Latest news:
New Page 1

Welcome to The Saracens. Our message board is primarily a place for Saracens fans to discuss our club. We welcome posters from other clubs as long as their posts are respectful and not repetitive and our guidelines are followed. To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE,
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
"I COULDN'T BE MORE PROUD OF MY TEAM" Brad Barritt

Latest: LEINSTER 17:25 SARACENS
Next: Sat 26th Sept 13.00 Racing 92, European Champions Cup 1/2 Final La Defense Arena

Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: BT Sport/Channel 4 Sat 26th Sept Racing 92 12.30

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Sunday's teams
Discussion started by tpr's headmistress , 11 September, 2020 12:22
Sunday's teams
tpr's headmistress 11 September, 2020 12:22
Saracens team to face Exeter Chiefs:

15 Will Hooley (2)
14 Rotimi Segun (32)
13 Dom Morris (23)
12 Harry Sloan (2)
11 Elliott Obatoyinbo (14)
10 Manu Vunipola (25)
9 Tom Whiteley (47)
1 Sam Crean (11)
2 Kapeli Pifeleti (11)
3 Alec Clarey (4)
4 Joel Kpoku (34)
5 Callum Hunter-Hill (20)
6 Calum Clark (53)
7 Sean Reffell (24)
8 Janco Venter (2)

Replacements

16 Tom Woolstencroft (39)
17 Robin Hislop (1)
18 Josh Ibuanokpe (15)
19 Cameron Boon (2)
20 Andy Christie (12)
21 Alex Day (5)
22 Juan Pablo Socino (5)
23 Josh Hallett (0)

Re: Sunday's teams
HighlanderSarrie 11 September, 2020 12:26
Thanks tpr.. Very much a 2nd string side, but interested to see Manu included. Seems to indicate he won't be starting next week. Is Alex Goode going to be moved to no. 10 ?

Exeforever 11 September, 2020 12:28
Exeter side for Sunday

15 Phil Dollman
14 Josh Hodge
13 Corey Baldwin
12 Tom Wyatt
11 Facundo Cordero
10 Harvey Skinner
9 Joe Snow
1 Billy Keast
2 Jack Innard
3 Alfie Petch
4 Will Witty
5 Tom Price
6 Sean Lonsdale
7 Richard Capstick
8 Don Armand (capt)

16 Jordon Poole
17 James Kenny
18 Matt Johnson
19 Dave Dennis
20 Aaron Hinkley
21 Will Yarnell
22 Jack Walsh
23 Luke Mehson

Apart from Armand, Losdale and Dollman that's a third XV/Exeter University side so indicates exactly how relevant the Coaches see the fixture as being.

And Cordero is Santi's younger brother. Whether he has his brother's abilities will be discovered on the day.

So Sarries 2nds/3rds v Exeter 3rds: strange days we are living in indeed!

Surbiton Sarries 11 September, 2020 12:36
Saracens v Exeter Chiefs at Allianz Park
Referee: Adam Leal
Assistant Referees: Andrew Jackson & Gareth Holsgrove
TMO: Sean Davey

AB 11 September, 2020 12:46
Pretty amazing isn’t it how Exeter can put a side out like this and still have a truly massive squad yet stay within the salary cap?

tpr's headmistress 11 September, 2020 12:58
Do we really want to go there, AB.

ComeOnSarries 11 September, 2020 13:01
A combination of COVID, Saracens salary breaches, PRL failings, desire for TV money and fixture clash with Champions Cup have changed what would normally be a hum dinger of a match between England’s top 2 teams into a pretty unimportant match between two devlopmemt teams - should be rebadged A teams

Poking With Sticks 11 September, 2020 13:47
Quote:
AB
Pretty amazing isn’t it how Exeter can put a side out like this and still have a truly massive squad yet stay within the salary cap?

A side like what? Don Armand's probably the biggest earner there. Dollman and Dennis might register. 2/3rds of that squad are academy players. Exeter's squad is so big because it includes the academy. So a lot of those listed as senior players will be in the £24-30K pay range.

