Latest news:
New Page 1

Welcome to The Saracens. Our message board is primarily a place for Saracens fans to discuss our club. We welcome posters from other clubs as long as their posts are respectful and not repetitive and our guidelines are followed. To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE,
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:

Latest: SARACENS 17:17 BATH
Next: your guess is as good as mine

Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV:

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Allianz Premier 15s to start
Discussion started by GazzaFez , 06 October, 2020 09:21
Allianz Premier 15s to start
GazzaFez 06 October, 2020 09:21
Allianz are the new sponsors of the women's game.

Adapted laws to reduce face to face contact. No scrums for a knock on, no scrum option for a penalty. Replaced by free kick and a penalty kick respectively. Crucially there will be no CV19 testing.
Each half reduced to 35 minutes, presumably to compensate for the increased speed of the game and reduction in stoppages. Not convinced by the need for this last change though.

Makes me wonder if this will be the model for the Championship.


Re: Allianz Premier 15s to start
Barty II 06 October, 2020 09:34
Reasoning behind the change to 35 minutes is exactly what you assume. Bear in mind that although most of the players are still well trained athletes, they're also mostly balancing playing rugby alongside their paid career so as a massive generalisation they won't match the fitness of their full-time counterparts so its likely to limit the chance of the last 10 minutes of the game being played with 80% of the team on their knees and the remaining 20% running rings round them

Re: Allianz Premier 15s to start
nedrichards 06 October, 2020 12:39
Good to see that Allianz are still supporting the game as a whole. Given that it's all behind closed doors I didn't see any mention of streaming, even on the RFU youtube channel as I've seen them do before, which is a shame.

Re: Allianz Premier 15s to start
ninjafez 06 October, 2020 12:40
wouldn't be surprised if this was being tested purely for this reason

Ninjafez - supporting Sarries and cleaning their signs since 2006!

Re: Allianz Premier 15s to start
Barty II 06 October, 2020 12:47
Inside track is that there is a broadcaster potentially interested in providing coverage but unlikely to be in place for the first matches if so. Whether they might be able to do a YouTube stream or something to start with remains to be seen.

Unfortunately the Fezcast has not made the shortlist for media accreditation either!

Re: Allianz Premier 15s to start
GazzaFez 06 October, 2020 15:23
Sadly I feel money is behind these proposals; the cost of testing being the main obstacle.

Having thought about it, I can't see this model working for the Championship. I think testing will be required and if it is, I see no reason to adopt the modified rules, which are IMHO pure tokenism in the first place. You may remove nine or ten set piece scrums from a game, but you cannot prevent any number of rucks and mauls in a game which have just as much close contact, let alone tackling, during the normal course of a game.

Also, I'm not convinced that the health authorities are necessarily going to allow matches without CV19 testing. I'm sure this must have been run past them at this stage........... err actually, no I'm not.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing