Latest news:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Season tickets
Discussion started by terracehugger (IP Logged), 28 June, 2019 07:29
terracehugger
terracehugger
28 June, 2019 07:29
I have again renewed my season ticket, but with some trepidation, as we undoubtedly have the most ineffectual 9/10/12 axis within the entire premiership.

Imho our incumbents would struggle to get a game with any other team aiming for success and recognition in the league.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
28 June, 2019 07:38
ĎUndoubtedlyí? Besides, we came 6th with that ineffectual axis.

Itís not the players, as they have played very well for other teams, it has been the way they are playing together for Bath on many occasions. Hopefully this long pre-season with them all together will address that and they can hit the premier fit and firing.

Time will tell, but you certainly werenít the only one teetering at renewal time.

[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

Johnnybaby
Johnnybaby
28 June, 2019 16:20
I was the same ......... did not renew until we had secured Champions Cup Rugby. One of my buddies gave up the ghost, which is a shame.
It was as much to do with the rip off pricing of Beer at The Rec and £6.00 a pint for The Clash ( I wont be doing that again) as the awful Rugby we had to endure for the majority of the season.
Blackadder was a disaster...... great bloke but bought nothing once Matson had gone back home.
I can only hope we have a better season. Don't mind losing (to much) as long as I am entertained.
I live in hope yawning smiley)

DaveOfTrow
GrumpyDave
28 June, 2019 17:34
#Metoo (oo-er)...
But more to do with the premiership becoming increasingly dull. Maybe Iím just jaded after decades of watching but really havent enjoyed the prem all that much in recent seasons. Champs cup, however, is just great sport, Freddie goofing notwithstanding, so that swung it.
Isnít goofing a great word BTW? A tad American maybe, but still...

TomReagan
TomReagan
28 June, 2019 19:37
Clearly some of you are quite objective/rational/analytical when choosing whether or not to renew season tickets. Most of my mates have a season ticket for some side or other and just renew because it's what you do. Most of us moan about the quality of sport we watch, and none of us support a successful side- even my rich lawyer mate who has two season tickets for Arsenal is finally discovering what it's like watching a side that's mediocre and (at the moment at least), unsuccessful. To most of us it's about habit, having something structured in your diary to plan around and loyalty, however stupidly misguided that last reason is.

BBandW
BBandW
29 June, 2019 10:33
We had 2 season tickets for 30 years and rarely missed a home game over that time despite living 2 hours drive from Bath.

2 seasons ago we thought long and hard about renewing and in the end decided not to for the following reasons
- more and more games being played on Fridays and Sundays ( just not feasible for us)
- top players away for most of the season
- less and less entertaining rugby
- repeated unsavoury off the field goings on

the final straw was when I emailed the club explaining that it was my wife's 60th birthday, that her contact with the club went back to when she helped her mum make the payers teas back in the sixties, that her dad, grandad, cousin and uncle all played for Bath and she had been a life long supporter. I said it would be nice if maybe the club could send her a card for her 60th or maybe a happy birthday email. Never even got a response - summed up the club's attitude to supporters I felt - income fodder only.

We did intend to save the ST money and have a couple of weekend breaks on match days, but never got round to it and have to say never missed it. Plenty of other things to do in life.

A bit of a sad story, but one brought on by the club I feel.

TomReagan
TomReagan
29 June, 2019 11:47
A big shame BB&W. When I gave up playing sport at a vaguely meaningful level I thought it would leave a big hole in my life, but it didn't. As you say, always other things to replace it. It's why I don't think about renewing my season ticket, because in many ways the cons outweigh the pros these days

Bath Supporter Jack
Bath Supporter Jack
29 June, 2019 12:03
Renewed my two some time ago.

Never considered not renewing.

It's part of the winter ritual and so much more than the ninety minutes on a Saturday (or Friday night or Sunday afternoon!)

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k
29 June, 2019 19:20
Quote:
TomReagan
Clearly some of you are quite objective/rational/analytical when choosing whether or not to renew season tickets. Most of my mates have a season ticket for some side or other and just renew because it's what you do. Most of us moan about the quality of sport we watch, and none of us support a successful side- even my rich lawyer mate who has two season tickets for Arsenal is finally discovering what it's like watching a side that's mediocre and (at the moment at least), unsuccessful. To most of us it's about habit, having something structured in your diary to plan around and loyalty, however stupidly misguided that last reason is.

