Latest news:
New Page 1

Welcome to The Saracens. Our message board is primarily a place for Saracens fans to discuss our club. We welcome posters from other clubs as long as their posts are respectful and not repetitive and our guidelines are followed. To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE,
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
LOCKDOWN!

Latest: SARACENS 23:14 LEICESTER TIGERS
Next: God only knows!

Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: tbc

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Super Rugby Aotearoa
Discussion started by Stacky , 01 June, 2020 14:18
Super Rugby Aotearoa
Stacky 01 June, 2020 14:18
So with Super Rugby Aotearoa starting in New Zealand in just under two weeks now, who will be setting the alarm for a 6am live rugby fix?

If so, who will you be supporting/following?

Re: Super Rugby Aotearoa
HighlanderSarrie 01 June, 2020 15:05
Good question - has to be the Highlanders (obviously ! ). Perennial underdogs, the lowest population of any of the Super Rugby bases, and the best stadium in NZ.

Unfortunately, I think it could be a real slog for them having lost far too much experience post RWC. Most people's favourites to finish 5th. No doubt the Crusaders will come out on top.

After 3 months plus of not watching Rugby I won't care, and just want to watch some Rugby again. Hopefully by round 3 crowds will be allowed back too.

Muzza 02 June, 2020 00:24
FYI
The Sat game is at 5pm NZT while the Sunday game is at 3pm NZT.
The reasoning is that the away team has to fly in /fly out on charter flights on the day.

You can support the Canes if you like.

hertsman 02 June, 2020 02:31
I am with Brumbies - my local side & am a club member (but still bleed black & red). Second overall at the moment with a game in hand Oz champs last year & got to the semi final last season. Also due to have the services of Nic White, from 1 July hopefully so Exeter may have to cope without him if the English season ever gets going again.

Muzza 02 June, 2020 04:32
hertsman, you are aware that Brumbies are not included in Super Rugby Aotearoa

HighlanderSarrie, we might have crowds at R2 with today's announcement that L1 could be from Wed 10th. Canes at home to Crusaders the following Sunday - for the Brits L1 means life is back to normal except for the border.

HighlanderSarrie 02 June, 2020 15:52
Muzza - hadn't realised that NZ was in with a chance of going to L1 so soon.That's great news for the country in general, and rugby may even get bigger crowds than normal. Social Distancing might even become an issue at Eden Park.,

hertsman 03 June, 2020 00:13
Yes of course. But with Super Rugby AU starting on 3 July it's also worth thinking about. The ANZAC travel bubble is round the corner, so it shouldn't be long before a reasonably decent competition can start again. That just leaves the SA and Argentina sides - maybe join in a Euro Super league? I think it will be 2021 before the old full Super Rugby set up starts again. If indeed it stays in its format. The Covid may well act as the catalyst to try changes to the structure of world rugby.

NRL has started up again, but all behind closed doors, so that's how the Aoteroa and SR AU comps will be played out. Hopefully HighlanderSarrie will at some stage be allowed to get to a game, as NZ has lead the world in dealing with the V word.

Primavesi2 03 June, 2020 11:01
Quote:
HighlanderSarrie
Good question - has to be the Highlanders (obviously ! ). Perennial underdogs, the lowest population of any of the Super Rugby bases, and the best stadium in NZ. .

Well, you used to have the best stadium in NZ... not such a big fan of the new one. Indoor stadiums in general i find a bit odd and that one was no different.. Do you still play one game a season in Queenstown? Now thats a good place to watch rugby (or cricket) on a sunny day.

HighlanderSarrie 03 June, 2020 12:51
hertsman - I actually live over here so not sure when my next live match will be, It will definitely be a Saracens match, probably in the Championship, but who knows when. But I will definitely watch all the Super games - 10 minutes of a German football game in 3 months on tv doesn't cut it.

