Latest news:
New Page 1

Welcome to The Saracens. Our message board is primarily a place for Saracens fans to discuss our club. We welcome posters from other clubs as long as their posts are respectful and not repetitive and our guidelines are followed. To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE,
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
"IT'S AN UNREAL EXPERIENCE, SOMETHING I'VE DREAMT
OF SINCE I WAS 4 OR 5" Josh Hallett

Latest: SARACENS 40:17 EXETER CHIEFS
Next: Sat 19th Sept 15.00 Leinster, European Champions Cup 1/4 Final

Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: BT Sport 3 Sat 19th Sept Leinster 14.30

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Cheeky Chiefs
Discussion started by GazzaFez , 03 August, 2020 16:03
Cheeky Chiefs
GazzaFez 03 August, 2020 16:03
https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/onesport/cps/800/cpsprodpb/0BF2/production/_113285030_exeterflag.jpg

So after the dust has settled (for now anyway) Exeter Chiefs have seemingly done the minimum required to deflect their detractors, namely dropping their mascot Big Chief. That's it. They have also decided to keep the name Exeter Chiefs. So far so good, no problem whatsoever with that; no one has a monopoly on the word Chief.

The 'Chief' logo as shown on the flag above also remains on their branding.

However, for me that was never the problem in the first place. It's people dressing up in war bonnets i.e. feathered headdress and with war paint on their faces that's the real problem. That's before you even bring into the equation the chanting we've heard so often over the last few seasons. To me there is zero difference between what they are doing and someone 'blacking up' a la B&W Minstrel show. Not only is this bang out of order in this day and age, it also looks incredibly naff. I just hope the sensible Exeter fans take note of the public mood and ditch this quietly themselves.

I am certainly not given to snowflakery, in fact I don't really do PC at all. For balance I don't have a problem with singing Swing Low at Twickers either. These issues tend to be nuanced but I think in the case of Exeter's branding there is a genuine case for offence to be taken.

Re: Cheeky Chiefs
myleftboot 03 August, 2020 16:16
Similar to you I feel some of these are for the Professionally Outraged. But how is the mascot unacceptably a stereotype, but the badge isn't¿ 20000 people doing the 'tomahawk chop' isn't? They have done the minimum to appease the BLM 'lefties' whilst maintaining their right to wear blackface in the form of face make up, head dresses....Ooh a hundred years of tradition makes it ok? Balderdash. I've tried to maintain a balance between my feeling of injustice as a Sarries fan seeing my club castrated by rules invented after the fact, and Mr Rowe's possibly understandable feelings/actions, but it's hard not to see him and his cronies as bastardfaced fascists here

GazzaFez 03 August, 2020 16:39
I agree MLB (aha you are an anagram of BLM)!

To have arrived at some sort of decision is one thing, but to have such an arbitrary and illogical distinction between the Big Chief Mascot and the Chief logo is quite another. I can't fathom a good reason for this at all. In reality I doubt there is one. It's probably a case of being pushed so far against their will, taking the route of least resistance by dropping Big Chief and hoping that's the end of it.

It has to be said, if SW Comms wasn't one of their major sponsors, I doubt this would be an issue now.

Mac L 03 August, 2020 17:09
So Exeter Rugby are being true to the Exeter Rugby ethos. We will do what we do.

TonyTaff 03 August, 2020 19:07
I fear that 'Saracens' will soon be a target for the snowflakes.

As for the Fezboyz, we don't have a leg to stand on. NOT just 'legless'!

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication.

(*) As at October 31, 2018.

tpr's headmistress 03 August, 2020 20:44
Would that be from the anti camel brigade or the Tommy Cooper Appreciation Society, TT?

Nosher1979 03 August, 2020 23:11
I read that Tony Rowe opposes any changes because the removal of current merchandise, logos, facials and decals would cost him £250,000.
Terrible reason not to change but indicative of his motives and personal aims.

Innings 04 August, 2020 00:04
When I was a boy sixty-five years ago, we played cowboys and Indians. To whom should I apply for training to learn that the fun of those days was actually scarring me for life?

Later on we played Commandoes and SS. Should the schoolmasters who permitted this be dug up and sent to prison?

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

Barty II 04 August, 2020 07:07
Quote:
Innings
When I was a boy sixty-five years ago, we played cowboys and Indians. To whom should I apply for training to learn that the fun of those days was actually scarring me for life?
Later on we played Commandoes and SS. Should the schoolmasters who permitted this be dug up and sent to prison?

Slightly over the top perhaps?

No one is suggesting anyone who used to own a Gollywog doll be put in the stocks. But it is right to look back and think maybe it wasn't appropriate.