It is what I do even though it can drive me to distraction at times. Champs Cup rugby was a clincher for me though upon reflection would have probably renewed anyway given Mrs C3k enjoys her Saturdays at the Rec. I travel in hope more than expectation and have done so since Bordeaux 1998 and Kingsholm a decade or so later. There is nowhere else to be on matchday other than at the Rec with a full house and hope in your heart as we kick off. I will have to manage my own expectations in 2019/20 and they are a Top 6 finish and home wins in our Champs Cup group...

Adopted players: 2019/20 T Faletau; [19] M V Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

TomReagan
TomReagan
29 June, 2019 21:09
Very reasonable and eminently attainable targets, one would think!

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer
30 June, 2019 08:12
I can quite understand those who live outside Bath &/or have work/family commitments that impinge not retaining a season ticket, something which stopped my son continuing to watch West Ham regularly. I canít, however, understand analysing in detail the make up of the team in detai, such as the 9/10/12 access, & calculating that we are likely to underperform. Sport is not a science, there are so many moving parts, so many things that can go wrong or hopefully right. I think that is part of the fun of it. As for the price of beer, drink less (Sm6)

warrenball
warrenball
30 June, 2019 08:41
I have renewed my season tickets for the past two or three years based partly on the social side and the friends I see when I go to the Rec but also because we have a good spot having been members for more years than I care to remember and if we gave up the tickets we would lose these seats. Like BB&W I am under no illusions that the whole thing changed after professionalism and I feel no more loyalty to the club than they feel to me.

The club assumes the supporters will always be there, the tv and commercial companies see much bigger pickings on the back of gambling and tv rights so have absolutely to interest in the sport which they will manipulate (ring fencing as an example) to suit their own ends.

But at club level they have to beware when the stadium is built and seats more easily available more people will pick and choose their games.

Bath Supporter Jack
Bath Supporter Jack
01 July, 2019 11:13
As they say its the hope that kills you!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
04 July, 2019 11:51
Quite a few must have voted with their feet, as this year is one of the very rare occasions that there are quite a few season tickets (some in really good spots and with upto 6 in a row) on general sale.

When I called the ticket office in May about getting another ticket I was told that there was basically no chance and that I would have to buy a membership so that I could get a look in next year. Glad I didn't - I was able to take my pick of some great viewing points...

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath
04 July, 2019 15:58
Quote:
Bath Supporter Jack

Phew that's lucky then because given that we have no top quality 9/10 or a credible coaching setup there isn't any hope so we all should be ok.

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic
09 July, 2019 09:03
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
Bath Supporter Jack

Phew that's lucky then because given that we have no top quality 9/10 or a credible coaching setup there isn't any hope so we all should be ok.

Let's see, the other first choice 9/10 partnerships in the Premier are;

Spencer and Faz - OK, in a heartbeat
White and Steenson - not on paper but deffo if we had Exes pack
Care and Smith - maybe
Reinach and Biggar - OK, in an even faster heartbeat
Heinz and Cips, maybe
Faf and McGinty - both together? No
Youngs and George - no, just no.
Hougaard and Weir - no.
Randall and Madigan - actually, probably yes.
Robson and Sopoanga - no (at least not so far)

There's only 3 current Prem partnerships that I'd actively have over Chudders and Fred (as Nic White is now back in Oz). Our problem is not 9 and 10, it's connecting them up with everyone else playing in BBW.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2019 09:07 by joethefanatic.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
09 July, 2019 10:27
[quote joethefanatic][quote OutsideBath][quote Bath Supporter Jack]

[/quote]

I think that Rob du Preez will probably be their first choice 10?

[www.salesharks.com]

Randall and Madigan - wasn't Madigan overtaken by Sheedy this year? Either way there are a very lightweight and Green combination at the moment.

Heinz and Cips, maybe?! I would also have GF playing for my team in heartbeat from a talent perspective.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath
09 July, 2019 14:46
Quote:
joethefanatic
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
Bath Supporter Jack

Let's see, the other first choice 9/10 partnerships in the Premier are;

Spencer and Faz - OK, in a heartbeat
White and Steenson - not on paper but deffo if we had Exes pack
Care and Smith - maybe
Reinach and Biggar - OK, in an even faster heartbeat
Heinz and Cips, maybe
Youngs and George - no, just no.
Hougaard and Weir - no.
Randall and Madigan - actually, probably yes.
Robson and Sopoanga - no (at least not so far)

There's only 3 current Prem partnerships that I'd actively have over Chudders and Fred (as Nic White is now back in Oz). Our problem is not 9 and 10, it's connecting them up with everyone else playing in BBW.