GazzaFez 11 September, 2020 13:59
Quote:
Poking With Sticks
Quote:
AB

A side like what? Don Armand's probably the biggest earner there. Dollman and Dennis might register. 2/3rds of that squad are academy players. Exeter's squad is so big because it includes the academy. So a lot of those listed as senior players will be in the £24-30K pay range.

Did you really need to bite? Honestly? If you don't know what fishing in a barrel is, you've just neatly demonstrated it.

fatheralice 11 September, 2020 14:17
Finals aside I think we've only really had one decent match up between the teams in the last 4 years. AIs or 6N seem to get in the way most seasons certainly over the 2 legs. This year's home game at SP was probably as close to full strength from both sides as we've seen but the return fixture has been scuppered by quite a few issues this year!

Disappointing as fans to miss out yet again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2020 14:18 by fatheralice.

Kevetty 11 September, 2020 19:18
Where is it being shown on BT sport?

paulglynn 11 September, 2020 19:27
Bt sport 1 from 4.15 and not on the red button

Kevetty 11 September, 2020 20:34
That makes a change! Bet they thought the first teams would be playing!

TonyTaff 12 September, 2020 13:41
Rob Baxter has comprehensively outplayed Smally ...

... In the 'who can field the weakest squad' game!

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication.

(*) As at October 31, 2018.

GazzaFez 12 September, 2020 15:04
My attitude to this game is best summed up by a choice between a BBQ invite or watching the game on BT Sports. I chose the BBQ, something that would have been unconscionable in normal circumstances. I will of course watch the recording later.

jonnybrowne 12 September, 2020 18:01
Quote:
tpr's headmistress
Do we really want to go there, AB.
agreed, tprh - I can’t even be bothered to get angry about the characteristic rubbish Rob Baxter’s been coming out with in the press over the past day concerning the “animosity” between the clubs.

NewPotnoodlehorn 12 September, 2020 18:46
Quote:
HighlanderSarrie
Thanks tpr.. Very much a 2nd string side, but interested to see Manu included. Seems to indicate he won't be starting next week. Is Alex Goode going to be moved to no. 10 ?

Manu is a good player but the 1/4 final of the HC - he'll get swallowed whole by Leinster. Of course Alex Goode will start at 10.

I would guess

Mako
Jamie
Vincent
Maro
Swinson / Kpuko
Rhodes
Jackson
Billy

Wiggy
Alex
Lewington
Brad
Duncs
Maitland
Dailey

OldMarovian 12 September, 2020 19:18
Well I shall be watching with interest.

This is basically our Championship team and there's a lot of exciting potential in there much of it already realising itself. Given it's also Chiefs young guns it's entirely possible that large numbers of both squads will be facing each other in a few seasons time when we hopefully return to the Premiership. Just the sort of game where when we beat Chiefs in the European Final in 2022 you can say "I remember seeing the poetntial in X back when they played in 2020" (Sm128)

Osmium 13 September, 2020 00:21
Quote:
jonnybrowne
the characteristic rubbish Rob Baxter’s been coming out with in the press over the past day concerning the “animosity” between the clubs.

Do you have any links? I googled 'Rob Baxter Saracens v Exeter' but only found a team announcement interview, commenting mainly on both sides having one eye on next week.

tpr's headmistress 13 September, 2020 08:36
Rugbypass quotes him and I'm not interested in finding any more. Fill your boots! It's not worth getting exercised over.

EXDJ 13 September, 2020 08:51
Quote:
tpr's headmistress
Rugbypass quotes him and I'm not interested in finding any more. Fill your boots! It's not worth getting exercised over.

“There’s obviously animosity, largely because myself or Tony Rowe (chairman and chief executive) have been happy to make media comments about what we felt about the salary cap,” Chiefs director of rugby Baxter said.

