Latest news:
New Page 1

Welcome to The Saracens. Our message board is primarily a place for Saracens fans to discuss our club. We welcome posters from other clubs as long as their posts are respectful and not repetitive and our guidelines are followed. To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE,
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
LOCKDOWN!

Latest: SARACENS 23:14 LEICESTER TIGERS
Next: God only knows!

Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: tbc

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Next season
Discussion started by flavman 35 , 13 May, 2020 21:20
Next season
flavman 35 13 May, 2020 21:20
Is anyone else worried about the amount of players leaving even if on one year contracts, are we thinking next season will be a walk in the park?

I certainly am

Re: Next season
Roger G 14 May, 2020 08:02
Quote:
flavman 35
Is anyone else worried about the amount of players leaving even if on one year contracts, are we thinking next season will be a walk in the park?
I certainly am

There's a real chance that next season might be "a walk in the park".....literally!

Barty II 14 May, 2020 08:21
Maybe it's controversial, but I wouldn't want it to be a walk in the park. I'd expect to see us win most games still, but do I want to pay to see us bully teams 70-zip each week or do I want to pay to see a hard-fought win against spirited underdogs? There's definitely a feel good factor to the occasional landslide victory but every week, I'll take the latter thanks. And perhaps a title race that runs deep into the season between us and another, probably Ealing, is just what the flailing Championship needs.

Jim 55 14 May, 2020 08:42
Quote:
Barty II
Maybe it's controversial, but I wouldn't want it to be a walk in the park. I'd expect to see us win most games still, but do I want to pay to see us bully teams 70-zip each week or do I want to pay to see a hard-fought win against spirited underdogs? There's definitely a feel good factor to the occasional landslide victory but every week, I'll take the latter thanks. And perhaps a title race that runs deep into the season between us and another, probably Ealing, is just what the flailing Championship needs.

+1. And still looking forward to visiting new far flung places.

NewPotnoodlehorn 14 May, 2020 08:55
Consider this - every year the WORST team in the prem gets relegated and for the vast majority go straight back up the next year.... we are not the WORST team in the prem, with the squad we'll have we'll still have been one (if not) the best in the prem and we'll be in the championship.

We'll do just fine...

McSaracens 14 May, 2020 10:22
I agree entirely with PNH. Over the past few seasons I’ve been to see the odd Championship game, be it at Ampthill or Bedford. The drop off in quality from the Premiership is noticeable, the defences are not as water tight and the breakdown not as fiercely contested. I really would expect Sarries to romp home most weekends, especially at home. For instance I reckon that our “starting” back line most weeks would be:

Davies
Manu
Lewington
Sloan
Taylor
Segun
Hooley

Then in reserve you have the likes of Farrell, Wigglesworth (hopefully), Maitland, Barritt, Daly to play a smattering of games against the likes of Ealing etc.

Up front is the same picture, a starting lineup like:

Barrington/Adams Hale
Wolfenscroft
Clarey
Kpoku
Hunter Hill
Rhodes
Reffel
Wray

Again, Jamie George, Vincent Koch, Itoje, Mako, Billy all day in reverse to play a handful of games.

Remember, Newcastle were relegated as the bottom of the Premiership, they are unbeaten this season and cruising.

“I believe it might have been said before, but there is something special happening at Saracens, and I want to be part of it.” - Nils Mordt

Waldo 14 May, 2020 11:19
The thing that concerns me a little ( and this assumes we do come back up )is there will be much displacement of personnel as those that are away on a temporary basis will be back and that will mean losing some heads .

GazzaFez 14 May, 2020 12:00
Quote:
McSaracens

Remember, Newcastle were relegated as the bottom of the Premiership, they are unbeaten this season and cruising.

This, in a nutshell, says it all. Leave aside that we will be the strongest side in the history of the Prem to be relegated by a country mile. It's been said before but I'll say it again: One of the unintended (?) consequences of our relegation will be to effectively make the whole of next season's Championship pointless. To those who say we'll have our work cut out or that we may get a shock, I say you're dreaming.

