Latest news:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Interesting...
Discussion started by joethefanatic (IP Logged), 12 September, 2019 01:23
MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic
12 September, 2019 01:23
[www.nzherald.co.nz]

Analysis of England's attacking game.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
12 September, 2019 01:54
That is a really interesting article, almost American Football style blocking going on all over the field! Well worth the time to read and go through each pic. The video doest play, its not available as a YouTube link by any chance is it. Link would be fantastic.

https://i.ibb.co/sbQsmcr/darren-atkins-5.jpg

Darren Atkins Age 21 years, Fullback, 6 ft 1 in, 13 st 4 lbs. Sadly injured for the rest of the season!

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck
12 September, 2019 08:15
Not particularly complimentary, suggesting we kick whilst the AB pass and only get success from it because of illegal blocking. Of course, the AB would never do anything like blocking.

P G Tips
P G Tips
12 September, 2019 09:15
All true, but 3 points:

1. The positioning of "blockers" is only illegal if physical contact is made
2. New Zealand have been using these tactics for years (remember their outrage when W Barnes yellow carded one of them for a block and obstruction, costing them the RWC 07 QF?)
3. New Zealand kick more than they pass.

Isn't the NZ Herald the xenophobic paper that likes to whip up dislike of anything foreign?

PG

redmix
redmix
12 September, 2019 09:23
interesting article, however, I think England have already moved on from this. Whilst they might still use the kick chase, I think the warm up games showed other options as well. England used the warm ups to run through other game plans, sticking to one almost throughout any given match. I think they might have picked the game plan to test it against a team that play a particular way. Think expansive game in the opener at Twickenham against Wales, vs the tighter game at St James Park against Italy. Not just to do with the personnel, although the teams may have been tweaked to match the game plans, but a specific plan for a given match designed to test England's abilities. But do we have the squad that can deliver?

John Tee
John Tee
12 September, 2019 10:58
I laugh when the perception might be the AB's dont kick ...
They orchestrate it very well as a non contested kick is a otherwise desperate tactic.

You need to turn a 50 50 into something better and although May chases these down well, it isnt a great tactic when used by England..but sometimes a necessary one, come what may.

Nz have both options covered. good kick and they trust their ball retention.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net