Latest news:
New Page 1

Welcome to The Saracens. Our message board is primarily a place for Saracens fans to discuss our club. We welcome posters from other clubs as long as their posts are respectful and not repetitive and our guidelines are followed. To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE,
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
LOCKDOWN!

Latest: SARACENS 23:14 LEICESTER TIGERS
Next: God only knows!

Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: tbc

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

EDITORIAL
Discussion started by Darraghgirl , 23 March, 2020 13:58
EDITORIAL
Darraghgirl 23 March, 2020 13:58
During these strange times in which we find ourselves, if anyone has an article about anything really that they think might be of interest, please let me know and I'll post.
Meanwhile I'll continue with reports of games from long ago...….

Re: EDITORIAL
Innings 02 April, 2020 23:12
Clearly, at least to my thinking, rugby in general is a loss-making industry everywhere, held afloat by the 6N and RWC. Everything else, including theSH international championship, loses money. If that is so, then this current crisis is bound to force change, and probably on a greater scale than is being thought about at present. In what form will the pro game find itself at the other end? Even ring-fencing won't get PRL out of this one, the overall losses are to large to allow anything remotley like the present structure to prosper in future.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

Duncan96 03 April, 2020 09:02
Quote:
Innings
Clearly, at least to my thinking, rugby in general is a loss-making industry everywhere, held afloat by the 6N and RWC. Everything else, including theSH international championship, loses money. If that is so, then this current crisis is bound to force change, and probably on a greater scale than is being thought about at present. In what form will the pro game find itself at the other end? Even ring-fencing won't get PRL out of this one, the overall losses are to large to allow anything remotley like the present structure to prosper in future.

Promotion and relegation adds spice to the season and, in theory, gives hope to minnows (although in practice if you aren’t a PRL shareholder sharing equally in income you don’t stand a chance of staying in the Premiership. Exeter did it by buying Yorkshire’s shares).

On the other hand non ring fencing financially decimates one club per year ( the difference in revenue now is much greater than when Harlequins and Northampton were relegated because TV and match day income in the Prem is much greater. Therefore losing that income while having the player contracts is much harder to deal with).

To avoid relegation clubs are motivated to spend more on wages (especially on non England qualified players). And it is wages which make the current structure unsustainable.

Say what you like in favour of relegation (and I do see the pluses) removing it is vital if clubs are to be financially viable. The only alternative is to have the likes of Nigel Wray continue to subsidise our seats.

Roger G 03 April, 2020 11:12
Quote:
Innings

I agree with your thinking Innings, and have been pondering the same recently but couldn't find the right thread to post on (not sure this is either but since you've posted I feel more comfortable responding).

I don't think anybody can predict how long it will be before team sport gets going again - I will not use the term "back to normal" because that may never happen - and which clubs will still be in business when that time comes. So I seriously doubt if the premiership as we know it will re-appear in exactly the same form. Other options that I think might be on the table are central contracts, with non-internationals on much lower wages, regional teams (hate the idea but it might happen), maybe the long predicted European super league, or possibly even some club based league structure to span the world (SH rugby must be in an equally parlous state I imagine).
I've been thinking recently that the rugby structure

Darraghgirl 03 April, 2020 17:00
Thanks guys but not sure what all this has to do with the original thread!!!!!!!

Duncan96 03 April, 2020 20:45
Quote:
Darraghgirl
Thanks guys but not sure what all this has to do with the original thread!!!!!!!

No harm in going where the mood takes you! It is a bit like Sky Sports News though. Now there’s a channel with people looking desperately for something to talk about!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net