Latest news:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Our temp coach?
Discussion started by Hamptonite (IP Logged), 12 July, 2019 16:27
Hamptonite
Hamptonite
12 July, 2019 16:27
Sorry, but no information on this from me but just thinking that we should be announcing whoever our temporary forwards coach is very shortly, as once the S and C guys have done their bit over the first few weeks, we need to be getting into the technicals!

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath
12 July, 2019 18:11
You should contact the club and offer your services, they seem happy to wing it with an unqualified DOR and no HC so reckon you'd have a decent chance of being appointed.. (Sm100)

ballsout
ballsout
12 July, 2019 18:54
You would hope so. I can easily see us striking out and not getting anyone.

Long Term
Long Term
12 July, 2019 19:58
(Sm78)

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
12 July, 2019 20:04
So forum posters are criticised for supposedly knowing more than Eddie and yet the club is criticised for knowing whether or not they need an additional coach?

If they feel they need one I guess they will get one - if they feel that they don’t or can’t get anyone good enough I guess they won’t?

[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
12 July, 2019 21:31
I mentioned that on the other thread Luke Charteris will be in place, the point was made that he is not versed in the dark arts of the front row, to be honest I'd be happy to wait if it meant we got our lineouts perfect.

Quite like Longterm's post, the world will still carry on turning even if we don't appoint.

https://i.ibb.co/Fz0bC3q/Unknown-1.jpg

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn
13 July, 2019 08:21
Well H, if you havn't heard anything on the grapevine/jungle drums network, of which you have many contacts, then its business as usual and the same situation persists.

ballsout
ballsout
13 July, 2019 11:13
Quote:
BathMatt53
So forum posters are criticised for supposedly knowing more than Eddie and yet the club is criticised for knowing whether or not they need an additional coach?
If they feel they need one I guess they will get one - if they feel that they don’t or can’t get anyone good enough I guess they won’t?

I know you like to pick fault in every single post, but this makes no sense.

The club said they want to get someone in. If they do, great. If they don't manage to...

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
13 July, 2019 17:33
ok I’ll try again. Eddie knows more than us - I agree with you. The club knows more than us as well about what they want and need and indeed if they have anyone lined up.

Sure it’s not perfect, but I just don’t see the constant requirement to literally criticise absolutely everything about the club at all times tbh.

wetside
wetside
13 July, 2019 18:43
Quote:
BathMatt53
ok I’ll try again. Eddie knows more than us - I agree with you. The club knows more than us as well about what they want and need and indeed if they have anyone lined up.
Sure it’s not perfect, but I just don’t see the constant requirement to literally criticise absolutely everything about the club 9at all times tbh.
+1

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
13 July, 2019 20:13
A temporary coach is temporary. So from now until Hats arrives what influential and high level coach is available for 4 months? Frankly I think taking on a temporary coach would be counterproductive to our preseason as they wont be around when Hats arrives. I thought the plan was that Hats has left instructions for preseason presumably to be overseen by Charteris and co

https://pbflaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mToRbTHGUTg0zWMi8LNeOlOmx4tZHsH3crYbASv0X_qWBw8j30S9KV-RiZIf_AWoOZXD7D3Rjy1tYRAKXykpZSHuOObVQBiovPpB6PnDUuBM6xlx2F1yOjKpEBmWUfMru3SCm255j3p-CnndC7J9ZUG29r1BtfFWHHj-MdzDOpzBuTRTPqNaco8ctf1svZyW0?width=106&height=160&cropmode=none
https://pbfkaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mhxY1k8zrLn92LwcIYgSd1KcA6zBGX-Wgw2dNz8Us0xA71EhjMmL2tc-ggx7OlsBDECw8eAZ_oAWnNyh5doimzOEics5H87cuh5Q-Sb-ViPD6Pt6QUBneu5F2tlWLltGQZ8pd5qFmsZwbKB39L5Dki21gJfnsiaxLiCiuWPCZUjkXp4EttajzFAgcCl6YuDDF?width=160&height=107&cropmode=none

