Latest news:
New Page 1

Welcome to The Saracens. Our message board is primarily a place for Saracens fans to discuss our club. We welcome posters from other clubs as long as their posts are respectful and not repetitive and our guidelines are followed. To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE,
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
"THERE HAVE BEEN MANY PLAYERS WHO HAVE BLED BLACK AND RED
OVER THE YEARS BUT NONE MORESO THAN BRAD BARRITT
THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES SKIPS"

Latest: SARACENS 17:17 BATH
Next: your guess is as good as mine

Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV:

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Does anyone love Sarries?
Discussion started by Bram1ey_Road , 20 September, 2020 07:13
Does anyone love Sarries?
Bram1ey_Road 20 September, 2020 07:13
Mick Cleary in the Telegraph today says:
‘Saracens will never be loved’.
He also speaks of a ‘dodgy chequebook’...

Get over yourself Mick.

Re: Does anyone love Sarries?
Sarakene 20 September, 2020 07:47
My strong advice is not to read these jokers especially if you have to pay to do so. They know no more than you or I. In another place ( but for free) The Daily Fail report makes much of a “ late hit” by Country on Johnny S and Billy saying to the same you need to go for an HIA mate. Anyone who was actually watching the game knows that the penalty was given for a very doubtful “high tackle“ (which Sexton milked like a soccer player hoping to get a yellow card) before miraculously recovering and provoking Billy’s comment.

Eric Browett 20 September, 2020 08:01
But Cleary is right.

We will never be loved; the most we can hope for is grudging respect.

And we did have a dodgy cheque book.

It's us who have to come to terms with it.

Duckonstilts 20 September, 2020 08:51
Yeh sorry, sport fans have a low to tolerance for cheats.

Quins used a blood capsule to make an injury replacement and it took 5+ years for people to let that go.

Darraghgirl 20 September, 2020 09:04
Stuart Barnes in the Sunday Times “if Saracens did bring the sport into disrepute off the field, they atoned for it in Dubllin”

OldMarovian 20 September, 2020 09:10
Quote:
Eric Browett

+1 Eric.

All we can do going forward is continue to love our own club and hope that our rugby, our commitement to full compliance and the close scrutiny of our accounts allow us to make a case on a level playing field.

For some it will never be enough and for others we'll be judged on our merits going forward as many have with the win over Leinster. Winning sides are rarely popular with those outside their support base and I can live with that as long as the success and not the manner in which it was achieved is the issue.

Sorry Sarrie 20 September, 2020 09:28
This is well worth a read from Irish Times just before yesterday's epic encounter. We should only care about loving and supporting our own club - what others think is a sideshow. If you need to be loved by others sport is not the place to be!!
[www.irishtimes.com]

My wife and I are on the verge of splitting up because of my obsession with rugby.
I've decided to give it one last try......

stuart66 20 September, 2020 09:42
No love for London or any team from their but love to watch you play your visit each year is a treat to look forward too. the premiship without the sarries is a joke

1876-Fez 20 September, 2020 12:14
Ahhhh I see the same old haters are creeping back onto this and others boards.... our winning big games with great performances seems to do that!!

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

boomer! 20 September, 2020 12:30
Quote:
Bram1ey_Road
Does anyone love Sarries?’...

Apart from Saracens fan, no.

But that is not a recent thing.

We are not a 'real rugby team.'

We are on par with a pub team of working class oiks, that have aspirations above our station, playing on a council pitch, where dog crap needs to be removed before a game, and only 2 men and a dog watch us.

Oh and we've won the Champions Cup three times.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

TOKS 20 September, 2020 14:44
I love Sarries.

So do the blokes I sit with.

As do all the other folks i come across at Allianz Park.

I don't really give a monkey's about anyone else.

Dave Berko 20 September, 2020 14:50
Quote:
TOKS
I love Sarries.

Agreed. Must be said that a lot of 'others' have been very complimentary. As you'd hope and expect. Those that aren't are entitled to their views. As I posted on the Wasps board, "there's more bitter on here than I can knock back on a Saturday'!!

Sarriebone 20 September, 2020 15:14
Quote:
Dave Berko
Quote:
TOKS
I love Sarries.

Agreed. Must be said that a lot of 'others' have been very complimentary. As you'd hope and expect. Those that aren't are entitled to their views. As I posted on the Wasps board, "there's more bitter on here than I can knock back on a Saturday'!!
It has surprised me that despite the cheating we still manage to be less hated than Leinster

jonnybrowne 20 September, 2020 18:17
Quote:
OldMarovian
Quote:
Eric Browett

+1 Eric.

All we can do going forward is continue to love our own club and hope that our rugby, our commitement to full compliance and the close scrutiny of our accounts allow us to
make a case on a level playing field.

For some it will never be enough and for others we'll be judged on our merits going forward as many have with the win over Leinster. Winning sides are rarely popular with those outside their support base and I can live with that as long as the success and not the manner in which it was achieved is the issue.

Completely agree with all of that, OM.

I’ve been very pleased, and heartened, to read the large number of messages of congratulation from outside our support base, some from perhaps surprising quarters.

While, to put it mildly, we’ll never be anyone’s second favourite club - and that’s OK, I can live with that - I hope (perhaps naively) that we will in time at least earn a bit of respect back for how we first deal with our self-inflicted issues and going on from that how we make the journey back to the standing in the game we all believe our club and its wonderful people deserve.

I couldn’t be more proud of the team’s performance yesterday, and Brad’s words afterwards sum up why I and thousands of others take such pride in being associated with the club.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 20/09/2020 19:42 by jonnybrowne.