Personally I disagree with you and feel we have the weakest 9/10 combination in the PL, but your next point highlights our biggest problem. With no credible coaching setup how are we going to get everyone in BBW connected and playing as an effective unit?

gaz59
gaz59
09 July, 2019 15:23
I don't think we have the weakest 9/10 combo in the league but it certainly ain't top 4 either and nowhere strong enough to compete with best in Europe

Chudleigh really has to up his game considerably, apart from Youngs I'd put all other starting 9s above him on last season's evidence.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
09 July, 2019 15:51
Interesting that the Exe 9 / 10 are relatively weak on paper - assuming that Nic White is still leaving, neither Maunder or Townsend are exactly a Faf or Reinach, Steenson is 89 years old and at 22 Joe Simmonds is still a very young man. It doesn't seem to hold them back much in terms of results.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
09 July, 2019 16:05
Quote:
BathMatt53
Interesting that the Exe 9 / 10 are relatively weak on paper - assuming that Nic White is still leaving, neither Maunder or Townsend are exactly a Faf or Reinach, Steenson is 89 years old and at 22 Joe Simmonds is still a very young man. It doesn't seem to hold them back much in terms of results.

Thought that mid season, not seen anything to say White isn't leaving but did see that Steenson is starting to coach at Plymouth. Is he really 89? So Townsend and Simmonds then?

https://i.ibb.co/Fz0bC3q/Unknown-1.jpg

Beno Obano Age 24 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

MESSAGES->author
hemington
09 July, 2019 17:19
As I have said before (I think) Green was in the same U20s England setup and they tended to swap between them. How come Randall has risen faster and further than Green - opportunity? coaching? natural ability?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
09 July, 2019 17:25
Opportunity I would say. Iím a big fan of Green and look forward to see him getting some game time at the start of the season. Itís a great opportunity for some fringe guys to put their hand up for when the prem games arrive.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
09 July, 2019 17:45
Sorry to say it but I reckon he was given better coaching in Wales where 9's are treasured!

https://i.ibb.co/Fz0bC3q/Unknown-1.jpg

Beno Obano Age 24 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

Kidney Stone
Kidney Stone
15 July, 2019 23:05
Green is simply not at the required level to deliver regularly.

Maybe in the future but for me he is a country mile behind CC.

OBs general point about our weak 9/10 axis has merit, but I actually believe our guys lack the confidence that comes from a decent run of performances.

FB is such a confidence player, yet we know from previous clubs that he can be consistent. The first few performances will be crucial.

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic
16 July, 2019 01:38
Quote:
Kidney Stone
Green is simply not at the required level to deliver regularly.
Maybe in the future but for me he is a country mile behind CC.

OBs general point about our weak 9/10 axis has merit, but I actually believe our guys lack the confidence that comes from a decent run of performances.

FB is such a confidence player, yet we know from previous clubs that he can be consistent. The first few performances will be crucial.

With Fred, and especially Rhys, it's their first attacking decision in the match that's crucial. If that goes right then they're fine for the rest of the game. If it goes wrong, then their heads drop and they start playing nervously. Perhaps we could just adopt a game plan where no attacking decisions at all are taken by the flyhalf in the first 15 minutes. Although that does sound a lot like Knuckles-ball.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn
16 July, 2019 09:46
Got a fb post from the club - exhorting us to 'buy' Premium.

What exactly do you get for your exra money? Genuine query - nothing would surprise me these days. Sorry for those not renewing, it hurts doesn't it.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer
16 July, 2019 09:51
Quote:
annie blackthorn
Got a fb post from the club - exhorting us to 'buy' Premium.
What exactly do you get for your exra money? Genuine query - nothing would surprise me these days. Sorry for those not renewing, it hurts doesn't it.

Are you returning to the fold Annie? You have certainly been very prominent on here (Sm100)

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn
16 July, 2019 22:44
No. That ship sailed a few seasons ago. One doesn't have to have a season ticket to express an opinion or ask a question. As many anonymous posters know.

But would appreciate an answer. (Most of my posts recently have been on Brexit btw).

dcsh
dcsh
17 July, 2019 19:45
Quote:
annie blackthorn
No. That ship sailed a few seasons ago. One doesn't have to have a season ticket to express an opinion or ask a question. As many anonymous posters know.

But would appreciate an answer. (Most of my posts recently have been on Brexit btw).
A discount in the shop.
Early access to buy match tickets.
And a chance to buy a season ticket the next season.
[www.bathrugby.com]

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi
19 July, 2019 19:28
[www.somersetlive.co.uk] Prices Compared

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net