The only caveat is that the coaches may decide to really push the academy players to the limit. I guess the selections will be on a horses for courses basis; there is a broad spectrum of ability in the Championship from top to bottom.

maynas 14 May, 2020 14:58
Fine but not a lot of us older people will be watching it unless this antibody test gets rolled out soonest

boomer! 14 May, 2020 16:16
Quote:
flavman 35
I certainly am

Next season will not be a walk in the park and if we don't want "arrogance" added to the list of slurs that have been throw at we should be vary careful of how we prepare for life in the Championship.

Have you see the state of some of the pitches? They will be a great equalizer.

More significantly we are not any team that has been relegated. We are Premiership & European Champions and I should imagine every player in the Championship will want to raise their game on the off chance of getting a scalp.

Underestimate the Championship at our peril.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

myleftboot 14 May, 2020 17:24
I agree in general, but state of the pitches? We won at the Wreck, how much worse can they be?

boomer! 15 May, 2020 18:19
[s][/s]
Quote:
myleftboot
I agree in general, but state of the pitches? We won at the Wreck, how much worse can they be?

I was at the rec this season, it was a bowling green compared to the Cornish Pirates; check out some of the photos from the Pirates games this season. I travel to the West Country regularly to visits friends so get to see local news, and read local papers and there was a game Pirates played where it really was a quagmire.

Thankfully, and not too soon, the LA has approved the building of a new stadium for them. It will not be ready for 2020/2021 but who knows, if Pirates get up into Prem (and we do too) we could visit them at their new ground.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/05/2020 18:25 by boomer!.

OldMarovian 15 May, 2020 18:24
Something for consideration. We may well have to finish this Premiership club season (in some form) play between one and three ERCC games and lose our Internationals for the Autumn Internationals, the 6 Nations and potentially the last 6 Nations game of the past season in addition to playing a full Championship season ...

We do have a strong squad even minus the Internationals but I really hope that no one is taking the Championship promotion for granted.

warwick5763 15 May, 2020 20:25
Exactly the first match this season London Scottish led Newcastle all match until Toby Flood used all his experience and decided “ we are going to stop ****ing around” and kicked for position and closed the game out. Will be dangerous in Championship. massively looking forward to 1st september

AP 18 May, 2020 07:49
Plus, has anyone yet clarified whether we can come straight back or have to sow we have had a "clean" season first, meaning two seasons in the Championship?

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

myleftboot 18 May, 2020 08:03
Not sure AP, THEPRL haven't made the rules up yet

Dolph42 18 May, 2020 09:38
Quote:
AP
Plus, has anyone yet clarified whether we can come straight back or have to sow we have had a "clean" season first, meaning two seasons in the Championship?

Reported by a fair few journos that we only 1 season in the Championship. We have to be under the cap next season and show we can be compliant the following season.

Aberavon Wizard 19 May, 2020 07:12
Go into it with the right attitude and the club, coaches, players and supporters will have a ball. Approach it with arrogance and resentment and it will be another story.

Regardless of how many players leave or go on loan, the gulf between the Premiership and Championship is immense. On your home pitch you will have a considerable advantage but away from home on a cold, wet and muddy saturday afternoon it could be a rather different story, at least for fifty minutes until your fitness and stamina kicks in. Sarries at home will be the game of the season for your opposition as it was against Quins and Saints some years ago and to a lesser extent with Irish, Wuss, Falcons and Bristol as they bounced between the two divisions.

Enjoy it, its really not as bad as you might think !

