Latest news:
New Page 1

Welcome to The Saracens. Our message board is primarily a place for Saracens fans to discuss our club. We welcome posters from other clubs as long as their posts are respectful and not repetitive and our guidelines are followed. To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE,
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
LOCKDOWN!

Latest: SARACENS 23:14 LEICESTER TIGERS
Next: God only knows!

Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: tbc

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Champions Cup
Discussion started by lechef , 29 May, 2020 15:36
Champions Cup
lechef 29 May, 2020 15:36
The final is due to be played in October. Who do we think will be in our squad for the 1/4 final against Leinster

Re: Champions Cup
myleftboot 29 May, 2020 19:54
Jeeesus, how will the loanees work? Do they 'belong' to their new club when the new season starts, or from a set date, normally June isn't it?

Westrock 29 May, 2020 22:04
From SSA

You should have received an email from Leinster, search your SPAM folders if you canít see it. To paraphrase.

The Heineken Cup match is cancelled.

They are sorry and will look to refund within 28 days but please allow them that long.

No further explanation is offered.

lechef 30 May, 2020 09:36
EPCR Statement 14th May

As part of its future planning, and with the extraordinary circumstances due to the COVID-19 pandemic at the forefront, EPCR can confirm that a number of tournament formats are being considered for the 2020/21 season.

Ongoing discussions with EPCRís league and union shareholders regarding new formats have included the possibility of a 24-club Heineken Champions Cup with eight representatives from each of Europeís leading league competitions, played over eight weekends. If adopted, any new format would apply to next seasonís tournament only on an exceptional basis.

In the meantime, EPCR remains committed to making every effort to conclude the knockout stages of the Heineken Champions Cup and Challenge Cup season subject to official advice and with the health and welfare of players, club staff, match officials, supporters and the wider rugby community in mind. It is hoped that the 2020 finals could be staged on 16 and 17 October.

Innings 30 May, 2020 10:05
Please remember that, in these difficult times, pronouncements from any organisation connected to professional rugby are not to be confused with clarity of thought.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

GazzaFez 30 May, 2020 10:29
Lechef - in the current climate there is a huge gulf between "it is hoped" and "is due to be played".

At the moment it seems there is a bun fight between the domestic league, European competition and Internationals over whose matches take priority. My suspicion is that they are all going to be disappointed. The best we can hope for is next season's matches to start, possibly at some point before Christmas. This season is toast.

ComeOnSarries 30 May, 2020 11:46
You simply canít have two seasons going on at once so the first thing they have to agree is what is the changeover date. It is has historically been 1st July but could be delayed although I would have thought anything later than 1 October would completely compromise 2020/21 season. Thus I really canít see how Champions Cup can be delayed until mid October.

I will be honest and say I think it would be best to admit defeat and prepare for a new season start on 1 September with playerís switching on 1 July as usual. So no more club rugby this season. Whether they can squeeze in some internationals in August to raise some monies for the game is then the open question.

Mac L 30 May, 2020 12:15
Best plan is to decide this season has ended in Britain and Europe, no champions just winners and relegated. New season starts when it is safe/sensible.

jonnybrowne 30 May, 2020 20:17
Quote:
Mac L
Best plan is to decide this season has ended in Britain and Europe, no champions just winners and relegated. New season starts when it is safe/sensible.

+1

Sarriebone 04 June, 2020 11:07
Saracens have been assured that their imminent relegation to the Championship for repeated salary cap breaches will not threaten the stalled defence of their Champions Cup title.

[www.rugbypass.com]

wolfgangvonb77 04 June, 2020 19:23
How many players will we have left to compete in this competition lol, but I suppose it gives some great experience to up and coming players.

TonyTaff 05 June, 2020 11:31
If they don't relax the named squad regulations, we could be in trouble!

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication.

(*) As at October 31, 2018.

OldMarovian 05 June, 2020 12:01
Quote:
TonyTaff
If they don't relax the named squad regulations, we could be in trouble!

Maybe Leinster will lend us some of their squad?

Chops3 05 June, 2020 15:57
The only way that all of this is viable is to not start the 2020/21 season at European / Premiership and Championship level until everything to do with this season is either finished or abandoned. No player should be allowed to change club until all three competitions are completed or abandoned.

The integrity of the 2019/20 European Cup will be lost if Saracens are not permitted to compete in the Quarter Final with their full strength European standard squad. If we are forced to play with a Championship standard squad with everyone having left in July, then Leinster are effectively being given a bye in the QF which means a credibility issue for the whole tournament.