“But they wouldn’t have been different to comments made by any other club, it’s just that our comments carried more weight because we’ve played in finals against them.

“There hasn’t been any love lost between us for seasons. We’ve both been operating at the top end of the Premiership for the last three or four years and the reality is that when you meet in the semi-finals or finals, you battle away in those games.”

So - “we said things about the cap breach, other clubs said the same, we have been rivals for a few years”? Were there other comments elsewhere? It reads fairly factually rather than being particularly inflammatory.

tpr's headmistress 13 September, 2020 10:31
I didn't say it was inflammatory - just an article other than the one Osmium refers to. Everyone has their own interpretation of what they read. One man's inflammatory is another's piece of nothing, depending on which side of the fence you are.

EXDJ 13 September, 2020 10:40
Sorry for misreading you. Seemed like a straight answer to a press question. What makes this “characteristic rubbish”?

Maroon Tyke 13 September, 2020 11:13
Effectively Storm v Braves. Always an enjoyable and open game. Well worth watching.

You can take the man out of Yorkshire but you can't take Yorkshire out of the man.

OldMarovian 13 September, 2020 12:09
Quote:
Maroon Tyke
Effectively Storm v Braves. Always an enjoyable and open game. Well worth watching.

+1

HighlanderSarrie 13 September, 2020 13:19
NewPotNoodleHorn - that's a strong side you have picked and I think it won't be far the side that is selected. Alex Goode is the obvious no. 10 pick I guess and 100% happy with him playing there - just hope Wiggy is fit and available to play inside him.
My biggest worry next week is no's 16 to 23. Last time the 2 teams played these guys were immense for us, especially the 2 props. Not sure the cover is off the same quality right now.

Sorry Sarrie 13 September, 2020 17:10
Quote:
GazzaFez
Quote:
Poking With Sticks
Quote:
AB

Did you really need to bite? Honestly? If you don't know what fishing in a barrel is, you've just neatly demonstrated it.

GazzaFez with respect I think you might direct your ire towards our own AB who initiated matters unnecessarily IMHO. The game is an important one btw as it's the future playing out early. COYS

My wife and I are on the verge of splitting up because of my obsession with rugby.
I've decided to give it one last try......

Sarriebone 13 September, 2020 17:15
HT 15-5, tries from Segun and Morris. not a bad start

Coughie 13 September, 2020 18:19
The Exeter props have been absolutely dominated in the second half - what a pair of blancmanges!

Even allowing for the strength of Ibuanokpe their technique is poor.

~ You never knowingly let the facts get in the way of the story. ~

Sarriebone 13 September, 2020 18:21
FT Saracens 40-17 Chiefs

The Bard 13 September, 2020 18:23
Just a thought. Are we keeping the first 15 isolated to prevent the risk of covid positive test? If one of them went down would the rest be quarantined?

dirtybertie 13 September, 2020 18:43
That was an enjoyable game of rugby. Great to see so many youngsters looking comfortable at this level. Tom Whiteley had a good game and was impressed with Juan Pablo and Big Josh

OldMarovian 13 September, 2020 18:48
Good game and that's very encouraging for the future.

I wasn't really familair with Venter but if he is the player we got when Weise decided to be a Shark I think we've traded up in a big way.

Really well played lads.

ComeOnSarries 13 September, 2020 19:44
Far more enjoyable than I expected and Sarries were simply too street smart for Exeter. Certainly bodes well for next season and a few of the players on show could yet be stars of the future. A good word for the ref also who I thought also had an excellent game .

fatheralice 13 September, 2020 20:42
Quote:
Coughie
The Exeter props have been absolutely dominated in the second half - what a pair of blancmanges!
Even allowing for the strength of Ibuanokpe their technique is poor.

They are both Uni lads! Give them a break (Sm100)

OldMarovian 13 September, 2020 20:56
Quote:
fatheralice
They are both Uni lads! Give them a break (Sm100)

Agreed and the starters were very good until our subs came on and made the difference.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net