Barty II 19 May, 2020 09:18
Quote:
Aberavon Wizard
Go into it with the right attitude and the club, coaches, players and supporters will have a ball. Approach it with arrogance and resentment and it will be another story.
Regardless of how many players leave or go on loan, the gulf between the Premiership and Championship is immense. On your home pitch you will have a considerable advantage but away from home on a cold, wet and muddy saturday afternoon it could be a rather different story, at least for fifty minutes until your fitness and stamina kicks in. Sarries at home will be the game of the season for your opposition as it was against Quins and Saints some years ago and to a lesser extent with Irish, Wuss, Falcons and Bristol as they bounced between the two divisions.

good thoughts! Personally seeing the positives (for once). Provided the club survives the current climate and the financial hit of course, we can slightly hit the reset button on the recent mess, have some great days out at strong community clubs, visit grounds we would otherwise rarely/never see. The survey out at the minute suggests to me Saracens are looking at options to improve the 'family' ethos of the club, particularly among long-standing but not high-paying season ticket holders. Hopefully we'll look back on a year (lets be honest, as fun as it may be we still want to bounce straight back) in the Championship with some fond memories.

Rolls 19 May, 2020 15:33
Yep, agreed with the attitude bit. We shouldn’t take any game as a gimme, I remember going up to Rotherham some years back for a guaranteed max points win, our side including Luger etc, etc, and we got thoroughly tonked and deservedly so, we were awful! I’m very much looking forward to seeing new grounds, I love Bedford Blues so that’s a cert, meeting hopefully friendly oppo fans, different beers and pies and even working out new travel and B&B arrangements. Taking anything for granted? Not me.......

Cereal Killer 19 May, 2020 16:35
Quote:
Barty II
Quote:
Aberavon Wizard

good thoughts! Personally seeing the positives (for once). Provided the club survives the current climate and the financial hit of course, we can slightly hit the reset button on the recent mess, have some great days out at strong community clubs, visit grounds we would otherwise rarely/never see. The survey out at the minute suggests to me Saracens are looking at options to improve the 'family' ethos of the club, particularly among long-standing but not high-paying season ticket holders. Hopefully we'll look back on a year (lets be honest, as fun as it may be we still want to bounce straight back) in the Championship with some fond memories.

I agree wholeheartedly! Looking forward to going as a family to as may away games as possible.

OldMarovian 19 May, 2020 17:30
Great post Aberavon Wizard.
I think it's going to be a great experience and I am looking forward to it.
Taking nothing for granted and think it's going to be a massive learning experience for both the coaches and players.

Quote:
AP

Aren't we going to be under the cap this season anyway? (Sm115)

OldMarovian 19 May, 2020 18:02
I didn't want to start a thread off which will draw the usual numpties but did anyone else catch that Andy Goode said "Sarries are trying to be sold at the minute" on the Rugby Pod? It's about 13 minutes in and I'm not sure if I've misunderstood what he said or if he's stirring or what? Anyone else got any idea what's up?

myleftboot 19 May, 2020 20:12
Quote:
OldMarovian
Anyone else got any idea what's up?
the price of stick on hair? If he doesn't think of something to keep his hits up, all his lovely second hand hair will dissappear

MarkCol7 19 May, 2020 22:11
Quote:
OldMarovian
I didn't want to start a thread off which will draw the usual numpties but did anyone else catch that Andy Goode said "Sarries are trying to be sold at the minute" on the Rugby Pod? It's about 13 minutes in and I'm not sure if I've misunderstood what he said or if he's stirring or what? Anyone else got any idea what's up?

Isn't in common knowledge that Wray has been looking for investors ever since he brought his shares back from Remgro a few years back?

D-Quins 19 May, 2020 23:20
Sorry to ask the awkward question, what happens if there is not a next season in the Championship? Lots of clubs there may not be able to follow special rules due to money or logistics.

Who would go up? Would anyone go up.

Now before you give me stick due to my Quins supporting nature. I was there for the Quins Championship year and although I never wanted us to go down it was great year. I am sure you will have fun seeing some of the new grounds. Some are real interesting and there will be lots of tries. This is genuine set of questions.

I want you guys back in the Prem, where else will we get a home win from otherwise [:wor kid:]

OldMarovian 20 May, 2020 11:34
Quote:
MarkCol7
Isn't in common knowledge that Wray has been looking for investors ever since he brought his shares back from Remgro a few years back?

