Latest news:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Injuries
Discussion started by ballsout (IP Logged), 01 October, 2019 19:35
ballsout
ballsout
01 October, 2019 19:35
Ominous signs re: the players' conditioning if two games in we've already lost Miles Reid for the season (a hammer blow), and now Max Green and Tom De Glanville for a while. McNally off early on Saturday and probably a couple others I'm forgetting...

[www.bathrugby.com]

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi
01 October, 2019 20:28
Chudley?

TG Kesmo
TG Kesmo
01 October, 2019 20:32
Again these are collision injuries if it was muscle strains then I would be worried. Collision injuries are either poor technique or bad luck usually the latter. If we were seeing muscle tears or non collision injuries trending then maybe S&C could be lacking.

Omba
Omba
01 October, 2019 20:33
OK, I'll bite......conditioning? Broken Arm?

gaz59
gaz59
01 October, 2019 20:53
And McNally's injury was due to an illegal clear-out

Difficult to see how you criticise the S + C team for that one!

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865
01 October, 2019 21:10
Nice to have a moan though.

ChippenhamRoman
ChippenhamRoman
01 October, 2019 21:11
Hard news to see the injuries this early.

That’s also assuming our WC lads don’t come back broken.

Not good.

J

opti
Optimist
01 October, 2019 21:32
The only ‘ominous sign’ is that it’s going to be another f’ing long season of bo sharing his unique brand of misoBathy with nobody who’s actually asked for it.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
01 October, 2019 21:52
Reasons aside, it certainly is a blow to lose those 3 young lads so early - was hoping to see a bit of them whilst the internationals were at the RWC. Whilst we will have to wait until next year to see Reid, hopefully the others are back before too long.

[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

ballsout
ballsout
01 October, 2019 23:26
Once again, Chudley isn't injured. He was subbed off.

Quote:
Optimist
The only ‘ominous sign’ is that it’s going to be another f’ing long season of bo sharing his unique brand of misoBathy with nobody who’s actually asked for it.

But everyone's asking for your posts and terrible puns.

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865
02 October, 2019 11:37
So before we move on, we're all dismissing the "Ominous signs re: the players' conditioning" start to this thread as complete rubbish?

Sure, we've got some injuries to our young guys, which is a shame but part of the game and the same for all clubs. So blaming this fact on the players' conditioning and, by extension, the club is total nonsense.

And it's this nonsense, for me, that makes it hard to conduct an even-handed assessment of certain posters more measured posts.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath
02 October, 2019 12:07
Quote:
BathMatt53
Reasons aside, it certainly is a blow to lose those 3 young lads so early - was hoping to see a bit of them whilst the internationals were at the RWC. Whilst we will have to wait until next year to see Reid, hopefully the others are back before too long.

+1

At this rate of bad luck injuries we're going to be a bit short until after the RWC. Was particularly interested to see how Tom De Glanville was going to get on during the early part of the season.

ballsout
ballsout
02 October, 2019 12:29
Quote:
dr.bath1865
So before we move on, we're all dismissing the "Ominous signs re: the players' conditioning" start to this thread as complete rubbish?
Sure, we've got some injuries to our young guys, which is a shame but part of the game and the same for all clubs. So blaming this fact on the players' conditioning and, by extension, the club is total nonsense.

And it's this nonsense, for me, that makes it hard to conduct an even-handed assessment of certain posters more measured posts.

Us being worse off than every other club injury-wise is just bad luck then. Ok.

copester
copester
02 October, 2019 12:34
As said above, terrible luck for the young guys injured but they have time on their side and I am sure will come back stronger.
From a selection point of view i would argue that for the Bristol game we should still be able to field a good team, God only knows what would happen if Mercer, Ellis or Homer get injured

adopted player 19/20. Max Wright
18/19. Cooper Vuna.

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865
02 October, 2019 12:37
So explain how a broken arm is down to poor conditioning, as per your original post?

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi
02 October, 2019 13:12
[www.somersetlive.co.uk] Injury Updates 2nd October

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
02 October, 2019 14:18
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
dr.bath1865

Us being worse off than every other club injury-wise is just bad luck then. Ok.