If they were called the Exeter Masai Warriors and those in the stands carried a spear and shield and jumped up and down we'd all be pretty uncomfortable so why is appropriation of traditional and sacred Native Indian garb any different?

OldMarovian 04 August, 2020 08:02
Quote:
Nosher1979
I read that Tony Rowe opposes any changes because the removal of current merchandise, logos, facials and decals would cost him £250,000.

I'm not the guys biggest fan bit given the current financial situation I can understand where he's coming from.

For me Exeter do have an issue and a better response would possibly have been not only to drop Big Chief, but to acknowledge the issue with the rest of the branding and make a commitment to have it replaced for the new, ie next, season. That along with a request that their supporters atop wearing the feathered head-dresses and doing the "chop"
That said I understand the value commercially and emotionally of those things so I understand why they're in no rush to change anything meaningful.

The question 're Saracens is an interesting one and tbh I can see an inconsistency in saying that the head-dress is problematic but the fez is fine. I'm certainly thankful that dressing up in robes and a thawbe like some supporters did ages ago never caught on.

AP 04 August, 2020 09:17
Much as I dislike Tony Rowe and Exeter Chiefs (I'll never forgive them for running out of Cornish pasties before the match even started last time I was there,) it's more than a bit over the top to say that "it's hard not to see him and his cronies as bastardfaced fascists here". It's actually very easy not to see them as that, because they are not.

Saracens / fezzes - well, there are not many Saracens around to complain, I believe, and the fez was worn by all races and religions across the Ottoman Empire, so it doesn't have the same sort of significance,

But harlequins are definitely Italian and should therefore be banned as a club identity.

Roger G 04 August, 2020 09:28
Quote:
OldMarovian
...That along with a request that their supporters atop wearing the feathered head-dresses and doing the "chop"...

Apart from in spaghetti westerns is there any evidence that chants like "the chop" were actually common among native Americans? There may or may not be some things for the Chiefs' management to answer for, but the fans aren't responsible, any more than we are for Sarries' misdemeanours. It'd be a shame (and probably impossible) to stop the Chiefs' fans using their brilliant and very infectious chant. One of my favourite memories of Twickenham was the Chiefs fans singing the chop outside the stadium after losing their first final.

Chris1850 04 August, 2020 09:51
If people were absolutely honest, this debate about Exeters branding simply provides an excuse for some Saracens supporters to vent their bile towards the owner and the club that they perceive to have been instrumental in Sarries relegation.

nedrichards 04 August, 2020 10:20
Roger G: There's fairly little evidence of that for sure, but for a lot of Native Americans that's kind of the point. I'm a big follower of American sports so I've maybe been a bit more aware of the debate than most for a while and thought that the Exeter stuff was tone deaf at best. Looking at the beam in our own eye, I'm fairly comfortable with the imagery around the club in 2020 (and yes, I both still do "the vibes" and have read my copy of Orientalism) but certainly there's ways that the imaginative space around the clubs name could be used in ways that are inappropriate at best. 19th Century old boys eh.

GazzaFez 04 August, 2020 10:30
Quote:
Chris1850
If people were absolutely honest, this debate about Exeters branding simply provides an excuse for some Saracens supporters to vent their bile towards the owner and the club that they perceive to have been instrumental in Sarries relegation.

Nonsense.

The movement was started in earnest by a group of Exeter's own supporters who started s petition. That is what promoted the Exeter board to sit and make this decision. This issue has been rumbling for several years now after a North American First Nations representative made the original complaint. She was very clear in their misgivings. And as for these boards; we have joined the party late. Most other boards already had a thread on this issue days ago. This thread was started yesterday.

Innings 04 August, 2020 12:16
Anyone interested in starting a thread to complain that Northampton Saints are clearly offending Christians by trivialising Christianity's concept of sanctity?

Anyone interested in starting a counter-thread to complain that Northampton Saints are clearly offending all non-Christians by forcing them to accept that Christian saints are superior to the holy persons of all other religions?

Anyone interested in starting threads noting that sports clubs that identify themselves by taking names like tigers and sharks trivialise the desperate plight of endangered species?

Any club whose name claims national identity when there is clearly no residual national linkage, apart from an exploited live dog, is clearly beyond reforming.

Innings

OldMarovian 04 August, 2020 12:25
Only if they're ignorant of Saints foundation as a club Innings.

Roger G I think the issue is the "chop" is s parody of cultural behaviour just as Big Chief and the Chief in Exeter branding are caricatures of American Indians.

