Latest news:
New Page 1

Welcome to The Saracens. Our message board is primarily a place for Saracens fans to discuss our club. We welcome posters from other clubs as long as their posts are respectful and not repetitive and our guidelines are followed. To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE,
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
LOCKDOWN!

Latest: SARACENS 23:14 LEICESTER TIGERS
Next: God only knows!

Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: tbc

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Falcons in immediate crisis
Discussion started by Innings , 26 March, 2020 23:01
Falcons in immediate crisis
Innings 26 March, 2020 23:01
As is now common knowledge, Falcons have gone further and placed all paid staff, on- or off-field on furlough. The Guardian seems to have covered the story pretty well - words that I never imagined writing.

[www.theguardian.com]

This may not be the last such story. If clubs cannot pay, or cannot trade whilst solvent, a legal requirement for staying in business, then the professional game will not be able to pay, regardless of however many lawyers say their players are contractually entitled to the money.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/03/2020 23:02 by Innings.

Re: Falcons in immediate crisis
myleftboot 28 March, 2020 04:17
It's incredibly difficult. Cutting wages to zero seems a rather poor response, they have a duty of care, especially to those brought from overseas.

PhillFez 28 March, 2020 08:44
Difficult times all round, not least with a legal challenge from Ealing against automatic promotion for Falcons. I do find it irritating that Dean Richards described the challenge as “distasteful”, I wonder what he thinks the rugby fraternity thought of his actions at Quins - much more than distasteful!

Innings 28 March, 2020 09:23
The fact that Falcons have had to cut the wage bill overnight to zero hints at all sorts of possibilities, and not having any actual knowledge, my mind turns to two:

1/. There is no money.

2/. There is some money but not enough to get them as far as the 20-21 season's beginning if any is going on wages.

When this is all done, I like to think that those who treat their staff like expendable commodities will find that one cost will be that they have to pay a premium to attract people to work for them, especially any who were affected by this situation. But, perhaps the club will be playing in 9th tier rugby anyway, having gone broke and re-formed, so salaries won't be an issue for about ten seasons, if ever.

The folks in Newcastle must scratch their heads, first the egregious MIke Ashley, now this.

Innings

CharlieDog 28 March, 2020 12:40
Quote:
myleftboot
It's incredibly difficult. Cutting wages to zero seems a rather poor response, they have a duty of care, especially to those brought from overseas.

As a Falcon, it's worth pointing out there's a big difference between fact and fiction...... even you guys must understand that

bigfecker 28 March, 2020 15:18
Quote:
Innings
The fact that Falcons have had to cut the wage bill overnight to zero hints at all sorts of possibilities, and not having any actual knowledge, my mind turns to two:
1/. There is no money.

2/. There is some money but not enough to get them as far as the 20-21 season's beginning if any is going on wages.

When this is all done, I like to think that those who treat their staff like expendable commodities will find that one cost will be that they have to pay a premium to attract people to work for them, especially any who were affected by this situation. But, perhaps the club will be playing in 9th tier rugby anyway, having gone broke and re-formed, so salaries won't be an issue for about ten seasons, if ever.

The folks in Newcastle must scratch their heads, first the egregious MIke Ashley, now this.

Poor situation all around. If I was a Falcons player I would be asking what happened to the CVC money?

I suspect the player on loan to Sale might not want to go back to a broke club? Queue offer from Sharks.

Innings 28 March, 2020 18:25
Quote:
Queue offer from Sharks.
If Sharks are making offers, there will be a queue, because few other clubs will be. The cue will be if the offer you suggest is actually made.
Pedants of the world unite.

Innings

myleftboot 28 March, 2020 19:57
Quote:
CharlieDog

As a Falcon, it's worth pointing out there's a big difference between fact and fiction...... even you guys must understand that
Er, it seems to be fact I'm afraid. Falcons are not denying that staff have been placed on furlough, ie zero wages. Yes rugby players earn more than many of us, but from that to nothing?

1876-Fez 28 March, 2020 20:22
Quote:
myleftboot
Quote:
CharlieDog

Er, it seems to be fact I'm afraid. Falcons are not denying that staff have been placed on furlough, ie zero wages. Yes rugby players earn more than many of us, but from that to nothing?

If on furlough are they not able to claim 80% up to 2.5K?

"By doing so, this allows your employer to claim a grant of up to 80% of your wage for all employment costs, up to a cap of £2,500 per month."
BUT
"To qualify for this scheme, you should not undertake work for your employer while you are furloughed, according to gov.uk." .......so training, talking to coaches, skills training.... grey areas?

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

Innings 28 March, 2020 23:40
Careful - You know what PRL are like when it comes to grey areas!

Innings

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net