Latest news:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Assessing Ruaridh McConnochie And The Value Of Wingers
Discussion started by spongey (IP Logged), 02 September, 2019 19:09
MESSAGES->author
spongey
02 September, 2019 19:09
Hey here's a blog piece about Ruaridh McConnochie and the value of wingers in general. Hopefully it can give us all something to discuss and think about.

Link

P G Tips
P G Tips
03 September, 2019 09:58
Interesting Spongey.

I think your point about Exeter's wingers is really that Exeter are very good at making something out of players that other clubs are starting to give up on- not just on the wing. Kvesic is a case in point from the back row.

Also, while I would not deny for a moment the value of players in other positions, or the ability of less high profile wingers to score tries when the rest of the team create the opportunities, I think you miss a key psychological element in having "X factor" wings in your squad.

Think of the roars at Bath when Roko, Watson, McConnochie (or going back. a while Maddock or Abendanon) get their hands on the ball.

You can hear the same at other clubs - May, Maitland, Ashton, Strettle, at Twickenham, Cardiff or Lansdowne Road.

These are often the stardust players who get a crowd behind a team. That is a value hard to enumerate in statistics.

PG

JFPC
JFPC
03 September, 2019 10:18
Interesting article, but I thought it shot itself in the foot by choosing McConnochie as the example. In the article it mentions full back as being a higher priority position to spend money on: Quote "I think teams should value positions like tight head prop, ball winning loose forwards, fly halves and FULL BACKS (my emphasis) where really good ones are hard to find and there is a larger gap in quality between the best starters and the worst starters"

I thought Ruaridh played fullback as well as wing?!?

opti
Optimist
03 September, 2019 10:40
Ruaridh is only considered a full-back because he is so blooky far ahead of where he was expected to be at this stage in his 15s career.

warrenball
warrenball
03 September, 2019 11:03
I think I would agree more if the only job of a wing was to score tries, but the really great wingers are far more than this. Indeed try scoring is probably the easiest part of their job, intelligent reading of the game, taking high balls and defence are all vital skills in this position.

SarrieSaint
SarrieSaint
03 September, 2019 16:52
Very interesting piece but anyone writing that winger just find themselves in the right place at the right time is seriously undervaluing the work World-class wingers do in getting themselves in those positions. Ashton was possibly one of the best in the World in that regard and it has very little to do with being "lucky"

MR is meaningless in that analysis. The omission of minutes played, tries scored and assists (to a lesser extent) pretty significant. McC seems to come with an awful lot of hype and I've not seen enough of him at Bath to know if he justifies it. I wouldn't have had him in the England squad even before he was out injured for three of his four trial games but that's more to do with the balance of the squad than anything else. Also for me Coka is already filling the bolter slot and picking two in the backs seems an indulgence.

Pretty sure that if Elliott Daly is an International fullback then pretty much anyone can do it these days.

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic
04 September, 2019 09:13
Quote:
SarrieSaint
Very interesting piece but anyone writing that winger just find themselves in the right place at the right time is seriously undervaluing the work World-class wingers do in getting themselves in those positions. Ashton was possibly one of the best in the World in that regard and it has very little to do with being "lucky"
MR is meaningless in that analysis. The omission of minutes played, tries scored and assists (to a lesser extent) pretty significant. McC seems to come with an awful lot of hype and I've not seen enough of him at Bath to know if he justifies it. I wouldn't have had him in the England squad even before he was out injured for three of his four trial games but that's more to do with the balance of the squad than anything else. Also for me Coka is already filling the bolter slot and picking two in the backs seems an indulgence.

Pretty sure that if Elliott Daly is an International fullback then pretty much anyone can do it these days.

Elliot Daly is fairly clearly not an international full back - at least not defensively. I'm rather hoping Anthony shines this weekend. Maybe then the scales will drop from Eddie's eyes.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

opti
Optimist
04 September, 2019 09:27
If Watson shines, then Daly becomes a very, very handy utility player on the bench. I don't mind that at all.

SarrieSaint
SarrieSaint
04 September, 2019 10:28
Joe I'd really like that too but feel that Jones has nailed his colours very firmly to the Daly mast. The guy has had 15? games at fullback and still looks less convincing than most Academy players there and yet he's still backed. Watson in contrast is an actual fullback and a good quality one. In my ideal scenario he'd have been given this whole summer series to prove he should be playing there.

P G Tips
P G Tips
04 September, 2019 10:57
I wonder if Ruaridh might get 20 minutes or so at 15 on Friday night?

Why not? He could do a good job there.

PG

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net