Latest news:
New Page 1

Welcome to The Saracens. Our message board is primarily a place for Saracens fans to discuss our club. We welcome posters from other clubs as long as their posts are respectful and not repetitive and our guidelines are followed. To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE,
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
LOCKDOWN!

Latest: SARACENS 23:14 LEICESTER TIGERS
Next: God only knows!

Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: tbc

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

What might a "typical" Saracens Championship 23 look like?
Discussion started by OldMarovian , 30 May, 2020 13:38
What might a "typical" Saracens Championship 23 look like?
OldMarovian 30 May, 2020 13:38
The lawn is mown, the car washed and the tea brewed. With time to spare I was wondering what a typical 23 might be for us to field in the Championship this season coming.

I've used Bartys excellent thread as a guide to who is, or might be, available but was interested as to what others thought. Are there areas we look short? any players you're particularly interested in seeing play? etc

I'm working on the basis that our normal starters will be rotated in and out but basically haven't picked any to get a feeling for our depth and cover:

RAH, Woolstencroft, Ibuanokpe, Hunter-Hill, Kpoku, Reffell, Christie, Wray, Davies, Vunipola, Segun, Watson, Morris, Crossdale, Obatoyimbo.

Barrington, Pifeleti, Wainright, Kpoku, Stonham, Whiteley, Hooley, ?

A relatively raw but very exciting team for me and obviously they would be supplemented by a handful of much more experienced players most matches I would guess.

The things that spring out to me are we may have lost our second play-maker as I'm not sure I see that in our options at centre or fullback? unless Daly is brought into the squad or Hooley plays fullback as he has done a little for the Eagles.

I am incredibly excited to see how our young flankers go and also the front row, especially RAH and Ibunaokpe, the later of whom looked very useful when he played this past season. Likewise the centres and ofc Manu at 10. Who would our third 8 be? would Reffell step across?

Overall feeling very optimistic but still waiting to see the team we actually start the season with as there are quite a few players whose contracts run out in 2020 where we're yet to hear if they have renewed or will be moving on.

What are your thoughts?

Re: What might a "typical" Saracens Championship 23 look like?
Innings 30 May, 2020 18:41
Are you assuming that Jamie, Maro and Owen won't make the team? I can't see them not getting game time, none will want their careers totally on hold for the season.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

Sarriebone 30 May, 2020 18:54
Quote:
Innings
Are you assuming that Jamie, Maro and Owen won't make the team? I can't see them not getting game time, none will want their careers totally on hold for the season.

They'll make the team with ease but they won't be playing every match, probably just a select few

jonnybrowne 30 May, 2020 19:09
Quote:
Innings

What I believe OM’s assumed - which makes great sense and appears to be the club’s plan - is that Owen, Maro, Billy, Jamie, etc. will not be regular starters keeping them fresh for England commitments and hopefully the Lions, with the 23 above looking like the basis of a strong matchday squad. The big names will get game time - just not week-on-week.

jonnybrowne 30 May, 2020 20:15
Apparently there’s an interview with Adam Powell on this very subject in tomorrow’s TRP.

OldMarovian 30 May, 2020 21:25
Quote:
Innings

Not at all Innings. Just as Sarriebone and jonnybrowne say I'd expect them to be used fairly sparingly. Do you think that we will see them often? I would certainly be surprised if they were regular starters or more than a few games are played where more than three or four of them play at once. I could well be wrong though.

That's interesting Jonnybrowne I'll look forward to reading it.

Sarriebone 30 May, 2020 21:49
On this week's House of Rugby Jamie George said he was looking forward to some of the away trips like Jersey and Pirates so who knows

MarkCol7 30 May, 2020 22:36
They will play 3/4 championship games and then the several 'exhibition games that they've got planned aswell

OldMarovian 31 May, 2020 07:33
Quote:
jonnybrowne
Apparently there’s an interview with Adam Powell on this very subject in tomorrow’s TRP.

A bit thinner than I'd have liked in terms of interesting tidbits but one thing really does stand out, although it may be a mistake by the reporter, never-the-less Neale Harvey writes:

"With England hopefuls Nick isiekwe ... Jack Singleton going out on loan and a host of Sarries regulars, including Alex Goode, Ben Spencer and George Kruis heading abroad, the famed Saracens academy faces its greatest test"

First suggestion I have heard (read) that Spencer is going anywhere but Bath. Might this be the reason that they haven't announced his signing and we haven't confirmed his departure?