I don’t think we are BO. Saints for example have started the season with a long list. Wasps last season had more injuries than us I'm sure. The key ones such as Obano and Watson were the season before and England duty anyway. I wouldn’t know where to find the club by club injury stats unfortunately so that’s just my options based on what I have seen on other boards.

MESSAGES->author
hemington
02 October, 2019 14:41
Never let facts and common sense get in the way of Eeyore's objectivity!

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
02 October, 2019 15:00
Wuss seem to have a crisis after that game as well! Schonert is out for a period having torn his MCL. He was replaced by Palframan who failed the HIA test. Mudariki also has a “slight” ankle issue. So they are short of props for their Exeter game! Terrible luck!

https://pbflaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mToRbTHGUTg0zWMi8LNeOlOmx4tZHsH3crYbASv0X_qWBw8j30S9KV-RiZIf_AWoOZXD7D3Rjy1tYRAKXykpZSHuOObVQBiovPpB6PnDUuBM6xlx2F1yOjKpEBmWUfMru3SCm255j3p-CnndC7J9ZUG29r1BtfFWHHj-MdzDOpzBuTRTPqNaco8ctf1svZyW0?width=106&height=160&cropmode=none
https://pbfkaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mhxY1k8zrLn92LwcIYgSd1KcA6zBGX-Wgw2dNz8Us0xA71EhjMmL2tc-ggx7OlsBDECw8eAZ_oAWnNyh5doimzOEics5H87cuh5Q-Sb-ViPD6Pt6QUBneu5F2tlWLltGQZ8pd5qFmsZwbKB39L5Dki21gJfnsiaxLiCiuWPCZUjkXp4EttajzFAgcCl6YuDDF?width=160&height=107&cropmode=none

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck
02 October, 2019 16:37
Quote:
ballsout
.....we've already lost Miles Reid for the season (a hammer blow)....

This is what happens when players take up DIY, he should have paid a carpenter, much safer.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer
02 October, 2019 16:37
No doubt it is just bad luck ......again. It was really important that after endless seasons of excessive numbers of long term injuries Hooper would at least be spared that handicap but already it seems not to be so. Injuries have had a major impact on other clubs too, though I doubt to the extent they have with us, and you wonder if the games is just too attritional. It will be difficult to assess whether the team is progressing if players are continuously lost for weeks on end & chopping & changing & playing players out of position is required. Conditioning is evidently not the problem but is there sometimes a recklessness in some players approach to the game. We want players to be wholehearted & fully committed but does this sometimes go too far?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
02 October, 2019 17:32
...but whilst it is bad for the player I don't think that Bath are any worse than anyone else?

Total new injuries (i.e. not those recovering from long term problems which occurred last season, like Atkins):

- Reid (yes OK terrible, but surely not preventable?)
- Green (pretty bad, but surely not preventable?)
- De Glanville (no idea what it is or how he did it?)
- McNally (sounds like its just a bump - only way of preventing is to get that thug Fatialofa to stop hitting players with illegal cheap shots like he did with Ellis)

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
02 October, 2019 17:43
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
Optimist

BTW I can, hand on heart, say that I would always take a terrible pun and a sensible (pragmatic / balanced) post over relentless pessimism any day of the week. One I just nod or shake my head a little, the other I hold my head and sigh. A lot. Maybe that's just me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2019 18:08 by BathMatt53.

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi
02 October, 2019 19:06
"Maybe that's just me."

Perhaps this could be the subject of the next COML poll?

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck
02 October, 2019 20:09
If we are going to coin new words like misoBathy, how about Bathtopia? Like distopia except it means Bath Rugby's world isn't quite as bad as some fans think it is.

Trawling
Trawling
02 October, 2019 20:58
What is ominous is the sound of soap boxes being dragged out and the usual suspects claiming assertions and opinions as fact - hello Ballsout!

gaz59
gaz59
03 October, 2019 08:09
Good game and ok I'm gonna get there before BO

Bathetic!

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic
03 October, 2019 08:20
Quote:
gaz59
Bathetic!

VERY good smiling smiley

Bathos - an effect of anticlimax created by an unintentional lapse in mood from the sublime to the trivial or ridiculous.