That makes more sense. Just panicked a bit as I'm so used to bad news these days re Saracens.

boomer! 20 May, 2020 13:03
Quote:
MarkCol7
Quote:
OldMarovian

I believe the answer to you rhetorical question is, "Yes!".
(Sm100)

The Substandard Biscuit 21 May, 2020 14:19
With regard to next season, the advent of C-19 has (as the Guardian pointed out this week) has caused some Prep clubs to be on the brink of bankruptcy. There are genuine player fears that while the likes of Bristol, Quins, and Sale have owners with relatively deep pockets, many clubs do not, and may go into liquidation before the next season can start - especially if it can't start again this year, and especially if BT Sport claim a refund.
Would this disbar the cash-strapped clubs from competing if they were in official liquidation ?

Given the current need for cashflow in all clubs, a large part of which is bums on seats at home games, if the number of home games was cut too, (as these liquidated clubs would be unable to play), that would hurt the Premiership and the remaining clubs even more, particularly when hardly any make a profit in good seasons. The C-19 epidemic has put a massive hole in their reserves, and the propensity for further cash-calls from their owners.
So would they be willing to shrink the league (only 8 or 9 home games), or rather have Sarries back to fill the void ? (I can guess who'd vote against that). However, given the one-year contract exits and other out-goings, we wouldn't be as dominant as in the past few seasons, but certainly would be mid-table, probably not in Champions Cup either as we would take our position in league (=12th) prior to demotion.

Regardless looking forward to going to visit Ampthill; Bedford; Ealing; etc.. next year - once it's medically safe. The financial imperatives for cash in clubs, may however change things ? I wonder if any of them are financially modelling a season with reduced games and consequent BT Sport income ?

OldMarovian 21 May, 2020 14:33
In an odd way I think Saracens having to plan for next season in the Championship (prior to the covid situation) and the loss of earnings; sponsorship, match gate, etc envisioned may mean that we are somewhat ahead of the curve with regards to preparing for a situation like the one the league currently find itself in. I'd certainly hope so.

Whatever happens the league will be very different when it resumes and (hopefully) when we return. There are too many brilliant supporters at all clubs to take any comfort in the idea that one or more of them going to the wall "might" be good for Saracens. That's also on the basis that we can survive the current situation.

Innings 21 May, 2020 18:49
IIRC, any club in any RFU-environment that goes into administration or liquidation is automatically demoted to the lowest, ninth, tier of regional rugby. It happened, among others to London Welsh most recently. However, and it's a big however, these are such difficult times that there would be bound to be some work-round that prevented the collapse of PRL, which would be inevitable if it suddenly faced being a leagues of only eight or nine clubs.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

Larraldo 22 May, 2020 07:27
An interesting point brought up on a BBC post: The last Premiership games for season 2019/20 will probably be played in Sept/Oct and the Championship is due to start in September. We will be in both. And we have a European quarter final. And there will be the internationals to factor in. Do we need a bigger squad?

Dave Berko 22 May, 2020 11:18
Quote:
Larraldo
An interesting point brought up on a BBC post: The last Premiership games for season 2019/20 will probably be played in Sept/Oct and the Championship is due to start in September. We will be in both. And we have a European quarter final. And there will be the internationals to factor in. Do we need a bigger squad?

Couldn't script write it!!!

Stumpy7780 22 May, 2020 11:25
What are Newcastle going to do? They won’t be in either. Could they just take our place in the current season with no relegation as we are already down?

OldMarovian 22 May, 2020 11:55
I think that we might be interested in the cash that would be available if the season were to be completed.