Hamptonite
Hamptonite
13 July, 2019 21:12
Quote:
CoochieCoo
A temporary coach is temporary. So from now until Hats arrives what influential and high level coach is available for 4 months? Frankly I think taking on a temporary coach would be counterproductive to our preseason as they wont be around when Hats arrives. I thought the plan was that Hats has left instructions for preseason presumably to be overseen by Charteris and co

I think only someone from SH super rugby who would be on secondment until Christmas.
I’d be betting on a South African but I wouldn’t bet much!

gaz59
gaz59
13 July, 2019 21:34
Well evem Jones himself has been known to take on a short term coaching consultancy. Not for one minute suggesting him for the rec but just shows big names can be available for short term assignments

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
13 July, 2019 21:53
Well if such a person is available they have to be on the same wave length as Hats otherwise the players will get completely confused and it may end up in a shambles!

https://pbflaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mToRbTHGUTg0zWMi8LNeOlOmx4tZHsH3crYbASv0X_qWBw8j30S9KV-RiZIf_AWoOZXD7D3Rjy1tYRAKXykpZSHuOObVQBiovPpB6PnDUuBM6xlx2F1yOjKpEBmWUfMru3SCm255j3p-CnndC7J9ZUG29r1BtfFWHHj-MdzDOpzBuTRTPqNaco8ctf1svZyW0?width=106&height=160&cropmode=none
https://pbfkaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mhxY1k8zrLn92LwcIYgSd1KcA6zBGX-Wgw2dNz8Us0xA71EhjMmL2tc-ggx7OlsBDECw8eAZ_oAWnNyh5doimzOEics5H87cuh5Q-Sb-ViPD6Pt6QUBneu5F2tlWLltGQZ8pd5qFmsZwbKB39L5Dki21gJfnsiaxLiCiuWPCZUjkXp4EttajzFAgcCl6YuDDF?width=160&height=107&cropmode=none

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
13 July, 2019 22:41
Do you mean here?

Coffee shop in Bradford on Avon?

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/D7WXEH/the-shambles-coffee-shop-bradford-on-avon-a-small-town-in-wiltshire-D7WXEH.jpg

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

dcsh
dcsh
14 July, 2019 07:41
I didn’t get the email saying the club was looking for a temp coach (quirk of the comms department...) and have only seen if reported. We might not know for some time if being “under” staffed in the coaching department during preseason will have negative effect on the season, but recent history at the club does point to the need to have sufficient man power across the set up.

Blackadder’s last interview: His biggest regret [www.somersetlive.co.uk]

In terms of decisions he would have made differently, there was one above all others that he regretted.

When head and attack coach Tabai Matson left at the start of the 2017/18 season, only a year into his four-year contract, he was not replaced until after the campaign had ended.

The public reason given for his departure was that he was returning home due to family illness.

Blackadder, who worked with him at Crusaders in Super Rugby, said: “When Tabs left there was a void there.

"We were dealing with a lot of events at that time – injuries and other stuff – and Toby Booth, Darren Edwards and I were overworked.”

"I know I could have done a better job, but it was so much for three guys when we were playing in four competitions.”

"We were chasing our tails. We were just surviving rather than thriving. We should have brought an attack coach in.”

gaz59
gaz59
14 July, 2019 08:54
Quote:
CoochieCoo
Well if such a person is available they have to be on the same wave length as Hats otherwise the players will get completely confused and it may end up in a shambles!

Agreed but that is a quality that a quality consultant in any field will bring. Deliver to the brief and the brief, as I recall it reported, is to start coaching the system and techniques that Hats wants to see in place

ballsout
ballsout
14 July, 2019 10:08
Quote:
BathMatt53

Ok?

If they know they want someone, if they try and get someone... and fail to do so and yet again have to backtrack on a PR statement... that's poor, if unsurprising.

