Latest news:
New Page 1

Welcome to The Saracens. Our message board is primarily a place for Saracens fans to discuss our club. We welcome posters from other clubs as long as their posts are respectful and not repetitive and our guidelines are followed. To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE,
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
"I COULDN'T BE MORE PROUD OF MY TEAM" Brad Barritt

Latest: LEINSTER 17:25 SARACENS
Next: Sat 26th Sept 13.00 Racing 92, European Champions Cup 1/2 Final La Defense Arena

Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: BT Sport/Channel 4 Sat 26th Sept Racing 92 12.30

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Leinster
Discussion started by OldMarovian , 07 August, 2020 21:58
Leinster
OldMarovian 07 August, 2020 21:58
A very interesting piece on the 42 about what Leinster have been doing during lockdown. Basically a bit of war-gaming with the Crusaders.
[www.the42.ie]
First rate idea from Lancaster.

Re: Leinster
jonnybrowne 09 August, 2020 09:23
Quote:
OldMarovian
A very interesting piece on the 42 about what Leinster have been doing during lockdown. Basically a bit of war-gaming with the Crusaders.
[www.the42.ie]
First rate idea from Lancaster.

Fascinating article, which demonstrates Stuart Lancasterís ability to think progressively.

myleftboot 09 August, 2020 14:17
Very very smart all round. I think the rest of the world were lucky the All Black's appointed Foster

OldMarovian 20 August, 2020 19:55
[www.theguardian.com]

If Leinster can't fulfill the rescheduled game on the 19th do we win by default?

Sarriebone 20 August, 2020 20:09
Quote:
OldMarovian
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/aug/20/quarantine-questions-put-european-rugby-schedules-on-razors-edge-the-breakdown
If Leinster can't fulfill the rescheduled game on the 19th do we win by default?

Should do! Them's the rules in the prem anyway

AP 20 August, 2020 21:11
Looks like it could be played OK in Northern Ireland.

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

OldMarovian 20 August, 2020 21:13
So the Kingspan then AP?

myleftboot 21 August, 2020 08:10
I'm confused, there is no border UK to NI, and an open border NI to Ireland... So how, in fact, is there any "real" obstruction?

AP 21 August, 2020 09:29
Because of the Good Friday Agreement the Irish / Northern Ireland border has no significant restrictions on crossing. So (unless any Covid-related measures are introduced), Irish residents can travel there while so too can UK residents as it's part of the UK. Neither would have quarantine requirements (as it stands) on returning home.

In fact, if you have immigration permission to be in the UK but not the Republic (and as it's not in the Schengen area, a permission for another EU member state doesn't help), you can't fly direct to Dublin but you can legally go to the North and then take the train down to Dublin!

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

boomer! 21 August, 2020 12:37
Quote:
AP
Because of the Good Friday Agreement the Irish / Northern Ireland border has no significant restrictions on crossing. So (unless any Covid-related measures are introduced), Irish residents can travel there while so too can UK residents as it's part of the UK. Neither would have quarantine requirements (as it stands) on returning home.
In fact, if you have immigration permission to be in the UK but not the Republic (and as it's not in the Schengen area, a permission for another EU member state doesn't help), you can't fly direct to Dublin but you can legally go to the North and then take the train down to Dublin!

Problem solved.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Sara'sman 23 August, 2020 08:51
The strength of the team that we'll be missing following the Covid delay from Barty's squad list:

15 Gallagher
14 Williams *
13 Lozowski +
12 Tompkins *
11 (Hakalo)
10 Malins
9 Spencer +

1 Carre +
2 Singleton +, Gray
3 Lamositele *, Figallo
4 Skelton +
5 Kruis *
6 Isiekwe *
7 Munday
8 Earl +

Yesterday again showed how we still have a competitive starting XV backed up by some hugely promising youth. But it will be a massive challenge to overcome a side of Leinster's quality with our depleted squad (5 starters and 6 bench?), especially if we lose a player or two to injury. Does anyone know who they've lost?

mixmastermatt 23 August, 2020 10:33
Quote:
Sara'sman
The strength of the team that we'll be missing following the Covid delay from Barty's squad list:
15 Gallagher
14 Williams *
13 Lozowski +
12 Tompkins *
11 (Hakalo)
10 Malins
9 Spencer +

1 Carre +
2 Singleton +, Gray
3 Lamositele *, Figallo
4 Skelton +
5 Kruis *
6 Isiekwe *
7 Munday
8 Earl +

Yesterday again showed how we still have a competitive starting XV backed up by some hugely promising youth. But it will be a massive challenge to overcome a side of Leinster's quality with our depleted squad (5 starters and 6 bench?), especially if we lose a player or two to injury. Does anyone know who they've lost?