South Beds Sarrie 22 May, 2020 12:49
Saw that in The Times this morning. Ludicrous. The obvious thing to do if the Premiership was to be completed in that timeframe would be for Sarries not to be in it and for all of our results to be expunged for this season. Our presence in some kind of truncated mini season is pointless anyway, and would further compromise what little integrity the competition has left. If compelled to fulfil fixtures for BT cash reasons, we would obviously just put out a Storm team in the Premier. Stop the season, give Exeter an asterisk title, and start a new season properly in September.

mrangry 22 May, 2020 15:55
Perhaps it might be an idea that partially satisfies all parties to simply have the season extended to May 2021. Thus allowing all league fixtures to be completed, play offs decided and innumerable England Internationals played in a 2 year season. Also totally annoying the Pro 14, confusing the French and Heineken and showing the rest of the rugby world that England is leading the way as always in rugby.

Innings 22 May, 2020 19:23
A worrying analysis in the Telegraph today as well. Headline is "Rudderless rugby is the forgotten sport in race to restart after coronavirus"
Basically, the RFU has been caught badly. They said at the beginning that they expect to be one of the first sports to restore televised playing and the professional season, now they still have no idea of when and how the game will restart at any level. The writer pin-points two clubs, Wasps and Wuss, as likely to face existential financial difficulties. Players are furloughed and therefore cannot conduct their paid employment until called back, and that will not be until the second or third week of June at earliest. Players will then need at a bare minimum 4-6 weeks of pre-season intensity work-up to achieve match fitness. Play that expects full-intensity games before the beginning August is therefore a pipe-dream, especially given that PRA is making noises about player safety.
Then in late August there are nine rounds of PRL league, play-offs, Europe and Autumn internationals. The 20-21 season then begins.
In all this, when do transfers and loan arrangements kick in? The normal contracts run from 1 June, so do some players face a Limbo of playing for one club because of money, having invested all this season thus far in playing for another? Will some clubs want to wriggle out of their new signings' employment?
IMHO, the rugby season 20-21 can only have meaning if 19-20 is abandoned without further delay. However, money drives the futile attempts to keep this year valid, and the fear of financial collapse is ensuring that panic is driving the process to achieve completion.

The entirety:

"We are working to be the first sport back on tele­vision.” Those were the words uttered on March 23 by Darren Childs, Premiership Rugby’s chief executive, just hours before the lockdown that would tip his sport into a maelstrom of existential angst.
Almost nine weeks on, rugby union looks likely to be the last major sport to mount a successful resumption, sabotaged both by its inherent susceptibility to a virus that thrives on close human contact and by an alarming lack of direction from its leaders.
Sale appeared to break ranks with their Premiership rivals by arranging a light hit-up this week, and quite honestly, who could blame them? After 2½ months of indolence, a socially-distant collective workout was hardly a treasonous offence by athletes who require far more time than most to achieve any level of match readiness.
Indeed, if you believe that football managers are acting cautiously in urging six weeks of training before any top-flight matches can be played, this pales alongside the meticulous process needed for rugby players to regain their sharpness.
As it stands, the Government has offered no guidance as to when teams might return to contact activity, the sine qua non of the sport. Once it does, there seems to be a working assumption, if the Premiership’s increasingly fanciful target of an early July restart is any gauge, that players can make do with a mere four weeks of training before hurling themselves into the fray once more.
Many coaches regard such a notion as absurd, even dangerous. For it is not simply the conditioning of players that has suffered during extended isolation, but their muscle memory. While a certain standard of aerobic fitness can be maintained by the individual, the timing of collisions is perfected only in a group setting.
Given the lengths to which the game has gone in recent years to outlaw high tackles, its authorities are only too conscious of the risks that lie ahead. In most sports, ring-rust from the hiatus can be harmlessly shaken off. In rugby, it has potentially lethal consequences.
The sport’s other intrinsic disadvantage is that it cannot hope to accommodate the extreme distancing measures that will plague society’s “new normal”. In the Premier League, footballers are on such a tight leash at training grounds that they have to park their cars three spaces apart. You can ask for a similarly strict rule to be observed in rugby, but it becomes rather meaningless if, moments later, these same players have their heads buried in a mound of heaving flesh for a scrum drill.
In the immediate future, how are scrums, tackles and mauls ever to be practised without fear of Covid-19 transmission? At the community level, there are already moves afoot to create what Steve Grainger, the Rugby Football Union’s director of rugby development, describes as a “limited contact variant” of the game.
That is all well and good from a public health perspective: after all, those being asked to keep two metres distant in their daily lives might balk at lying at the bottom of a heap of bodies for a ruck. The trouble is that the recommended “variant” forfeits any right to be defined as rugby.
To remove any one of the sport’s essential contests is to emasculate it beyond recognition. Just ask Eddie Jones, who all but combusted in 2017 after Italy tried the novel tactic of refusing to commit men to the ruck against England. “When you lose a primary contest from the game, it ceases to be rugby,” he glowered. “So, if you paid for your ticket, ask for your money back.”
This, then, is the frightful bind in which rugby finds itself, with the Premiership desperately clinging on to the idea of a July revival and yet advancing no arguments for how it can be safely accomplished. Likewise, the message from the Rugby Players’ Association is largely a negative one, dwelling only on why rugby cannot resume, given that some of its members are considered clinically vulnerable with asthma or diabetes. So much, then, for Childs’s insistence that rugby could be the “first sport back”.
Never mind being the first, there is still no structure or map for how it can come back at all.
One way of reassuring players, of course, would be to ensure a rigorous system of testing. On this front, alas, action is painfully slow, with the Premiership yet to issue even the tender documents necessary for procuring coronavirus testing kits.
Naturally, the finances of such a move are daunting, with a testing regime imposing a cost of up to £20,000 a week for each club, a huge burden in a period of acute economic struggle. But through its indecision, the Premiership is losing precious time, hamstrung by its inability to forge a plan and stick to it.
All the time, the condition of its clubs grows ever more parlous. Wasps and Worcester, in particular, are under desperate strain. Clubs cannot afford to take their staff off furlough if there is little prospect, as many fear, of rugby not starting up again in earnest until September.
Reduced player salaries threaten to denude the Premiership of its global cachet, putting off star names from the southern hemisphere. Rugby, slow as it might be to accept it, is staring down the barrel. With each week that passes, it threatens to be the sport that the pandemic leaves behind."