Hopefully they'll find someone.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
01 August, 2019 15:48
[www.bathrugby.com]

Q: It’s clear that temporary coaching support isn’t needed, can you explain why?

It was only going to happen if we found the right person, but also if we felt it was the right thing after we’d been through the process.

It’s really important to realise it isn’t happening and that’s not because we couldn’t find the right person, but we absolutely believe it’s not the right thing to deliver the best programme for the lads.

This a misconception that if you chuck ‘Mr X’, who is a fantastic defence coach in the middle of this it makes your defence better.

As we’ve demonstrated with the game model, there’s a relationship with the whole game as there’s a relationship between a group of staff and 63 players. It’s so much more complex than one person coming in.

We absolutely believe in the people we have on the grass at the moment and the people that can deliver our defence between now and into the season before Neal (Hatley) comes back.

ballsout
ballsout
01 August, 2019 16:32
It's incredibly scary going into a Premiership campaign without a recognised, experienced defence or forwards coach. I'd almost go as far as to say it's madness. But if they genuinely looked at candidates and genuinely decided it wouldn't be in their best interest, then fair enough. If things don't go well early on it's putting a lot on Hats' shoulders to come in and try and instantly make a difference.

That's the second time in the space of a year Tarquin has had to reverse course on one of his long winded (and hastily cobbed together in this case) PR statements.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
01 August, 2019 17:10
When did Tarquin make a statement of a temp coach, I must have missed it?

ballsout
ballsout
01 August, 2019 17:51
Quote:
CoochieCoo
When did Tarquin make a statement of a temp coach, I must have missed it?

A couple of days after his 5000 word release on the coaching structure...

Quote:
Ali1969
Another early morning US flight - d'Oh..
Just received an alert on my mobile stating Bath are NOW looking for an experienced coach to cover the period whilst Hats is away.

God this goes from Bad to Worse - it is like a child is in charge of the club and media department....How amateurish is it to announce the coaching structure - no Head Coach and then a few days later announce a slight oversight and we have just realised we forgot to mention we might need to find a stop gap to cover Hats absence, and then you have to ask the question - the players will be trained by this temporary coach and then Hats will come in and do what??? Start all over again??? How on earth are the players going to know what to do.

Please oh Please say it has not taken the overwhelming condemnation on this forum and other social media for the CEO to realise he has completely and utterly **** up once again...

I just hope my pilot to Michigan is not one Tarquin McDonald...Will be checking my life vest is present!!!!(Sm135)

It was written in an email, which some people received, some didn't (Comms on point as ever), but the Chron picked up the story shortly after.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
01 August, 2019 18:24
So your accusation is based on someone getting an alert! Ummm! What I want to know is what did Tarquin say about getting a temp coach. The Hoops video seems to state they discussed it and dismissed the idea, IMO quite rightly as I have previously posted. Your accusation is based on hearsay!

dcsh
dcsh
01 August, 2019 19:04
It was certainly quoted here:

“We are looking to provide additional resource with a particular focus on pre-season ahead of Neal joining the club,” Bath CEO Tarquin McDonald revealed in an email to supporters.
[www.somersetlive.co.uk]

As I said earlier in this thread I didn’t receive this email or see the full text republished, did anyone else?

ballsout
ballsout
01 August, 2019 19:13
Quote:
CoochieCoo
So your accusation is based on someone getting an alert! Ummm! What I want to know is what did Tarquin say about getting a temp coach. The Hoops video seems to state they discussed it and dismissed the idea, IMO quite rightly as I have previously posted. Your accusation is based on hearsay!

Here you go...

Quote:
dcsh
“We are looking to provide additional resource with a particular focus on pre-season ahead of Neal joining the club,” Bath CEO Tarquin McDonald revealed in an email to supporters.
[www.somersetlive.co.uk]

As I said earlier in this thread I didn’t receive this email or see the full text republished, did anyone else?