Come on man!!!! Don't be such a negative nelly!!!!

15 Goode
14 Maitland
13 Lozowski
12 Barritt
11 Daly
10 Farrell
9 Wigglesworth

1 M Vunipola
2 George
3 Koch
4 Itoje
5 Hunter-Hill
6 Rhodes
7 Wray
8 B Vunipola

You really think that is a weak lineup? Get some beers in you!

GazzaFez 23 August, 2020 10:48
Lozowski?

I think the options are Duncan Taylor at 13 or Daly at 13 and bring Alex Lewington in on the wing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/08/2020 10:55 by GazzaFez.

mixmastermatt 23 August, 2020 11:35
Quote:
GazzaFez
Lozowski?
I think the options are Duncan Taylor at 13 or Daly at 13 and bring Alex Lewington in on the wing.

Yep, my bad! Duncan Taylor it could be.

Sara'sman 23 August, 2020 12:32
Quote:
mmm
Yep, my bad! Duncan Taylor it could be.

Perhaps you should have given me a couple of those beers. smiling smiley

Definitely not a weak team, including, perhaps, with a bench of:
16 Woolstencroft
17 Barrington
18 Clarey (Ibuanokpe)
19 Kpoku
20 Reffell (Clark)
21 Davies
22 Morris (Soccino)
23 Lewington

But if you think we'll not be significantly weakened by losing the quality of the starters and bench that I listed, especially if we pick up an injury or two in keeping our starters match fit, I'd definitely check what you're downing! (Sm128) One thing we will agree on - our players will give it their all.

OldMarovian 23 August, 2020 13:12
Less than a month to fo till the Leinster fixtures and lots of reasons for optimism. I'm incredibly impressed by how well the young players have been integrated and how they have performed. I hope both Morris and CHH are ok as both have had brilliant starts to the season.

Right now the main work-ons are maul, breakdown (anyone else remember the job Leavy did on us) and sorting the starter at 9. The maul is a concer as its been an issue for a while so it's never been as simple as missing Kruis and/or Skelton.

On a side note and looking at SMs list of Sarries players at other clubs it's interesting that it seems there might be something in theh notion that Saracens culture and coaching have a part to play in the quality of their players not just our ca$h?
Lots of moaning on other sites about our loaned players and in many cases comments about how they either wouldn't make that teams 23 or that that club could show them what a proper club is. By my reckonning pretty much every loaned player has been in that teams best players in each game they've played. Isiekwe picking up MotM on his first outing. Well done to them and we'll keep the home-fires buring for your return.

JohnMB 24 August, 2020 12:07
Leinster negotiated their way past Munster at the weekend by 27-25 in a surprisingly high quality encounter given the hiatus from rugby both teams have endured since the pandemic took hold. They scored 3 tries while conceding 3 tries. Their line out was poor even after the departure from the fray of RG Snyman in the 7th minute. Their defence of high kicks was also poor. In addition, with Dave Kearney suffering a hamstring injury and with Fergus McFadden and Adam Byrne out injured and Barry Daly recently retired through injury they are looking a bit light on the wings. We also missed James Ryan's presence in the pack and can only earnestly hope that he returns from injury in time for the RCC Semi Final. Dan Leavy will really need to play against Ulster next week and in the League Semi Final if he is to figure in the RCC Semi Final.

OldMarovian 24 August, 2020 20:09
Some interesting observations in Off the ball about just the points that JohnMB makes. Specifically about Larmours weakness under the high ball and Leinsters vulnerability out wide. Little gaps in the Leinster (L)armour?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net