Latest news:
New Page 1

Welcome to The Saracens. Our message board is primarily a place for Saracens fans to discuss our club. We welcome posters from other clubs as long as their posts are respectful and not repetitive and our guidelines are followed. To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE,
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
"I COULDN'T BE MORE PROUD OF MY TEAM" Brad Barritt

Latest: LEINSTER 17:25 SARACENS
Next: Sat 26th Sept 13.00 Racing 92, European Champions Cup 1/2 Final La Defense Arena

Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: BT Sport/Channel 4 Sat 26th Sept Racing 92 12.30

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Lawes Law
Discussion started by siNBin , 16 September, 2020 22:53
Lawes Law
siNBin 16 September, 2020 22:53
Really interesting interview with Courtney in today's Telegraph.

Re: Lawes Law
TonyTaff 17 September, 2020 16:34
It is indeed.

A breath of fresh air. He doesn't wish to be branded as 'anti-woke', but his willingness, to speak contrarily to the orthodoxy that seems recently to have consumed the country, is most welcome.

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication.

(*) As at October 31, 2018.

boomer! 17 September, 2020 18:31
Quote:
TonyTaff
It is indeed.
A breath of fresh air. He doesn't wish to be branded as 'anti-woke', but his willingness, to speak contrarily to the orthodoxy that seems recently to have consumed the country, is most welcome.

My 'E' in GCE English Language hardly qualifies me to comment but is it really orthodoxy? I'm not sure those that self identify as theWoke follow a generally accepted theory.

Orthodoxy = authorized or generally accepted theory, doctrine, or practice.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

TonyTaff 17 September, 2020 19:22
Quote:
boomer!
Quote:
TonyTaff
It is indeed.

My 'E' in GCE English Language hardly qualifies me to comment but is it really orthodoxy? I'm not sure those that self identify as theWoke follow a generally accepted theory.

Ha ha! I am sure that you are more literate than that GCE suggests!
Not for the first time, I may be 'elastic' in my use of vocabulary. Would you accept that 'widely'' accepted might be an appropriate meaning?

I have two offspring, in their 20's, who each hold master's degrees, who were denied the opportunity to hear, and debate with, those with which they disagree, whilst they were studying. I find that, among their peer group, the attribute is widely accepted.

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication.

(*) As at October 31, 2018.

CT 18 September, 2020 02:07
He certainly gets a lot of interviews for someone who feels they can't express their opinion.

jonnybrowne 19 September, 2020 13:20
Quote:
TonyTaff
Quote:
boomer!
Quote:
TonyTaff
It is indeed.

Ha ha! I am sure that you are more literate than that GCE suggests!
Not for the first time, I may be 'elastic' in my use of vocabulary. Would you accept that 'widely'' accepted might be an appropriate meaning?

I have two offspring, in their 20's, who each hold master's degrees, who were denied the opportunity to hear, and debate with, those with which they disagree, whilst they were studying. I find that, among their peer group, the attribute is widely accepted.

I’d agree with you, TT - the freedom to disagree and debate, and respect for others’ right to have a different opinion to yours, are both fundamental to maintaining an open and tolerant society. I’d say it’s an orthodoxy, or
worse, if only one set of opinions is deemed to be acceptable for public expression.

By the way, “authorised” is not spelt with a “z”.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 19/09/2020 13:40 by jonnybrowne.

tpr's headmistress 19 September, 2020 17:25

I think either is acceptable JB. Personally I hate the use of a 'z' instead of an 's' in certain spellings, but then I'm ancient.

North Americans use authorized, authorizing, authorizes, and authorization, while English speakers from outside the U.S. and Canada use authorised, authorising, authorises, and authorisation. Authorize is the older form, and it was standard even in British English until the second half of the 20th century.

backdoc 19 September, 2020 17:58
Anyone interested in the subject of western liberalism and 'wokeness' should look up the work of Thomas Sowell, either in book form or his interviews on youtube. He is a black academic from the USA.

jonnybrowne 19 September, 2020 20:01
Quote:
tpr's headmistress
I think either is acceptable JB. Personally I hate the use of a 'z' instead of an 's' in certain spellings, but then I'm ancient.

North Americans use authorized, authorizing, authorizes, and authorization, while English speakers from outside the U.S. and Canada use authorised, authorising, authorises, and authorisation. Authorize is the older form, and it was standard even in British English until the second half of the 20th century.

I agree they’re interchangeable but speaking personally I would never regard the use of “z” as acceptable - but that’s just me and I was perhaps being a bit pompous!

I am pretty ancient myself by the way....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net