So, like I said, second time he's had to backtrack on a statement in 12 months. I can't explain why some people got the message and some didn't, the word "amateurish" springs to mind in that regard, again.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
01 August, 2019 19:18
Quote:
dcsh
[www.somersetlive.co.uk]

“Bath Rugby are looking for an extra coach to bolster their backroom team this Summer.”

That probably refers to the recent appointment not temporary cover IMO. I was told that Hatley’s absence would be covered by existing coaches and he has left specific preseason instructions. The point is I do not recall and cannot find a specific statement by Tarquin that he was after a temp which he has been accused of as back tracking!

ballsout
ballsout
01 August, 2019 19:36
Quote:
CoochieCoo
Quote:
dcsh
[www.somersetlive.co.uk]

“Bath Rugby are looking for an extra coach to bolster their backroom team this Summer.”

That probably refers to the recent appointment not temporary cover IMO. I was told that Hatley’s absence would be covered by existing coaches and he has left specific preseason instructions.

What recent appointment?

Quote:
The point is I do not recall and cannot find a specific statement by Tarquin that he was after a temp which he has been accused of as back tracking!

Erm, it was said right here...

Quote:
“We are looking to provide additional resource with a particular focus on pre-season ahead of Neal joining the club,” Bath CEO Tarquin McDonald

The club literally owned today about how they interviewed lots of candidates but decided not to appoint anyone in the end.

dcsh
dcsh
01 August, 2019 20:23
In the same article it states:
“Somerset Live understands the new face will be experienced and tasked with working on defence; using the system Hatley wants put in place, rather than their own philosophy.

Talks with potential candidates have been taking place and it is hoped they will be able to provide extra resource for about five months.”

It is pretty clear that this is not talking about the recently announced strength & conditioning or medical staff.

If the club considered bringing in a temp coach and then discounted it that is absolutely their right. From a defence perspective it shouldn’t be forgotten that they can also call on Pierre Broncan’s experience, he was previously Toulouse defence coach. This was mentioned by Hooper in today’s video.
[www.bathchronicle.co.uk]

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
01 August, 2019 20:48
The point is BO I asked where has Tarquin made a statement that he is looking for a temporary coach for Hatley you have latched onto quotes from the Chron of more resources and mysterious emails. The point is that he is reported by the Chron to have said that he is looking into providing more resources to help. He didn’t specifically state a temporary coach.

We have had the explanation from Hoops no doubt you do not accept it because it doesn’t suit your agenda. So be it!

ballsout
ballsout
01 August, 2019 20:54
Quote:
CoochieCoo
The point is BO I asked where has Tarquin made a statement that he is looking for a temporary coach for Hatley you have latched onto quotes from the Chron of more resources and mysterious emails. The point is that he is reported by the Chron to have said that he is looking into providing more resources to help. He didn’t specifically state a temporary coach.
We have had the explanation from Hoops no doubt you do not accept it because it doesn’t suit your agenda. So be it!

What are you on about.

I’ve already said fair enough re: Hoops’ reasoning for not getting a temporary coach in. My point has always been about Tarquin constantly having to U-Turn.

Are you accusing the Chron of lying and making up a statement? If not then there’s no argument. An S&C coach isn’t going to “fill in” for Hats. Hooper himself was asked about this temporary coach so it was quite clearly spoken about.

It’s ok to say fair enough I was wrong.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
01 August, 2019 21:19
It is not a u turn they discussed their “looking into” and agreed it would not be productive. That is the correct decision and hurrah to Tarquin and Hoops so nothing to back track.

At least you have given the club a small recognition, although not full endorsement, in your fair enough comment. Do keep it up for the sake of balance!

dcsh
dcsh
01 August, 2019 21:21
This appears to be the message from Tarquin, while is does contain the quote used on SomersetLive, it doesn’t explicitly mention a temp coach.
[www.bathrugby.com]

ballsout
ballsout
01 August, 2019 21:39
Quote:
CoochieCoo
It is not a u turn they discussed their “looking into” and agreed it would not be productive. That is the correct decision and hurrah to Tarquin and Hoops so nothing to back track.
At least you have given the club a small recognition, although not full endorsement, in your fair enough comment. Do keep it up for the sake of balance!

