Latest news:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Cycling to Japan for the World Cup (Partially O/T)
Discussion started by Bath Supporter Jack (IP Logged), 01 October, 2019 17:46
Bath Supporter Jack
Bath Supporter Jack
01 October, 2019 17:46
Now that my son has arrived in Japan a couple of days ago I thought I would share his adventure and challenge on 'ere!

He resigned from his job in Amsterdam in December 2018, and very kindly his ex-employers have said once he finished his project he should contact them as there might be a job for him to come back to.

He set of from the Dingle, furthest West in Ireland, on February 15th and travelled by bicycle to Istanbul on his own where he was then joined by a mate and they have followed the Silk Route and have now ended up in Japan, just in time to watch Japan v Ireland in a bar surrounded by Japanese people!

They are now cycling the final section up to Sapporo where they will finish...…….subject to snow and general weather!

Please follow the link below to their web-site where there are a lot of great photographs, taken by Rob, and some interesting/amusing/thought provoking narrative produced by Harry.

They are doing it to raise funds to put a solar array into an orphanage in Ulan Battur, capital of Mongolia, the power for which is currently taken from four ancient USSR coal powered power stations on the four corners of UB which significantly contribute to UB being considered to be the most polluted capital city in the World...….even worse than Delhi by all accounts!

Harry played Mini-Rugby for Bradford on Avon and was then enticed over to play Youth Rugby for Bath at the age of 12. He watches Bath matches on the internet, including on this trip (!) and plans his returns home to coincide with home matches! He played for Delhi when he was working in India and got to the Asian Club Finals where they were beaten by the Indian Army! He plays in Amsterdam where there about six clubs and interestingly the majority of the players are Dutch.

He and I now go on one European away game a season and a few years ago were in Paris against Stade Francais, in Toulon and then last year Toulouse and will be going to Clermont in mid December.

Rising Sun Cycle

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
01 October, 2019 19:33
Wow! What an awesome adventure.

[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

gaz59
gaz59
01 October, 2019 20:50
Amazing stuff and great stories. Loved the tales of the drunken uncles, fantastic name for a Vets team!

But equally amazing is he's not alone in doing that epic journey. I know of a group of retired men who have done same, some who are planning on cycling back. Wow!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net