Latest news:
New Page 1

Welcome to The Saracens. Our message board is primarily a place for Saracens fans to discuss our club. We welcome posters from other clubs as long as their posts are respectful and not repetitive and our guidelines are followed. To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE,
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
"THERE HAVE BEEN MANY PLAYERS WHO HAVE BLED BLACK AND RED
OVER THE YEARS BUT NONE MORESO THAN BRAD BARRITT
THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES SKIPS"

Latest: SARACENS 17:17 BATH
Next: your guess is as good as mine

Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV:

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Owen Farrell for No 12
Discussion started by Duncan96 , 28 September, 2020 05:04
Owen Farrell for No 12
Duncan96 28 September, 2020 05:04
Goodness how we will miss Brad. But with Dom Morris emerging as a better 13 than Eliot Daly, who in turn is a very good full back, and, dare I whisper it, Alex Goode at least as good as Owen at 10 (certainly a better finisher in that position) would we be best off playing Owen at 12 (when and if we get promoted).

Re: Owen Farrell for No 12
scrappydoo 28 September, 2020 05:26
Quote:
Duncan96
Goodness how we will miss Brad. But with Dom Morris emerging as a better 13 than Eliot Daly, who in turn is a very good full back, and, dare I whisper it, Alex Goode at least as good as Owen at 10 (certainly a better finisher in that position) would we be best off playing Owen at 12 (when and if we get promoted).

I too felt were exposed when Brad went off. Also we have Tompkins returning for the 2021/22 season who was being touted as Brad's eventual successor at 12 and also Loz was also being mentioned as a 12.

Duncan96 28 September, 2020 05:30
Both of whom are superb but I feel we lack a bit of punch when either of them plays 12. That might be because Any one suffers when compared to the sheer power of Brad though

beshocked 28 September, 2020 08:39
Barritt is so difficult to replace because he's the defensive leader as well as the best leader at the club.

Barritt's style is very rare.

Every team needs an organiser in their backline. Also his style of play is so important to stopping teams on the gainline.

Saracens will need to change their style in an non Barritt future as well as Wigglesworth actually.

Probably won't find a better box kicker than Wigglesworth.

It's really up to the youngsters to do that but things do look promising.

Barty II 28 September, 2020 10:09
I often struggle with the "how do we replace <insert legend here>" discussions. Truth is 9 times out of 10 you don't. They are/were a one of a kind elite player, and you have to just adjust your style to the next cab off the rank. Hopefully we can compare the success of future players to the benchmark set by the likes of Barritt and Wigglesworth, but pressure shouldn't be on them to exactly match their characteristics.

beshocked 28 September, 2020 14:42
Quote:
Barty II
I often struggle with the "how do we replace <insert legend here>" discussions. Truth is 9 times out of 10 you don't. They are/were a one of a kind elite player, and you have to just adjust your style to the next cab off the rank. Hopefully we can compare the success of future players to the benchmark set by the likes of Barritt and Wigglesworth, but pressure shouldn't be on them to exactly match their characteristics.

That's true. Brits is an extremely different hooker to George both with different skillsets.

Saracens don't have a professor of the lineout anymore but Itoje is a different type of lock with different skills.

Just need to keep handing that torch on. Wigglesworth himself was not Bracken. Wray is not Hill and yet Sarries have thrived.

Wray is Mr consistent. Joubert was such a different 8 to Billy V.

People hate Saracens partially because they have been so good at developing players.

Malins and Earl tearing it up for Bristol sums it up really.

If you develop players well unfortunately it means they want to be paid more.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net