Bit rich for you to talk about balance? You never so much as hint at a criticism towards the club, so don't get all high and mighty please.

Hooper himself talks about the appointment being a temporary coach. So that's not in question. My point is there was no need for Tarquin to talk about appointments before they're done. You just get egg on your face if it doesn't happen, which is frequently the case with this club.

He U-turned on Blackadder and now he's forced to U-turn again. At the end of the day who cares, it's not a big deal, it just makes him look a bit foolish and the club amateurish, but it's not worth this argument being dragged on for so long.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
02 August, 2019 06:02
Tarquin never specifically mention that they were going to employ a new temp coach. His words were they were looking at providing more resources.

As it now transpires from Hoops words they realised they could manage without. His comment about the temp coach.

Quote:
It was only going to happen if we found the right person, but also if we felt it was the right thing after we’d been through the process.
It’s really important to realise it isn’t happening and that’s not because we couldn’t find the right person, but we absolutely believe it’s not the right thing to deliver the best programme for the lads.

That is the outcome of Tarquin’s “looking into” comment. Time will tell whether the Club was right or wrong. So democratic discussion, decision and no u turn!

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
02 August, 2019 07:14
Quote:
CoochieCoo
That is the outcome of Tarquin’s “looking into” comment. Time will tell whether the Club was right or wrong.

This is the key to it all really, will what seems to be minimalist coaching work? I'm a bit nervous to be honest but as you say time will tell.

JFPC
JFPC
02 August, 2019 07:57
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
CoochieCoo

Bit rich for you to talk about balance? You never so much as hint at a criticism towards the club, so don't get all high and mighty please.

Hooper himself talks about the appointment being a temporary coach. So that's not in question. My point is there was no need for Tarquin to talk about appointments before they're done. You just get egg on your face if it doesn't happen, which is frequently the case with this club.

He U-turned on Blackadder and now he's forced to U-turn again. At the end of the day who cares, it's not a big deal, it just makes him look a bit foolish and the club amateurish, but it's not worth this argument being dragged on for so long.

As I understand it Bath's statement should have been read as "We might be a bit short in the scrum/defence coaching area before Hats' arrival, if we decide we are AND the right person is available we will employ them.

Changing the context but using the same phrasing: Me being daft enough to say to my kids "I am looking to go on holiday" does not mean they should be packing their bucket and spade anytime soon!

I never read it as we definitely intend to recruit an extra temporary coach despite hoping that we would.

In this instance I don't feel T. McD. has made a " U turn" although his original statement could have been worded more clearly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2019 08:05 by JFPC.

ballsout
ballsout
02 August, 2019 08:11
Quote:
CoochieCoo
Tarquin never specifically mention that they were going to employ a new temp coach. His words were they were looking at providing more resources.

New napkins for the canteen? Maybe some new light fixtures or a coat of paint on the toilets door?

If you're not certain, don't say it. Then you won't get a thread titled "our temp coach?" on the supporter message board.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2019 08:12 by ballsout.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
02 August, 2019 09:22
Quote:
JFPC
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
CoochieCoo

As I understand it Bath's statement should have been read as "We might be a bit short in the scrum/defence coaching area before Hats' arrival, if we decide we are AND the right person is available we will employ them.

Changing the context but using the same phrasing: Me being daft enough to say to my kids "I am looking to go on holiday" does not mean they should be packing their bucket and spade anytime soon!

I never read it as we definitely intend to recruit an extra temporary coach despite hoping that we would.

In this instance I don't feel T. McD. has made a " U turn" although his original statement could have been worded more clearly.

Agreed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net