Innings

TonyTaff 23 May, 2020 07:38
Quote:
Innings
IIRC, any club in any RFU-environment that goes into administration or liquidation is automatically demoted to the lowest, ninth, tier of regional rugby. It happened, among others to London Welsh most recently. However, and it's a big however, these are such difficult times that there would be bound to be some work-round that prevented the collapse of PRL, which would be inevitable if it suddenly faced being a leagues of only eight or nine clubs.

If the RFU do not relegated an insolvent Premiership Club, might not Ealing Trailfinders sue?

Coughie could fund the litigation if the owner won't winking smiley

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication.

(*) As at October 31, 2018.

myleftboot 23 May, 2020 10:00
How is it Rugby Management, as in PRL, RFU, all the way up to Bill.Beaumont so crap? Surely they would elect someone competent by accident sometimes?

Surbiton Sarries 23 May, 2020 10:36
Loosely connected with any return rto action. Today's Times reports that World Rugby are considering changes to the laws which individual unions could opt to adopt. Summarising a longish article, scrums to be replaced by a free kick to the team with the put-in, uncontested line outs and no mauls.

You could of course dump a couple of forwards and call it Rugby League.

Innings 23 May, 2020 12:45
And what would be the week-in, week-out crowds to watch that? And the global TV audience?

Innings

OldMarovian 23 May, 2020 13:28
No mauls? somewhere in the West Country Tony Rowe will be bursting a blood vessel or three at that prospect.

Innings 23 May, 2020 15:50
He'd have to claim the they would have won but for cheating by the people who set the laws.

Innings

jonnybrowne 23 May, 2020 15:52
Quote:
Innings
He'd have to claim the they would have won but for cheating by the people who set the laws.

👍👍👍!

TOKS 23 May, 2020 23:20
Ever since Mr Childs took over his role, and tried to ingratiate himself with 11/12ths of the clubs by joining in the witch hunt of the 1/12th, I've been wondering if karma would come calling.