McSaracens 31 May, 2020 09:27
That would be an interesting turn of events. Could Spencer be the type of player that could go well in France? He’s in the French mould of a kicking 9.

Were there any transfer rumours in this weeks edition Old Maravoian?

“I believe it might have been said before, but there is something special happening at Saracens, and I want to be part of it.” - Nils Mordt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/05/2020 09:27 by McSaracens.

OldMarovian 31 May, 2020 09:50
Hi McSaracens.

Fisslers column says we are trying to tempt retired Soth African lock Flip Van der Merwe out of retirement. Confirms Titi off to Montpellier. Oh and Guscott thinks Maro should spend the season in France.

jonnybrowne 31 May, 2020 12:31
Quote:
OldMarovian
Hi McSaracens.
Fisslers column says we are trying to tempt retired Soth African lock Flip Van der Merwe out of retirement. Confirms Titi off to Montpellier. Oh and Guscott thinks Maro should spend the season in France.

Yes, saw that - sort of makes sense as Flip would provide a season’s cover while Nick, George (if it is one year) and possibly Maro are away and if he’s at Cambridge he isn’t too far away. He could certainly teach the young lads a thing or two.

Innings 01 June, 2020 15:54
Win the Championship and get promoted, or the club goes downhill and into part-time irrelevance as far as ever again winning anything major is concerned. I would be astonished if that isn't uppermost in every single person on the Sarries books is concerned. Bring on the academy players, all the other good things, but winning the Championship is a matter of the club's survival. I fully expect to see the England names play as often as they can, without which they lose a season of England rewards as well.

Innings

McSaracens 01 June, 2020 16:31
Interesting re Van Der Merwe.

With Maro potentially playing very few games & Kruis, Isiekwe and Skelton off we will need a lock.

The experience of Van Der Merwe alongside Hunter Hill and the Kpoku's would work well.

“I believe it might have been said before, but there is something special happening at Saracens, and I want to be part of it.” - Nils Mordt

jonnybrowne 01 June, 2020 17:00
Quote:
Innings
Win the Championship and get promoted, or the club goes downhill and into part-time irrelevance as far as ever again winning anything major is concerned. I would be astonished if that isn't uppermost in every single person on the Sarries books is concerned. Bring on the academy players, all the other good things, but winning the Championship is a matter of the club's survival. I fully expect to see the England names play as often as they can, without which they lose a season of England rewards as well.

We all know that next season is critical to the club surviving as a viable entity and we all hope being restored, going forward, to its position as a significant force in the professional game, and I’m sure the England names - particularly Mr George - will want to play their part and get some game time in. Just not sure it’ll be that many games.

Innings 01 June, 2020 18:57
I'd suggest that Jamie and others would have their own thoughts about turning up for training and never being selected!

Innings

jonnybrowne 01 June, 2020 19:39
Quote:
Innings
I'd suggest that Jamie and others would have their own thoughts about turning up for training and never being selected!

Quite see your point Innings - we shall see.

One of the positives of all this is Jamie’s attitude - no surprise at all, though, and he’s proving a wonderful rallying point.

Sara'sman 02 June, 2020 12:43
Quote:
MarkCol7
They will play 3/4 championship games and then the several 'exhibition games that they've got planned aswell

In my view this is a long way from what will happen and a mis-interpretation of what was meant when the club stated that the next generation will be key in the coming season. The remaining Internationals will need to get and stay match fit, will want to contribute to their club's progress, will be needed to calm the youngsters, and will wish to play to remain sharp for potential Lions/country tours at the end of the season. My guess is that there will be a maximum of two "exhibition games" more probably none post Covid.

Following this years format the season would comprise 22 League games, 6(+3) Cup, with regular breaks. Perhaps compacted/fewer cup games post Covid. I assume we'll be allowed to enter the Storm side for their 9/10 games. My guess is that the Internationals will play 10-12 League games with a little over half in each squad outside 6N/AI. From watching Leeds these past few seasons very few home games will be competitive going into the second halves unless we pack sides with youngsters. Ealing, Pirates and perhaps Coventry the important games.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net