Latest news:
New Page 1

Welcome to The Saracens. Our message board is primarily a place for Saracens fans to discuss our club. We welcome posters from other clubs as long as their posts are respectful and not repetitive and our guidelines are followed. To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE,
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
"THERE HAVE BEEN MANY PLAYERS WHO HAVE BLED BLACK AND RED
OVER THE YEARS BUT NONE MORESO THAN BRAD BARRITT
THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES SKIPS"

Latest: SARACENS 17:17 BATH
Next: your guess is as good as mine

Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV:

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Irish Times & Smally
Discussion started by GerryK , 17 September, 2020 07:49
Irish Times & Smally
GerryK 17 September, 2020 07:49
A libelous and poor analysis by Gavin Cummiskey (whoever he is) of all that Mark has achieved with Sarries over the past few years.
If you don't wish to get angry don't read the article

Re: Irish Times & Smally
jonnybrowne 17 September, 2020 08:31
Quote:
GerryK
A libelous and poor analysis by Gavin Cummiskey (whoever he is) of all that Mark has achieved with Sarries over the past few years.

After all the sanctimonious claptrap weíve had to put up with over the past year, I think a lot
of us are past getting angry over whatís written about Sarries :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/09/2020 08:55 by jonnybrowne.

Marlow Nick 17 September, 2020 10:44
Quote:
GerryK

Exactly which lines in the article do you find to be libellous?]

I can understand your frustration with journalists continuing to scratch this itch. I could understand a feeling that an Irish journalist should only compare Saracens' performances in Europe against teams like Leinster who clearly have financial and match-scheduling advantages Saracens could only dream of. But I cannot see how you find any of the statements about McCall's role in the tainted period of Saracens' history libellous.

McCall did a fantastic job of turning a large group of talented players into a European-cup-winning force. For that he should be congratulated but it is beyond belief to pretend that he was naÔve enough not to question how his squad of superstars could fit within the English Premiership rules.

jonnybrowne 17 September, 2020 12:20
Quote:
Marlow Nick
Quote:
GerryK

Exactly which lines in the article do you find to be libellous?]

I can understand your frustration with journalists continuing to scratch this itch. I could understand a feeling that an Irish journalist should only compare
Saracens' performances in Europe against teams like Leinster who clearly have financial and match-scheduling advantages Saracens could only dream of. But I cannot see how you find any of the statements about McCall's role in the tainted period of Saracens' history libellous.

McCall did a fantastic job of turning a large group of talented players into a European-cup-winning force. For that he should be congratulated but it is beyond belief to pretend that he was naÔve enough not to question how his squad of superstars could fit within the English Premiership rules.

Iíve just read it while wondering what to have for lunch.

No startling revelations, and a few old quotes from Rob Baxter. I canít be bothered to give it any headspace, and I suspect Smally, if heís bothered to read it, will have started yawning halfway through.

As I said earlier, a lot of us are well past getting angry about stuff like this.

Right, thatís enough energy wasted typing this. Turkey and bacon sandwich I think...

Leinster Lady 17 September, 2020 15:57
Don't let that article annoy you. Very few Leinster fans ever read Cummiskey's articles. He is a fanatical Munster fan who normally targets Leinster but on this occasion is targeting Mark McCall. Most of his analysis is pure nonsense.

TonyTaff 17 September, 2020 16:16
Quote:
Leinster Lady
Don't let that article annoy you. Very few Leinster fans ever read Cummiskey's articles. He is a fanatical Munster fan who normally targets Leinster but on this occasion is targeting Mark McCall. Most of his analysis is pure nonsense.

Thanks

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication.

(*) As at October 31, 2018.

jonnybrowne 17 September, 2020 16:19
Quote:
Leinster Lady

Thanks for the heads-up - seems he doesnít like Ulster much either...

ceemec 17 September, 2020 18:05
Quote:
Leinster Lady

Sorry, that's not true at all. He's a clown but he loves Leinster. He attended one of the big Leinster feeder schools and is a total Leinster sycophant. He has very limited time for Munster at best and rarely misses an opportunity to compare them in an unfavourable light to his home team.

hertsman 18 September, 2020 06:52
Turkey & bacon eh? Choice prompted by an opinion on the article? Could have been something with a bit of sharp pickle maybe.

jonnybrowne 18 September, 2020 07:05
Quote:
hertsman
Turkey & bacon eh? Choice prompted by an opinion on the article? Could have been something with a bit of sharp pickle maybe.

Hahaha. Iím saving the sharp pickle (a good stinging piccalilli in fact) for todayís lunch after reading that rambling and slightly paranoid quote from Rob Baxter in the other post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/09/2020 07:36 by jonnybrowne.

Sorry Sarrie 19 September, 2020 20:21
We did our talking on the field of play as usual. The Irish Times is fish and chip paper now.

My wife and I are on the verge of splitting up because of my obsession with rugby.
I've decided to give it one last try......

Maroon Tyke 20 September, 2020 08:57
Cummiskey's report on the match here. At least this time some proper journalism!

You can take the man out of Yorkshire but you can't take Yorkshire out of the man.

whyisitnevereasy 20 September, 2020 11:39
[www.irishtimes.com]

And another good article...

Thats Life..... quality.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 20/09/2020 11:42 by whyisitnevereasy.

TonyTaff 20 September, 2020 15:19
Has Neil Francis had his say?

There's nothing like well thought out analysis and unpartisan reportage ...

... and Neil's output is nothing like ...

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication.

(*) As at October 31, 2018.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net