Initially, it was easy to contain. The more mature of the rugby press dissected the decision against Saracens and decided it was what the legal fraternity would describe as "unsafe". Childs was fine with that. The result had been determined by an independent panel including an ex-Supreme Court judge (and look how scrupulously impartial they have shown themselves to be in the last couple of years) so no worries there. A few hacks who had worked out that the only way to beat Saracens was actually to remove them, yep we can deal with that.

However....

Ever since Saracens' relegation was confirmed BT have been trying to re-negotiate the terms of the contract on the basis that the best team, and half the England team, is no longer in it.

Christmas, which is normally a bonanza time for advance sales of Premiership final tickets, saw the slowest demand for tickets in the past 10 years.

Many Twickenham debenture holders (of which I'm one) have been in touch with the RFU wondering what the product on the pitch may look like with half the team plying their trade a division down. I personally haven't been in touch, partly because the girl in the debenture office is a sweetie and doesn't deserve the hassle and partly because I'm still chuckling from afar at the problems the RFU, in this case ably assisted by PRL, manages to create for itself.

Then Covid. Finally a disaster not of PRL's making.

Poor Mr Childs. There's Karma, and there's Mark and Spencer Karma.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/05/2020 23:22 by TOKS.

OldMarovian 24 May, 2020 09:50
100% agree with you about Childs TOKS. See also his comments that the loan issue highlighted by Venter was a non-issue and the SCM said it was all fine (presumably because it was one of the exploits we weren't using?) only for Myners to specifically reference it as being used to exploit the cap.

Maybe we should ask for Myners notes to be published in full so we could see the numerous and systematic (according to Myners himself) ways that the cap was being exploited by a large number of clubs. Wouldn't that be interesting? I wonder how many of the moral majority would find their clubs on the list?

MyCupRunnethOver 24 May, 2020 12:53
Quote:
TOKS
Ever since Mr Childs took over his role, and tried to ingratiate himself with 11/12ths of the clubs by joining in the witch hunt of the 1/12th, I've been wondering if karma would come calling.
Initially, it was easy to contain. The more mature of the rugby press dissected the decision against Saracens and decided it was what the legal fraternity would describe as "unsafe". Childs was fine with that. The result had been determined by an independent panel including an ex-Supreme Court judge (and look how scrupulously impartial they have shown themselves to be in the last couple of years) so no worries there. A few hacks who had worked out that the only way to beat Saracens was actually to remove them, yep we can deal with that.

However....

Ever since Saracens' relegation was confirmed BT have been trying to re-negotiate the terms of the contract on the basis that the best team, and half the England team, is no longer in it.

Christmas, which is normally a bonanza time for advance sales of Premiership final tickets, saw the slowest demand for tickets in the past 10 years.

Many Twickenham debenture holders (of which I'm one) have been in touch with the RFU wondering what the product on the pitch may look like with half the team plying their trade a division down. I personally haven't been in touch, partly because the girl in the debenture office is a sweetie and doesn't deserve the hassle and partly because I'm still chuckling from afar at the problems the RFU, in this case ably assisted by PRL, manages to create for itself.

+1(Sm6)(Sm6)

jonnybrowne 24 May, 2020 20:34
Quote:
MyCupRunnethOver
Quote:
TOKS

However....

+1(Sm6)(Sm6)

+ 2 👍👍

boomer! 24 May, 2020 21:56
Quote:
OldMarovian
No mauls? somewhere in the West Country Tony Rowe will be bursting a blood vessel or three at that prospect.
I relish the thought.
Here a thought, should Saracens be involved in the wrap up of 2019/2020 season and our round #20 fixture vs Exeter goes ahead, maybe we could play some music for SnowyRowe (assuming he has the nerve to turn up at NW4 1RL)
I am thinking Bad Manners ~ Lip Up Fatty
Lip Up Fatty
I am sure we could get the FezBoys to join in......(Sm100)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/05/2020 22:11 by boomer!.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net