My personal opinion is that everything at club level should be abandoned now. Allow the late summer to be used for fundraising internationals, and start the new season afresh when we can in the Autumn.

jonnybrowne 05 June, 2020 16:13
Completely agree, Chops3 - by the way can I pinch that name for the blues-rock power trio Iíll get round to forming one day?

Abandonment now would make the most sense for the reasons youíve stated and also allow everyone - not just Sarries - to move on from a difficult period fir the game.

Completely agree, Chops3 - by the way can I pinch that name for the blues-rock power trio Iíll get round to forming one day?

Abandonment now would make the most sense for the reasons youíve stated and also allow everyone - not just Sarries - to move on from a difficult period fir the game.

OldMarovian 05 June, 2020 17:14
Would I be right in thinking you completely agree with Chops3 jonnybrowne? (Sm126)

jonnybrowne 05 June, 2020 19:23
Quote:
OldMarovian
Would I be right in thinking you completely agree with Chops3 jonnybrowne? (Sm126)

Didnít I make myself clear, OM??

Canít even work out how I managed to do that...furlough brain 😜

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2020 19:28 by jonnybrowne.

Chops3 08 June, 2020 09:55
jonnybrowne - OK, OK, you can use the name for the band - now please stop asking!!!!!!!

jonnybrowne 09 June, 2020 19:17
Quote:
Chops3
jonnybrowne - OK, OK, you can use the name for the band - now please stop asking!!!!!!!

Thank you, thank you and thank you again!!

STIILL canít figure out how I managed to post the same thing three times...

cwrich 25 June, 2020 14:21
Perhaps Iím missing something but what happens if during the run up to the games in September or the final a player in the forwards from a team tests positive ?
The virus is almost certainly going to be circulating albeit at low levels.
Surely as they will be in full match training pretty much the whole forward squad will have to self isolate? How will that side be able to fulfill their matches ?

Sorry Sarrie 25 June, 2020 18:29
Quote:
OldMarovian

I'm just relieved he's not called Chops 103....(Sm22)

My wife and I are on the verge of splitting up because of my obsession with rugby.
I've decided to give it one last try......

jonnybrowne 25 June, 2020 19:57
[quote Sorry Sarrie][quote OldMarovian]Would I be right in thinking you completely agree with Chops3 jonnybrowne? (Sm126)[/quote]

I'm just relieved he's not called Chops 103....(Sm22)[/quote}

😆😆

OldMarovian 26 June, 2020 08:07
With Wiggle committing for the rest of the "normal" season anyone else wondering at the sort of squad we'll be able to put out for the QF against Leinster? Will Maro "97 %" Itoje and Barritt be part of the team? Is Rhodes staying and fit? Likewise Taylor? Still quite a few important question marks at this stage.

Mako, George, Koch, Kpoku, Itoje? Reffell, Rhodes? Billy, Wiggle, Farrell, Segun, Barritt? Taylor? Maitland, Daly

RAH, Woolstencroft, Ibuanopke, CHH, Wray, Davies, Manu, Morris.

Dolph42 26 June, 2020 08:26
OM - we can add Kruis and Goode according to the Telegraph. I suspect Venter and Swinsom would come into contention. Plus Lewington as Iíve not heard of him leaving.

Sarriebone 26 June, 2020 10:36
Quote:
Dolph42
OM - we can add Kruis and Goode according to the Telegraph. I suspect Venter and Swinsom would come into contention. Plus Lewington as Iíve not heard of him leaving.

Kruis is off to Japan, no news on Goode. Lewington has been rumoured to be off to Tigers but no confirmation

Dolph42 26 June, 2020 11:14
Quote:
Sarriebone
Kruis is off to Japan, no news on Goode. Lewington has been rumoured to be off to Tigers but no confirmation

Yes, but the Telegraph suggested both Kruis and Goode would be available for the rest of the season despite both going to Japan (the season doesnít start there until Dec or Jan).

Sarriebone 26 June, 2020 11:17
Quote:
Dolph42
Quote:
Sarriebone

Yes, but the Telegraph suggested both Kruis and Goode would be available for the rest of the season despite both going to Japan (the season doesnít start there until Dec or Jan).

Ah, my bad, hadn't seen that. Would be great if true, our lineouts are on another level with Kruiso playing

OldMarovian 26 June, 2020 12:20
Thanks Dolph42 that's very good news re those two important players.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net