The branded element is the club's responsibility. They can also suggest what is and isn't acceptable at their stadium. If Saracens supporters were wearing robes anf "blacking-up" to be more like Saladins warriors would many of us find that acceptable?

Innings 04 August, 2020 12:58
Americans don't understand irony.

Innings

Barty II 04 August, 2020 13:39
If you can't differentiate between appropriating another culture's traditions, and using an animal as the name of your club there's not much to be said.

Innings 04 August, 2020 14:24
And, apparently, many posters on this thread also don't understand irony.

Innings

Chris1850 04 August, 2020 14:47
Quote:
GazzaFez
Quote:
Chris1850

Nonsense.

The movement was started in earnest by a group of Exeter's own supporters who started s petition. That is what promoted the Exeter board to sit and make this decision. This issue has been rumbling for several years now after a North American First Nations representative made the original complaint. She was very clear in their misgivings. And as for these boards; we have joined the party late. Most other boards already had a thread on this issue days ago. This thread was started yesterday.

I dont doubt that there is a debate to be had and several posters are happy to do that in a civil and educated fashion. My point was that some are not, and simply see it as an opportunity to be abusive towards Exeter and Rowe in particular.

Roger G 04 August, 2020 16:18
Quote:
OldMarovian
Roger G I think the issue is the "chop" is s parody of cultural behaviour just as Big Chief and the Chief in Exeter branding are caricatures of American Indians.

The branded element is the club's responsibility. They can also suggest what is and isn't acceptable at their stadium. If Saracens supporters were wearing robes anf "blacking-up" to be more like Saladins warriors would many of us find that acceptable?

Surely whether it's a parody or homage is a matter of opinion? Either way somebody will find a way to be offended.

Sarriebone 04 August, 2020 18:53
Quote:
Roger G
Quote:
OldMarovian

Surely whether it's a parody or homage is a matter of opinion? Either way somebody will find a way to be offended.

But surely the decision on whether it's parody or homage comes down to the people being portrayed? If I draw picture of someone that I think is an homage but the person depicted thinks I'm taking the p*ss then that's all that matters.

Would any of us be ok with a team calling themselves the Exeter China-men, having a stereotypical image of a Chinese person as their logo, having the fans dressing up as below and chanting "ying-tong, ying-tong"? Of course not. Yet that's pretty much what Exeter are doing.

As for their claim that they've had players from around the world and they've all been fine with it, that's akin to saying "well I've got a black friend so I can't be racist..." Were any of those players of native American descent?
I'm not saying Exeter or their fans are racist by the way.

If it's a budget thing then come out and say that they'll look in to rebranding once the clubs financial situation is clearer in post-covid times. But they've chosen to go down the "we've had a chat and we think it's honouring them so it's fine" (I'm paraphrasing), which frankly is a bit short-sighted and will come back to bite them imo.

Chris, I think we can have a discussion about the subject and if the opportunity to have a little dig at Mr Rowe OBE, then I think that's fine as well. Don't forget this is a man who a few months ago turned away Fly-Be employees with tickets stating "we aren't a charity" and yet is now asking ST holders to donate money to the club...

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0144/5547/2182/products/418cc6df-e411-4d8c-9e02-6dd821f53dd7_1024x1024.jpg?v=1574952089

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2020 18:55 by Sarriebone.

mrangry 04 August, 2020 20:10
Tomahawk Chop started 1980s by Florida State Seminoles (local tribe)football team. Adopted by Kansas City Chiefs, playing at Arrowhead Stadium and Atlanta Braves Baseball team, who had a native American as part of their logo from 1915. Exeter joined late in the Americanisation, but claim the nickname chiefs going back a long time. The branding was done for commercial reasons only, and could be changed to Dumnonii chiefs, naval rank chiefs (CPO)--- hello sailors--or any kind. There is no need for any Native American link. But, as we all laugh at those NotItalian comedians from West London, find those that play in the St James area more sinners than those canonised, know there are few Ursine creatures in Brizzle and fewer FelisLeo up the road, and no Chondrichthyes on land in Greater Manchester, can't we leave well alone and let those directly concerned deal with it.

Roger G 04 August, 2020 21:50
Quote:
Sarriebone
But surely the decision on whether it's parody or homage comes down to the people being portrayed? If I draw picture of someone that I think is an homage but the person depicted thinks I'm taking the p*ss then that's all that matters.

Is it really that simple? What if some of those portrayed feel ridiculed and some feel honoured? Or are we in a world where we have to make sure not a single person is offended by what we say or do, even if a majority are not bothered? Don't get me wrong, I absolutely support protests and movements against clear racism and/or cultural exploitation, but I just think in some cases it's a minefield where you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

GerryK 05 August, 2020 16:28
Interesting observations, many of which are self serving and appealing to the PC brigade.
Has anybody thought of contacting the native Americans and asking them what they think of the issue, my guess would be that
a) very few would have heard of rugby and Exeter chiefs in particular and
b) couldn't care less if they had.