Prop Joe 20 September, 2020 19:49
Well played yesterday from a Bris supporter. Magnificent win that I thought was beyond even you guys. Going to be tough against Racing but if you beat them and meet Exeter in the Final hope you win.

RobV 20 September, 2020 20:21
I think part of the slight softening of opinions evident in all the messages of goodwill is through managing to win despite our squad being notably "normalised" over the course of the last few months. Had we been battered, I think many would have taken more of a "just proves the salary discretions were the reason for their success" type or stance. We've beaten arguably the best team in Europe despite everything the team has been through. Shows there's more to this team than a dodgy cheque book.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/09/2020 20:22 by RobV.

ajack 20 September, 2020 21:15
I am not sure any supporters love any club other than the ones they support. What you did with the salary cap will make you unpopular with many and understandably so. However I also think any real rugby fans will he very impressed with the culture you have built and the quality of the players you have developed.

siNBin 20 September, 2020 22:04
In general, I thought Mike Clearys article today was positive. I liked "Without ego and spurred by ideals of mateship, Saracens deserve the rugby world's respect".

The cheating thing isn't going to go away until the next Teams drama comes along. In the meantime, I hope the vocal minority don't realise that all of the energy they are providing, is being absorbed and used by our team to burst through their teams defences.

Let's hope that the guys can Get the intensity up to yesterdays levels next week.

siNBin 21 September, 2020 10:58
Brian Moore was also very complimentary about the guys in this morning's Telegraph.

AnneGran 21 September, 2020 13:48
I love my club and I always will. Having retired to Ireland in 2015 I have returned 3 or 4 times a year for games, until this year, ( as an "at risk" I will not be travelling until we have a vaccine). I live in Munster and my Sarries face masks, Sarries car stickers & team shirts draw friendly funny jokes and comments from Munster fans. I have also received many congratulations on Saturdays performance and result. Very proud & loud.

AnneGran

OldMarovian 21 September, 2020 21:23
Not worth a new thread but some interesting chat from both Burger and Brits two Saracens we loved:
[www.youtube.com]

Roderick Flashheart 28 September, 2020 13:45
Clearly it's all jealously as we made a record with 'Right Said Fred'.....

- checks social media from weekend -

Oh (Sm147)

Roger G 28 September, 2020 16:08
Looking round the comments on other boards about the Racing match I don't think anyone is going to love Sarries for many years. Even with a demonstrably diminished squad, and some very promising (and probably not highly paid) youngsters and other unknowns, many people believe we're still over the cap. Prepare for a hostile decade, especially if we ever see anything like the same level of success as the last few years.

Roderick Flashheart 28 September, 2020 16:17
Let's face it- everyone loved us when they could pop to VR on a Sunday and pick up and win before tea-time.

As a team, is our aim 'to be loved?' People can have a 'favourite second team' but they don't tend to be the best performing ones.

I think I agree with Eric at the top of the page, 'We will never be loved; the most we can hope for is grudging respect'

South Beds Sarrie 28 September, 2020 16:38
Quote:
Roger G
Looking round the comments on other boards about the Racing match I don't think anyone is going to love Sarries for many years. Even with a demonstrably diminished squad, and some very promising (and probably not highly paid) youngsters and other unknowns, many people believe we're still over the cap. Prepare for a hostile decade, especially if we ever see anything like the same level of success as the last few years.
To be honest, at the moment I'd be quite happy with a hostile decade if it entailed actually going to live games again.

Dave Berko 28 September, 2020 17:02
Quote:
South Beds Sarrie
Quote:
Roger G
To be honest, at the moment I'd be quite happy with a hostile decade if it entailed actually going to live games again.

Fortunately any hostility tends to be from a 'select few' on message boards, never at matches. So when we can go back, the atmosphere will be good again. That's very pleasing.

Dolph42 28 September, 2020 17:10
Quote:
Dave Berko
Fortunately any hostility tends to be from a 'select few' on message boards, never at matches. So when we can go back, the atmosphere will be good again. That's very pleasing.

I'd agree with that. For the few that are hostile or bitter about Saracens, it says more about their character that they invest negativity in a team they don't support.

Chris1850 28 September, 2020 17:59
I admire the rugby Sarries have played over the last few seasons and I admire the on the field culture and winning mentality of the players, coaches and club as a whole. I have also enjoyed meeting many Sarries supporters over the years and recognise and respect the fact that the huge majority of them are upset and embarrassed about the salary cap debacle. I genuinely hope that the Club can put this behind them and compete again at the top level in the Premiership and Europe.

I have thought long and hard however about what happened and what needs to happen going forward and I still come back to the same conclusion. That is, that I find it extremely difficult to forgive and forget the 5 years of cheating as long as Wray is involved in the club at all. I realise that he underwrites the finances and in the current situation, for him to leave would be disastrous for the club financially. I therefore don't know what the answer is but to answer the question in the OP, I would say 'No. Not outside the Club, as long as Wray remains associated with it in any way.'

ROLLO 28 September, 2020 19:27
I think until your DoR, coaches and some of the players acknowledge that you cheated it is gong ot be very difficult.

Barty II 29 September, 2020 07:19
Quote:
ROLLO
I think until your DoR, coaches and some of the players acknowledge that you cheated it is gong ot be very difficult.

I don't like rolling this out as it makes it look as though I'm dismissing or downplaying what happened - I'm not, we've been rightly punished (can argue over the exact punishment for all eternity but still right that we got one) particularly given the club's defence of its actions were utterly embarrassing. However....

Given that the official panel findings into the situation state that the breaches weren't a deliberate attempt to cheat the cap, whether you agree with that or not, the club clearly won't be coming out afterwards and saying no that's wrong, we cheated.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net