Latest news:
New Page 1

Welcome to The Saracens. Our message board is primarily a place for Saracens fans to discuss our club. We welcome posters from other clubs as long as their posts are respectful and not repetitive and our guidelines are followed. To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE,
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
"THERE HAVE BEEN MANY PLAYERS WHO HAVE BLED BLACK AND RED
OVER THE YEARS BUT NONE MORESO THAN BRAD BARRITT
THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES SKIPS"

Latest: SARACENS 17:17 BATH
Next: your guess is as good as mine

Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV:

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Saracens May Take Legal Action
Discussion started by siNBin , 03 October, 2020 22:01
Saracens May Take Legal Action
siNBin 03 October, 2020 22:01
Article in today Telegraph says that we are planning to take legal action if there is a danger of being trapped in Premiership.

Quote: Saracens board member Vic Luck told The Sunday Telegraph that they have drawn up contingency plans, which could involve regulatory and legal challenges, to avoid being exiled from the top flight for another year.

Re: Saracens May Take Legal Action
nedrichards 03 October, 2020 22:10
I assume you mean trapped outside the premiership ;-) although trapped in! maybe!

Barty II 04 October, 2020 08:10
As much as it pains me to say, I hope we don't go down this route. Only makes us look worse.

ninjafez 04 October, 2020 08:35
I can understand what Vic is trying to say bit I think it's better expressed incase ringfencing is proposed next year. If the championship is not played next season I can't see us not coming up to the prem as we are still 'J' share holders

Ninjafez - supporting Sarries and cleaning their signs since 2006!

OldMarovian 04 October, 2020 11:48
Quote:
Barty II
As much as it pains me to say, I hope we don't go down this route. Only makes us look worse.

Is that really important in terms of the viability of the club going forwards?

Right now it looks very likely that even if the Championship goes ahead it won't be till next year so that's three months without competitive rugby for all our players at best.
Given the new Premiership season will have started by then there's also no likely way back in for this season if the Championship is simply called off next season which leaves us competely out of competitive rugby for a season. The chances of hanging onto our players in that eventuality get exponentially smaller.

This isn't a "suck it an see" type situation we have to have a plan beforee this all happens and most importantly we need to be ahead of the game if PRL try to close the league with us out of it. I know we are share-holders and so that shouldn't be possible but neither should relegating us when it wasn't in the Laws.

I don't care how we look I care that we survive.

Noir 04 October, 2020 12:33
This just seems to be the prudent actions of a responsible Board.

We are relegated, but with the probability (recognising the nature of the squad retained) of promotion back to the Premiership for the 21/22 season. To have to suffer two seasons outside the Premiership because the 20/21 Championship season is abandoned, or becomes mis-aligned with the Premiership season, is absolutely worthy of legal scrutiny and contingency planning.

The Board are simply seeking to protect the business and, as a consequence, the livelihoods of the players, coaches and staff. Nothing wrong with that.

Roger G 04 October, 2020 12:56
I suspect there will be many twists and turns in the coming months, and I will be very surprised if the 12 clubs currently scheduled to play the next Prem season are all still viable by the time the following season starts if things continue as they are. I've said elsewhere I wouldn't be surprised if there is a whole new, trimmed down, structure across Europe by this time next year, maybe even a pan-European league of some sort.

GazzaFez 04 October, 2020 13:34
Quote:
siNBin
Article in today Telegraph says that we are planning to take legal action if there is a danger of being trapped in Premiership.
Quote: Saracens board member Vic Luck told The Sunday Telegraph that they have drawn up contingency plans, which could involve regulatory and legal challenges, to avoid being exiled from the top flight for another year.

Quote:
nedrichards
I assume you mean trapped outside the premiership ;-) although trapped in! maybe!

Yes that made me chuckle as well.

The actual wording is:

"Saracens will take pre-emptive action to ensure they are not stuck in limbo if the 2020/21 Championship season is postponed".

Although you could well be forgiven for confusing the Premiership with limbo at the moment!

TonyTaff 04 October, 2020 13:37
Quote:
GazzaFez
Quote:
siNBin

Quote:
nedrichards

Yes that made me chuckle as well.

The actual wording is:

"Saracens will take pre-emptive action to ensure they are not stuck in limbo if the 2020/21 Championship season is postponed".

Although you could well be forgiven for confusing the Premiership with limbo at the moment!

It's a very low bar winking smiley

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication.

(*) As at October 31, 2018.

scrappydoo 04 October, 2020 13:40
Quote:
Roger G
I suspect there will be many twists and turns in the coming months, and I will be very surprised if the 12 clubs currently scheduled to play the next Prem season are all still viable by the time the following season starts if things continue as they are. I've said elsewhere I wouldn't be surprised if there is a whole new, trimmed down, structure across Europe by this time next year, maybe even a pan-European league of some sort.

If you look at a club like Tigers who rely on their significant attendance, with no fans allowed they are suffering which resulted in the much publicised saga with players on wage reductions. I believe they have already made a number of non rugby related staff redundant and they are committed to big building projects like the new hotel and car park. If they don't get fans back in soon, they will be my bet on who will fold first.

I don't see their current owners digging deep considering they tried to sell but no one wanted to meet their asking price.

Even moany Tony was talking about feeling the pinch if people aren't allowed back into Sandy Park and conferencing facility.

GazzaFez 04 October, 2020 13:47
Quote:
TonyTaff
Quote:
GazzaFez

It's a very low bar winking smiley

....and it's not like anyone's bending over backwards to help us. (Sm14)

TonyTaff 04 October, 2020 14:18
I have read the Torygraph article. Vic Luck (great name!) says that, as well as pay cuts, players have deferred wages above £75k (I presume that is per annum, rather than per week!)

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication.

(*) As at October 31, 2018.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net