We should stop being sanctimonious about perceived slight

Barty II 05 August, 2020 16:34
Quote:
GerryK
Interesting observations, many of which are self serving and appealing to the PC brigade.
Has anybody thought of contacting the native Americans and asking them what they think of the issue, my guess would be that

Given their feelings towards the branding and marketing of the Washington Redskins, do they really need to be asked?

GazzaFez 05 August, 2020 17:13
Quote:
GerryK

You're way behind the curve here. This has already happened, the first time was several years ago.

Sarriebone 05 August, 2020 18:27
Quote:
Roger G
Quote:
Sarriebone

Is it really that simple? What if some of those portrayed feel ridiculed and some feel honoured? Or are we in a world where we have to make sure not a single person is offended by what we say or do, even if a majority are not bothered? Don't get me wrong, I absolutely support protests and movements against clear racism and/or cultural exploitation, but I just think in some cases it's a minefield where you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

My example may be over-simplistic, but when said group of people have been protesting about the use of their imagery/traditions/ceremonial dress by sports teams for 60yrs, that psychological studies have shown it causes problems for the youth of said groups, then imo it's something that needs to be taken seriously. I appreciate that not all native Americans will be bothered about it, of course they won't , same as not all people called Oliver object to being called Oli, but I do so I'd rather people didn't. It's a bit more complicated than that with this situation, and yes I'm sure 95% of Native Americans have never even heard of Exeter let alone Exeter Chiefs, but that doesn't mean their objections shouldn't be taken on board.

Sarriebone 07 August, 2020 10:12
Exeter Chiefs' iconic chant to be left out by BT Sport fake crowd noise for Rugby Restart

[www.rugbypass.com]

myleftboot 07 August, 2020 20:18
It appears I have to apologise for the entire comedic career of Rik Mayall. For all of you bastardfaced fascists, I truly, truly apologise for Steve Diamond

jonnybrowne 08 August, 2020 11:07
Quote:
Innings
And, apparently, many posters on this thread also don't understand irony.

+1

As a coulrophobia sufferer I‘m thinking of starting up a campaign to get Harlequins to change their name. Any suggestions??

maynas 08 August, 2020 12:18
Quote:
Nosher1979
Terrible reason not to change but indicative of his motives and personal aims.

Frankly in these cash strapped times seems a very reasonable approach. I assume they’ll leave it a year till all merchandise sold then change it?

jonnybrowne 08 August, 2020 15:03
Quote:
Sarriebone
Exeter Chiefs' iconic chant to be left out by BT Sport fake crowd noise for Rugby Restart
[www.rugbypass.com]

For “iconic” read “bloody annoying”...

carlyleuk 13 August, 2020 11:52
With all the cash flow problems Exeter has, re: conference centre not pulling it wait, I hope this is the answer.

However, for the Racism in sport gestures, what is Exeter going to do? I hope they are not going to show 'respect' to the BAME community like they have to the Native Americans.

OldMarovian 13 August, 2020 13:14
Quote:
carlyleuk
With all the cash flow problems Exeter has, re: conference centre not pulling it wait, I hope this is the answer.

Perhaps they should have saved some of their CVC money rather than giving it interest free to Tony Rowe to build the hotel at Sandy Park?

boomer! 13 August, 2020 13:22
Quote:
OldMarovian
Quote:
carlyleuk

Perhaps they should have saved some of their CVC money rather than giving it interest free to Tony Rowe to build the hotel at Sandy Park?

We may be unhappy with the way Baxter and Rowe went about slagging Saracens off, (and whipping up anti Saracens fever amongst the other prem clubs) but I take no delight if ExeterChiefs plc have cashflow problems because, at the end of the day, there is an ordinary Joe at the bottom of the food chain that may lose his job or fail to be able to pay his mortgage.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Sarriebone 15 August, 2020 17:17
Anyone else notice the chop being played over the stadium PA?

myleftboot 15 August, 2020 17:23
Quote:
Sarriebone
hypocrisy is the greatest luxury

Osmium 15 August, 2020 23:59
Quote:
myleftboot
Quote:
Sarriebone
hypocrisy is the greatest luxury

Yes. Racism at its worst. Must be deeply offensive to those to whom playing those three notes in that order is part of their culture.

ouch!_that_hurts 16 August, 2020 11:18
I posted this originally on a similar thread on the Bath forum: as a Chiefs supporter who, I might add,

1 doesn't wear a war bonnet and buckskin or, indeed, a replica shirt which I think is almost as bad!