Primavesi - I agree Carisbrook was the best, in a very old school way. The atmosphere in the 1st Test vs SA in 1994, hasn't been matched by any game I have been to since. The NZRFU told the Otago RFU they had to get a new stadium if they ever wanted another top tier test, which I think meant build a lot more Hospitality Boxes etc.

The Highlanders only play pre-season matches at Queenstown now, and can only think that's down to cost. It is a truly stunning cricket ground and has hosted ODI's but not for a few years now. England were lucky enough to be based there for the U19 CWC a couple of years ago.

Surbiton Sarries 03 June, 2020 16:09
Interesting rule chage:

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Sarriebone 03 June, 2020 18:24
Quote:
Surbiton Sarries
Interesting rule change:
[www.bbc.co.uk]
It's what Ben Kay has been calling for for the couple of years. It's a decent punishment without completely ruining the game, thumbs down from me

TonyTaff 03 June, 2020 20:12
Have I got this Right? The NZ games will be on SKY in UK in the small hours?

721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication.

(*) As at October 31, 2018.

Stacky 04 June, 2020 11:24
The games are on at 6:05am on Saturdays and 4:05am on Sundays.. All on Sky Sports I believe.

I think the Sunday games may be recorded for later viewing!!

HighlanderSarrie 04 June, 2020 21:54
Just read in the Otago Daily Times that if the Alert Level changes as expected on Monday, the k.o. times for these matches can and probably will change. Could yet have matches starting at breakfast time here as per normal. Which would be nice.

Muzza 04 June, 2020 22:59
Quote:
Could yet have matches starting at breakfast time here as per normal

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo we are so looking forward to have games early evening for Sat/afternoons for Sun games.

One of the big criticism over here by rugby supporters is that timing of super rugby/tests since 1996 is to cater for the likes of HighlanderSarrie breakfast time (sorry HighlanderSarrie not you personally but TV money decides). Just for one season can't they think of their local supporters.

I am hoping that we do stick with these early times as on the odd occasion it has happen I noticed (1) a bigger crowd and (2) huge increase in children & families at the stadiums.

TonyTaff 05 June, 2020 11:43
Things are looking good for NZ. They could soon be left only with border controls.

SKY would pay well if they could show the games over here at breakfast time as it would be the only live rugby available. That would be a shame for the locals, though. Perhaps the government could subsidise to bridge the gap between TV money for evening games and for afternoon ones?

721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

HighlanderSarrie 05 June, 2020 11:49
I hope their final decisions are based on getting the most people into the Stadiums Muzza, and giving them live sport - they deserve it !. We have the record option here, and can always watch later as if live.

Stumpy7780 05 June, 2020 13:15
They will be showing replays of the games at 10 am the day they are played

Surbiton Sarries 08 June, 2020 10:46
To be played in front of unrestricted crowds:

[www.abc.net.au]

Muzza 08 June, 2020 12:20
HighlanderSarrie - With crowd restriction removed the TV marketing team has gone for breakfast time in Europe rather than giving local rugby supporters something. Saturday game is now 7pm NZT (meaning 8am summer Saturday morning for your lot). Sunday minor change to 3:30pm NZT.

HighlanderSarrie 08 June, 2020 15:41
Muzza - what I read spun the Saturday evening kick off as allowing people to work, play their sports (is that happening ?), and allow for the most people to attend. All sounds better than the truth which will be that Sky dictated when the matches started.

Hope you can get along and watch the Canes do their stuff. We are months away from live sport in the UK.

TonyTaff 23 June, 2020 09:36
I am enjoying it. Watch the Saturday game live, but I am too old to watch the Sunday games live, but the 10.00 am 'as live works well for me as it's easy to avoid any spoiler.

I may get around to penning an article on the first four games.

Darraghgirl 27 June, 2020 14:56
Quote:
TonyTaff
I may get around to penning an article on the first four games.

Be good TT because no one else is and I've run out of ideas!

TonyTaff 28 June, 2020 06:56
It'll have to be the first 6 games! Perversely, these are busy times at TT Towers!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net