Latest news:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Which nation had the most native born players playing for a different country at this year's RWC?
Discussion started by joethefanatic (IP Logged), 28 November, 2019 22:56
MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic
28 November, 2019 22:56
It wasn't who I thought...

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

JFPC
JFPC
28 November, 2019 23:22
On the basis that it's slightly left field, Australia?

Adopted player 2019/20 Will Chudley.

MESSAGES->author
hasta
28 November, 2019 23:28
South Africa?

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
28 November, 2019 23:36
Japan?

https://i.ibb.co/Fz0bC3q/Unknown-1.jpg

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic
28 November, 2019 23:38
It was England!

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic
28 November, 2019 23:39
Ah, I expressed it badly. The most native born players playing for OTHER countries...

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck
28 November, 2019 23:45
I would have said SA on the guess that a few played for Namibia.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
28 November, 2019 23:58
How do you show that then Joe?

Out of these names how do you know who isn't Japanese, I admit that Wimpie van der Walt might have dutch origin! (Sm22), (Brilliant name for a flanker).

Aseali Ai Valu, Uwe Helu, Kazuki Himeno, Shota Horie, Keita Inagaki, Koo Ji-won, Takuya Kitade, Yusuke Kizu, Lappies Labuschagné, Micheal Leitch (c), Amanaki Mafi, James Moore, Isileli Nakajima, Atsushi Sakate, Luke Thompson, Yoshitaka Tokunaga, Hendrik Tui, Wimpie van der Walt

Kenki Fukuoka, Timothy Lafaele, Lomano Lemeki, Rikiya Matsuda, Kotaro Matsushima, Ataata Moeakiola, Yutaka Nagare Ryoto Nakamura, Kaito Shigeno, Yu Tamura, Fumiaki Tanaka, Will Tupou, Ryohei Yamanaka

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic
29 November, 2019 00:07
Quote:
shipwrecked
Out of these names how do you know who isn't Japanese, I admit that Wimpie van der Walt might have dutch origin! (Sm22), (Brilliant name for a flanker).

Aseali Ai Valu, Uwe Helu, Kazuki Himeno, Shota Horie, Keita Inagaki, Koo Ji-won, Takuya Kitade, Yusuke Kizu, Lappies Labuschagné, Micheal Leitch (c), Amanaki Mafi, James Moore, Isileli Nakajima, Atsushi Sakate, Luke Thompson, Yoshitaka Tokunaga, Hendrik Tui, Wimpie van der Walt

Kenki Fukuoka, Timothy Lafaele, Lomano Lemeki, Rikiya Matsuda, Kotaro Matsushima, Ataata Moeakiola, Yutaka Nagare Ryoto Nakamura, Kaito Shigeno, Yu Tamura, Fumiaki Tanaka, Will Tupou, Ryohei Yamanaka

Oh dear, I should have done a better job of this. My question was about the country who had the most native born players playing for another one. So George North, born in Kings Lynn, playing for Wales, etc, etc.

I am perfectly happy to concede that Japan may well have had the most non-native players playing for it, but that wasn't what I intended to ask!

BTW, my source is an article in todays Grauniad smiling smiley

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/11/2019 00:08 by joethefanatic.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
29 November, 2019 00:43
No problem Joe, just can't get over the thought of a Dutch Japanese flanker called Wimpie!

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic
29 November, 2019 05:08
Quote:
joethefanatic
Quote:
shipwrecked

Oh dear, I should have done a better job of this. My question was about the country who had the most native born players playing for another one. So George North, born in Kings Lynn, playing for Wales, etc, etc.

I am perfectly happy to concede that Japan may well have had the most non-native players playing for it, but that wasn't what I intended to ask!

BTW, my source is an article in todays Grauniad smiling smiley

Well, I've done a bit more research and found this

[www.americasrugbynews.com]

It turns out the Grauniad wasn't even close. There were 52 NZ born players playing at the RWC for teams other than NZ. England had 19.

And Tonga was the country with the most non-native born players playing for them (mostly NZ-born to at least one Tongan parent) with 19.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/11/2019 05:10 by joethefanatic.

fat lock
fat lock
29 November, 2019 06:56
Good to see the Grauniad living up to it's reputation
The paper seems to be worse than ever to me - good reason why it has a free online access

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic
29 November, 2019 08:19
Quote:
fat lock
Good to see the Grauniad living up to it's reputation
The paper seems to be worse than ever to me - good reason why it has a free online access

And you can become a subscriber for, in a very "Guardian" way, basically no extra offering at all other than a recognition of the pleasure of continuing to read it. 50 years before the mast-head, man and boy, and I'm planning on at least 50 more.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/11/2019 08:27 by joethefanatic.

P G Tips
P G Tips
29 November, 2019 09:09
[quote joethefanatic][quote joethefanatic][quote shipwrecked]

It turns out the Grauniad wasn't even close. There were 52 NZ born players playing at the RWC for teams other than NZ. England had 19.

And Tonga was the country with the most non-native born players playing for them (mostly NZ-born to at least one Tongan parent) with 19.[/quote]

The mostly NZ-born players of Tongan parentage all have legitimate claims to play for Tonga though. How many of the rest of the 52 play for Samoa, Fiji or Australia -qualified via a parent?

That would re balance the argument (whatever it is) somewhat.
I expect also that many of the 19 English born have a parental claim on the country they actually represented.

PG

jameswood14
Woodpecker
29 November, 2019 12:23
That's pretty amazing that a country of that size can a) consistenly be the best in the world and b) supply 52 other players that can get into other national teams.

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy
29 November, 2019 12:45
Quote:
Woodpecker
That's pretty amazing that a country of that size can a) consistenly be the best in the world and b) supply 52 other players that can get into other national teams.

It is, but also remember all Kiwi born kids want to be rugby players. All other sports come a distant second.

MESSAGES->author
hemington
29 November, 2019 12:56
They don't seem to be too bad at cricket either.

JFPC
JFPC
29 November, 2019 13:04
Quote:
hemington

Well they're not as bad as England.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
29 November, 2019 13:47
Quote:
JFPC
Quote:
hemington

[www.theguardian.com]

[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

MESSAGES->author
hemington
29 November, 2019 16:46
Yes but they got to the final and are 1 test up at present. I wasn't saying they are the best - only suggesting that NZ can play more than one sport at a very high level.

JFPC
JFPC
29 November, 2019 17:02
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
JFPC
Quote:
hemington

[www.theguardian.com]

Indeed, England are doing well at pyjama cricket. They are in decline in real cricket, aka Test cricket.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
29 November, 2019 17:08
Yep, world ‘fun cricket’ champions - not sure how they are doing in test matches because it’s hard to stay awake through that stuff!

[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

jameswood14
Woodpecker
29 November, 2019 17:29
Quote:
hemington
Yes but they got to the final and are 1 test up at present. I wasn't saying they are the best - only suggesting that NZ can play more than one sport at a very high level.

I like to think that we try to play every sport, more so than others but I dont know if thats true e.g. Brazil and Germany dont play rugby or cricket (or not much)

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck
29 November, 2019 19:31
I think you need to break it down into winter and summer sports to make comparisons.

ken_jnr
ken_jnr
29 November, 2019 21:29
Boyce is becoming an absolute liability and Judge is getting close.

Edit: Wrong thread. I stand by it though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/11/2019 21:31 by ken_jnr.

P G Tips
P G Tips
29 November, 2019 23:25
Judge will come good.

He played well last season for Saracens.

PG

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net