2 carry a tomahawk of any material either to matches nor in my daily life,

3 rarely finds the need to wear face paint or take part in war chants, and

4 supports the change of branding,

I have the following comment:

When the branding was introduced, I'm sure it was seen solely as a marketing tool and something for people to identify with - just the same as Bristol's belated introduction of their 'Bears' identity (no matter how much it was un-needed). I doubt that anyone intended any offense by the imagery - at the time Cleveland Indians still had Chief Wahoo so our logo was positively respectful by comparison. However, times have changed and what was seen as OK 20 years ago is seen differently now so I agree it is time for a change. I also accept that for fairly obvious reasons (cost being one of them) change will not be instant but getting rid of Big Chief is a step in the right direction (I must admit, I was always slightly embarrassed by it and for the adults wanting their photo taken with him). Changing branding and people's behaviour may take longer ............. for example, are you going to ban people wearing an old shirt, baseball cap, etc. from the ground?

As a point of fact - and this is confirmed by my cousin who went to Florida State University, from whence they originated - the tomahawk chop (a chopping motion with the arm) and the war chant are two different things; I don't recall ever seeing anyone doing a tomahawk chop at Sandy Park. Interestingly enough, when the war chant started at FSU, it was said that the Seminole tribe's view was that it probably had a greater connection with John Wayne than any native American. And much as you all dislike it, it is at least different from 'Glaaaawster, Glaaaawster' and 'Come on you [insert team of choice]' .

Something I did find strange about BT's coverage yesterday was they said it was the 'soundtrack' from the Chiefs v Leicester game last season. However, having removed the chant from it, it could just as easily been from a cricket match; it had nothing to indicate it was from a rugby match let alone that particular one.

BovvySarrie 17 August, 2020 19:46
There is zero difference between wearing the headdress, chanting, using the logo and blacking up for a party. I am not a snowflake. I am not a dinosaur either.

boomer! 18 August, 2020 15:19
With respect to corporate branding, what exeter chiefs do, or don't do, matters not a jot to me.
I won't be losing any sleep over this matter: and I won't be charging around on my horse called 'Woke' waging an accusing finger.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

GazzaFez 23 August, 2020 14:43
An interesting development. I wonder if this will cross the pond?

Feathers and face paint banned...........

[bleacherreport.com]

jonnybrowne 23 August, 2020 16:14
Quote:
GazzaFez
An interesting development. I wonder if this will cross the pond?
Feathers and face paint banned...........

[bleacherreport.com]

Well it might be seen as giving a bit of moral ammunition to the group of Exeter fans that started a petition to get the Chiefs branding removed but I still wouldn’t bet my three- starred black and red shirt on Tony Rowe sanctioning anything that might cost money and/or be seen as losing face.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/08/2020 18:53 by jonnybrowne.

Bod 23 August, 2020 20:13
I guess, if offence taken is so primarily important in the society we live in, it's pretty pointless allowing any topical discussion.
CL has a good few points.

[www.rugbypass.com]

We live in a country divided along increasingly sectarian and intolerant lines, almost geographically split between London and the cities of "academe " , and the rest of the country

Waldo 24 August, 2020 12:04
Drop the "i".
Replace the logo with a person wearing a Toque Blanche (chefs Hat)
Big Chief becomes Big Chef
The fans can still wear some headgear
The chop stays (different context)
New Chant required - suggestion below

Fixed that for you ..........You're welcome

Dunno 24 August, 2020 20:31
Quote:
Waldo

Appropriation of French identity politics surely Ed???, especially when they turn up at SP reeking of garlic and cheap Anis and chanting "Haaaaw he haw, haaaaw he haw!" then shrug their shoulders whilst lifting their arms and turning palms up?

AP 24 August, 2020 20:38
I await an expert comment from Le Chef.

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

jonnybrowne 25 August, 2020 12:16
Quote:
Dunno
Quote:
Waldo

Appropriation of French identity politics surely Ed???, especially when they turn up at SP reeking of garlic and cheap Anis and chanting "Haaaaw he haw, haaaaw he haw!" then shrug their shoulders whilst lifting their arms and turning palms up?

Or how about keeping it simple (and cheap) by retaining the name Chiefs on the basis that it’s allegedly the traditional nickname for the club’s first team and changing the logo to a large figure in a rugby kit perhaps, if a local reference that wouldn’t offend anyone is needed, holding a cup of tea in one hand and a jam and cream (or is it cream and jam in Devon?) laden scone in the other.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net