The last 10 minutes of so many games....

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2019 08:22 by joethefanatic.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
03 October, 2019 08:53
An ‘Ostiobath’: A medical practitioner trained in making bones and ligaments much easier to injure in matches when compared with all other premiership teams.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
03 October, 2019 08:53
Quote:
gaz59
Bathetic!

That could stick, though I don't want to here it as an adjective this season thanks!

https://i.ibb.co/Fz0bC3q/Unknown-1.jpg

Beno Obano Age 24 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
03 October, 2019 09:30
Bath bun: Max Clark's match hairdo
Hat Stand: New Bath coach loses at musical chairs

...This has turned into a game of 'New additions to the Uxbridge English dictionary'...

Trawling
Trawling
03 October, 2019 10:18
Recreation Grind - either how the home of the BBW is pronounced by the more well to do Quins fans, or an alternative description for an 'arm wrestle' in a home game.

opti
Optimist
03 October, 2019 11:04
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
Optimist

You do realise that's not actually a pun, right? It's a pretty terrible neologism - I'll (Paul) grant you that.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck
03 October, 2019 17:01
Pultknee'd - medical term for an ACL injury whilst playing for Bath.

Trawling
Trawling
03 October, 2019 19:23
Chilcott: where props with man flu lie down to recover.

gaz59
gaz59
04 October, 2019 08:10
The Hat Stand, what a great suggestion for the new stadium. Get the architects to draw up new plans along the lines of gherkin and cheese grater - give it a victoriana style and the Nimbys will love it

Bathearse: slow, depressed walk home from watching your team snatch defeat from jaws of victory in closing minutes yet again

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
04 October, 2019 08:24
Quote:
Trawling
Chilcott: where props with man flu lie down to recover.

thumbs down

Beno Obano Age 24 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

TG Kesmo
TG Kesmo
04 October, 2019 10:01
Fortresswreck when defeat is snatched from the jaws of victory in the last 10 minutes

gaz59
gaz59
04 October, 2019 14:44
Bathological: obsessive compulsion to criticise everything in blue, black and white especially leadership and coaching

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi
04 October, 2019 15:37
Bathyscathe: a vessel used to plumb new depths in order to criticise a teams performance/management.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath
04 October, 2019 16:16
Bathtopia: The state of things where everything at Bath is perfect and we have won the PL.

gaz59
gaz59
05 October, 2019 00:12
Bathessimistic: the unshakeable belief that the opposition have far greater grind, oomph and go forward up front coupled with a scintillating, searing, penetrating backline supported by a brilliant coaching team and only international class recruitment so that our puny boys who have had to prepare in a soft, cuddly environment of slippers, towelling robes and pink gins at their spa training resort and a totally incompetent coaching team will have exactly zero chance of troubling the scorecard

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
05 October, 2019 08:51
Recwash: To win when the opposition fail to score at the recreation ground.

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007
06 October, 2019 20:05
Psychobath - believing that it was never in doubt

Stuart

Former ed.

Deckchair
Deckchair
07 October, 2019 09:00
Bathmobile
Bruce "Wayne" Craig's backfiring runaround for would-be heroes in tights.
Also a Rec rugby dream.

redmix
redmix
07 October, 2019 16:22
Bathbo - one who can only see that things are wrong

badger1664
badger1664
08 October, 2019 13:43
And games can be watched with a pint of Black rat from a bottomless chalice. I fear Bathtopia under Sir Edmund Hoopadder remains but a dream.

gaz59
gaz59
08 October, 2019 16:49
Bathbomb: ability to regularly produce a second half performance that plunges new depths of mediocrity thus wiping out a seemingly unassailable position from first half dominance

Bathenfreude: perverse sense of gratification from own team producing a Bathbomb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2019 17:01 by gaz59.

Bammer II
Bammer II
08 October, 2019 17:58
Perry-Perry - hot play from the Bath fullback.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck
08 October, 2019 17:59
Bathorlicks - the half time drink that produces a poor 2nd half performance.

(other hot drinks are available.. )

sid the seagull
sid the seagull
08 October, 2019 18:34
Batherd

Not fussed about watching the blind lead the blind.

