I spent hours walking round just feeling sorry for myself,
The empty store, with boxes strewn across the floor

And youíll see me, somebody who,
Cannot buy anything she came for, and itís all down to fecking you
And frickin Reg from down the road is such a selfish blimmin git
Because he stockpiled all the loo roll so nobody else can have a s@*t !

Go on now go, walk out the door !
All you bloody stockpilers,
You are not welcome any more!
Werenít you ones who just bought all the sodding cakes
Canít you make a crumble,
Do you people not know how to bake ?

Oh no not I, I wonít panic buy !
Oh as long as I have alcohol, I know Iíll stay alive,
Though I canít buy my usual cheese
This will not bring me to my knees
And Iíll survive, I will survive !

Surbiton Sarries 23 March, 2020 09:27
They've got the message - suspended until 1 May

Innings 23 March, 2020 10:34
Quote:
myleftboot

This is not a common cold virus. It is a variant of a group of coronaviruses that have their own pathology, not related to the common cold. If you need a comparison with other diseases, you need to look at other coronavirus family members. These include ebola and green monkey fever, with the difference that Covid-19 is much better able than other family members to distribute itself into host species. When comparing different coronavirus family diseases, there seems to be a trade-off between efficient distribution and mortality rate, with Covid-19 being more efficient but less effective as a killer. Nonetheless, think of ebola and green monkey fever when asking whether government advice is too restrictive.

Innings

The Bard 23 March, 2020 12:58
I think what has been missing is a proper context. This is indeed horrendous, but 50 million die in the world every year and 600 000 in countries the size of the uk. Thatís roughly 2000 per day, so we are still nowhere near those numbers. It is the number needing intensive care that I suspect is the bigger problem to cope with.

Innings 23 March, 2020 23:05
The Italian government statistics are that of the 13,509 c/v patients whose cases are now closed, 55% have been discharged cured and 45% have been killed. 50,000 cases remain open. And Italy was generally reckoned to have a best-in-class health system, until it was utterly overwhelmed..

As the death aggregate is doubling every three days, in Italy and here, I'd say that the context is that this is a crisis that will prove to change the whole thought process of what matters in the world, medically, societally and economically.

Innings

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net