HOP

ChippenhamRoman
ChippenhamRoman
08 October, 2019 18:37
Quote:
gaz59
Bathbomb: ability to regularly produce a second half performance that plunges new depths of mediocrity thus wiping out a seemingly unassailable position from first half dominance
Bathenfreude: perverse sense of gratification from own team producing a Bathbomb

Haha, this is true.

The Bath-Zone. The area of the pitch in the oppositions 22 where when Bath are in possession, a certain knock on, pass behind a player, turnover at the breakdown or penalty for holding on the ground will happen.

J

MESSAGES->author
Duke of Earl
09 October, 2019 08:28
Bathollocks- a great deal of the PR guff and management speak that supporters get fed by the club.

Nothing can stop the Duke of Earl

redmix
redmix
09 October, 2019 09:35
Bathness - belief that doing the same thing over and over again will result in a different outcome

gaz59
gaz59
09 October, 2019 13:27
Bath-deprecating: a supporter's endlessly scornful, belittling criticism of players, coaches and owner of the rugby club he/she avers to support

gaz59
gaz59
09 October, 2019 13:27
Bath-deprecating: a supporter's endlessly scornful, belittling criticism of players, coaches and owner of the rugby club he/she avers to support

redmix
redmix
09 October, 2019 13:45
Bathness (alt) - measure of being the greatest of rugby clubs

opti
Optimist
09 October, 2019 14:54
Discomlbobulated - a state of being in which one is unable to post rational thoughts about Bath Rugby.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath
09 October, 2019 17:20
Well it's stretching it a bit, but how about;

"In the fields of Bath" - An area in midfield that causes Bath players to become statues allowing opposition players to pass through unhindered.

sid the seagull
sid the seagull
10 October, 2019 12:16
bloodBath.
When they pick a load of youngsters to give them ‘valuable’ game time and they get massacred.

PECK

gaz59
gaz59
10 October, 2019 15:49
Quote:
sid the seagull
bloodBath.
When they pick a load of youngsters to give them ‘valuable’ game time and they get massacred.

PECK

Very good Sid

Bathphoria: state of intense happiness arising from a totally unexpected victory and bloodBath had been fully anticipated

Trawling
Trawling
12 October, 2019 20:16
Fake Mews: a would be high end location somewhere around The Circus inhabited by BoB, BO and a few others

gaz59
gaz59
12 October, 2019 23:12
Quote:
Trawling
Fake Mews: a would be high end location somewhere around The Circus inhabited by BoB, BO and a few others

Very good T, like the double entendre there, have wandered around thise cobbled alleys after a few or more ciders in the old White Horse (rip)

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic
13 October, 2019 06:17
Quote:
gaz59
Quote:
Trawling

Very good T, like the double entendre there, have wandered around thise cobbled alleys after a few or more ciders in the old White Horse (rip)

Oh no. Next you'll be telling me that The Beehive at the bottom of Lansdowne Hill has closed. Very very good scrumpy in the back bar. Wait, what....?

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

P G Tips
P G Tips
13 October, 2019 16:24
Recanting

Taking back the nonsense predictions of a game spouted before the teams have been announced?

PG

P G Tips
P G Tips
13 October, 2019 16:43
Reclamation

Never in doubt?

P G Tips

Levi Davis: my adopted Player, 2019-20.

P G Tips
P G Tips
13 October, 2019 16:44
Recognition

Informed opinion about Bath Rugby.

P G Tips

Levi Davis: my adopted Player, 2019-20.

P G Tips
P G Tips
13 October, 2019 16:44
Glawsing over

Excusing Friday's limp opening 20 through the eventual come back.

PG

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub
13 October, 2019 17:05
Bathology -: Studying then dissecting the performance, I wonder if the coaches have a degree !
(Sm128)

Adopted Player 2018/19 Ross Batty
Adopted Player 2019/20 Jack Davies

"AN OUNCE OF ACTION IS WORTH A TON OF THEORY"
FRIEDRICH ENGELS

WestonLurker
WestonLurker
15 October, 2019 09:48
Quote:
P G Tips
Glawsing over
Excusing Friday's limp opening 20 through the eventual come back.

Hat
Tip

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net